Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 803845 times)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
Routine:
- 4 day workout schedule, but go to the gym 4-6 days a week.
- Day 1: Chest
- Day 2: Arms
- Day 3: Back & shoulders
- Day 4: Legs
- Abs every other day
- Use free-weights instead of resistance machines whenever possible
Have you not been following the thread? Cormac is gonna rip this routine  :P
jon

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
*looks outside*

*sees snow*

Welp, today is my rest day!  I might do some situps and pushups, but that will be it.

Snow is fucking awesome. Running in deep snow :rock Fill a backpack with weights to add some resistance :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #482 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
you crazy son of a bitch, duckman

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #483 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
Ok willco you are next. Lets see it.

Oh god, I've got enough insecurity about my body shape as is!

... I stepped on the scale after doing 41 minutes of the elliptical today, and it was back down again, but I got two different readings (about 2 lbs. difference). I don't know. Maybe my body is like some kind of SCIENCE EXPERIMENT and cannot reach stable mass.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #484 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
Routine:
- 4 day workout schedule, but go to the gym 4-6 days a week.
- Day 1: Chest
- Day 2: Arms
- Day 3: Back & shoulders
- Day 4: Legs
- Abs every other day
- Use free-weights instead of resistance machines whenever possible
Have you not been following the thread? Cormac is gonna rip this routine  :P

yeah, i'm currently counting to 10 before posting! :lol

Well, he can read back through the thread if he wants. Dunno if I can be bothered rehashing again. And it's not like this program won't benefit him, if he's currently not doing anything.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #485 on: February 12, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »

... I stepped on the scale after doing 41 minutes of the elliptical today, and it was back down again, but I got two different readings (about 2 lbs. difference). I don't know. Maybe my body is like some kind of SCIENCE EXPERIMENT and cannot reach stable mass.

Dude, I said it about a page back but you seem convinced that you are a unique and beautiful snowflake. EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH THESE FLUCTUATIONS. It's why weighing daily is pretty much devastating to your mindset. You will NEVER see a consistent downward trend if you weigh yourself that often. If your mood becomes too closely tied to what the scale says, you're setting yourself up for a nasty relapse into bad habits, followed by GENUINE weight gain. You haven't even been on this program consistently for a month yet!
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #486 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
Wilco is having mad weight loss woes.

Just do what Cormacaroni is saying.  Scales are assholes and you can't let them veer you off whatever plan you have.  Even when you're comfortable with your weight, sometimes it will read like you've lost weight (like, when you don't want to) or gained weight.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #487 on: February 12, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
FORGET IT GUYZ I GIVE UP, I JUST WENT AND GORGED ON MCDONALDS - I ORDERED THREE DUBBLE CHEESEBURGERS

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just kidding, I ate tilapia marinated in red wine and fish sauce, with a side of quinoa mixed with peas and shrimp and spiced with paprika and fresh garlic.
[close]

PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #488 on: February 12, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
My home. I actually turned down free Subway so I could cook for myself.

I really want to lose another 5 lbs. the next two weeks, so I can get a pizza sometime this month. :drool
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #489 on: February 12, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
Yes, why not ???
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #490 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
Eat pizza right now if you want. Just don't eat the whole thing. Take a couple of slices along with whatever else you're eating and it won't kill you.

Sometimes as little as a few bites of something is enough to satisfy your cravings. If it stops you from thinking about it for weeks, it'll probably help rather than hurt. Once you stop eating junk food, you quickly realize how bad most of it tastes anyway.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #491 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »
I don't think it is, but it was recommended to me by my father because it is rich in protein and is fairly nutritional. I like it because it's easy to cook, not really high in calories and pretty filling.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »

Dude, I said it about a page back but you seem convinced that you are a unique and beautiful snowflake. EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH THESE FLUCTUATIONS. It's why weighing daily is pretty much devastating to your mindset. You will NEVER see a consistent downward trend if you weigh yourself that often. If your mood becomes too closely tied to what the scale says, you're setting yourself up for a nasty relapse into bad habits, followed by GENUINE weight gain. You haven't even been on this program consistently for a month yet!

this. pick ONE DAY A WEEK and weigh yourself. stick to it.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #493 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Sometimes as little as a few bites of something is enough to satisfy your cravings. If it stops you from thinking about it for weeks, it'll probably help rather than hurt. Once you stop eating junk food, you quickly realize how bad most of it tastes anyway.

I haven't really had any junk food since December (I snack on Goldfish every now or sugar free Twizzlers now and then, but that's about it). And to be honest, I don't really miss it. You couldn't pay me to eat McDonald's. And I don't think my stomach could handle it. I find myself pretty full from single portions nowadays. The only thing I was craving of late, oddly enough, was a slice of pizza. I don't think I could even eat more than a couple slices, though. :lol

I kicked my diet soda habit and significantly reduced my drinking (a couple glasses of wine and a light beer a week) with the exception of the Super Bowl and my birthday. All I pretty much drink nowadays is water. I don't really miss soda and if I want something with flavor, I just use one of those insta-Crystal Light packets.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #494 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »

this. pick ONE DAY A WEEK and weigh yourself. stick to it.

I can't help it! I just see that scale sitting there, begging me to step on!

... The reality is that at my weight, it's tough to really figure out if I'm losing weight or not - despite my eating and exercise habits. I know there's really no way I could NOT be losing weight, but I just look at myself in the mirror and I don't notice a difference. :-\
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #495 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »
well, if you ARE gonna weigh yerself daily, do it at the same time every morning, like right when you get up and after you've pissed. geez!
duc

Green Shinobi

« Reply #496 on: February 12, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
Keep at it, Bill. Even if you don't see obvious results, you ARE getting healthier, and that's what's most important.

I just installed a pull-up bar in my bathroom doorway. I can only do seven or eight at a time right now.  :( I remember the days when I could bang out 25 in a row. Gotta work my way back up there.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #497 on: February 13, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
I can attest to the scales. 6 years ago I lost around 40-45 kg (around 90-100 lbs). Don't weigh yourself every day, after every thing you do. It's very easy to fall into that trap and get even more obsessed with weight loss. I did at some point. It's not healthy for you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:31:50 AM by Tieno »
i

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #498 on: February 13, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
DiGiorno has a 200 calorie pizza out. I haven't tried it myself, but the low carb count along with 11g of protein sounds intriguing

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/productinfodisplay.aspx?siteid=1&product=7192100932
jon

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #499 on: February 13, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »
I weigh myself once daily: in the morning after the morning piss.
🍆🍆

cubicle47b

« Reply #500 on: February 13, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
Weigh yourself in the morning at the same time and before you've eaten, put the numbers in Excel, and do a line graph.  You'll see your results a lot more clearly because you'll see through the daily gains / losses from water retention.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
DiGiorno has a 200 calorie pizza out. I haven't tried it myself, but the low carb count along with 11g of protein sounds intriguing

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/productinfodisplay.aspx?siteid=1&product=7192100932

I will have to check this out. Thanks for the link.

I mentioned this is another thread, but I ate out last night at The Green Turtle. Minding my nutritional facts, I substituted french fries that came with my sandwich for a sliced apple. It came in the most ridiculous, kid-friendly plastic bag. I think Disposable White Guy almost laughed me out of the restaurant. :lol
PSP

Oblivion

« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
Okay, kind of a weird question, dunno if anyone here might have an answer for this. For weight gain, preferably building muscle, is the amount of protein you consume in a certain type of food more important than how many calories it contains?

For example, say hypothetically that you eat food that contains about 70 grams of protein, and has 1000 calories. Is that better than eating a food that might have 30 grams of protein, but has 2000 calories?

archie4208

« Reply #503 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »
Did 3 sets at 250 today.  I'm thinking about deloading and working on my technique.  It is really starting to suffer.  Cormac, how much should I deload by?  I was thinking ~25 to 30 lbs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:22:53 PM by archie4208 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #504 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
I pulled some muscle in my groin from yesterday's workout. I still managed to do 45 minutes of cardio and a few reps of crunches, but I'm in PAIN.
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #505 on: February 15, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
I thought about printing out a picture of Kevin Smith and keeping it in my pocket.  If I ever feel like hitting up a McDonald's I can get out the picture and scare myself straight.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #506 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »
Yeah, I actually was thinking about skipping my cardio today because of how sore my groin is, but then the Kevin Smith thing blew up and I immediately jumped on the elliptical :lol
PSP

Draft

« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
Did 3 sets at 250 today.  I'm thinking about deloading and working on my technique.  It is really starting to suffer.  Cormac, how much should I deload by?  I was thinking ~25 to 30 lbs.
About 10% is usually a good place to start.

People get hung up on their form, take 20% off their back and now guess what? You aren't lifting enough to tax yourself, and whatever form you're learning at 80% 5RM isn't going to help a bit at 100% 5RM.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #508 on: February 15, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »
About 10% is usually a good place to start.

People get hung up on their form, take 20% off their back and now guess what? You aren't lifting enough to tax yourself, and whatever form you're learning at 80% 5RM isn't going to help a bit at 100% 5RM.

Absolutely. This describes my training partner exactly. I'm now lifting the same as him, despite him starting this program 2 months ahead of me, and him outweighing me by 25-30lbs. (sorry, that was a bit Green Shinobi, wasn't it). The only explanation I can offer other than that I'm an athletic marvel (I most definitely am not) is that he keeps doing 'form days' whereas I only do 'form practice' in warm-ups and always attempt a new PR at each session.

If you need an extra rest day, it's better to just take an extra rest day.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
Okay, kind of a weird question, dunno if anyone here might have an answer for this. For weight gain, preferably building muscle, is the amount of protein you consume in a certain type of food more important than how many calories it contains?

For example, say hypothetically that you eat food that contains about 70 grams of protein, and has 1000 calories. Is that better than eating a food that might have 30 grams of protein, but has 2000 calories?
For protein, you'll generally need 2g protein/kg that you weigh per day, which is really easy to get through a normal diet.  Some people get all hyped over some protein shake/powders or whatever but there's no reason to use those unless you have to get like 300 grams a day, which wouldn't apply to any normal person.

Calories are simply a unit of energy.  You should be getting plenty of calories (there's roughly 9.4 per gram of fat and 4.2 per gram of carbs and your body can even turn protein into energy if you're starving).  You probably shouldn't increase your caloric intake unless you're doing like HOURS of cardio a day though.

Diet-wise, quantity matters more than quality.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
Couldn't agree less. Have you ever tried building muscle?
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
I honestly don't know why anyone would seriously take advice from am nintenho. I imagine him walking into an E.R. in scrubs telling other doctors to do completely insane stuff in pseudo-medical babble, and then the real doctor shows up and goes, "Who the fuck is this guy?"

Awkward pause, and then am nintenho backs away slow and darts for the exit - where only the wind knows where he might end up next. He's like the distinguished mentally-challenged version of Knight Rider.
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »
Diet is such a tricky subject. It's so easy to make sweeping generalizations that make no sense for the specific situation though. To gain muscle, the FASTEST route is to eat a huge excess of calories, including a hefty amount of protein. But is that the best? Not necessarily. You're going to put on a lot of fat along with that, which is not something most people want. (I've put on a bunch of fat as well, to the point where my wife is starting to give me shit...).

On the other hand, too few calories and you'll never get any stronger or gain muscle. Or continue working out. So most people end up compromising somewhere. If you make the wrong compromises, you stall or get worse.

Basically, this is why I don't answer vague hypotheticals like Oblivion asked. You need info on goals, time frame, current condition, current workout level, motivation (yes everyone is motivated to look awesome, feel great, get stronger and faster and fitter, but how far will a person actually go to achieve their goals?). I don't like to just say 'eat this much protein or this may calories and you'll gain muscle'.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Aren't you GOMADing, Cormac?

duckman2000

« Reply #514 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
you crazy son of a bitch, duckman

Hey, just saying. To use the old "my neighbors" argument again, these clowns who spend a slow hour on the treadmill probably wouldn't need to spend that hour if they had just hiked through the snow instead of driving their cushy vans to the clubhouse gym. And I'm sure these people then wonder why they still get exhausted from normal tasks, even after all that simulation.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #515 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
But I'm not trying to tell him how to get ripped.  The guy sounds like he feels underweight and wants to know generally, how each food group is used by his body.  He mentioned preferably building more muscle than anything else while he gains weight but if he was very serious about getting cut, then he would have posted all sorts of information about his workout schedule and anecdotal stuff he knows and whatever.

duckman2000

« Reply #516 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
I honestly don't know why anyone would seriously take advice from am nintenho. I imagine him walking into an E.R. in scrubs telling other doctors to do completely insane stuff in pseudo-medical babble, and then the real doctor shows up and goes, "Who the fuck is this guy?"

:lol I've been tempted to keep track of it and make an amnintenho encyclopedia of dis/misinformation (covering games, medicine and everything else!), but I'm just not that motivated. But, yeah.

Rman

« Reply #517 on: February 15, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
I try not to be dick to others online, so my apologies, am nintenho, but is English your second language?  I have a hard time understanding your posts most of time.  Again, no offense.

cool breeze

« Reply #518 on: February 15, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »
a kinda random update thing:

after regularly doing pulls up now for the past few weeks, I feel like I knock out a dozen easy underhand, but I can't do a single overhand.  Are the muscle groups that different? I don't know if I should just blame it on my right arm (it has acted weird since I broke it when I was a child) and never attempt them again.  Like, I can even do a single up underhand pull up now.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #519 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:50 PM »
I try not to be dick to others online, so my apologies, am nintenho, but is English your second language?  I have a hard time understanding your posts most of time.  Again, no offense.
yes, it's my "native" language.  Which is why I have to point out that you made a typo.

Rman

« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
My bad, buddy.  You're a great guy.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #521 on: February 16, 2010, 01:34:26 AM »
Aren't you GOMADing, Cormac?

No, but I am eating a hell of a lot. including lots of milk. I've put on about 15lbs since i started in November. Not sure how much further I'll take it, but as long as the weather is cold and everyone is bundled up, no-one even notices :)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #522 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »

:lol I've been tempted to keep track of it and make an amnintenho encyclopedia of dis/misinformation (covering games, medicine and everything else!), but I'm just not that motivated. But, yeah.

Please include 'nuts = protein' if you do!
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:32 AM »

after regularly doing pulls up now for the past few weeks, I feel like I knock out a dozen easy underhand, but I can't do a single overhand.  Are the muscle groups that different? I don't know if I should just blame it on my right arm (it has acted weird since I broke it when I was a child) and never attempt them again.  Like, I can even do a single up underhand pull up now.

I had the same result at first. Try changing to a narrow grip at first, as it feels closer to the underhand version.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #524 on: February 16, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
Isn't wide grip all back?  I can't do any wide grip but can do quite a bit of underhanded and narrow overhanded.  I can actually do a hell of a lot more overhanded than I can underhanded. 

I took about a week off because I had some shoulder pain and just to get a nice rest going.  I feel pretty great and I can't wait to go back tomorrow and start on my 170 bench.  woo!

« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
Must be coming down with a cold. I ran 3 1/2 miles this morning and felt horrible when I was done. Good thing I have all week off (mid-winter break) from work.

Also, I'm a member of the Teacher's Union, and my health insurance plan was offering $50 to fill out a short health survey on WebMD... got my $50 check in the mail today. :rock
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
:rock

Running always makes me feel better when I start feeling sick. 

archie4208

« Reply #527 on: February 17, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
I'm so excited right now.  I started my squats today at 225 since I was planning to deload.  I did the first set and thought "this isn't going to help me".  On a whim I put the weight to 255 and I did my entire 5x5 routine.  Fuck I am sore but I feel like a million bucks right now. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #528 on: February 17, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »
That's awesome.

The more weight you pile on, the more it is dependent on your mind and mentality towards the lift.
🍆🍆

cool breeze

« Reply #529 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »

after regularly doing pulls up now for the past few weeks, I feel like I knock out a dozen easy underhand, but I can't do a single overhand.  Are the muscle groups that different? I don't know if I should just blame it on my right arm (it has acted weird since I broke it when I was a child) and never attempt them again.  Like, I can even do a single up underhand pull up now.

I had the same result at first. Try changing to a narrow grip at first, as it feels closer to the underhand version.

I tried that and can do one or two with bad form.  My right arm still hurts when trying it.

also, I want to find some monkey bars.  I haven't tried them out since elementary school and back then I manged to do a ~10ft long set once in five years .

« Reply #530 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
Seven mile run today! I feel pretty good, too!
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #531 on: February 17, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
You're a fucking beast!

I thought I was awesome doing 4 miles in about 35/40 minutes.  Didn't you say it takes you like an hour?  That's insane.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #532 on: February 17, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
I'm so excited right now.  I started my squats today at 225 since I was planning to deload.  I did the first set and thought "this isn't going to help me".  On a whim I put the weight to 255 and I did my entire 5x5 routine.  Fuck I am sore but I feel like a million bucks right now. 

That's something like a 25% increase in your 5Rm so far, right? Congrats!
vjj

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #533 on: February 17, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Also when I went to Youtube to get this I was assaulted by almost full page McD's banner ads. They finally sold their soul to the devil. Fuckin terrible.
◕‿◕

« Reply #534 on: February 18, 2010, 12:59:39 AM »
You're a fucking beast!

I thought I was awesome doing 4 miles in about 35/40 minutes.  Didn't you say it takes you like an hour?  That's insane.

Oh no, took me about 80 minutes to do seven today. If I can do 12-13 minute miles during the half-marathon I'll be stoked.

It's funny, as long as I keep running, I feel good. If I stop at all, my shins become very angry.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #535 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:47 AM »
the obvious conclusion is that running lots is good for your shins.
vjj

Green Shinobi

« Reply #536 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:19 AM »
Seven mile run today! I feel pretty good, too!

Hitting the ten mile mark for the first time was one of the best moments of my life.

archie4208

« Reply #537 on: February 18, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »

That's something like a 25% increase in your 5Rm so far, right? Congrats!

I started from scratch back in November because my technique was so horrible and I hadn't squatted in forever.  I restarted at 65 pounds so I have added 190 pounds in like 4 months. 

Green Shinobi

« Reply #538 on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
Did you get any funny looks while squatting the bar with ten pound weights on each side?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »

nintenho has given advice based on believing you can spot-reduce fat.  And yet still feels he can give worthwhile health advice.  He's hopeless.
MMA