Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794345 times)

Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
Six mile run this morning and I'm feeling pretty good!
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
In case you haven't got the message yet, I don't recommend doing any exercises for specific body parts. The usefulness of benching is highly overrated. It's by no means a bad exercise but everyone seems to want to do it all the time. I don't get it. People who can't do 10 solid push-ups will fuck around on the bench for half an hour, wasting their time and everyone else's (people who might actually want to lift some weight with that barbell, for example).

Anyway, if you're doing it and you like it, that's fine. Push-ups are essential, and if you need more of a challenge, buy some rings and do dips on them. Even regular dips are a huge challenge for most people, even ones who can bench all day. (which sort of shows you how pointless a big bench is).
Awesome.  Thanks!  Well I started on Friday adding 3 sets of pushups after my workouts specifically because my ability to do pushups was pitiful.  I've been throwing dips in randomly, but I'll try to make them a bigger part of my overall workout.  Thanks again!

Yeah dips are pretty good.  For a while, every week I'd alternate between benching and dipping.
I think I might do this!  Thanks!

BTW, my biceps are sore as shit and so is my mid back!  Those pullups definitely got me good

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »
One thing to consider is practical strength and fitness. The best work out I've ever gotten has been when carrying lumber, cutting down trees, pulling snowmobiles out of ditches and shit. Not saying you should escape your current life to go live in the forest, but the more you can emulate practical strain, the better. Obvious stuff, but in this day and age of all-in-wonder machines designed for maximum comfort, it's not nearly as obvious as it should be.

And speaking of which, I went down to the damned gym again, and sure enough, there was one car parked outside for every one person on the cardio machines. It's a clubhouse gym, so none of these people would have far to walk to get there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:14:00 PM by duckman2000 »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
Oh man, so sore today.

Pullups, pushups and crunches have left me feeble.  And I did them Saturday!

My back and chest are sore as hell.  My abs hurt like fuck.  fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I only did 3 sets of crunches and pushups and did point of failure and shit it destroyed me.  I get to go back today and here's what I'm planning...

5 sets of bench press
5 sets of pullups
5 sets of squats
5 sets of dips
3 sets of pushups
3 sets of crunches

duckman2000

« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:36 PM »
If you're into calisthenics, Stew Smith has put together some pretty grueling but effective stuff. You'll have to sift through a lot of crap about SEAL training and whatnot, but the basics are solid enough. Great for warming up, too.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
I might be moving in that direction.  At least half and half it for now.  I was pretty disappointed in myself with how many pushups and crunches I could do so I'm thinking fixing that foundation will be good for when I want to push heavier weights and more intense lifting (deadlifts and whatnot). 

archie4208

« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Stuck at squatting 225 for the 3rd day in a row. :maf  I can never seem to seal the deal with the last set.  I usually have to stop at the 3rd rep, and also my technique seems to be declining. :/

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
You guys are all fitness maniacs compared to me, and that's really admirable. Cormacaroni suggested in IM that I jump in here; I think he was just trying to get me to "audit the course." :)

The only formal exercise I do is a weekly 2-hour karate session at a local dojo, every Saturday. I was having a fantastic session and working up a good sweat and breathing pretty well, but then the trainer swapped out my partner. It was a new black belt who tried to get me to move in a new way that was really weird. Just about the point where I was feeling wiped out and confused, he's saying "That's it. That's perfect" and then I felt something like a water balloon bursting in my left calf. It dawned on me that I'm more out of shape than I thought.

So I've  been walking with a limp for three days now; I'm happy I'm walking, actually. I hear about those MMA guys tearing shit that puts them in rehab for months. I think if I did more than once a week (or hadn't been moving in a weird, unbalanced way while exhausted) I probably wouldn't have explodo'd whatever I did.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #308 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Stuck at squatting 225 for the 3rd day in a row. :maf  I can never seem to seal the deal with the last set.  I usually have to stop at the 3rd rep, and also my technique seems to be declining. :/

If you can do 2 sets, you can do 3. You probably just need more rest. Everyone's technique deteriorates under heavy loads. That's why I'm such a stickler about it when folks are starting out or ramping up. Minor errors at a light load become major, potentially injurious, errors with a heavy load. But young males do like to push themselves too fast.

mups - don't do crunches, do a full sit-up. Also, put something under your back so that your abs actually have something to push off. Most people who do sit-ups are basically just throwing their arms and legs around and not actually using their core at all. Arms should be flat on the floor, behind your head or crossed over your chest, not flung back and forth. Feet should be unanchored.  They'll be harder at first but you'll thank me later.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »
I might be moving in that direction.  At least half and half it for now.  I was pretty disappointed in myself with how many pushups and crunches I could do so I'm thinking fixing that foundation will be good for when I want to push heavier weights and more intense lifting (deadlifts and whatnot). 

*applause*

So few people get this. There's no point messing about with dumbbells and machines at an expensive gym when you're still at the stage when you can get a huge benefit from simple push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. I did this stuff for months before buying any equipment or joining a gym.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »
Goddamn!

That was a good workout.

Moved up another 5 pounds in my bench.
Moved up another 5 pounds in my squat
Did 5 sets of pullups.  Although, I'm going to make sure I do pullups before squats from now on.  A lot of my energy was zapped by then and I couldn't even match what I did last time which made me kinda :(
5 sets of dips which destroyed my tris :'(
Then 3 sets of pushups and situps.  You were fucking right about the situps.  I felt fucking exhausted after all of that. 

Tomorrow I'm going to run 4 miles.  It will be great.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:13 PM »
*high five*

I moved up to 115kg/253lbs on the squat yesterday, but only completed the first set of 5. On the 2nd, I got halfway up on the 4th rep and had to bail on it, which is always fun. I was so wasted after that I skipped the last set. 

This is a very important skill to master, so here's what you do: Before you start, set the supports on the squat rack as high as you can without it impeding the barbell's path at the bottom of the squat. If you need to bail on a squat (because you get stuck or you lose balance etc), immediately sit down into the bottom of the squat. Take your hands off the bar, bring your arms in front of your body, then slowly roll the barbell back off your shoulders. If you do it right, it should barely make a sound as it eases onto the supports.

Seriously folks, PRACTICE this with an unloaded barbell before you start getting up to serious weights. It's too late to learn it after the weight suddenly gets too heavy. The good news is it's very easy to do if you follow the above procedure.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
Nice!  I was just thinking today what I would do if I couldn't come back up from a squat.  Now I know.  I'll practice that.

I just ate two plates of dinner.  oh god.  flank steaks cooked in a tomato sauce with carrots and potatoes over wheat rice.  so damn good

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »
Once you know how to bail safely, you'll be much more inclined to push your limits = faster progress, more fun.
vjj

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »
Dear FitnessBore,

I have read nothing else of the thread.  What type of exercise / workout machine should I use to make my large tummy not so large?  I appreciate the upcoming answer.

:-\ I'd read but I'm at work and the shit is kinda hitting the fan.
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
Dear FitnessBore,

I have read nothing else of the thread.  What type of exercise / workout machine should I use to make my large tummy not so large?  I appreciate the upcoming answer.

Cardio of any sort is good for weight loss. Getting on the elliptical machine is a pretty low-impact way to start out.

Honestly the war against a belly is won at diet level, not exercise one. It's also much a much harder fight at first, as you basically have to undo all of the bad eating habits that put on the pounds in first place. And the human brain/physiology does not like to unlearn habits.
hex

archie4208

« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »
Dear FitnessBore,

1. Cardio
2. Stronglifts
3. Eat healthier
4. ???
5. Profit

duckman2000

« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
Also, increasing mass in other places will do more for the appearance of your tummy than anything else.

tehjaybo

« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Dear FitnessBore,

Cardio of any sort is good for weight loss. Getting on the elliptical machine is a pretty low-impact way to start out.

Honestly the war against a belly is won at diet level, not exercise one. It's also much a much harder fight at first, as you basically have to undo all of the bad eating habits that put on the pounds in first place. And the human brain/physiology does not like to unlearn habits.

I was considering getting an elliptical machine, this pretty much cements it.  Especially if I can still play video games while using it. 

Eating healthier would be awesome, but I don't know if I can stomach fast food salads and such.  And I don't have time to prepare food.
HURR

duckman2000

« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
I was considering getting an elliptical machine, this pretty much cements it.  Especially if I can still play video games while using it.

This thread just got its ass reamed.

And what do you mean, "don't have time to prepare food?" Throw some veggies/fruits/seeds/yogurt/whatever into a blender and have yourself a liquid meal.

tehjaybo

« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »
As in I haven't even had time to shave before rushing into work lately.  And I do not have attractive facial hair.  It's like ginger pubes all over my chin and cheeks.   :-\
HURR

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
If you are able to play video games while exercising then you aren't exercising hard enough IMO. Exerting yourself is, well, pretty important! I can't do anything but listen to music when I do cardio, my attention is fully focused on a mix of 'gotta get through this interval UGHHHHHH' and 'oh god I want to die'.

I value strength training (and recommend Stronglifts or Home Grown Muscle as good starting points!)  too. He asked for a machine, and I answered an Elliptical, which can (if he wants it) give him a good cardio workout even if he's totally out of shape. A bench and a barbell is also a correct answer, of course.

Eating healthier would be awesome, but I don't know if I can stomach fast food salads and such.  And I don't have time to prepare food.

You have to eat healthier. You might be able to transfer some mass with a strength training program but if you're going to want to actually drop fat watching what you eat is essential.

If you are thinking that light cardio+bad eating habits = weight loss, you are wasting your time. You might not gain weight, or gain weight less quickly, but I really doubt you'll lose anything.

hex

duckman2000

« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
As in I haven't even had time to shave before rushing into work lately.  And I do not have attractive facial hair.  It's like ginger pubes all over my chin and cheeks.   :-\

That's a crappy excuse. Give yourself five or ten more minutes before going to work, and you can fix yourself breakfast and lunch. Prepare food in your spare time, and you can have it ready to go whenever.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
You're single, right? Make huge batches of food, spend time cooking twice a week, and reheat portions. Not too hard.

hex

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
hard cardio and bad eating can make you lose weight :lol

That's how I lost most of my weight.  Running twice a day for a total of an hour and a half.  Everyday.  For 43 days in a fucking row.

I ate like a pig too. 

But the problem with that is that you will wear yourself the fuck out working yourself hard on cardio and then you will gain that weight right back when you cut down on cardio.  It's much easier to change your eating habits.  The "I don't have time" excuse is a terrible excuse.  I'm sure you have 10 minutes somewhere in your idea to make a few sandwiches or something.  10 minutes.  Just do it, dude.  You will drop weight a lot faster and easier.

tehjaybo

« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
GuiltBore will make me thin.   :heartbeat
I'm gonna work on this.  Starting tomorrow.
HURR

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
A rowing machine would be a far better investment than an eliptical machine. Neither would compare to a barbell in terms of bang for buck though. I'm not convinced that a bench is particularly necessary though...get a squat rack first!

But what am I doing talking to someone who can't be bothered to read all the other fucking thousands of words I've already typed in this and other threads.
vjj

« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
I want an Eliptical machine so bad.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
I want an Eliptical machine so bad.

Alright, but this is the equivalent of posting a "I want a Wii" on the gaming side :lol

Do you own a jump rope? If not, get one first then think again about what that $1,000 or whatever will buy you.
vjj

tehjaybo

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »
A rowing machine would be a far better investment than an eliptical machine. Neither would compare to a barbell in terms of bang for buck though. I'm not convinced that a bench is particularly necessary though...get a squat rack first!

But what am I doing talking to someone who can't be bothered to read all the other fucking thousands of words I've already typed in this and other threads.

Sorry, I didn't read your post, what was that?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-*
[close]
HURR

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
I do low intensity cardio but for long durations - I use the treadmill and incrementally go up to 15% and 3.5 mph from 10% and 3.0 mph.  By the end (60 minutes), I'm just barely hanging on, feeling like I'm in some parallel dimension, needing to sit down for a while until I wake up to reality.  Then a few minutes later, my friends and I go into the sauna and steam room (no homo).  Not that calorie counters are that reliable, I just tend to use them as a scoreboard and hit around 900-1000 calories.

I like it because it is a gradual climb, I can listen to a CD player without a problem, and I like finding numerical patterns on the treadmill displays.  So even when I feel like I'm in hell, as long as the time and calories sync up to multiples of three during the hell march at some point, I'll make it until the end.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »

Sorry, I didn't read your post, what was that?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-*
[close]

Imma hold my breath til you go back and read them all you homo  :maf
vjj

tehjaybo

« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
Just for you.  I had hoped to go home and relax after my 12 hour super stressed day, but I suppose I can read 400 posts instead. 

:'(
HURR

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
The shining wisdom within will make it all worth it.

Plus, nintendosbooger gets owned again, around pg. 2
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »
On a positive note, if you ever shave but find that you need ginger pubes all over your chin and cheeks, let me know and I can set that up for you.  :-*

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
Dear FitnessBore,

1. Cardio
2. Stronglifts
3. Eat healthier
4. ???
5. Profit

I've said this before ITT but since you're now recommending it to others, I'll reiterate: 'cardio' and stronglifts are mutually opposed. Also, the 1,900 calories you're on a day is also opposed to strength gain. Once you're out of the complete noob phase, you have to eat to get stronger - FACT. Individually, the things you are doing are all good but they don't necessarily get better just by mashing them together into one super program.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
I think it depends on how experienced a lifter is.  It is very much possible to gain strength and lose weight.  They're called "newbie gains" IIRC.  They don't last long though.

Edit: Looks like you already said it.  Time for me to go bed!  Although even whilst bulking, I did cardio a day a week.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:25:47 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
I think it depends on how experienced a lifter is.  It is very much possible to gain strength and lose weight.  They're called "newbie gains" IIRC.  They don't last long though.

Edit: Looks like you already said it.  Time for me to go bed!  Although even whilst bulking, I did cardio a day a week.

Exactly. And that's fine for him, right now. I just want him to be clear on the limitations of it, and why it may not work for other people.
vjj

Bebpo

« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
Ok, I'm here.
Cormacaroni, how do I get a sleek muscular non-orbital frame like you?

This is my workout regimine (about every 2-3 days):
-25 mins on the treadmill -> stretches
-30 pushups -> stretches
-single arm weights, 11 lifts x 3 for each arm -> stretches
-20ish situps -> stretches

Takes me about 40-45 mins. 

What should I add/subtract/change for a start?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
yo bebpo!

If you've been doing that for 4-5 years, as you implied elsewhere, it's probably not having much effect beyond burning a few calories really. Which is fine for many people as long as you enjoy it and don't have trouble keeping it up.

If you want to look the same as me, do the same as me: just go to www.crossfit.com and read. Put as much into practice as you can handle. That's what i did! But I had 10-plus years of total inactivity to counteract, so I needed pretty potent medicine.

If you don't want to go quite that far (which is entirely reasonable), the first thing I'd do is try some more challenging bodyweight exercises, like pull-ups or dips or handstands, and then maybe try some barbell stuff. Compound movements like squats, cleans and presses will do a lot more for you than the single-arm stuff because of the hormonal reactions they trigger.
vjj

Bebpo

« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks.  Reading up on the crossfit stuff.  Very interesting.
Starting with squats and other stuff sounds good.  I don't think I have the balance to pull off a handstand, lol. 

Can you even gain muscle while on a vegetarian diet?  I always thought muscle was like you eat meat and then put it on as muscle instead of fat if you work out correctly.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
Sure you can gain muscle on a veggie diet. If you weren't getting protein, you'd wither and die due to inability to repair damaged tissue. You may just need more of it.

Handstands - you have to work up to it. But it's more fun than yet more push-ups. Learning new skills is what keeps me going.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:33 AM »
Just nailed 3x5@115kg/253lbs, for those keeping score. Felt soo much easier than on Monday.

NOW TO EAT :drool
vjj

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
Did my first set of deadlifts ever the other night... been doing exercises on machines (with a barbell for biceps) for a while, but now think I'm gonna transition to freeweights.

Been doing a lot of incline situps lately, how many should I be aiming for? I do 20-15-15, and after that I feel like I'm about to die :P
^_^

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Just nailed 3x5@115kg/253lbs, for those keeping score. Felt soo much easier than on Monday.

NOW TO EAT :drool
damn dude!  congrats!

going back to the gym tonight.  i'm hoping I can get a few more reps out of my bench press.  It always feels good when I get another 2 in.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »
Did my first set of deadlifts ever the other night... been doing exercises on machines (with a barbell for biceps) for a while, but now think I'm gonna transition to freeweights.

Been doing a lot of incline situps lately, how many should I be aiming for? I do 20-15-15, and after that I feel like I'm about to die :P

Zero? With incline sit-ups, you're using your legs to do half the work. Plus, it makes you depend on using a bench. Just do regular sit-ups, as described above. Don't forget to put something under the small of your back to make it possible to actually use your abs. A rolled-up towel works well.

If that isn't enough, do a real man's incline sit-up....off a pull-up bar. Knees-to-elbows or toes-to-bar will destroy you, I guarantee.
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »
Squatted 230 today. :rock  I actually figured out my legs were not far enough apart so I adjusted that and it became a (relative) cinch. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »
Squatted 230 today. :rock  I actually figured out my legs were not far enough apart so I adjusted that and it became a (relative) cinch. 

3x5? Good job! Your feet should be about shoulder width apart. Most people actually go too wide rather than too narrow.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:38 PM »
Today felt good.  Was able to do some extra pullups with lower assistance.  Got an extra rep of bench.  I actually felt a decent burn 5x5 (165) squat.  Before this, I hadn't really felt much.  Did good on the pushups and situps too.  I feel great.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
5x5 is a lot of reps for the squat, but so long as the weight is still low, and you're using it to brush up on your form, that's fine. You'll really struggle to do that many once it gets heavy though. 5x5 at max effort would lay me out for a couple of days.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
I guess I'll know the point where I should stop doing 5 sets :lol

question, some dude at the gym was telling me to do pullups with palms facing me.  He said that works bicep better.  I still finished my sets with palms facing forward, but what's the difference and what do you recommend?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »
Every other week, I did one set of 20 reps for squats.  Walking down a flight of stairs was a struggle.  As was walking but it was never the day after squats, it was the day after that where it became really painful.

I miss those days.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
the second days are always the worst.  oh god.  and that's always the day i go back to the gym since I go every other day.  Pushing through the soreness feels great though.  Especially on bench.  I'm usually thinking there's no way I can get what I got the other day.  I'm too sore.  Then I can usually push myself for an extra rep or two.  I feel like a fucking king after that.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #353 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
I guess I'll know the point where I should stop doing 5 sets :lol

question, some dude at the gym was telling me to do pullups with palms facing me.  He said that works bicep better.  I still finished my sets with palms facing forward, but what's the difference and what do you recommend?

already covered this up the thread. Do both. Palms facing will indeed work your biceps better but your biceps are not the only muscles in your body that need working. Also, learn to kip, which is an awesome full-body workout all by itself. Plenty of vids on youtube explaining how. Personally I do kips with palms facing out, deadhang pull-ups with palms facing towards me.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #354 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
Every other week, I did one set of 20 reps for squats.  Walking down a flight of stairs was a struggle.  As was walking but it was never the day after squats, it was the day after that where it became really painful.

I miss those days.

I've heard of this...Mark Rippetoe advised if for 'anyone who wants to grow themselves a pair of legs' :lol

There is also a deadlift version but that just sounds too sick for me.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #355 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
I really don't have any equipment at home right now and a gym membership is still out of reach for the moment, so I've been doing basic cardio and some body weight routines for a little bit of strength-building. 

My usual is:
  • Walk/Jog 1+ miles a day
  • A mixture of jumping jacks and step exercises
  • Upper Body (M,Th) - Push-ups, Planks, Ect
  • Core Body (T,F) - Crunches, Planks, Ect
  • Lower Body (W,Sa) - Squats, Calf Raises, Ect
  • Cardio only on Sunday

The two main problems I've been running into is long work days and specifically how to fit in time for exercise on those days (I'm on an EMS/Hospital schedule so I sometimes work from 9a-1a two or three days in a row).  I also have trouble restarting after losing momentum from days like that.  Not only my exercise, but my diet suffers too.

Diet, BTW is the most important part in any of this, IMO.
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »

I miss those days.

I've heard of this...Mark Rippetoe advised if for 'anyone who wants to grow themselves a pair of legs' :lol

There is also a deadlift version but that just sounds too sick for me.

It is great for breaking through a plateau.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56:39 AM »
To get the most out of it, you're supposed to do literally nothing else, right?

There have been a few threads on this on the crossfit boards - some people reported blacking out mid-rep around the high teens :lol Scary, scary stuff.
vjj

Draft

« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Rippetoe can be a pretty funny guy, and his comments on the 20 squat program in SS are a good example. He says something like, "Around the 15th rep your reality will become a terrifying nightmare." :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #359 on: January 28, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
I really don't have any equipment at home right now and a gym membership is still out of reach for the moment, so I've been doing basic cardio and some body weight routines for a little bit of strength-building. 

My usual is:
  • Walk/Jog 1+ miles a day
  • A mixture of jumping jacks and step exercises
  • Upper Body (M,Th) - Push-ups, Planks, Ect
  • Core Body (T,F) - Crunches, Planks, Ect
  • Lower Body (W,Sa) - Squats, Calf Raises, Ect
  • Cardio only on Sunday

The two main problems I've been running into is long work days and specifically how to fit in time for exercise on those days (I'm on an EMS/Hospital schedule so I sometimes work from 9a-1a two or three days in a row).  I also have trouble restarting after losing momentum from days like that.  Not only my exercise, but my diet suffers too.

Diet, BTW is the most important part in any of this, IMO.
I can't really comment on your routine since I'm not informed enough to really make statements.

But as far as motivation goes, I would suggest setting a short term realistic goal.  When you reach it or even beat it, you'll feel incredible.  Progress is what motivates me.  Losing my belly was an incredible feeling. 

Start thinking ahead with all your food.  If you're going to work long hours, pack a good lunch before.  Like I said before, the "not enough time" excuse is rarely valid.  It's really just a few minutes it takes to prepare something nutritious for your entire day.