Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794271 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:03 AM »
I've been doing SS exclusively since mid-November.

I didn't work out more than once or twice for almost 2 months due to horrible work-related stress; when I got back to the gym, my buddy had embarked upon Starting Strength. I just went with the flow, since I was weak as shit and skinny as fuck at that point.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »
I'm not sure why just being heavy means that you need more calories. Sure, it may take more to lug the extra weight around, but since most overweight folks are sedentary, I'd have thought that would even out.
basal metabolic rate is the amount of energy you need simply to keep your cells alive.  If you have more mass, you need more energy to sustain the body.  This is even assuming you haven't eaten for a while as your digestive system uses a huge amount of energy.  Probably if you go below your BMR, your body ends up hoarding fat.

But you're not supposed to consume the exact amount as your BMR.  You should do at least 1/3 more based on how much physical activity/exercise you do everyday.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:18 AM »
That makes sense, thanks.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
I'm trying my best to ween off bread.  That is my biggest weakness nutrition wise.  Today my carbs consisted of a sweet potatoe, green beans, broccoli and a sandwich I had for lunch. :'(

Edit: At least it was whole wheat bread, but I still gotta try to cut it out.

yeah, getting off bread doesn't seem like it would be a problem until you realize how convenient a sandwich is.  But I don't really avoid carbs so much as it's a coincidence that foods I eat aren't carb heavy.  I eat sandwiches all the time during the school semester because I don't have time to sit down and enjoy a nicer meal.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2010, 01:16:53 AM »
Carbs are so cheap and filling

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
I've been on a new plan for almost a week now.  My wife and I are not only watching calories, but we're watching what makes the calories that we are eating.  I've also been doing cardio on My Fitness Coach for the Wii.  It's not too bad, the exercises make you feel better, but the in-game trainer, Maya is a Nazi whore.
WTF

archie4208

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
Do you guys take any sort of supplements?  I take a multivitamin and two fish oil capsules when I wake up.  I'm trying to keep it cheap at the moment due to money concerns.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
SparkPeople.com does that for you, FYI.
PSP

Rman

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »
I'm trying my best to ween off bread.  That is my biggest weakness nutrition wise.  Today my carbs consisted of a sweet potatoe, green beans, broccoli and a sandwich I had for lunch. :'(

Edit: At least it was whole wheat bread, but I still gotta try to cut it out.

I just came back from a Indian curry buffet where must have had about 3 whole naans. Bread :drool

It's like booze - i know my body works better without it and I really can't defend my consumption of it in any way. I just can't stop. I did a low-carb diet for a year and by the end of it I was miserable, and the weight came back on as soon as I stopped. Moderating my intake is working out far better than going cold turkey.
Same here.  I usually eschew grains during the week, basing most of my meals on protein, natural fats, vegetables, with some planned exceptions and forget about stuff on weekends due to drinking and eating out, etc.

Not too big on supplements, myself.  I could never develop the habit.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Do you guys take any sort of supplements?  I take a multivitamin and two fish oil capsules when I wake up.  I'm trying to keep it cheap at the moment due to money concerns.

that's all I take. I'm sure I could go wild with stuff but I just don't see the point.
hex

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
Fish oil is all you need. It helps recovery a lot, and undoes a lot of the damage from excess carb consumption. If you change nothing else about your diet, take a lot of fish oil. You need a lot more than a couple of caps in the morning though - I take 15 a day. Yes, it gets expensive, but think of it as preemptive healthcare. Compared to what you spend on say, sandwiches, fish oil isn't expensive at all.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »
I should also add that, being in Japan where it's easy to get awesome fresh fish, I eat a ton of natural fish oil anyway. If I lived in some landlocked Midwestern state, I'd be taking more than 15 caps a day probably. Google or youtube 'high dose fish oil' and 'Dr. Barry Sears' for more on the science behind this.
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
In attempt to get my girly arms a bit buffer, I've been trying to do pushups. I can do 20 in a row, but like barely. Should I go crazy in exerting myself?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Yes?
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
Yes?

I mean, is it a good idea to do too many at once, or start off low and gradually go higher?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
'too many' is by definition not a good idea. Ask better questions and you'll get better answers.

Anyway, it's pretty simple.

1) Make sure you're doing them with good form:
[youtube=560,345]JcfkQioj7QY[/youtube]

2) Do as many as you can, several times a day. Aim to equal or better the number you did last time.

it's only push-ups, no great mysteries to be revealed. just go do it.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
I weighed myself yesterday and I've lost 13 lbs since October with 8 lbs being since Christmas.  Not drinking soda, excercise, along with decreasing sodium, sugar, carb, and calorie intake has been the biggest contributors to that.
WTF

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
Hit the gym after a two-day rest period and my energy level was in the dumps. I managed to do less reps on one particular machine than what I did the prior week. Whether or not this corresponds with me tracking and drastically reducing my caloric intake or just the two-day rest period, I'm not sure.

I just couldn't do much yesterday, because my stomach muscles were still sore from Sunday. I mean, it hurt to move around in my sleep they were so sore.

Oh well. Three straight days of cardio and crunches followed by getting my ass handed to me at 7 AM by my father. :-\
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
Squatted 205 today. :rock

Gonna do about 30 mins LISS in a little bit.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
I did 3 x5 @ 231lbs (metric weights...it was 105kg) yesterday, new PR for a 5RM. I don't really count a squat PR unless I do it 3 times in the same session now.

Got to add 2.5kg to that tomorrow :(

Not looking forward to it but edging closer to the benchmark of 1.5x bodyweight for 5RM (i weigh 160lbs now but usually even less)
vjj

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
I should also add that, being in Japan where it's easy to get awesome fresh fish, I eat a ton of natural fish oil anyway. If I lived in some landlocked Midwestern state, I'd be taking more than 15 caps a day probably. Google or youtube 'high dose fish oil' and 'Dr. Barry Sears' for more on the science behind this.

I steered clear of fish for the longest time, only eating the "safe" varieties; prepackaged, which in some cases isn't a bad idea, but I had really been missing out. I don't trust the fish here though, not like I do back home, which is a problem. By far the biggest issues I have with healthy living is cost, and reading through the bits about origin, which is incredibly important with fish, and especially if you're cooking for yourself and a kid. I do it with chicken and egg too, but not necessarily for health reasons.

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
It's great living in the Pacific Northwest. Tons of fantastic seafood.

Down to 160 lbs., aiming for 155.
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
I've visited Seattle once, and I totally fell in love with the seafood, and just about everything else too. I've been aiming to live there at some point, but whenever I'm in a position to move, the job market seems to be shit over there. :(

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »

I steered clear of fish for the longest time, only eating the "safe" varieties; prepackaged, which in some cases isn't a bad idea, but I had really been missing out. I don't trust the fish here though, not like I do back home, which is a problem. By far the biggest issues I have with healthy living is cost, and reading through the bits about origin, which is incredibly important with fish, and especially if you're cooking for yourself and a kid. I do it with chicken and egg too, but not necessarily for health reasons.

Yeah, the cost gets a bit silly. Almost everyone is forced to compromise. Such is the course of human civilization. Rich can eat well easily, poor folks have to be ingenious.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Did measurements today, after three weeks of working out. Lost 1.5" from my hip, 2.25" from my waist, 3" from my thighs and gained 2" on my arms. Chest remained the same. I'm assuming from gaining muscle.

Yay, tangible results for hard work! :rock
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Nice job!

Do you weigh yourself?
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
I have not weighed myself because - embarrassingly enough - I just ordered a scale that could handle my wide load last week. It has not arrived yet. My weight hasn't been exact for awhile now because of that, so I've been using measurements to track results. I'll be doing that in combination with my weight once the scale arrives.
PSP

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
I did 3 x5 @ 231lbs (metric weights...it was 105kg) yesterday, new PR for a 5RM.
Good work man.
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
I did 3 x5 @ 231lbs (metric weights...it was 105kg) yesterday, new PR for a 5RM.
Good work man.

thanks, but that's out of date already - i did 3 x5@107.5kg on Friday :)
When you start this, it seems like the workouts are spaced forever apart - now that I'm hitting PRs all the time, they seem to be rushing headlong at me. Terrifying. It took me 3 workouts to get all 3 at 105kg, so I had no expectation of doing 107.5kg the first time out. But there it is. Tomorrow is 110kg!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Did measurements today, after three weeks of working out. Lost 1.5" from my hip, 2.25" from my waist, 3" from my thighs and gained 2" on my arms. Chest remained the same. I'm assuming from gaining muscle.

Yay, tangible results for hard work! :rock

:rock

Willco gettin' it done

Once you get in that positive reinforcement cycle where you're seeing some payoff, it's just a matter of staying there. Every day from here will be hard, but at least it's pain that you know you can handle.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
I have not weighed myself because - embarrassingly enough - I just ordered a scale that could handle my wide load last week. It has not arrived yet. My weight hasn't been exact for awhile now because of that, so I've been using measurements to track results. I'll be doing that in combination with my weight once the scale arrives.
Aren't you in a gym, Wilco?  Does it have medical style scales there in the locker room?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »
I go to a gym once a week, but its a development gym (like for an apartment complex). While they have more equipment than I've seen at most, there is no medical scale.

The elliptical I have at home, and my Sunday workout days are done here too (my father comes over with weights, medicine ball, etc.).

So that's why I went ahead and ordered that scale. It should be here this week.

Thanks for kudos, Cormac. Its been tough and I can't tell you how close I was to not getting out of bed at 7 AM this morning. I am monitoring my calories pretty carefully, but I need to tweak it because I feel my energy has dropped like a rock since I cut back on what I eat dramatically.
PSP

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »
Good job Wilco!  Progress is always the best incentive to keep going.  The hardest part of any routine imo is the first few weeks but as soon as real results start showing you'll eventually get all Rainman about your excersize and intake....or at least that's the case for myself.

I think I hurt my leg out there this morning during my run, but it may just be dehydration.  Of course I could've cut my a mile and a half off my route and went home but I felt like that'd be cheating so I limped the rest of the way home.  I was going so slow there towards the end there that and old man jogging past me by.....embarrassing.  Thank god it was early and there weren't too many people around to see that.
Tacos

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »
Good work Will. I've been going to the gym when it opens (6am) in order to get my routine in before I go to work. I think it would be really difficult to go later in the day or after work
jon

archie4208

« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »
Good job, Willco.  :rock

I did 12 minutes HIIT today.  I got my HR up to 92% of my MHR.  No wonder I was only able to complete 12 minutes!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »
...and squatted 3x5 at 110kg/242lbs today. That's a PR in each of the last 3 sessions. What a fun, but terrifying program. I'm now warming up at weights that were PRs a few months ago.

Not gonna be catching :bow T EXP :bow2 anytime soon tho!
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:56 AM »
One day, I will be able to do that stuff. I have difficulty with the small stuff right now. :lol
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
Again, I like your attitude, Willco. Some people look at the length of the road, some people look at what awaits them at the end of it.

Squatting is definitely worth starting on ASAP, actually. You can do it with bodyweight to begin with - just standing up straight from a seated position is a great way to start. If you're going to work on strength at all, you may as well use the biggest muscles in your body - more strength gains/muscle, more calorie burning, even.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
I do them with an exercise ball against a hard wall and small weights. :lol
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2010, 01:04:25 AM »
That's fine. The reason I am keen on folks starting them early is that it takes quite a long time to learn how to do them correctly. You don't want to have jacked-up technique when you've got relatively heavy weights on your back, so the time to get the form down is now. Just focus on keeping the back straight, chest up, ass out, knees tracking over the feet and the strength will come with time.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
Since I've been going to fight club after getting back to Korea, my roundhouse kick has gotten pretty awesome again. It's a great feeling to knock the guy holding the bag back a few feet.

I really need to work on my defense more than anything. I should start jumping rope.

YOU TALKED ABOUT IT >:(
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »
Willco when you weigh yourself do you do it naked?
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
Only after eating a can of corn.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
delicious sundae
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2010, 01:08:26 AM »
You will watch as I eat it
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »
...and squatted 3x5 at 110kg/242lbs today. That's a PR in each of the last 3 sessions. What a fun, but terrifying program. I'm now warming up at weights that were PRs a few months ago.

Not gonna be catching :bow T EXP :bow2 anytime soon tho!

Thanks; it took me a decade to get where I'm at now.  In fact, for my 16th birthday (I'm 24 now), one of my birthday presents was a squat belt!  I still use it.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
Sadly, i don't have a decade's worth of testosterone left to exploit, mostly likely; i'm 38 now so any big gains better come fast!

vjj

archie4208

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
Sadly, i don't have a decade's worth of testosterone left to exploit, mostly likely; i'm 38 now so any big gains better come fast!

wait what? :o  your pics make you look mid/late 20s.

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
Ran for 30 minutes and then sprinted my ass off for 20 minutes straight.

That wasn't fun.
野球

duckman2000

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
Old people of EB :rock

archie4208

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »
220 squat today :rock

I started taking deadlifting seriously today too.  Only did 135 but I feel it is a decent foundation to work upon.  The scales say I haven't lost any weight, but I'm guessing that is muscle gains since my thighs are looking bigger and my shirts are fitting better.

duckman2000

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
I broke 300lbs x 5 DLs the other day, think I might have to try to load on some weight and see how heavy I can go for a single rep. Nothing amazing I know, but it's starting to feel heavy, getting to be a bit dizzy after lifts. Had a slump and had to go down quite a bit in weight, but it's been progressing nicely since then. Sleep and decent food does wonders.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2010, 05:07:39 PM »
Good work Duckman. I got to 320x5 myself the other day, but I'm only deadlifting once a week max on this program so it's been on the backburner. Still messes me up more than any other lift.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

wait what? :o  your pics make you look mid/late 20s.

the walking stick is out of the frame!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »
duckman - Did you ever give that 1-3-5 progression for the deadlift a shot? If you're deadlifting heavy 3 times a week or so, it's a great way to build it up fast. In case you need a reminder, just take your 5RM weight, add 5lbs to it, do 1 rep. Then do 3 reps the next session, 5 the next. Then add 5lbs, go down to 3 reps. Add 5lbs more, do 1 rep, rinse and repeat. It's a crazy fast progression but you'd be surprised how much you can milk it.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »
After keeping my daily caloric intake under 2,500 - my birthday dinner was a nightmare. I ate the equivalent of a day and a half worth of calories in one meal! Outback Steakhouse is a DEATH HOUSE (one entree + one dessert + one lite beer = 3,700 calories!!!). I was thinking of cutting down my calories to under 1,200 tomorrow to try and make up for tonight's decadence (in addition to 45 minutes of cardio). Is that safe?
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »
Will you die if you eat a few less calories today? No.

Is it a great idea? No. You run the risk of settling into a binge-and-purge lifestyle. Just stick to the 2,500 plan and don't worry about birthdays. Plus, your will to exercise will dry up real fast if you go seriously low-calorie. You wouldn't believe what I ate last night. 2 whole meals and 2 huge desserts.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
I just cannot believe that meal was so destructive. Rack of lambs + green beans + potatoes + Amstel Lite + Nutter Butter pie.

The pie was the worst. After checking the nutritional content online, a single slice is supposed to be for four people (it was just a slice, everyone got their own dessert!) and the entire slice was something like 1,700 calories!

I couldn't even eat all of it and that was even after boxing it to take home.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:34 PM »
duckman - Did you ever give that 1-3-5 progression for the deadlift a shot? If you're deadlifting heavy 3 times a week or so, it's a great way to build it up fast. In case you need a reminder, just take your 5RM weight, add 5lbs to it, do 1 rep. Then do 3 reps the next session, 5 the next. Then add 5lbs, go down to 3 reps. Add 5lbs more, do 1 rep, rinse and repeat. It's a crazy fast progression but you'd be surprised how much you can milk it.

Does this work well for increasing your max in other lifts?

yes.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
I just cannot believe that meal was so destructive. Rack of lambs + green beans + potatoes + Amstel Lite + Nutter Butter pie.

The pie was the worst. After checking the nutritional content online, a single slice is supposed to be for four people (it was just a slice, everyone got their own dessert!) and the entire slice was something like 1,700 calories!

I couldn't even eat all of it and that was even after boxing it to take home.

So the guilt only set in AFTER you took it home and tried to finish it there! :rofl

Cold, premeditated gluttony.
vjj