Author Topic: God of War III - New info  (Read 28630 times)

cool breeze

Re: God of War III - New info
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
Also, GOW3 uses double jumps, which I really hate.  Who the hell invented double jumping?  It's one of the dumbest things ever.  Not only is it counter-intuitive in terms of physics, it does nothing to improve on platforming games with just single jumps. 

Games use double jumping because it makes platforming easier since you can correct your jump in mid-air.

Mario Sunshine had cool double jump because it wasn't really double jump, it was just different backpacks to chance the the water spraying function.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
The first level of the game is usually the most worked on in a normal development schedule. Considering how technically complex that entire level was, I'm sure it was tweaked all the way up until the final milestone. The demo was the E3 build so they really didn't have much time in the final 6 to 10 months of development to even consider polishing the first level for public consumption. I would say they did the right thing but most likely it was the only option they had.

It depends on the team and whether or not demo production was reasonably calculated in the project, but putting together a demo while you're rushing to meet deadlines is very hard work. E3 demos are usually special case and the team is working directly for the publisher so I'm sure Santa Monica had plenty of time to prepare an E3 build.

God of War games have always had "first level-itis" to me....as in, the first levels blew me the fuck away and the rest kinda dragged.     

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
the zeus boss battle is bad. not fun. tedious.
making you replay the entire battle if you die after it changes phases is terrible design. serves no purpose other than frustrating the gamer.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »
Yeah, my biggest beef with the game (well tied for biggest with terrible framerate) is that for a game that is HARD, having you sit through 10 seconds on loading, 0-60 seconds of running back to where you died and then 10-20 seconds of unskippable cutscenes each time you die is bad design and annoying for players.  The loading is especially shitty if it's like a boss fight or something where NOTHING IS DIFFERENT from the second you died, why load for so long.  Compared to Bayonetta, which is an extremely user-friendly game; this one is not.

I mean otherwise I love the game.  But those two things are enough that even if I thought it was a 10, I'd take a point off for them.

Also, not really surprised since Zeus fight sucked in GoW2 as well.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:14:43 AM by Bebpo »

Green Shinobi

« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
I might have to get another PS3 for this.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
spoiler:

this entire series has been an advertisement for Obama.
nat

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
The level design in this game is right up there with the first game, and much better than the second. The Cronos fight is one of the coolest levels I've ever seen, and there is just enough backtracking (much like the first game) that it makes the entire game cohesive. The second game was much more like, go to point A then point B to point C, etc. with no cohesive reason or recurring environments that tied it all together.

Anyways, I am on the shitty Zeuss fight. Other than this one and the scorpion (which was shitty because sometimes it wouldn't recognize when I was hitting the legs  :-\), the boss fights have been good.

also,

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it doesn't make any sense why Kratos feels attachment to Pandora. They had an opportunity to make it seem like Kratos was confusing her with his daughter, but they didn't. Instead we are supposed to believe that Kratos has a conscience all of a sudden  >:(
[close]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:37:21 AM by Kestastrophe »
jon

cool breeze

« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
The level design in this game is right up there with the first game, and much better than the second. The Cronos fight is one of the coolest levels I've ever seen, and there is just enough backtracking (much like the first game) that it makes the entire game cohesive. The second game was much more like, go to point A then point B to point C, etc. with no cohesive reason or recurring environments that tied it all together.

Anyways, I am on the shitty Zeuss fight. Other than this one and the scorpion (which was shitty because sometimes it wouldn't recognize when I was hitting the legs  :-\), the boss fights have been good.

also,

it doesn't make any sense why Kratos feels attachment to Pandora. They had an opportunity to make it seem like Kratos was confusing her with his daughter, but they didn't. Instead we are supposed to believe that Kratos has a conscience all of a sudden  >:(
[close]

I mostly agree with this.  That's pretty much why I didn't like GoW2 as much as the first.  GoW2 was good but it was constantly ramping up, focused more on fighting bosses that felt more like sub-bosses/stronger enemies with a pattern, etc.  GoW1 and 3 have a bit of that Metroid feeling, even if it is just superficial.

as for that story part
it was probably just because he associated Pandora with his daughter.  The PSP game is all about how Kratos had to choose between his daughter and his goal, and there is a gameplay sequence where you have to shove her away.  But there are so many plot holes and who cares it's about Kratos killing everyone.
[close]

also, what fight are you guys talking about?
the Zeus fights on normal were really easy.  The 2D one was great, I thought, and all about the counters.  The next one was easy too since hitting the heart gave you health orbs.
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
I felt they were tedious overall and boring compared to any of the other boss battles in the game.

I have to play through again but based on my initial first impressions, GOW2 > GOW3=GOW1
nat

Kestastrophe

« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »
Okay, I beat it. The Zeuss fight actually isn't bad. I think I died a total of 10 times throughout the entire game on normal difficulty. Easiest game in the series by far. The game was just the right length, never overstaying its welcome. I much prefer the easy endboss fight in this game, as opposed to the shitfest in GoW 2 and the not fun Ares fight in the original.

As far as feeling like Metroid, I agree with that. I was thinking that it felt more like a Zelda game, getting newer items and weapons that unlocked areas in environments that you had already visited. Pretty cool
jon

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
Alright, I finally threw this in my PS3 and I'm fucking peeing my pants.  This shit is AWESOME.
Tacos

Bebpo

« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
Okay, I beat it. The Zeuss fight actually isn't bad. I think I died a total of 10 times throughout the entire game on normal difficulty. Easiest game in the series by far. The game was just the right length, never overstaying its welcome. I much prefer the easy endboss fight in this game, as opposed to the shitfest in GoW 2 and the not fun Ares fight in the original.

As far as feeling like Metroid, I agree with that. I was thinking that it felt more like a Zelda game, getting newer items and weapons that unlocked areas in environments that you had already visited. Pretty cool

I disagree 5000%

I'm at the Gardens and so far I have about 20 total deaths, which is more than GoW1 & 2 combined.  About half of those were from INSTA-DEATH QTEs though mainly during Cronos (which basically ruined that section for me.  It was like SoTC if SoTC was bogged down by shitty insta-death qtes every 20 seconds).  I am finding the combat normal after about halfway in the game, and easy after you get the fists, but those first 2-3 hours or so where you had limited moves and tiny life/magic bar were the hardest combat in the series IMO.  At the start of Hades when you have to pass those 3 endurance trials, the 3rd one was fuck hard with how limited you were.  I had to upgrade my bow to lvl.2 and run around spamming it to avoid the dual minotaurs & birds trapping me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2010, 08:17:48 PM »
Maybe you're just on a lower tier of gaming ability...
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
...and was in the high tier of gaming ability for GoW1/2?

/demi troll attempt failed like always

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
I never argued that at all, haha. Thanks for proving my point...

Might I suggest "casual" Splinter Cell Conviction?
fat

Kestastrophe

« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
Maybe you're just on a lower tier of gaming ability...
Yup. The QTEs are more intuitive and forgiving that in the previous two games. Perhaps you need to go back and play the previous two games Bebpo. I just replayed them last weekend, so I played the entire series from beginning to end in less than two weeks back to back. GOWIII is by far the easiest game in the series. There are no difficult platforming sections, and you have newer and better moves while the enemies have alot of the same attack patterns (best example of this that I can think of is the guys that go underground and spin like razors. They used to be a bitch, but now you can use L1 + O to grab them out of the ground). Game is ridiculously easy, Demi right again, Bebpowned, etc.
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »
I just played the collection a month or two ago and the games were easy!  Especially GoW2!  wth

I think the combat is the hardest of the 3.  You have more enemies attacking you at once and the enemies actually attack nonstop instead of just standing around like meatbags in GoW2.  The big enemies are also faster and do more damage while taking less.  The minotaurs rush at you and instead of just running straight they turn and home in on you.  And if you get hit once you get juggled forever.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
I agree with all of that, but I think the new moves and weapons are much better. Also, the number of enemies is mitigated by the grapple plough move that you do when you run around, as well as the cestus heavy attack. The R2 attacks are also more effective than magic in the previous games.

jon

Bebpo

« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Yeah, I think when you get more moves, the game gets a lot easier and I'd agree after you have a wide variety of attacks it's the easiest of the 3.  But I just feel that at the start, around Hades through Apollo the game was pretty hard due to your limited moveset and small life/magic bars. 

My problem with the qtes are mainly throwing in qtes when you don't expect a qte, aka. not the qte fatalities.  I'm watching a cutscene and then it's like SWING HALF-CIRCLE OR DIE and I grab the controller and by that time I'm dead.  Or the hey, it's a cutscene OH WAIT SLIDE REALLY FAST NOW OR DIE.  Cronos had a bunch of that.  I'd rather have cutscene qtes just deal damage if you miss them.  Getting game overs is just kinda lame as you get it the next time but it breaks up the pacing with dragons lair-ish cheap deaths.

Bebpo

« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »
Why does a big budget game like this have unskippable cutscenes?
The only games that should have unskippable cutscenes these days are the low budget shitty games with all the shitty problems of bad games.

Going to make the game much less fun to replay :\

Bebpo

« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2010, 03:45:16 AM »
I think I'm almooost at the end now.  What a great ride it's been.  It's one of the first games in a while where I really wish it wouldn't end.  I think I'll give a few weeks/months breather after I finish it and run back through GoW1->2->3 again to experience it all over again.

and spike room is the new razor wall.  The game asked me if I wanted to drop to easy ;_;  casual gamer indeed.  Fricken spikes come up while I'm QTE-ing a baddy, goddamnit.  Don't grab that bird too early, goddamnit.  Don't get knocked back into the spikes, goddamnit.  >_<  At @ 40 deaths now.  I'm guessing Zeus will add a few to that number.

Anyways, started playing - about 3 hours through. Game has some amazing set pieces but i think i'm suffering Kratos fatigue. The whole angry got-to-kill-everyone thing is so fucking boring now that i'm rolling my eyes every 5 minutes. As a character, he's really outstayed his welcome at this point.

Kratos is a terrible character, but I'm sure the dev team knows this and is pumping up the anger up x100 to make it as silly as possible.  It's the reason why the GoW games don't offend me at all.  It's so ridiculous it's hard not to laugh at it.  I mean you are playing as the angriest man in the world.  And this game especially with the repercussions from his quest for vengeance just make it even more  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »
I think it has to do with the ever changing framerate because I notice it too here and there.  The game is unfortunately a bit unresponsive.  Make sure to tap it right away.  I think it might just be that the first jump is really low so you hit the "too low to start 2nd jump" height extremely quick.

GoW3 remake on PS4 plz

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:28 AM »
also, is it just my controller or is the double jump a little flakey?

I mean, sometimes it seems pretty hit and miss as to whether it happens or not - been driving me nuts.

Luckily it's not just you and me that are having problems.  If it were only the two of us, people would probably think that we're just being fud-spreading Xfags.  In the most recent RebelFM podcast, those guys were having the same problems with the double jump. 

I was trying to play GOW3 in front of my friends yesterday but gave up after several embarrassing falls into the pits.  I don't think it has anything to do with framerate as the double jumps aren't responsive even during areas that are running smoothly.  The devs fucked up majorly.  How could such a glaring problem be missed for a game this big? 

Kestastrophe

« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
I hadn't noticed the double jump, but the icarus wings didn't work for me sometimes (probably the same input problem).
jon

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
i've been playing GOW1 via the collection recently and I'm up to the Poseidon's Challenge portion and FUCK. i remember having such a terrible time getting past this. basically you fight fire shooting three headed dogs. it's one at first but it's little spawns will grow to full size if you're not quick (which you never are). so you basically have to fight up to seven of these things.
plus the little spawns have unblockable attacks and they swarm you.

been stuck on this for three days
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
i've been playing GOW1 via the collection recently and I'm up to the Poseidon's Challenge portion and FUCK. i remember having such a terrible time getting past this. basically you fight fire shooting three headed dogs. it's one at first but it's little spawns will grow to full size if you're not quick (which you never are). so you basically have to fight up to seven of these things.
plus the little spawns have unblockable attacks and they swarm you.

been stuck on this for three days

I think this is where duckroll got stuck too.  When you do beat it, let me know if you have any tips I can pass on to him.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »
apparently you can also grapple the pups and they will give you health too.

whats funny is that the only part in GOW3 that gave me trouble was when you have to fight the three headed firedog and the double sided axe goats. fucking firedogs.
nat

dark1x

« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

I mean, sometimes it seems pretty hit and miss as to whether it happens or not - been driving me nuts.

Luckily it's not just you and me that are having problems.  If it were only the two of us, people would probably think that we're just being fud-spreading Xfags.  In the most recent RebelFM podcast, those guys were having the same problems with the double jump. 

I was trying to play GOW3 in front of my friends yesterday but gave up after several embarrassing falls into the pits.  I don't think it has anything to do with framerate as the double jumps aren't responsive even during areas that are running smoothly.  The devs fucked up majorly.  How could such a glaring problem be missed for a game this big? 
Yep, drives me crazy.  It just seems to fail at random.  I've fallen down so many random pits as a result of this issue.  Not game ruining by any means, but it definitely shouldn't be present.  Would be nice to see a patch address this.

TripleA

« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »

It's not your controller.

Bebpo

« Reply #269 on: March 23, 2010, 02:55:02 AM »
Beat it.  Boss was probably the easiest boss fight in an action game.  With L1 golden fleece countering and replenshing HP you are pretty much invincible.  Considering that the end 10% of the game is FUCK HARD endurance matches with no life refills and long battles you have to survive, the end boss being such a joke doesn't make much sense. 

Honestly I'm kind of letdown by the last 10% of the game.  Which is a shame because I really dug the first 90%.

Kratos becoming a softie girly character was SO LAME

All I wanted was for Kratos to get Pandora up to the box, grab her from the back and push her into the fire when she is not expecting it.  Get his pandora power, fuck Zeus up, then watch the entire world explode into darkness and a giant THE END sign.  Boom, GoTY

But instead once you get to the top, Kratos stops being the ANGRIEST MAN IN THE WORLD and decides to become human.  A little late in the franchise to do this!  Then lots of exposition with the usual terrible dialogue, except now the game is taking itself seriously and its just bad.  Then Kratos gets to find HOPE and give HOPE BACK TO THE PEOPLE and shitty Athena last minute twist as well and then abrupt ending death.  Basically everything after you got Pandora up to the box was terrible and did everything it could to destroy the LOL KRATOS LOL story that had been running and been extremely entertaining in a lol way.
[close]

GoW3 was definitely the prettiest of the series and the level designs and puzzles/combat were always fun.  But I think GoW2 is still the best in the series though by a good margin.  It felt bigger and ended on a stronger note.  I'd put GoW1 around a 7.5, GoW2 around a 9 and GoW3 around an 8.5

whats funny is that the only part in GOW3 that gave me trouble was when you have to fight the three headed firedog and the double sided axe goats. fucking firedogs.

YES.  FUCKING HARD FIGHT.  I HATE THOSE SCIMATAR GOATS. 

Not only was this the hardest fight in the game.  But after it THERE IS NO FULL LIFE GREEN BOX.  And then when you're breaking heads you have to fight another 2 of those goats at the 3rd head.  I had ONE HIT UNTIL I WAS DEAD and everytime I died I'd restart the checkpoint with 1 hit until I was dead and I had to beat those 2 fucks.  ARGHHHH.  This section of the game was definitely patience testing.  Hardest part in all 3 games imo. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »
nah, haven't played since sunday
nat

Kestastrophe

« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
But I think GoW2 is still the best in the series though by a good margin.  It felt bigger and ended on a stronger note.  I'd put GoW1 around a 7.5, GoW2 around a 9 and GoW3 around an 8.5

smh

GoW2 is an incoherent mess, making you jump from level to level without cohesive environments and pacing. The original game was a masterpiece, the way they tied several "levels" together into one seamless area in pandora's temple. Plus the story, which was minimalist in the first, was the best in the series and honestly could have done without the sequels. Instead, GoW2 is exposition laden and full of angry Kratos (and the voice acting is the worst in this game). Whatever floats your boat I guess  :-\
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #272 on: March 23, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
Levels/Puzzles/Bosses/Story in GoW2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GoW1

The only thing I will give GoW1 is that the enemies are more vicous and so the combat is a better challenge.  GoW1 has awful puzzles.  Most involving box pushing.  GoW1 has boring locations, desert yawn, pandora temple, meh.  GoW1 has awful boss fights.  Hydra sucks, Ares sucks.  GoW2 has some amazing boss fights, the best stage design and locations of last generation (climbing the colossus, the horse statutes, flying with pegasus, etc...).  GoW1 was also about a dumb guy named Kratos and his personal story that you really can't care about because he is so dumb.  GoW2 was all about Greek mythology, going to fantastic places and fighting ancient heroes.

GoW3 has level design somewhere between the two, some great locations but not as many or as varied as 2, puzzles about on par with GoW2 but not as many puzzles as GoW2, combat is the best of the series, boss fights are better than 1 but worse than 2, and story is better than 1 but worse than 2.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #273 on: March 23, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
Despite GOW2 having a more intricate plot, the story is superior in GOW1 because Kratos is still a somewhat sympathetic character.  In GOW2, he starts becoming a raging distinguished mentally-challenged fellow that only gives a shit about his revenge.  It's like, stfu already about your sad past, you're not the only one that's ever been screwed. 

Bebpo

« Reply #274 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »
Borys, it's not like I'm in the minority of gamers in thinking GoW2 is >>> GoW1.  Just check the GoW collection thread at gaf.  Out of the 100s of people who played both for the first time back to back, I'd say 8 out of 10 people found GoW2 superior. 

When I first played GoW1 back in the day, after beating it I thought it was just another average action game that didn't hold a candle to DMC or Shinobi.  Then I played GoW2 and it blew me away.  The visuals, the EPIC scope, the incredible locations, the trip through greek mythos, the fun puzzles, lots of great boss fights.  GoW2 is where the series really made it's mark imo. 

Despite GOW2 having a more intricate plot, the story is superior in GOW1 because Kratos is still a somewhat sympathetic character.  In GOW2, he starts becoming a raging distinguished mentally-challenged fellow that only gives a shit about his revenge.  It's like, stfu already about your sad past, you're not the only one that's ever been screwed. 

Kratos was never a sympathetic character from day 1.  In the very first level of GoW1 you kill the boat captain for no reason besides being a total asshole.  Kratos is an unlikable jerk but that's the whole point.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:28:52 PM by Bebpo »

Smooth Groove

« Reply #275 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
Kratos was never a sympathetic character from day 1.  In the very first level of GoW1 you kill the boat captain for no reason besides being a total asshole.  Kratos is an unlikable jerk but that's the whole point.

In GOW1, Kratos wasn't likable but it was still possible to sympathize with his loss and relate a little to his anger.  He wasn't whining so much about "poor ol' me" and there was a hint of regret about his past actions. 

Kestastrophe

« Reply #276 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
GoW2 has some amazing boss fights, the best stage design and locations of last generation
We're going to have to agree to disagree. The colossus level (while cool) and the horse level are only superficially large in scope, which is the same as Pandora's temple in the first game. Yes, it takes place on a titan's back, but it doesn't matter from a gameplay or any kind of interactive perspective. It merely serves as a cool backdrop. Where Pandora's temple does shine is that while progressing through (which is the meat of the entire game), you keep unlocking new areas located in the temple while having to backtrack through the same main hub area, which creates a much more cohesive experience than the ADHD levels in GoW2.

:bow this man knows what I'm talkin bout. The first story is also better because it is more minimalist and much of the plot is a mystery through the majority of the game. While not in the same league, the brand of storytelling is similar to Half-Life 2 or Portal. The game doesn't go into great details to explain why things are the way they are, instead they offer well placed bits of narrative scattered throughout the campaign. The story in GoW2, which much more detailed and intricate, is overshadowed by "raging distinguished mentally-challenged fellow" Kratos. The titans versus Gods stuff is cool, and revealing the narrator to be Gaia was a cool twist. Still not as good a story as the original game

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:58:27 PM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with connected hub games.  On one hand it gives this really great feeling of the world actually existing.  Things make logical sense and everything feels right in place.  It also feels very rewarding to consistently find new things in old areas with new abilities. 

Otoh, I feel most of the time it takes away from level variety.  Since everything has to connect, you lose the ability to have radically different locations that have nothing to do with each other. 

I think I like both equally.  I like going to distant locations one after another.  I loved MGS4 concept of each act taking place in a different part of the world.  But then MGS1/2's structure of being all one gigantic connected base worked great as well.  GoW3/GoW1 take after the central connected world concept and GoW2 takes after the varied locations concept.  I think GoW's case I prefer the varied location style simply because in terms of exploring mythic locations, you got to see more places (too bad they never got Atlantis done in time for GoW2).

Smooth Groove

« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Just beat this yesterday.  The last opponent was surprisingly easy.  I had more problems with Cerberus.  All I had to do with the final boss was to keep using the grab during the side scrolling segment and to stand in front of the recharge booth in the 2nd segment.  The last part was a gimme, right?  I doubt anyone died in that final interactive segment. 

My final score is a 7/10.  Solid game but quite overrated.  I know GOW has always been more about the total experience than just gameplay but for GOW3, too much gameplay has been sacrificed for the sake of making the game more cinematic.  GOW 3 is a game that is very fun to watch but not so fun to play.  Skill in combat is often thrown out of the equation because the action is either obscure or the camera is too far away.  The controls are probably the laggiest they've ever been.  Luckily, the game doesn't require the player to do much other than to keep with the routine of evade, attack a couple of times, then repeat ad nauseum.  The combat just felt much less exciting than it looked, which admittedly, looked quite impressive.   I won't say much about the puzzles and platforming because they aren't why people play GOW.  The developers seemed to realize this as well as they obviously didn't spend much time to make those segments fun to play. 

In terms of presentation, GOW3 is sorta a mixed bag.  Some elements are stunning, like Kratos' flawless model, the scarily realistic fluids or the mind-blowing CG-like flight levels. However, other aspects seemed like they were barely upgraded from the PS2 versions.  For example, at least 1/2 of the NPCs and most of the basic textures looked like they could have been done on the PS2.  The first level was by far the best looking part of the whole game, which was a real shame because it was truly stunning for a console game.  Uncharted 2 remains the benchmark for what could be graphically done on crap console hardware. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
Smooth, you played Bayonetta?  That one has really solid gameplay even if the characters and enemies all look ridiculous.
PS4

Smooth Groove

« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54:49 PM »
Nope, but I got the superior version of Bayonetta when I picked up FF13.  I won't play Bayonetta immediately since I like to switch genres between games but I have high hopes for it.  How challenging is it, compared to normal difficulty in DMC4? 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »
Someone else would have to answer that...I've only played the DMC4 demo and I don't know if that reflects actual regular gameplay in DMC4.

The Bayonetta demo was easy but the game ramps up the difficulty consistently as you progress.  Dunno if the DMC4 demo is the same deal.
PS4

Bebpo

« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »
Nope, but I got the superior version of Bayonetta when I picked up FF13.  I won't play Bayonetta immediately since I like to switch genres between games but I have high hopes for it.  How challenging is it, compared to normal difficulty in DMC4? 

Bayonetta normal = DMC4 normal = GoW3 normal imo.  I think I died more times in GoW3 than Bayo or DMC normal modes.  But then again, Bayo & DMC have real combat engines so it's fairly easy not to die.

Bayo & DMC4 really shine on hard mode where there's actually a good challenge.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2010, 12:24:17 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I can feel safe about opening Bayonetta now.  I was a little worried that it was going to be 1st edition DMC3 hard since everyone says it's such a hardcore action game.  While I can handle that kinda difficulty, I'd rather not as I don't really have that much gaming time nowadays. 

DMC4 is a little bit harder than GOW3, imo.  GOW3 is mostly about figuring out the right strategy but quick reflexes are really needed for some of the boss fights in DMC4. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2010, 03:43:02 AM »
Couple of questions about the unlockable stuff.  I wanna check them out before moving on to the next game. 

How do you use the treasures that were found in the previous game?  About the promotional code, I entered the gamestop code for the phantom costume in the website and it got activated.  Am I supposed to wait for an email for another code that I can enter into the PS3?  Why does Sony make such a simple process so complicated?

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
FINALLY received the goddamn copy. Had to email amazon and everything.

I don't man, why am i supposed to be excited at the beginning? It's a waste of an amazing sequence, it's like the initial Transformers 2 sequence. It doesn't click, because there's no build up.

You are supposed to feel amazed just because you are supposed to, because you saw those videos. I finished God Of war 2 2 or 3 years ago, you can't just cut to action like this.

Terrible.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
FINALLY received the goddamn copy. Had to email amazon and everything.

I don't man, why am i supposed to be excited at the beginning? It's a waste of an amazing sequence, it's like the initial Transformers 2 sequence. It doesn't click, because there's no build up.

You are supposed to feel amazed just because you are supposed to, because you saw those videos. I finished God Of war 2 2 or 3 years ago, you can't just cut to action like this.

Terrible.

I think this is your problem right here.

If i recall gow 3 continues right after gow 2 so i guess that's where the build up was. With you playing the last game so long ago it was lost on you.

IMO anyways.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »
Enjoy that intro.  I was being completely serious when I said it's the best looking segment in the whole game. 

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
Holy fuck this game is amazing.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I died a lot of times during the first fight. Didn't expect that.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »
So did anyone also get a pre-order code?  How long did it take to get an email from Sony once the code was activated?

It's been 3 days since activation and I still haven't gotten anything from Sony. 

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
XFE's get delayed codes.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »
what a boring ending.

cool breeze

« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Is it true that you could only use one code per psn account?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
XFE's get delayed codes.

Silly Sfag, there's only 1 XFE and his name is dcharlie.  

Smooth Groove

« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
Swaggaz, hook me up with the Phantom costume code.  Sony, inept as usual, still hasn't send me the code. 

Kestastrophe

« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
what a boring ending.
yeah, it was pretty terrible. I liked the overall game though
jon

Smooth Groove

« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Me three.  I didn't really buy that Kratos had a shred of goodness left in him. 

Bebpo

« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
Yeah, I hate the ending.  Series went out on a whimper.
Still better than the MGS4 franchise ending.  Holy crap that was bad.

Most game franchise stories don't end very well :(  But at least games are more about the enjoyment during the ride than the actual story outcome.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Well, at least we know now that MGS4 wasn't the final chapter in that franchise.  I still have hopes that Snake can be saved or cloned.  Hopefully, we won't have Johnny or Raiden as the next protagonist in MGS. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
:bow Metal Gear Rising :bow2
PS4