Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817067 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #720 on: February 24, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »
I didn't mean it like it was some secret I found. I should have specified that it doesnt impede my growth too much. I can still make good gains with it. I found a balance good enough for me while understanding i am forfeiting gains. Just implying himu could do the same if he was determined to do both.

No sweat - I know what you mean. Just trying to keep the (non-deliberate) misinformation ITT to a minimum. There is so much wrong-headed bullshit about diet and fitness out there. Somedays i'd rather be a Wii fan :gloomy
You'd get your physique a lot quicker if you used Wii Fit!

And fuck running stairs.  Oh jesus, fuck them up the ass.  No no no no no no no.  My legs hurt just thinking about it.  not for me!  no, sir!

Well, a few pages back you were asking about what to do when you plateau. Just keep this sort of stuff in mind for when the 30 mins cardio stops doing anything for you. Which came pretty fast in my case. The problem was that I continued on for about a year even after it had stopped having any effect rather than moving up the ladder.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #721 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
Fuuuuuuuuuu

I'll definitely move on to something more intense when I plateau.

I took last night as my night off thanks to the deadlifts.  That meant I got to relax, watch Lost and eat some motherfucking girl scout cookies.  Pretty good shit.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #722 on: February 24, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Cardio in nature works against muscle building. You want short bursts of it, wanting to burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time possible.

See, cardio is tricky, the more you do it....the better your body becomes at it. Which means the least calories you burn. I had a personal trainer hand me a plan, and he explained it, i do about 25 min of cardio total, 10 at the beginning (The ski thing, looks like you are going up steps), 15 at the end to dry up. It's all about that metabolism.

Yesterday i attended this Total conditioning session...my goodness, my legs were blown up. And there was a katy perry look a like with a brazillians ass, i had to hide my hard on twice.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:53:41 PM by WrikaWrek »

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #723 on: February 24, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
shoulda let it hang out there for her.
XDF

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #724 on: February 24, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
I've said a bunch of times that appearances matter little to me, but damn it if this midsection isn't starting to get to me. The diet is doing what it is supposed to be doing and I'm progressing nicely in the weight I can lift, but I may have to make some adjustments or get a new wardrobe.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #725 on: February 24, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Don't do cardio for weight loss. Do it for your HEART and LUNGS.

Weight control is done with FOOD.

The gym is for improving your body's CAPABILITIES.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #726 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »

Cormac, I normally agree with and have followed you on a lot of things you have said, but I have to say I disagree this time.

I think cardio is a vital part of weight loss.  Having a healthy diet and regular exercise (cardio) are both key elements to losing weight.  Take it from somebody who has tried.  Every time that I've tried to lose significant weight, my success has been measured by how many calories I'm taking in and a substantial amount of cardio on a regular basis.  Dieting alone usually results in people losing no more than 10-15 lbs. 

I actually discussed this with the ER physician I was working with a couple of weeks ago.  He also works as a cardiologist and is greatly respected for his knowledge and skills where he practices.  We talked about my recent weight loss and he asked if I was doing a lot of cardio.  He told me that that in all of his years in medicine, the majority of his patients seeking to lose large amounts of weight included heavy cardio in their daily lives.  "Simply put," he said, "You gotta burn nearly as much of that shit (calories) as you put in."
WTF

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #727 on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

Da fuck.

Am i a fighter or some shit? Training for Fight Night?

Aesthetics bitch, that's why people go to the gym, so you happen to get wealthy as a bonus, awesome. But i'm not going to be stronger or faster.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #728 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
I kinda agree with Cormac.

Running isn't just a brute force way of making your body consume those calories.  For long term I don't think it's a good idea.  And diet is far more important in weight loss.  If you're someone who has a naturally slow metabolism, doing all the cardio in the world isn't going to help your weight loss after a certain point.  You need to make huge changes in your diet.

I see cardio as a way to reach a certain goal, but fuck using it to maintain that.  That's where diet control and other physical activities should come in.

duckman2000

« Reply #729 on: February 24, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »

Da fuck.

Aesthetics bitch, that's why people go to the gym, so you happen to get wealthy as a bonus, awesome. But i'm not going to be stronger or faster.

To each their own. Granted that I don't mind looking more like a shaved grizzly than a skinned pig, but that's a minor benefit. Practical strength for practical applications. :rock
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:41:29 PM by duckman2000 »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »

Cormac, I normally agree with and have followed you on a lot of things you have said, but I have to say I disagree this time.

I think cardio is a vital part of weight loss.  Having a healthy diet and regular exercise (cardio) are both key elements to losing weight.  Take it from somebody who has tried.  Every time that I've tried to lose significant weight, my success has been measured by how many calories I'm taking in and a substantial amount of cardio on a regular basis.  Dieting alone usually results in people losing no more than 10-15 lbs. 

I actually discussed this with the ER physician I was working with a couple of weeks ago.  He also works as a cardiologist and is greatly respected for his knowledge and skills where he practices.  We talked about my recent weight loss and he asked if I was doing a lot of cardio.  He told me that that in all of his years in medicine, the majority of his patients seeking to lose large amounts of weight included heavy cardio in their daily lives.  "Simply put," he said, "You gotta burn nearly as much of that shit (calories) as you put in."

Just because it's the most common way to lose weight does not mean it's the best. Cardio is the only form of physical training most people ever do; by extension, it has the highest correlation with losing weight. That does not imply a causative relationship.

That said, cardio is certainly extremely helpful if you want to lose weight. I didn't say otherwise. I didn't say don't do cardio. You need to understand WHY exercise helps you lose weight though, which is something I've been trying to get through Willco's head as well. You do it to improve your body first, which then allows you to burn calories more efficiently later. The problem is that most people continue doing cardio only, long after it has made all the improvements it is going to make in your body. It then becomes a crutch that they need to keep the weight off, i.e. I ate 2,000 calories today, I have to do my 30 mins of cardio! As soon as people stop the cardio, they put the weight back on. Which - no offense but i've seen pictures - I'll wager right now is a phenomenon you have experienced personally.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »

Da fuck.

Ask yourself: do any of the people you want to look like in the world of sports or athletics train the way you do? If not, how do you expect you're going to get to look like them? You think Usain Bolt spends much time on the eliptical?
vjj

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

Da fuck.

Ask yourself: do any of the people you want to look like in the world of sports or athletics train the way you do? If not, how do you expect you're going to get to look like them? You think Usain Bolt spends much time on the eliptical?

Who said i want to look like anyone from sports?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
Who do you want to look like?

Whoever it is, you'll get there faster by focusing on performance, not on trying to fix individual body parts.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »

Just because it's the most common way to lose weight does not mean it's the best. Cardio is the only form of physical training most people ever do; by extension, it has the highest correlation with losing weight. That does not imply a causative relationship.

That said, cardio is certainly extremely helpful if you want to lose weight. I didn't say otherwise. I didn't say don't do cardio. You need to understand WHY exercise helps you lose weight though, which is something I've been trying to get through Willco's head as well. You do it to improve your body first, which then allows you to burn calories more efficiently later. The problem is that most people continue doing cardio only, long after it has made all the improvements it is going to make in your body. It then becomes a crutch that they need to keep the weight off, i.e. I ate 2,000 calories today, I have to do my 30 mins of cardio! As soon as people stop the cardio, they put the weight back on. Which - no offense but i've seen pictures - I'll wager right now is a phenomenon you have experienced personally.

I can't say that is 100% true for me.  I've lost weight before on diet alone, but never any more than 30 lbs.  Before now, the most I've ever lost was 50 lbs during a time that I worked at a summer camp.  We had to be very active with the kids and spent most of our time outside running around unless it was just too hot.  We actually had a high calorie diet being fed to us during that time, but it was the nonstop active lifestyle that caused the weight loss.  This is a major part of what led me to my conclusion about regular cardio being key to weight loss.

I concede that I misread your original post and thought you said lose weight, not control it.  I apologize.

I can't honestly say that I know anything about maintaining healthy weight.  I've never done it.  But I do personally feel that it's still important to do cardio regularly (especially for the purposes of weight loss). 

Would you not say that it's important to still exercise regularly (this time, cardio and strength) for the purposes of maintaining physical fitness?  Maybe you don't do it to build muscle or lose weight, but just to keep the body you have.

My other question (and I want you to know that I really am looking for your opinion, not just sniping you for an argument) is this: what do you do when diet stops being enough?  Every diet is slammed with the dreaded plateau of weight loss, and this is where a lot of people lose hope and give up.  I am actually coming up on my plateau now.  But I am determined to get past it.  Is it healthy/safe to lower your calorie intake at this point?  Do you load up on a certain vitamin/mineral to power through it?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #735 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
andrew, good post. I'm busy at work but will definitely respond later. Lots to chew on there.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
andrew, good post. I'm busy at work but will definitely respond later. Lots to chew on there.

No worries.
WTF

Himu

« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
Yeah, machines aren't the best I discovered today as I used free weights instead. Damn nice workout.

I used the row machine for about 10 minutes before lifting for an hour and then swam for 30 minutes.

Overall, fantastic workout today.
IYKYK

duckman2000

« Reply #738 on: February 24, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Put a few plates in a backpack (total of 25lbs) and tried weighted pull ups. It sucked (expected) but it didn't really impact the amount of reps to failure, which is a bit surprising.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #739 on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »
That IS kinda surprising. I fall off a cliff when I add weight. Usually I only work up to a max single for the day, just for fun really.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:01 PM »
Andrew Fields: 
Would you not say that it's important to still exercise regularly (this time, cardio and strength) for the purposes of maintaining physical fitness?  Maybe you don't do it to build muscle or lose weight, but just to keep the body you have.

My other question (and I want you to know that I really am looking for your opinion, not just sniping you for an argument) is this: what do you do when diet stops being enough?  Every diet is slammed with the dreaded plateau of weight loss, and this is where a lot of people lose hope and give up.  I am actually coming up on my plateau now.  But I am determined to get past it.  Is it healthy/safe to lower your calorie intake at this point?  Do you load up on a certain vitamin/mineral to power through it?

Both diet and fitness are the cornerstones of any attempt at health and fitness. There should be no confusion about that. We can all argue about the nature of those two elements but I doubt anyone will seriously contest that both are necessary. If anyone does want to argue about that, I'm going to have to get very patronizing and self-righteous indeed.

I think many people get confused as to why they should do cardio, or any kind of training. Yes, the calories burned will offset calories consumed (although even that is nowhere near as linear or predictable as many would like to believe). No, that's not why you should do it. The easiest and best way to manage calories is to control your intake, in terms of macronutrient ratios, quality of food, and volume.

Why is it not good to consume a large pizza, say, then 'burn it off'? Michael Phelps does this, and he won all those Gold medals!, you might say. Well, Michael Phelps is literally AGING himself prematurely by taking in over 10,000 calories and burning them off. He is offsetting that to a considerable extent by maintaining phenomenal physical condition, but he will pay the price in later years. So while you want to exercise to be healthy, you don't want to exercise more than you need. Doing cardio to work off your calories is a bad cycle you don't want to get into.

Forget about weight loss and calories. Focus on lean body mass. You may think this is the same thing, but many people miss the point. Most everyone (i.e. everyone below 'athlete') needs more muscle, and less fat to be healthy. So you need a two-pronged approach of using both diet and exercise to build muscle and reduce fat. This may result in an increase in weight. So what. After a while, you won't need a scale to tell you whether you are healthy and fit and strong. A mirror and a stopwatch will be all you need.

So use diet to build muscle, use diet to reduce body fat (which emphatically does NOT mean reducing dietary fat), exercise to build muscle, exercise to reduce fat. Approx. 80% of body composition changes will occur from diet, but that 20% may be where you are lacking.

I have no idea what you are doing right now so I have no idea how to advise you on a plateau. In general, though, I advise setting performance goals, not weight goals. If you get to the point where you can, say, deadlift 400lbs AND run a 400m in 60 seconds or less, your weight will be close to ideal. Aim for that. Even if you fall short, you'll probably still look and feel pretty awesome. (I'm shy of both myself...these are fairly lofty goals for a middle-aged man who sat on his ass most of his life).
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »
180 situps today. Up from 144 Sunday. Also 63 pushups today. Up from 53.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »

:bow
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
I do cardio on the regular, but have incorporated crunches and dumbbells almost daily - save for the once or twice a week I lift at the gym. I feel it's helping. Watching what I eat probably helps a lot too.
PSP

Green Shinobi

« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
The weather started warming up over here, so I went running outside for the first time in awhile. It's appalling how out of shape I've gotten. This is probably the worst my cardio has been in the last three years. I doubt I could run more than 2 miles at a good pace right now, which is pretty awful considering five miles was a piss-easy run for me at this time a year ago.

I really need to stop smoking cigarettes. I only smoke maybe 2-5 cigarettes a week, only when I'm drinking, but every time I do I can feel my lungs hurting for a few days afterward. Also, the second-hand smoke here in Korea is crazy. Together with the pollution, this is not a very lung-friendly country.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »
Might just take some getting accustomed back into it.  When I take breaks from running, it takes me a while to get back to where I was.  I used to be able to run 4 miles non stop in about 35/40 minutes.  But I took a break and when I started again I could barely get to 2 miles in 30 minutes at a slow pace.  But after a week or so I was back up to where I was before.

Then again, I never smoke :p

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »

:D

The worst part of the situps isn't actually doing them, it's the time it takes.  Doing 70 situps, resting a bit and then doing 60, resting a bit and then doing 50 more is damn time consuming.  The pushups get nailed out fast as hell. 

archie4208

« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
Mups, dumb question, but is that in one set?  If so, that is beastly.

edit:  nevermind.  I need to learn to read. :P

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
hahahaha

I wish, man.  My current goal is to get to 100 for each set, 300 total.  I'm moving up quick though.  When I first started a couple weeks ago, my first set was like 15.  On Sunday, my first set was 56, yesterday it was 70.  I do want to get up to 1000 total though and do it twice a week.  That's my ultimate goal.  Not because it would necessarily be beneficial, but because I'd feel like a beast!  rawr.

Pushups my first set when I began was like 5.  Last night it was 22.  On Sunday it was 20.  My second set got a bigger gain, it was 13 on Sunday, and last night it was 17.  I'm not sure on my ultimate goal with pushups because I've never been very good at them.  Right now, I want to get to 50 with each set. 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #749 on: February 25, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
I have no idea what you are doing right now so I have no idea how to advise you on a plateau. In general, though, I advise setting performance goals, not weight goals. If you get to the point where you can, say, deadlift 400lbs AND run a 400m in 60 seconds or less, your weight will be close to ideal. Aim for that. Even if you fall short, you'll probably still look and feel pretty awesome. (I'm shy of both myself...these are fairly lofty goals for a middle-aged man who sat on his ass most of his life).

Currently, I'm maintaining a general intake of around 2,000 calories daily (I'm currently @ 350 lbs).  On average, that diet includes high protein, 3-4 servings fruits/veggies, 8+ 8oz cups of water, and as many no-sugar added and natural products as possible.  For exercise, I burn an average of 400 calories daily including 15 min of strength (resistance bands) training, and 30 min of cardio.  If possible, I try to throw in at least a 1-2 mile walk daily (weather permitting) or doing step-ups on a homemade platform for 30 min.

My starting weight in October was 382 lbs (an all-time high for me :(), and I dropped to 376 lbs by Christmas.  During that time I hadn't really made any significant attempts at losing weight other than taking some Adipex given to me by my MD.  From Christmas until now, I've dropped to 350 lbs with the routine I mentioned above or some variation of it.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #750 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
Andrwfields, I'd suggest doing stuff like playing basketball or if your gym has it, racquetball or something. 

Those activities have always done a lot more for me and from people i've seen lose weight.  One thing is, you've probably been doing the same routine for a while.  Switch it up.  Do some HIIT if you're doing long distance jogging.  Get on a bike.  Do stairs instead.  The change will make you start losing weight again. 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #751 on: February 25, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
Andrwfields, I'd suggest doing stuff like playing basketball or if your gym has it, racquetball or something. 

Those activities have always done a lot more for me and from people i've seen lose weight.  One thing is, you've probably been doing the same routine for a while.  Switch it up.  Do some HIIT if you're doing long distance jogging.  Get on a bike.  Do stairs instead.  The change will make you start losing weight again. 

Until the weather warms up, I'm stuck with the basics.  Can't afford a gym membership, and there isn't a gym within 45 mins of where I live anyway.  The bike is a goal of mine, but I'm using it as a reward item for when I drop under 300 lbs. 

I'll post more when the ER isn't packed!
WTF

Himu

« Reply #752 on: February 25, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
I'm going for an hour swim later tonight. Can't wait!

Tomorrow I'll do some basketball as cardio.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #753 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
So, Cormac, I need your opinion...

A friend gave me some stuff called SuperPump.  He got it with P90X but didn't like the way it made him feel.  So I decided to give it a shot.

Now, I don't know if it was the SuperPump or the boost I got from deadlift (I definitely feel physically better after recovering from the deadlift), but I fucking destroyed all my tops today.

I was able to do the same amount of assisted pullups 5 weight levels lighter.  I got 4 extra reps of bench in.  Squats didn't feel like shit and I made damn sure I was parallel each time.  I went fucking nuts on dips.

So I'm not sure which it was, but I fucking loved it.  I feel great.  I had a ton of energy.  I'd like to know your opinion.  I don't know shit about supplements (I know a bunch of people telling me to take creatine, but from what I've read it's not recommended if you're still seeing natural gains).

Opinions?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #754 on: February 25, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
[youtube=560,345]PYfNA_lmkHM[/youtube]

Sexy burpees :-[
:9

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #755 on: February 26, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
So, Cormac, I need your opinion...

A friend gave me some stuff called SuperPump.  He got it with P90X but didn't like the way it made him feel.  So I decided to give it a shot.

Now, I don't know if it was the SuperPump or the boost I got from deadlift (I definitely feel physically better after recovering from the deadlift), but I fucking destroyed all my tops today.

I was able to do the same amount of assisted pullups 5 weight levels lighter.  I got 4 extra reps of bench in.  Squats didn't feel like shit and I made damn sure I was parallel each time.  I went fucking nuts on dips.

So I'm not sure which it was, but I fucking loved it.  I feel great.  I had a ton of energy.  I'd like to know your opinion.  I don't know shit about supplements (I know a bunch of people telling me to take creatine, but from what I've read it's not recommended if you're still seeing natural gains).

Opinions?

Will have to pass on the SuperPump question, Mups. The only supplement I take is fish oil, which is tried and tested.

You could just have had a great day, it happens! Maybe you weren't drained from constant sex for once ;)
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #756 on: February 26, 2010, 12:10:30 AM »
Maybe!  It has been two days thanks to aunt Flo. I guess ill find out if it was a fluke Saturday.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #757 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »
What are the benefits of fish oil?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #758 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
Anti-aging, faster recovery, joint health...hot women eyeing you in bars...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #759 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
[youtube=560,345]7vjoRfK884g[/youtube]
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #760 on: February 26, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »

Currently, I'm maintaining a general intake of around 2,000 calories daily (I'm currently @ 350 lbs).  On average, that diet includes high protein, 3-4 servings fruits/veggies, 8+ 8oz cups of water, and as many no-sugar added and natural products as possible.  For exercise, I burn an average of 400 calories daily including 15 min of strength (resistance bands) training, and 30 min of cardio.  If possible, I try to throw in at least a 1-2 mile walk daily (weather permitting) or doing step-ups on a homemade platform for 30 min.

My starting weight in October was 382 lbs (an all-time high for me :(), and I dropped to 376 lbs by Christmas.  During that time I hadn't really made any significant attempts at losing weight other than taking some Adipex given to me by my MD.  From Christmas until now, I've dropped to 350 lbs with the routine I mentioned above or some variation of it.

Sounds like a decent plan. I suspect that there is still plenty of room to tighten up the diet but you're losing weight pretty rapidly so probably no need to tweak it (and risk making yourself utterly miserable) just yet. When the weight loss tapers off, you'll probably need to get into more detail, sorting veggies and fruits into good (broccoli) and bad (potatoes) categories, eliminating all 'products' etc. But 35lbs in 3 months is a lot so don't fret.

Exercise-wise, there is certainly a lot you can do to optimize but your options are inherently limited by your weight so no need to fuss with it just yet. The most important thing is to establish a sustainably healthy lifestyle. If you can keep this up for 6 months, you'll have made serious progress I bet, and you'll be ready to kick the exercise up a notch or two.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #761 on: February 26, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
Honestly, I'm already doing a lot of that, diet wise.  Most of my veggie intake stems from broccoli, carrots, lettuce (but I hear that I should switch to spinach), and in lesser amounts: tomatoes, onions, califlower, and sometimes potatoes.  I'm still widening my range of veggies because those have been the only ones I really would eat since childhood.  As far as fruit, it's mostly fresh oranges, bananas, and berries mixed into yogurt and smoothies.  I try to avoid "white" foods in preference of their healthier versions or alternatives (i.e. whole wheat tortillas or bread instead of white bread).  The only supplement I'm taking is a whey-protein powder mix once a day, and the occasional 1000mg of Vitamin C during the colder months.  I mostly avoid red meats and pork.  Poultry and fish are my general mainstays for meat.  Little to no sodium, fast food and pre-made meals are rare for me, and other than my very occasional glass of wine or cup of coffee, I'm drinking water.

My general goal with exercise is to push myself a little harder every day.  As soon as the weather warms up a bit, my range of activity will expand and increase further than walking/jogging and indoor exercise.
WTF

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #762 on: February 26, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
Sounds like andrwfields and I are in the same boat. I started at 375 lbs. as of December 26th, down to 332 lbs. as of yesterday.

I do 35 minutes to 45 minutes of cardio daily, a few set of crunches, some dumbbell exercises and the like. I set aside a day for lifting and machines at the gym, and try to do a two-hour strength training on Sunday. This week has sucked, because I did not have my Sunday or gym day (my dad is my personal trailer, and his schedule was full).

I don't think I have had a potato in over two months. All my carb foods are whole grain too.
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #763 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
Well I'm not sure what it was yesterday, but I definitely feel it today.  Goddamn, I'm sore.

I can't wait to do it again tomorrow though.  Today I'm going to run and do my situps and pushups.

Today's goal for situps is 210.  So 80 first set, 70 second, 60 third.  Maybe more if I can manage.  an increase in 10 is relatively small to my other recent gains.

My goal for pushups today is ~70.  We'll see how I do.

Edit: Oh and I lost two days of nut buildup.  My wife gave in to my bloody desires last night.  So I gotta build it up again for Saturday evening's workout.

« Reply #764 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
I ran with some friends last night. Having other people to keep pace with makes everything totally different. Did five miles last night and I wanted to die when we were done.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #765 on: February 26, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »
hahaha.  that's why I hate running with people

I usually feel the urge to keep up with them.  Even when my wife is running right next to me on the treadmill, I have a habit of peeking over and seeing "6.0mph" and going GODDAMMIT and kicking it up a notch.  I'm just pretty competitive.  She does the same thing though.  Same with when I work out with friends.  It's always a little fun to have some competition and encourage you to do better.

How often do you run?  You seem to run a lot!

« Reply #766 on: February 26, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
How often do you run?  You seem to run a lot!

At least five times a week. I don't run on Fridays, and sometimes I take off Saturday. I don't go to the gym, so running is my workout.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #767 on: February 26, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »
he runs right past a Crossfit gym, smh
vjj

« Reply #768 on: February 26, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
I live a couple blocks from Greenlake:

Perfect place to go running, and the neighborhoods around are good too.

he runs right past a Crossfit gym, smh

I can see the Crossfit gym from my front yard if I arch my neck.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:29:58 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #769 on: February 26, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
hahahahaha

Question that I've been meaning to ask: Ever since I started lifting I pee A LOT.  Like at work, at least once every 45 minutes.  When I start getting active, even more often.  I've always been a huge consumer of water.  I'm constantly drinking water all day, but it was never this bad before lifting.  It's kinda annoying.

archie4208

« Reply #770 on: February 26, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
Failed 260 again.  Deload time!  I'm going back down to 230 on Monday.  I'm also going to start working on my deadlifts too.  I've been avoiding it since it is a pain in the ass to set up, but not any more!

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #771 on: February 27, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
Yesterday, I worked a Health Fair with the hospital, got some cool swag, but more importantly I got some tests ran for free!  Here are the results:

45.5% Body Fat
Fat Weight: 159 lbs
Lean Weight: 191 lbs
Est Body H2O: 43.4%
BMI: 51.9
BMR: 2412

And from blood:
WBC 10.1
H&H 13.4, 41.1
Plt 290

Cholesterol 107 (Non-Fasting)
Trigs 72
HDL 24
LDL 68

In Review:
I knew that my Body Fat, BMI, BMR, and Fat Weight would all be bad.  But I wanted to see the numbers anyway, because I knew the facts would be good for me.  I wasn't expecting my blood work to come back with such positive results though.  My WBC was +.1 more than it should have been, but it's not to worry.  My cholesterol results were great (especially to be non-fasting), although my HDL is about half of what it should be.

Keeping on with the diet, choosing better foods, doing more exercise, and apparently going to buy some of that fish oil that Cormac's been going on about.  :lol
WTF

cool breeze

« Reply #772 on: February 27, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »

:D

The worst part of the situps isn't actually doing them, it's the time it takes.  Doing 70 situps, resting a bit and then doing 60, resting a bit and then doing 50 more is damn time consuming.  The pushups get nailed out fast as hell. 

yeah, I often think that I would rather make push ups or sit ups harder so I could could just do less.  As it is, I need to be listening to something or watching tv to get bored.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #773 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
Do something else then. After a point, sit-ups and push-ups don't do a whole lot for you. Try holding an L-sit on parallettes for 30 seconds and you'll never again complain about how long your ab workout takes.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #774 on: February 27, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
You can always do an extended chin-up. I'm sure there is a proper term for it, but you know, where you bring your knees to your elbows at the top of the chin-up.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #775 on: February 27, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
KTE, or knees-to-elbows! But that isn't an actual chin-up - the arms are only used to hang on. Yes, there are scads of tougher alternatives. Gymnasts don't get cores that strong by doing more sit-ups than the rest of us - they do progressively tougher exercises.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #776 on: February 27, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
After 300 situps, I think I'm going to look into other ab exercises because goddamn it's time consuming.  I did 210 last night and fucking hell it was too long.

Anyways, great workout tonight!

I moved up in my bench press weight and usually it takes about a week to move up again, I should be moving up another 5 pounds next workout.  It was so fucking easy.  It's the damn Super Pump shit I believe.  I felt great.  I moved up a level in assisted pullups and was able to do a ton more dips.

But now, bad news.  I did something running yesterday.  i have a pain in my inner thigh.  I stopped running yesterday because it hurt a little and I didn't want to really agitate it.  So I go to do squats today and I felt it.  FUCK.  I don't know what's it's from because it didn't hurt Thursday. 

So I skipped squats and deadlift today and I'm skipping running tomorrow.  It's not a horrible pain, but there is definitely something wrong.  I'm going to do a set of squats with an empty bar on Monday and see how I feel with it. 

Any additional advice to assist with the healing process?  I can feel it when I stretch my left leg by pulling my knee up to my chest. Should I keep stretching it?  Or should I leave it alone completely?  Thanks in advance.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #777 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:11 PM »
If the pain keeps up for more than a few days, I'd go see a doctor and have it checked out.  Take some Aleve or Ibuprofen to see if it's just an inflamed muscle.  If that doesn't work... doctor.
WTF

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #778 on: February 28, 2010, 12:15:55 AM »
Tried to get a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (KSO Keep-Stuff-Out, type) and they're all sold out in my size ;_;
:9

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #779 on: March 01, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »
If the pain keeps up for more than a few days, I'd go see a doctor and have it checked out.  Take some Aleve or Ibuprofen to see if it's just an inflamed muscle.  If that doesn't work... doctor.
Yeah, that's the plan.  I haven't felt anything from it today but I think I'm going to hold off til Wednesday for anything legs still. 

I've also got a nice little knot on my lower right bicep.  It only hurts when touched (during exercise I don't even feel it).  I found it when I stretched in a chair yesterday and the back edge of the chair just barely touched it. 

My wife massaged it a bit and it's all better now.