Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3054654 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #23700 on: February 04, 2020, 04:09:47 AM »
This news is honestly so depressing to me.  :(

The fact that Platinum is e-begging to port W101 while their generic Bayoclones are what keeps the lights on doesn't actually incentivize them to actually do anything new. In 2013 they released both Rising and W101, two very different approaches to an action game, but here they are in 2020 endlessly going back to the Bayo design well for Transformers/Astral Chain/Granblue/ninja turtles/endless Bayo sequels for their big chinese money games. And yet nobody at the studio can put aside the scratch to do a simple port of a classic. Save me kamiya. :'(

I see no one on Twitter or elsewhere asking for anything Vanquish  :goty2 :dayum

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23701 on: February 04, 2020, 06:12:19 AM »
Redbox is stepping out of the game rentals business
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23702 on: February 04, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Now make a kickstarter for Fatal Frame 5. Switch in handheld mode is pretty much perfect for the game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23703 on: February 04, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
Is "e-begging" the right term to use for Platinum here?  The Kickstarter is already over $1 million after less than a day, holy shit.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23705 on: February 04, 2020, 07:31:00 AM »
https://gonintendo.com/stories/354146-nintendo-s-late-president-hiroshi-yamauchi-said-n64-lost-to-ps1-d

Back in the days of the Playstation, many thought Nintendo would easily trounce the newcomer. That ended up being about as incorrect a prediction as possible, as the PS1 became an absolute juggernaut. The platform's wealth of third party content helped make PS1 a success, but Mr. Yamauchi felt there was another reason for Sony's impressive gaming debut.

According to Yamauchi, the PS1 beat N64 because Japanese gamers "[like] to be alone in their rooms and play depressing games." Obviously, Yamauchi had a very short-sighted and negative response to the battle with Playstation, most likely due to being embarrassed by how things played out.

:lol
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #23706 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
That story us like a billion years old  ;)
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #23708 on: February 04, 2020, 07:58:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1224579016738213888
Was that Kojima sipping that drink behind Kamiya and quickly moved off camera?  :thinking

he be like "Hey.. just keep watching the numbers...."
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"you're welcome"   :kermit
[close]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:04:47 AM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23709 on: February 04, 2020, 08:03:06 AM »
Was that Kojima sipping that drink behind Kamiya and quickly moved off camera?  :thinking

No, that was just some dude.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Couldn't find a clip of Jackie Chan saying the same thing back to Chris Tucker, so here's the Rush Hour 3 "Who's on first" routine instead.

[close]
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #23710 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »

The fact that Platinum is e-begging to port W101 while their generic Bayoclones are what keeps the lights on doesn't actually incentivize them to actually do anything new. In 2013 they released both Rising and W101, two very different approaches to an action game, but here they are in 2020 endlessly going back to the Bayo design well for Transformers/Astral Chain/Granblue/ninja turtles/endless Bayo sequels for their big chinese money games. And yet nobody at the studio can put aside the scratch to do a simple port of a classic. Save me kamiya. :'(

Imo, Tmnt is an anarchy reigns clone, not Bayonetta. Korra or whatever that nickolodeon animu was is a bayo clone though

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23711 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Rush Hour  :rejoice
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23712 on: February 04, 2020, 01:07:49 PM »

They've banked $1.2 million in less than 24 hours, I think they're gonna be okay, breh.
dog

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #23713 on: February 04, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23714 on: February 04, 2020, 05:40:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1224815344642088960

Rockstar  :brazilcry
RIP R*games.  :'(

RDR2 was their swan song and best game, at least.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #23715 on: February 04, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
Rockstar has made my favorite games for the past three gens  :fbm

RDR2 is my favorite game this gen. Max Payne 3/GTA IV/GTAV and expansions last gen. The PS2 era of GTA was unbelievably good. Manhunt and Bully were awesome.

Ubisoft will never fill that hole, nor will Sony/Microsoft. The only other open world game that competes is Breath of the Wild, maybe Witcher 3.

OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23716 on: February 04, 2020, 06:20:32 PM »
I don't think he's been "lead writer" for quite some time on the games?  He also hasn't "produced" the games in a while, meaning he's not actually the person in charge of the game's production.... likely just the money man contributing because he likes it.
According to Lazlo, he wrote most of GTAV's main script (i think it was either in one of those O&A or Joe Rogan interviews) and a lot of RDR2, either way, his and his brother's authorial presence has always been there, because all R* games share a very strong DNA in common (for better or worse, maybe now that he's gone, they'll fix the slow ass controls).
TBH i doubt they'll keep to the 1 game every 10 years credo, which to me was partly due to their boneheaded obsession with world building details (since it's what they always ramble about in interviews), that made their games unique.

But yeah, of course we'll see how the next game will turn out.
I'd lie if i said i wasn't shocked by the news though, i would've never guessed a R* games without the Houser brothers (Dan in particular, since he was the main creative force of the two).

Coffee Dog

« Reply #23717 on: February 04, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »
I don't think he's been "lead writer" for quite some time on the games?  He also hasn't "produced" the games in a while, meaning he's not actually the person in charge of the game's production.... likely just the money man contributing because he likes it.

Pretty sure he was lead writer on GTA V and Max Payne, and he co-wrote both Red Dead titles. That's all the company's output in a decade.

Svejk

« Reply #23718 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »
The Android Reicast emu had a major update. 
Now supports Save States!  :rejoice
Playing Grandia 2 in ultrawide now.  :rejoice

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23719 on: February 04, 2020, 11:15:17 PM »
I'd lie if i said i wasn't shocked by the news though, i would've never guessed a R* games without the Houser brothers (Dan in particular, since he was the main creative force of the two).
The third force, Leslie Benzies was with Rockstar North (DMA) since Space Station Silicon Valley, then GTA III through 2016 too. Those three didn't just produce one epic franchise but managed to create a nearly as successful spin-off. (Plus he also oversaw the two Manhunts.)

bluemax

« Reply #23720 on: February 05, 2020, 12:28:14 AM »
Does this mean Rockstar might finally make a game where every character isn't a massive tool?
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23721 on: February 05, 2020, 06:29:24 AM »
Does this mean Rockstar might finally make a game where every character isn't a massive tool?
Finally they'll conform and shit out an open world every 3 years like everybody else. :hitler

paprikastaude

« Reply #23722 on: February 05, 2020, 06:31:43 AM »
Maybe they finally can make an open world title with good gameplay?  :o

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23723 on: February 05, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »
Is the Yu-no visual novel worth getting if the only reason you are interested is because of the historical significance for the VN genre?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23724 on: February 05, 2020, 08:25:35 AM »
Signed up for the Geforce Now Founders Edition, for the 90 day free trial if I dont like it Ill just cancel before the first payment :)
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23725 on: February 05, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »
Finally they'll conform and shit out an open world every 3 years like everybody else. :hitler

God I hope not, their games are such a special thing
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23726 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23727 on: February 05, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
Geforce Now   :rejoice

CIV 6 on my phone  :lawd
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #23728 on: February 05, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #23729 on: February 05, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »
If anyone still cares some like seven and a half years later the NA Beta for PSO2 is happening via the insider app on Xbox One running from Friday night through all of Saturday this weekend. Optional full dual audio including a Quna concert on Saturday night. Apparently virtually every localizer worth a damn is involved with it. Full version (and Win10) sometime in 'Spring'.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23730 on: February 05, 2020, 12:49:33 PM »
No Vita no sale.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23731 on: February 05, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
Continuing the Xbox one’s legacy of Japanese support with years late ports!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23732 on: February 05, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
"Hey Rod, will you fix the HALO project for us?"  :existential

"No, I don't think I will"  :smug

https://twitter.com/GearsViking/status/1225198634112704512
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #23733 on: February 05, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
Continuing the Xbox one’s legacy of Japanese support with years late ports!

I'm glad Xbox doesn't have your pervy sex games on it. I bet your controllers smell like stale cum.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23734 on: February 05, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
I’m a very clean and hygienic person, it’s like my one perk.

And hey if we want to continue this narrative, hell it started on Xbox with Dead or Alive 3.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #23735 on: February 05, 2020, 10:51:34 PM »
I’m a very clean and hygienic person, it’s like my one perk.

And hey if we want to continue this narrative, hell it started on Xbox with Dead or Alive 3.
>started

>3

:confused
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23736 on: February 05, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
I was referring to myself and what I play. Because apparently I play nothing but anime tiddy games.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:21:13 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23737 on: February 06, 2020, 03:00:58 AM »
If anyone still cares some like seven and a half years later the NA Beta for PSO2 is happening via the insider app on Xbox One running from Friday night through all of Saturday this weekend. Optional full dual audio including a Quna concert on Saturday night. Apparently virtually every localizer worth a damn is involved with it. Full version (and Win10) sometime in 'Spring'.
The best feature of PSO (over PSO2) was early 2000's internet.
I remember the first time i talked with an American and a Japanese, both in my party, it felt beyond special.
Fast forward 20 years, even an MMO, i'd rather play in offline mode. 

The promise was betrayed!  :stahp

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #23738 on: February 06, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
I remember the first time i talked with an American and a Japanese, both in my party, it felt beyond special.

People were genuinely nice in that game.  It was common for people to give items, weapons, mags, etc. and no one would bail out on boss fights.  I don't think I saw shit talking ever.  And now I'm with you.  Unless it's with one of my real life friends or someone who's been on my friends list for a long time, I never play online now.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23739 on: February 06, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
FFXIV is the only online game left with nice people from what I can tell :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23740 on: February 06, 2020, 08:37:55 AM »

Supposed to be one of the boss themes in No More Heroes 3.

Edit: Going through the comments on the video. Seems DJ Abo is also coming back. (He did the Travis Strikes Again soundtrack.)
Fantastic news!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:42:57 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Svejk

« Reply #23741 on: February 06, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

People were genuinely nice in that game.  It was common for people to give items, weapons, mags, etc. and no one would bail out on boss fights.  I don't think I saw shit talking ever.  And now I'm with you.  Unless it's with one of my real life friends or someone who's been on my friends list for a long time, I never play online now.
I remember at one point (playing the DC Ver.1), I finally got a double light saber...  and talking with one chap, he asked to see what the item looked like on the ground... like a total airheaded dumbass, I did... and he snagged it.  I never felt so heartbroken and angry with myself...  I was with a group of 2 others and they were furious that the guy (or girl?) did that and and kept typing to give it back..  the guy laughed and did nothing, but stayed in the group.. never logged off...  I told the other folks, don't be mad at him, it was completely my fault and it's ok... I'll eventually get another one...  I continued to be nice and say it was ok... and after 15-20 minutes of telling him to keep it.. it's ok... he dropped it and gave it back to me!  I snagged it and logged the fuck out...   :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #23742 on: February 06, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #23743 on: February 06, 2020, 08:58:44 PM »
Am I really missing out if I've never played Link's Awakening? I've played every other zelda game before Train Simulator except for the oracle games.
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23744 on: February 06, 2020, 09:31:15 PM »
its my 2nd favorite after botw, so i'm pretty biased, but i really enjoy it as a fun side story with some cool things for a 2D level like side scrolling bits (better than zelda 2 so pls dont @ me)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23745 on: February 07, 2020, 06:00:17 AM »

I remember at one point (playing the DC Ver.1), I finally got a double light saber...  and talking with one chap, he asked to see what the item looked like on the ground... like a total airheaded dumbass, I did... and he snagged it.  I never felt so heartbroken and angry with myself...  I was with a group of 2 others and they were furious that the guy (or girl?) did that and and kept typing to give it back..  the guy laughed and did nothing, but stayed in the group.. never logged off...  I told the other folks, don't be mad at him, it was completely my fault and it's ok... I'll eventually get another one...  I continued to be nice and say it was ok... and after 15-20 minutes of telling him to keep it.. it's ok... he dropped it and gave it back to me!  I snagged it and logged the fuck out...   :lol
Towards the end period of V1 and V2 (before the gamecube port, anyway) i also remember a lot of PKs, people who'd erase you character, wipe your VMUs and similar shit.
Still better than playing online today, due to the general naiveté.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #23746 on: February 07, 2020, 06:45:45 AM »
 :whew

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23747 on: February 07, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
New vehicle in Horizon Chase:

:heh
ど助平

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #23748 on: February 07, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
its my 2nd favorite after botw, so i'm pretty biased, but i really enjoy it as a fun side story with some cool things for a 2D level like side scrolling bits (better than zelda 2 so pls dont @ me)
About halfway through this. It's pretty good - I'm enjoying this more than I enjoyed ALttP, actually. Glad they brought the 2D stuff back in Four Swords.
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23749 on: February 09, 2020, 10:01:17 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #23750 on: February 10, 2020, 12:05:32 AM »
Seiken Densetsu 3 is a game where in order to get your final class change (important because your stats hard cap before each class change) you have to get a random item drop from select enemies. Also this random item drop must then be used at an inn, in hopes that it transforms into the item you need, which you then have to take to a different location and sit through a short cutscene to change your class.

They liked this idea so much, that the best gear in the game also can only be obtained via random items, which have to be taken to an inn, in hopes that they convert into the item you need. And you can get dupes, which is pretty worthless except for money, which you probably don't need by this point from all the grinding you had to do to get the random drops.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23751 on: February 10, 2020, 04:17:26 AM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #23752 on: February 10, 2020, 07:14:46 AM »

Saw this game mentioned on ree, and it looks pretty badass :leon

Dark Souls X Dark Messiah :lawd

Will wait for the PS4 version, but it’s already out on Steam for like 15 bucks.
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23753 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23754 on: February 10, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
I cant wait for

" Infected survivor reviews Infection game X "
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23755 on: February 10, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
"Left 4 Dead 2 did nothing to prepare me for life in 2022. The Wuhan Boomers are much larger and more aggressive, for example, and I can't find pills anywhere."
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #23756 on: February 10, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »

Saw this game mentioned on ree, and it looks pretty badass :leon

Dark Souls X Dark Messiah :lawd

Will wait for the PS4 version, but it’s already out on Steam for like 15 bucks.

I’d kinda written this off as an Amid Evil copy, but this looks completely different. Wishlisted for sure.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #23757 on: February 10, 2020, 04:21:02 PM »
"Left 4 Dead 2 did nothing to prepare me for life in 2022. The Wuhan Boomers are much larger and more aggressive, for example, and I can't find pills anywhere."
the lost generation  :lawd

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23758 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1227048220821356544

game is currently $3 on xbl and like $5 at gamestop if anyone is interested

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23759 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:30 PM »
:bow CS3 :bow2