Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 802550 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #420 on: February 05, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
I just do it out of habit.  It's fun.  There isn't much to motivate me anymore because it is a habit.  I can't imagine not lifting (except for situations where I'm obviously not available to work out)

Plus a lot of my friends, even those who play in sports, are starting to get beer guts and having been fat before, it is something I have no interest in being again.

For me, it isn't so much of a "why?" as it is a "why not?"  I'll keep pushing myself in the gym for many, many years.
🍆🍆

archie4208

« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
I had my cheat meal yesterday.  A bowl of ice cream and a Klondike Bar.  Probably 900 calories or so.  I don't feel so hot right now. :'(  I'm having a protein shake and Greek Yogurt right now though!

And what are you doing to motivate yourselves?

I look at myself in the mirror naked and that motivates me (or depresses me, depending on my mood)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
wheres some before and after pics. at least make this thread readable for other people.
fat

archie4208

« Reply #423 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
I got the before pics ready, but the after ones will have to wait a few more months! (assuming I don't fall off the wagon)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #424 on: February 05, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
Other than Cormac, who seems to be doing this to maintain fitness, how many of us are doing this to lose weight or just get healthy?  And what are you doing to motivate yourselves?

Fuck maintaining! I'm doing this to get better. I've still got a few good years left before I have to settle for "maintaining".

But you're right in that i'm not doing it to control weight at this point. I know enough about diet at this point that I could never exercise again and stay at whatever weight I wanted. It would be farewell to booze and simple carbs but I could do it.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #425 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
It would be farewell to booze and simple carbs but I could do it.

Could you really say farewell?

I did without carbs for a year. Booze mumbleymumbleymumbley
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #426 on: February 05, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
yerrr my besh fren kosma yuunootaht
vjj

« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
I had the worst run ever last night. My leg muscles were so damn sore I had to stop running at four miles and walk/limp back home.  :maf

Other than Cormac, who seems to be doing this to maintain fitness, how many of us are doing this to lose weight or just get healthy?  And what are you doing to motivate yourselves?

I'm in pretty good shape already, but I'm working up my stamina so I can run a half-marathon without stopping.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
If you want motivation, go climb some stairs and see how quickly it takes for you to get tired.  Better than looking in the mirror.

anyway, I'm not trying to be as fit as the other guys here.  I work out, exercise, w/e because it's mostly part of a routine now.  I still do it to improve, but 3/5th of the reason kinda seems to just maintain.  As for eating better food, that was pretty easy since healthier foods are tasty (see rest of thread and greek yogurt praise).  Just break out of bad habits and form better ones.  May be harder to do that for others, so I won't judge.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
I'm doing this to lose weight, I'm way too heavy. And I realized that if I didn't make a considerable change in my twenties, it would be doubly difficult (if not nigh impossible) in my thirties and longer.
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
Only did 4 sets at 245 today. :/  I was in a piss poor mental state when I hit the gym, though.  I couldn't focus to save my life.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
Am I suppose to feel sit ups at the top part of my legs after doing them?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
Just worked out for the first time since Thursday. Going to head off to a Super Bowl party. Wish me luck.
PSP

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
Good luck.  Enjoy the wings ;)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #434 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
I'm going to try to monitor myself. After weeks of losing weight, I've lost NOTHING this week. But I've been sick as a dog and not really watching what I drink/eat and not working out. I haven't gained anything, but I don't like staying at the same weight for more than five days.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #435 on: February 07, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
Am I suppose to feel sit ups at the top part of my legs after doing them?

no. i posted the correct way to do them up the thread a bit if you want to refer to that.
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
The good: I did five unassisted pullups today in a single set.  Personal record. :rock
The bad: Still stalled on 245 squats.  Got to the 3rd rep of my 5th set and I couldn't go on.
The ugly: I ate a Twix bar yesterday.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
Dropped the DL weight, going to go for reps for a while. And now I feel like someone mangled me.

cool breeze

« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
0% Greek yogurt  :yuck

I tried this today because they didn't have 2% (they never have full fat) and it is a sad yogurt

Rman

« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
I'm going to try to monitor myself. After weeks of losing weight, I've lost NOTHING this week. But I've been sick as a dog and not really watching what I drink/eat and not working out. I haven't gained anything, but I don't like staying at the same weight for more than five days.
Plateaus are normal.  You've lost a lot in a short time.  Initial fat loss is mostly water, which is normal since the fat metabolism is very dependent on H2O.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #440 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:33 AM »
Off to the gym...at 4:30 AM
🍆🍆

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #441 on: February 10, 2010, 06:09:35 AM »
I'm on a pretty solid cardio program with a small percentage of strength training now and the results are showing.  I've lost 24 lbs altogether!
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #442 on: February 10, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
Congrats, man.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #443 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »
moved up to 265lbs on the squat today but couldn't get more than 4 reps. Still, that's a new 1RM, 2RM, 3RM and 4RM :smug

only 160lbs or so behind you T EXP. Can you feel my breath on your neck yet?
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #444 on: February 11, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
245 has been DESTROYED. :rock :rock :rock  Third time is the charm. :smug

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #445 on: February 11, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
Congrats, Archie!

I'm finally up to 170 on bench press.

Feels fucking good.  A little closer to my 225 goal now.  Next week (Monday) will be 175 :rock

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #446 on: February 11, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
I am eating so much seafood nowadays that I feel like I live on the Mediterranean.
PSP

« Reply #447 on: February 11, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
I did a three mile uphill run last night down by the University of Washington... that sucked!  :yuck
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
Alright, time to go log in my cardio today. I'll be happy when I can start lifting at the gym once a week again. Damn snow.

I think I'm losing about 2 lbs. per week. I don't know if that's sustainable, but I really want it to be. :-\
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
It'll slow down when you start weighing less.  Just focus on good habits and exercise and ignore the scale. 

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
I somehow GAINED weight from earlier this week. I don't even know how that's possible. I've been diligent with cardio and crunches, and monitoring my calories. What the fuck. :maf
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
Mmm
fat

archie4208

« Reply #452 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
It could be muscle gains.  Are you doing tape measurements and the like?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #453 on: February 11, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »
Willco, don't fret about these fluctuations over a matter of days. Think about the weight of all the food and drink that you consume, and the amount of waste you produce. (not pleasant but if this is not the thread to discuss bodily functions, what is). Your weight is always going up and down by a 2-5 lbs. Stop worrying about it. You are not a mutant - your body works the same way as everyone else's. Keep eating right and exercising and you'll continue to lose weight and get fitter.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #454 on: February 11, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
It could be muscle gains.  Are you doing tape measurements and the like?

I do them once a month, I'm a couple weeks out from another measurement.

I hate the scale. I never feel like I get consistent readings, but they've never gone up. It's this one, by the way. Does anyone have any recommendations for scales that go up to 350 lbs. and are at or under $50?

It's just that I've been on the elliptical for forty minutes every day since Sunday. And usually two reps of crunches with the exercise ball after that. Since Monday, I've kept my calories pretty much under or at 2,000 per day. I was kind of hoping to see some significant loss. :-\
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
I weigh myself daily.  Your weight will fluctuate but it should generally be trending downwards (if cutting) or upwards (if bulking).  However, sometimes you gain a pound for no reason.  Of course, it isn't that your body stored an excess of 3500 calories, it is most likely water weight.

I also like to make Excel spreadsheets of weight progress.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
I don't think I've even eaten over 1,700 calories today! Gaining weight despite measuring all my food and exercising daily. :-\

I might as well eat a bunch of red meat!
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
FAP FAP FAP
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
I don't think I've even eaten over 1,700 calories today! Gaining weight despite measuring all my food and exercising daily. :-\

I might as well eat a bunch of red meat!

Then it is very unlikely that you gained weight.  You're probably retaining water to some extent.

Though it probably all depends on how much you weigh.  If you're hardly eating anything compared to how much you weigh (like if you're 300 lbs and eating only 1500 calories), then it could be that your metabolism has crashed and burned.  In which case, the best thing to do would be to re-evaluate what you're eating, take a day off from the diet every 7-14 days, and go from there.

All in my opinion.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #459 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »
Yeah, most scales are pretty hard to trust. If you consistently use the same one at the same time of day, you can at least get consistent errors. i.e. it won't be your real weight but the directions should be accurate.

best test: Stand naked in front of a mirror and jump. Whatever jiggles is either something you 100% need or something you can 100% do without.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #460 on: February 11, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
Though it probably all depends on how much you weigh.  If you're hardly eating anything compared to how much you weigh (like if you're 300 lbs and eating only 1500 calories), then it could be that your metabolism has crashed and burned.  In which case, the best thing to do would be to re-evaluate what you're eating, take a day off from the diet every 7-14 days, and go from there.

I'm over 300 lbs. and eating 1500 to 2000 calories per day. Is that even possible that I could gain weight from that intake? Especially with exercise? I did 3.8 miles on the elliptical today!

It's not like I'm starving myself. I eat when I'm hungry. I've just been eating low calorie stuff, like shrimp, tilapia, chicken, broccoli, quinoa, oatmeal, fruit, brussel sprouts, egg substitutes, etc.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #461 on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
It was those glasses of red wine!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #462 on: February 12, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
eat real eggs btw. unless you have some limp-wristed allergy.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #463 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:17 AM »
I had a grand total of three glasses of wine this entire week, and accounted for their calories!

... the egg substitutes are lower calories, so they win.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »
I had a grand total of three glasses of wine this entire week, and accounted for their calories!

Yeah, but rule one of nutrition is always EAT REAL FOOD. I don't even know what egg substitutes are. 

Man I love nit-picking other people's diets while i've gained 15lbs in the last 6 weeks. Had BBQ ribs and beer last night :smug
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2010, 01:40:15 AM »
 :-\ :'(
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »
Suck it up, buttercup. There will be harder days than this.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
seriously.  lay off the scale Will.  I didn't weigh myself for ~50 days after I started.  Then when I went back and checked, it was fucking amazing.  Going by how clothes fit and how you feel and how you look in the mirror is a lot better than a scale.  A good indicator I used to use what seeing how much smaller my manboobs were in the mirror!

Fuck the scale.  It's what drives people insane on a diet and makes them give up.  I now weigh myself once a month.

And 1500 calories a day seems really low, man.  Especially if your body has been used to eating a lot more.  To maintain your weight, your intake is probably around 3200 or so.  Aiming for around 2000 is still a huge deficit.  Going too low will fuck up your metabolism pretty bad.  I did that shit for a while and I plateau'ed hard and fucked up my whole system for a while.  A 1500+ calorie a day deficit with intense cardio is probably bad right now. 

I'd even go so far to say fuck being a calorie counter and just use good judgement.  Fuck the low fat and diet shit and just eat regular, good and healthy food.  A good diet is mostly common sense, not diet products.

duckman2000

« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
Yup, it all comes down to common sense. It's good to keep track of what you eat, but food isn't a strict science (just compare news reports on the potential health hazards of egg vs the latest "findings" which suggest that egg isn't bad at all). Personally, I'd focus on finding good food before focusing on calorie crunching, but then I'm also not in this to lose weight. I'd also avoid anything that claims that it is like the real thing only without any of the real thing in it.

cool breeze

« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »

Yeah, but rule one of nutrition is always EAT REAL FOOD. I don't even know what egg substitutes are. 

Man I love nit-picking other people's diets while i've gained 15lbs in the last 6 weeks. Had BBQ ribs and beer last night :smug

Egg substitutes are usually just egg whites with a shit-ton of flavoring to make them taste like they still got yolk.  They have a really weird texture and taste weird.

yeah, eat real eggs.  If you care about calories, just eat egg whites or something, or compromise and have one whole egg and one white.

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #470 on: February 12, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
In the process of cutting again myself. I'd let myself go at one point after leaving military a while back and ballooned up in weight.  I'd gotten up to 270! I had to re-evaluate my life. So I stopped drinking soda. Stopped eating alot of fast food. I started eating healthy. I joined a gym with ShogunofFear and another friend. That was December 2008.  Now I weight 184.

Honestly Willco, its best to go by bodyfat % rather than pure weight because muscle weighs more than fat and your daily weight will fluctuate as mentioned due to water retention, etc. And yes, rapidly decreasing your calorie intake can and will crash your metabolism waaaaay down.  Its honestly best to start small. When I started my BMR was aroud 2500-2700 calories a day. I cut down to 2200 for the first few months. When that weightloss slowed, I cut down to 2000. Then 1800. That worked really well for me. Maybe it will help you.

Biggest change for me since I did this: bodyfat percentage. Mine was a whopping 48% when I started. Now its at 19% and still going down. I hope to, in this cut, get down to around 15% bodyfat.

XDF

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #471 on: February 12, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
How do you measure bodyfat %?
i

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #472 on: February 12, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
How do you measure bodyfat %?

Several ways. One way involves calipers and measure skin folds.
Another way is to measure the size of your neck and waist and combine it with your weight and height to get the percentage (there are online forms to do this) via a formula (Navy uses this)
Also, there are machines that do some sort of measurement via you holding them and inputting ur age, height, weight, and sex.

Wiki lists a few ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
XDF

duckman2000

« Reply #473 on: February 12, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
This thread needs the Amir0x Dojo of Pain video.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #474 on: February 12, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Fuck the scale?  WTF?
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #475 on: February 12, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
as far as constant checking?  hell yes.

it gets discouraging.  Checking far fewer times let's you see real weight loss that's usually not fucked up by regular weight fluctuations. 

archie4208

« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
*looks outside*

*sees snow*

Welp, today is my rest day!  I might do some situps and pushups, but that will be it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
This thread has been pretty devoid of gay subtext.... but goddamn! :p

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #478 on: February 12, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE

demi

• cooler than willco