Author Topic: God of War III - New info  (Read 28633 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: God of War III - New info
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
While I was at the grocery store this morning, I got a text from GS that GOW3 will be available at 12:01AM Tuesday and to be there by 10PM Monday to finalize payment.  :lol :lol
©ZH

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:23 PM »
Just played the demo. Was epic but I've never loved the feel of GOWs combat. Only a rental for me, I'll buy Bayonetta instead once I'm not such a dirty poor  :-\

The thing I liked the most about the demo were the QTEs and riding the troll. That's how shit the combat was. Clunky as fuck, Bayonetta needs to school Kratos's slow ass sometime. Also Kratos has some seriously weird walking animation (when you're holding the head of Helios for example). I did get used to the combat again pretty quick (been a while since I played GoW) but I still can't help but think about how much better the game would be if you could cancel moves and string together more dynamic combos. Also the dodging is a little broken.

Great looking but feels stiff.
◕‿◕

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Just played the demo. Was epic but I've never loved the feel of GOWs combat. Only a rental for me, I'll buy Bayonetta instead once I'm not such a dirty poor  :-\

The thing I liked the most about the demo were the QTEs and riding the troll. That's how shit the combat was. Clunky as fuck, Bayonetta needs to school Kratos's slow ass sometime. Also Kratos has some seriously weird walking animation (when you're holding the head of Helios for example). I did get used to the combat again pretty quick (been a while since I played GoW) but I still can't help but think about how much better the game would be if you could cancel moves and string together more dynamic combos. Also the dodging is a little broken.

The final game offers way less in the way of clunky combat. Lots of things I found annoying about the demo were addressed. And if you want dynamic combat, wait until you get all four weapons. It's insane the amount of things you could do now.

Also just finished the game. In two words: BALLSLAPPINGLY AWESOME.

ENDING SPOILERS - BEWARE!!!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kratos takes his own life with the Blade of Olympus. Bummed me out man. :(
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
:bow gamefly :bow2
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
I read the story on /v/ earlier today. I lol'd

But I guess that's par for the course with this
fat

Tucah

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »
Been trying to decide all day if I wanted to go at midnight or not but I decided fuck it, I'm going. I'll get back, play the first 30 minutes or so then wait to play more tomorrow. SO HYPED :hyper

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »

The final game offers way less in the way of clunky combat. Lots of things I found annoying about the demo were addressed. And if you want dynamic combat, wait until you get all four weapons. It's insane the amount of things you could do now.

[close]

I don't mind the ending.  Kratos has been a dick since the 2nd GOW. 

His constant bitch moaning gets on my nerves.  I wish the 3rd game lets the gamer fight Kratos instead.  It would actually make sense because Kratos would try to destroy the entire world just because he's a selfish asshole. 

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »

[close]

I don't mind the ending.  Kratos has been a dick since the 2nd GOW. 

His constant bitch moaning gets on my nerves.  I wish the 3rd game lets the gamer fight Kratos instead.  It would actually make sense because Kratos would try to destroy the entire world just because he's a selfish asshole. 

Kratos fighting himself definitely would've been better than the whole 'hope' bullshit they tried to force into the game. The ending was definitely rushed especially considering Stig himself came out and said they had to cut a major part of the ending (titan battle) which they're thinking about putting up as free DLC.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2010, 03:38:02 AM »

[close]

Fuck, I hope Evanescence plays as the BGM during the ending. :lol
PS4

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »

[close]

Fuck, I hope Evanescence plays as the BGM during the ending. :lol

It's not as slitwrist emo as you'd think it to be.

TripleA

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »
Getting my copy tomorrow, please don't spoil this for me Mr.Internet :D

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
 :elephant Today is the day :elephant

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
:bow Slime

Any more impressions? I can't play for a few more hours.
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
Dont tell anyone, but I hear it plays just like God of War
fat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
And looks at least three generations better than the best looking X360 game.

Holy fuck at the graphics.

Brehvolution

« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
Dont tell anyone, but I hear it plays just like God of War

©ZH

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
Picked up my copy today :rock

I beat the collection last weekend, so I am ready  8)
jon

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
Just bought the thing but probably won't play it until later this week.  I still got a BC2 addiction.
Tacos

Wario64

« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
how long is this game? same length as the other 2 (10 hours)?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
Any good deals for GOW3 other than TRU?  I wasted 10 mins going there this morning.  At 11am, they already only have copies left for people who preordered. 

BB has $10 off if you buy the GOW collection as well but I've no desire to play those old games again. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »
Amazon has $10 credit, thats about it. The $20 deal was the best you got

Unless it was on the TRU ad, you could PM it at Best Buy
fat

Tucah

« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
Just got it, played about an hour or so. HOLY SHIT at the opening scene/boss battle. Great stuff. Game looks fantastic. This is probably all I'll play today, but I can't wait to dive in further.

:rock Kratos :rock

Brehvolution

« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
If anyone want a code for the gamestop pre-order skin, let me know.

I'll PM it tomorrow since I left the card at work.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »
:omg This game :bow2
©ZH

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:46 AM »
And looks at least three generations better than the best looking X360 game.

Holy fuck at the graphics.

And it will get outsold by 3rd party, multiplatform 360 games 5:1.

Do we really have to system warize each game's thread?

Sorry

cool breeze

« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2010, 01:34:42 AM »
brief impressions:

-QTEs are really bad in this.  The only thing better than having an icon fill up the screen is icons on the edges of the screen, meaning I'm constantly looking away from the action to catch the next one.

-It is a very pretty game.

-It is God of War.

-the first level was boring despite the impressive visuals.  It was the same boring fight three or four times.  has been fun since then, though.

Bebpo

« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
OH MY GOD at GoW3

I did not think it was possibly to do the leap from GoW1->GoW2 graphics because GoW2 especially in the GoW collection was almost on par with this gen.  BUT WOWOWOW.  Framerate is all over the place, but aside from that this is the best looking console game I've ever seen. 

Best motion blur ever.  Almost looks CG at times. 

JAFFE WINS, IT LOOKS LIKE A PAINTING :O

PS. Dante's Inferno
:rofl
Good thing they released first or people might have thought they accidently released a dreamcast game in 2010!

Bebpo

« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2010, 03:53:48 AM »
This game looks amazing, but damn if this isn't the worst framerate for a major title in a while.  It's not bad like slideshow since it's actually 30-60 a lot, but the unstableness and constant moving around from 20fps-50fps every 10 seconds is pretty jarring.  Kinda worth it for the incredible visuals, but still...

I hope they do a GoW collection on PS4 that makes this 60fps :P

Graphics-aside, I'm finding the game much harder than GoW1/2 on normal.  I wonder if they felt GoW was too easy in a world of DMC, NG, Bayo.  I'm sure it'll get easier when you get more moves and longer bars since you'll have more options in combat. 

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »
Oh and about the QTEs, at first I didn't like the change to them because they were hard to see, but then when I realized the point of it is so you don't actually have to look at what button is being displayed, just hit the button in the direction...I actually prefer this.  I suck at QTEs and I'm actually doing better by just thinking LEFT/RIGHT/TOP/BOTTOM instead of weird symbols.

Cravis

« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »
I played for about 6 hours yesterday. Amazing game. Probably the first game that lives up to it's promise of being "Epic."

Smooth Groove

« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Picked up GOW3 yesterday at Gamestop along with Heavy Rain.  There was a coupon for 25% off a used game if you bought GOW3. 

I've played through the first 2 levels and so far the game is like a painting come to life. I've yet to see anything like it. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
yeah, frame rate is a bit spazzy, but sadly, i will take that over the alternative that is massive screen tearing. other than that, it's a gorgeous game, makes dante's inferno seem downright ghetto

oh, and if i'm gonna gripe: the camera choices kinda suck in the prologue area, especially when fighting a screen filling boss
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:16:45 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
That's not a gripe.  It's undeniable that the camera angles are total shit. 

Why is it that almost every "cinematic" PS3 game keeps zooming in and out during big moments?  Is that supposed to be technically impressive? 

GOW3 takes it to an entirely different level.  One moment you're staring at Kratos' big ass and the next, Kratos is so far away that you can barely see what he's doing. 

It's completely jarring and I wish there is an option that lets you stick with one camera view. 

Cravis

« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
Is the first level the same as in demo?
Nope. That's a bit farther in to the game plus at that point in the game you don't have the weapons you had in the demo just yet.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
The Hades fight was kinda gross :x
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »
Also this doesn't have custom soundtracks wtf
Boo

Bebpo

« Reply #216 on: March 17, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
Is the first level the same as in demo?

Nah.  The first level in GoW3 is like the first level of GoW2...real zomg stuff.  I guess they didn't want to reveal it and lose the impact, hence why the demo is just a standard fare section from later on.
otoh, if the first level of the real game was the demo, I think it would have sold more copies.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
1st level was kinda meh for me, mostly because of that part where Kratos has to fight that horse creature from a hanging position.  The controls + camera angle made it hard to move Kratos around but I guess the devs knew that since all you have to do is keep tapping attack.  It just wasn't a very fun section to play.  Luckily, the Poseidon fight is not far behind and really picks things up. 

Brehvolution

« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »
1st level was kinda meh for me, mostly because of that part where Kratos has to fight that horse creature from a hanging position.  The controls + camera angle made it hard to move Kratos around but I guess the devs knew that since all you have to do is keep tapping attack.  It just wasn't a very fun section to play.  Luckily, the Poseidon fight is not far behind and really picks things up. 
I hated that part too.  :maf
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »
Did you guys beat it yet? It is a freaking God of War game, what's taking you so long.

Casuals
fat

Smooth Groove

« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
True.  Anyone that has a hard time beating a God of War game on the default difficulty should probably quit gaming. 

I'm just trying to get my money's worth.  Paying $60 for a game that I beat in one seating would feel pretty dumb. 

Bebpo

« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Did you guys beat it yet? It is a freaking God of War game, what's taking you so long.

Casuals

I'm almost at the 2nd boss I think!

;_;

These days a 10 hour game takes me 3-5 days.  At least I feel like I get my money's worth.

Brehvolution

« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
I hope to play at 11pm for an hour.

:gloomy sharing a TV :gloomy
©ZH

Bebpo

« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »
It's not like there are any other games to play for a while.  Resonance of Fate if you're into tri-ace rpgs and then...nothing until Splinter Cell next month I think?

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »
oh lawd, Hermes' lines are lulzy
jon

cool breeze

« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »
After the intro section the game gets really awesome and stays that way until you finish it.  Even just the things they put on screen to look pretty keep getting more and more outrageously good looking.

I think I liked it more than the past two games.  The combat system is better than past games, the pacing is better, and there are less annoying sections where smaller enemies stop you from doing a simple task like turning a crank.

One thing I really liked about the combat was
that all the weapons are on chains like the default blades.
[close]

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
It's not like there are any other games to play for a while.  Resonance of Fate if you're into tri-ace rpgs and then...nothing until Splinter Cell next month I think?
Sakura Wars, dode.
PS4

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
the cronos fight OMG.
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »

Casuals

It's around 8 to 9 hours on normal

Bebpo

« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »
After the intro section the game gets really awesome and stays that way until you finish it.  Even just the things they put on screen to look pretty keep getting more and more outrageously good looking.

I think I liked it more than the past two games.  The combat system is better than past games, the pacing is better, and there are less annoying sections where smaller enemies stop you from doing a simple task like turning a crank.

One thing I really liked about the combat was
that all the weapons are on chains like the default blades.
[close]

I dunno.  I'm still in Hades and it's been kinda okish besides the lovely visuals. 
I replayed the opening to show a friend and that level still blows me away.  I really liked the boss fight both visually and gameplay-wise.  Plus all the cool cinematic stuff.  Hades is kinda like Dante Inferno with 1000x better graphics.

cool breeze

« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »
I thought the open level/boss was a total snore.  The only thing I kinda liked about it, and this is only looking back, was
that they used/recreated God of War 2 combat just for that one sequence.  The rest of the game changes it up with the different items, item meter, new L1+Circle moves, etc.  I just like that they went through that effort to make it consistent.
[close]

wait, nvm, apparently
there is an item you can find that lets you use the Athena blades when you play through a second time.
[close]

oh shit, and there is one that
turns off all QTEs
[close]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:29:29 AM by swaggaz »

Brehvolution

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2010, 01:07:59 AM »
I just slaughtered Hades and sent Gaia packing. Though this Harpy shit is annoying me.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
Omg this stupid music game is owning me.  :( I gave up after 10 fails :(
©ZH

Smooth Groove

« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »
Zero, where you at? 

I'm almost done with Hades and so far, I've found GOW3 to be pretty boring.  It just feels too much like the previous 3 games.  It's kinda like the feeling that many people get with the PS3 Ratchet games.  You can tell it's a good game but it just isn't that much fun to play.  I hope I feel differently after putting a couple more hours into GOW3 tonight. 

Brehvolution

« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:13 AM »
I killed hermes and am a little past that. There is a rock band like musical puzzle that is sure to infuriate you. I'm gonna sleep on it and try again this weekend.
©ZH

Smooth Groove

« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2010, 02:56:09 AM »
Jumping stinks in this game.  I don't know if it's the software or the Dualshock3's squishy analog buttons but I never seem to be able to jump right when I want to.  I can't count the number of times I fell into a pit or fail to jump over a boss's attack. 

Also, GOW3 uses double jumps, which I really hate.  Who the hell invented double jumping?  It's one of the dumbest things ever.  Not only is it counter-intuitive in terms of physics, it does nothing to improve on platforming games with just single jumps. 

Himu

« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »
Jumping stinks in this game.  I don't know if it's the software or the Dualshock3's squishy analog buttons but I never seem to be able to jump right when I want to.  I can't count the number of times I fell into a pit or fail to jump over a boss's attack. 

Also, GOW3 uses double jumps, which I really hate.  Who the hell invented double jumping?  It's one of the dumbest things ever.  Not only is it counter-intuitive in terms of physics, it does nothing to improve on platforming games with just single jumps. 

I like how in Jak games how useful double jump is but...that's about it.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57:45 AM »
I'm just after Hermes, time-wise I'm
4:30
[close]

What kind of surprised me was that:
I thought the game was going to be this epic game where you work your way up to zeus and take on each of the gods along the way.  Sort of like an MGS game with the other gods being the cobra team or whatever.

But then by like 50% through the game you've killed them all except Zeus?  Seems weird.  Like Apollo & Hermes weren't even big epic boss fights.  Only Hades/Poseidon really were.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »

Games use double jumping because it makes platforming easier since you can correct your jump in mid-air.

Brehvolution

« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Disemboweling a minotaur made my 6 year old say EEEWWWWW!

I didn't even know she was watching.  :-\
©ZH