Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 804116 times)

archie4208

Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #540 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:42 AM »
Did you get any funny looks while squatting the bar with ten pound weights on each side?

Nah.  Everybody has to start somewhere!  And the squat rack is usually dead.  Most people are working on their curls. :teehee

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #541 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
Did you get any funny looks while squatting the bar with ten pound weights on each side?

If he did it was probably only form those guys who dont care about form. Most serious gym goers would rather you get your form right first.
XDF

Ganhyun

« Reply #542 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »

Nah.  Everybody has to start somewhere!  And the squat rack is usually dead.  Most people are working on their curls. :teehee

most people hate squats too.
XDF

archie4208

« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
I'm part of that group, but I have been seeing excellent results in my legs so I begrudgingly do them!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »

I start with just the bar every time - 45lbs. You should too.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
Hey guys, I need some help

I'm stuck at 205 in squats.  I can do 5x5 at 205.  If I up it to 210, I can never get the last set.  What should I do?

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

This is up there with Sweet Sweat for sure.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #547 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

All the people sitting at those desks look like they have Parkinson's...  :lol

FauxFitness equipment getting more rediculous by the day.  :'(
WTF

duckman2000

« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
Well, at least this is blatantly ridiculous. I mean, there's no way anyone with some sense would buy into it, it's that ridiculous. I'm sure they are making bank, though. Sit yourself fit, that's the American dream right there.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #549 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
Hey guys, I need some help

I'm stuck at 205 in squats.  I can do 5x5 at 205.  If I up it to 210, I can never get the last set.  What should I do?

Could be any number of problems, meaning there are any number of solutions. What do you think the issue might be? Are you eating enough, resting enough? How often are you squatting and how much other stuff are you doing these days?

vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
I'm definitely eating and resting enough.  I'm squatting every other day.  I feel great and full of energy. 

To be honest, I'm thinking it may just be a confidence issue.  I never get to where I can't make it back up on the squat.  It's just that by the end of the 4th set, I'm thinking "There is no fucking way I have another set."  I usually do 2 or 3 of the next set and I'm pretty damn sure if I go down for the next rep I'm not coming back up.  But I mean, they should be getting easier, no?  I've been stuck at 205 for about 4 or 5 sessions now.

Squatting is the 4th thing i do in my routine.  I do bench first, then pullups, then dips and then squats followed by pushups and situps. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:13:04 PM by Rob Thomas »

archie4208

« Reply #551 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:01 PM »
I'm definitely eating and resting enough.  I'm squatting every other day.  I feel great and full of energy. 

To be honest, I'm thinking it may just be a confidence issue.  I never get to where I can't make it back up on the squat.  It's just that by the end of the 4th set, I'm thinking "There is no fucking way I have another set."  I usually do 2 or 3 of the next set and I'm pretty damn sure if I go down for the next rep I'm not coming back up.

Squatting is the 4th thing i do in my routine.  I do bench first, then pullups, then dips and then squats followed by pushups and situps. 

Try doing squats first.  I find them to be the most draining exercise and I feel relieved when I finish them.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:01 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that.  I guess I'll try that tomorrow.

My ego is probably going to take a hit when I can't bench what I usually bench because of squatting first :'(  haha

archie4208

« Reply #553 on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
I abhor the bench press.  I can barely do 140.  I would rather do 1000 military presses over a single bench.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #554 on: February 18, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
I just always feel great after doing bench.  and it's done wonders for my chest the last couple of months.  I'm up to 170 on it and making good progress.  I took a week off for a nice recovery after a couple of months working out everyday, and I had to drop down 10 pounds (from 180).  That hurt, but I'll be back up by week's end.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #555 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »
I abhor the bench press.  I can barely do 140.
That is really weird. I can bench 250+, but squats of ~200 are still difficult for me  :-\

Squatting is the 4th thing i do in my routine.
There's your problem (one of them  :P). Do squats first because they are the hardest exercise.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:01:56 PM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #556 on: February 18, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

To be honest, I'm thinking it may just be a confidence issue.  I never get to where I can't make it back up on the squat.  It's just that by the end of the 4th set, I'm thinking "There is no fucking way I have another set."  I usually do 2 or 3 of the next set and I'm pretty damn sure if I go down for the next rep I'm not coming back up.  But I mean, they should be getting easier, no?  I've been stuck at 205 for about 4 or 5 sessions now.

Practice dumping the weight. It will do wonders for your confidence. You need to get to the point where even if you are 99% sure you won't finish the rep, you try for it anyway. The other day i literally shouted at my training buddy when he tried to rack the bar after his 3rd rep. ONE MORE!  He did it, then tried to rack again. ONE MORE! He fucking did it! It's all about confidence and going for it sometimes.

Remember, there is NOTHING bad that can happen by missing a rep if you know how to bail properly. Just sit down, and ease the bar onto the supports. The sitting down part is easy, right?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #557 on: February 18, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
I abhor the bench press.  I can barely do 140.
That is really weird. I can bench 250+, but squats of ~200 are still difficult for me  :-\

Squatting is the 4th thing i do in my routine.
There's your problem (one of them  :P). Do squats first because they are the hardest exercise.

seconded.

Unless you are also doing deadlifts :p
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
kestastrophe - this bench thing is out of control. Disparities like yours are pretty common. Then again, so many people cheat like crazy on the bench that I always take what people say with a huge pinch of salt. Dudes at my gym grab the bar near the collars and move it maybe 3 or 4cm each rep, or have their buddy pull the bar up for them for the last 3 reps in a set of 5. All we can do for these people is shame them with properly executed heavy deads and squats, I suppose.
vjj

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »
kestastrophe - this bench thing is out of control. Disparities like yours are pretty common. Then again, so many people cheat like crazy on the bench that I always take what people say with a huge pinch of salt. Dudes at my gym grab the bar near the collars and move it maybe 3 or 4cm each rep, or have their buddy pull the bar up for them for the last 3 reps in a set of 5. All we can do for these people is shame them with properly executed heavy deads and squats, I suppose.
I do not disagree about benching being out of control. Now that I feel that I know a little bit about lifting, I don't understand all the fuss. But in highschool, that was all that any dudes did. And I still see guys at the university gym that are walking around with huge arms, doing curls and benching a truck, with tiny chicken legs  :lol. It must be a uniquely American phenomenon, something to do with compensating, etc.

I would gladly give 100 lbs from my bench to gain 50 lbs on squat
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Superhero comics have a lot to answer for!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that.  I guess I'll try that tomorrow.

My ego is probably going to take a hit when I can't bench what I usually bench because of squatting first :'(  haha

This is where you start to figure out what is really important and what you can ditch. If you are squatting heavy, you can do bench once a week and still make steady gains. To be honest, 170lbs is still firmly in the newb gains realm so you will make gains almost no matter what kind of routine you do.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #562 on: February 18, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
I abhor the bench press.  I can barely do 140.  I would rather do 1000 military presses over a single bench.

This for sure. I get enough of a chest work out in other ways so I'm just staying away from it now. I'll occasionally do the odd set of dumbbell presses to round out the work out pass, but that's about it. I can't do it well or with any decent weight, and I think I just lack the interest to get better at it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
It's been a while since I flat barbell benched.  I just do DB Bench and alternate with dips :bow2
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
what's DB bench?

So I feel pretty good.  Last night I went to the gym, did squats first.  Broke 205 easily.  I did 210 and at the end of the 5th set I know I could have done more. 

Thanks for all the info guys. 

Cormac: Yeah, I'm going to start working on my bailout just in case.  That way I'm not winging it if it ever comes to that.

Also, even after that, I broke to 175 on bench which felt good.  So the squats didn't really take it out of me like I thought they would.  I'm sure as I load on more weights it will effect it more and more.

I felt so good after my workout that I even decided to run two miles for shits and giggles.  It was definitely a good workout.  I can fucking feel it today though... and the 2nd day is always worse :'(

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
Looks like I dropped 4 lbs. this week. I shall double my efforts!
PSP

Ganhyun

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
ShogunofFear is planning to startup P90X in the next few weeks. Wants me to do it too, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
XDF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
Goddamn you're going to be sexy in no time!

ShogunofFear is planning to startup P90X in the next few weeks. Wants me to do it too, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
Almost everyone I know that did P90X gave up after a couple of weeks.  I heard it's grueling as fuck.

Ganhyun

« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

Almost everyone I know that did P90X gave up after a couple of weeks.  I heard it's grueling as fuck.

Yea, I've heard its grueling as fuck too and a look at the wiki page just seems to confirm it.  I'd rather start off with the previous version, the Power 90, to be honest.

XDF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »

Yea, I've heard its grueling as fuck too and a look at the wiki page just seems to confirm it.  I'd rather start off with the previous version, the Power 90, to be honest.
do it and let us know how it goes!

Lunch today was great.  Chicken Florentine (chicken breast, spinach, tomato, red peppers, some sauce shit in a flatbread) with some mashed potatoes, fruit and a yogurt parfait.  Goddamn.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
DB bench - benching with 2 dumbells.

Not something I do myself, but DBs are in many ways superior to barbells because of the increased stabilization requirements. Plus, it's waaaay easier to bail on the bench with DBs - just drop them to the side. You'll probably find you need significantly less weight with DBs than with a bar.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #571 on: February 19, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »
I might try that.  I avoid dumbells usually because of all the people that focus on them.  That area of the gym is ALWAYS full.  And it's a bunch of tiny dudes with huge arms staring at themselves in the mirror for 90% of the time.  They do one set and stare at themselves for 20 minutes

duckman2000

« Reply #572 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:20 PM »
DB bench - benching with 2 dumbells.

Not something I do myself, but DBs are in many ways superior to barbells because of the increased stabilization requirements. Plus, it's waaaay easier to bail on the bench with DBs - just drop them to the side. You'll probably find you need significantly less weight with DBs than with a bar.

You get a greater range as well. There's no bar stopping your downward range. You can also do perfectly straight presses, or curved ones, or a bastard blend of presses/flyes/whatever.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
I might try that.  I avoid dumbells usually because of all the people that focus on them.  That area of the gym is ALWAYS full.  And it's a bunch of tiny dudes with huge arms staring at themselves in the mirror for 90% of the time.  They do one set and stare at themselves for 20 minutes

That's our T EXP for ya! (oh god don't kill me)

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
A story from a co-worker, who did a kettlebell intro class at his gym (apparently these are all the rage). One of the women in his class insisted on using a 2 pood kettlebell (32kg) which is pretty insane to begin with. She then proceeded to knock herself out with it. She's lucky she just winged herself - if she'd dropped it square on, her head would have exploded like a pumpkin.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #575 on: February 19, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
hahahahaha

the only guys in the gym that really bug me are the teenage kids walking around like they're hot shit.  I hope I wasn't that big of a douche in high school.  There's this fat kid that's always there the same time as me and sometimes he's with his friends.  They're 3 white kids in a rich neighborhood and they always have an ipod listening to tupac.  Then they get on guided bench/squat machines (don't know what they're actually called.  are those smith machines?) and bench 80 pounds and grunt a lot.  then they're doing bicep curls and they're lifting so much (20's) that when they're done they can't even hold on, they have to drop it to the ground instead of laying it down.  Fucking christ, I hate them so much.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #576 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
A story from a co-worker, who did a kettlebell intro class at his gym (apparently these are all the rage). One of the women in his class insisted on using a 2 pood kettlebell (32kg) which is pretty insane to begin with. She then proceeded to knock herself out with it. She's lucky she just winged herself - if she'd dropped it square on, her head would have exploded like a pumpkin.
hahahahaha

I saw a lady get punched in the "kickboxing" class.  she got all out of sync.  and when they were told to move forward and jab.  She turned around to jab and got nailed in the face.  It was awesome.

Ganhyun

« Reply #577 on: February 19, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
the guided bench/squat machines, while easier than normal bench/squats, help improve form in most cases.  I still use them occasionally to keep my form in good shape and if there are no open spots when im working out.

I'll eventually man-up and post a couple of pics for u guys to laugh at.
XDF

Ganhyun

« Reply #578 on: February 19, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
hahahahaha

I saw a lady get punched in the "kickboxing" class.  she got all out of sync.  and when they were told to move forward and jab.  She turned around to jab and got nailed in the face.  It was awesome.

True story, Fear, in our gym's version of that, actually almost full steam kicked a woman in the face because she was out of sync. Would have been a Shawn Michaels superkick style on too. His foot was like centimeters from her face.
XDF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #579 on: February 19, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
well if form was what they were worrying about, i don't think they'd be grunting like crazy and getting up and going "yeah!  urghhhhhhh"

i hate them so much.  so much.

the fat one sits in the mirror and flexes all the time.  he has all the definition of a bag of playdough.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #580 on: February 19, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
They're irritating ME.

I swear to God, Japanese males must be the weakest creatures on the planet. I know there are a few who break the mold but my god, when you see someone SITTING DOWN to do curls with a DB that looks like a ballpoint pen with cock rings at either end, you just want to slap them silly. We only have a few grunters though, mostly Americans. I mean, sometimes grunting is inevitable when finishing a hard rep...but not every damn rep with a 10kg curl bar with no weight on it.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
hahahahaha

True story, Fear, in our gym's version of that, actually almost full steam kicked a woman in the face because she was out of sync. Would have been a Shawn Michaels superkick style on too. His foot was like centimeters from her face.
hahahahahaha

my wife goes to those classes.  i went once and couldn't take it.  i felt distinguished mentally-challenged (and there was only one other dude and he was obviously gay and there with his girlfriends).  but sometimes I watch because people either look so ridiculous or come so close to getting hit.  plus some hot chicks do it :drool

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #582 on: February 19, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
the guided bench/squat machines, while easier than normal bench/squats, help improve form in most cases.  I still use them occasionally to keep my form in good shape and if there are no open spots when im working out.

Sadly, they don't because they make you move in a very different way from if you were doing a real squat. Never use them, never. You don't want to make Draft angry.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #583 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
They're irritating ME.

I swear to God, Japanese males must be the weakest creatures on the planet. I know there are a few who break the mold but my god, when you see someone SITTING DOWN to do curls with a DB that looks like a ballpoint pen with cock rings at either end, you just want to slap them silly. We only have a few grunters though, mostly Americans. I mean, sometimes grunting is inevitable when finishing a hard rep...but not every damn rep with a 10kg curl bar with no weight on it.
:rofl :rofl

Yeah, I grunt usually on my last rep sometimes but I don't do it obnoxiously.  Just when it's getting really rough.

How about the huge roided out guy who makes enough noise to get everyones attention and never gets through the full range of motion?  Then he stands by the machine so that everyone knows "that guy is squatting a ton!"

Ganhyun

« Reply #584 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »

Sadly, they don't because they make you move in a very different way from if you were doing a real squat. Never use them, never. You don't want to make Draft angry.

:(  :'(
XDF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #585 on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
Hey, they're not completely useless - they're very handy for pull-ups. And yes, they're called Smith machines.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #586 on: February 19, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
I always see a bunch of guys using the smith machines for bench but doing very little weight and literally throwing it in the air and catching it, coming down and on the way up throwing it up again.

Are they just having fun?  Doing it because it looks 'cool'?  or is that actually some sort of exercise?

Ganhyun

« Reply #587 on: February 19, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
They're irritating ME.

Yeah, I grunt usually on my last rep sometimes but I don't do it obnoxiously.  Just when it's getting really rough.

How about the huge roided out guy who makes enough noise to get everyones attention and never gets through the full range of motion?  Then he stands by the machine so that everyone knows "that guy is squatting a ton!"

OMG,  we had one of those in the gym I go to. Guy actually showed up in what amounted to a speedo and muscle-t to work out in. A bunch of people complained.

Gym manager goes over: Sir, that is inappropriate.

Guy: What? my shirt?

manager: no, that *points at guy's crotch* is inappropriate. I'm gonna have to ask you to change sir. We have several complaints.

guy: fuck off

manager: sir, if you wont change we will have you escorted out.

guy leaves in a huff. tries to come back in same outfit 3 days later. is promptly refused entrance to the gym.

there is a dress code at the gym that disallows that (since there isnt a pool at this gym) but the guy kept ignoring it.
XDF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #588 on: February 19, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »
I always see a bunch of guys using the smith machines for bench but doing very little weight and literally throwing it in the air and catching it, coming down and on the way up throwing it up again.

Are they just having fun?  Doing it because it looks 'cool'?  or is that actually some sort of exercise?

No they're just gigantic pussies. If they want to throw something, give them a kettlebell and hasten their departure from the gene pool.
vjj

Ganhyun

« Reply #589 on: February 19, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

I'd say for fun and to goof off. Don't see any legit use for throwing it up like that.

Oh, Cormac, did I mention that the squat machine I used starts u off at 80 pounds and u add weights to each side as needed? I'm sorry I'm just hoping it isnt totally worthless.
XDF

duckman2000

« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
I rarely grunt, but I do swear. A lot, and in several languages. Depends on the exercise of course, but I don't think I've completed a deadlift session post-200lbs without following up with a long explanation of the utter fuckness of it. It's probably good that we never signed up for the YMCA gym.

Then he stands by the machine so that everyone knows "that guy is squatting a ton!"

There's a dude in the clubhouse gym, he's real short, scrawny yet curiously tubby, and whenever he leaves a machine he sets the weight to the max. I had my suspicions about it, and confirmed it. Sort of weird, seeing as how there were no chicks around, and no one waiting for the machine.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:26:54 PM by duckman2000 »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
They're irritating ME.

OMG,  we had one of those in the gym I go to. Guy actually showed up in what amounted to a speedo and muscle-t to work out in. A bunch of people complained.

Gym manager goes over: Sir, that is inappropriate.

Guy: What? my shirt?

manager: no, that *points at guy's crotch* is inappropriate. I'm gonna have to ask you to change sir. We have several complaints.

guy: fuck off

manager: sir, if you wont change we will have you escorted out.

guy leaves in a huff. tries to come back in same outfit 3 days later. is promptly refused entrance to the gym.

there is a dress code at the gym that disallows that (since there isnt a pool at this gym) but the guy kept ignoring it.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #592 on: February 19, 2010, 03:24:03 PM »
They're irritating ME.

Dunno about this one Mups - sounds like you just can't take your eyes of his dreamy pecs and tight butt.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
btw it's 5.30 am in Japan and I can't sleep
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »

No they're just gigantic pussies. If they want to throw something, give them a kettlebell and hasten their departure from the gene pool.
:lol  I never understood it.  And I always see a few people a week doing it.  I think uninformed people have seen other people doing it and it seems like a good idea to them.

I rarely grunt, but I do swear. A lot. Depends on the exercise of course, but I don't think I've completed a deadlift session post-200lbs without following up with a long explanation of the utter fuckness of it. It's probably good that we never signed up for the YMCA gym.
hahahahaha

I don't swear because I try not to talk.  Just exhale firmly and try not to spit too much.

They're irritating ME.

Dunno about this one Mups - sounds like you just can't take your eyes of his dreamy pecs and tight butt.
:teehee

If he didn't make such a racket, I wouldn't be so inclined to rape him with my eyes!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
sounds like it's time to hit the gym!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
i could just beat off again and try to get back to sleep
vjj

Ganhyun

« Reply #597 on: February 19, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
sounds like it's time to hit the gym!

This.

i could just beat off again and try to get back to sleep

of course this works too.
XDF

duckman2000

« Reply #598 on: February 19, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

Technically that would be a plyometric exercise, but it seems sort of daft. Why not just do explosive push ups? You should ask them that, and also ask them to demonstrate such push ups.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
*loud snoring*
vjj