Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3123679 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #25620 on: July 13, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
Some price information on the PS5 is expected soon and a large Dutch retailer (more or less our Amazon) put up some launch games for pre-order today at 74,99 Euro.
PS4 games usually cost 59,99 Euro so that's quite an increase.

This could mean two things.
A) In Europe Sony is positioning PS5 as a 'premium' product next to the PS4 and will keep prices steep until the 'cross-gen' phase has passed.
B) Price increases for games offset the losses they'll take on selling the hardware below manufacturing costs
🤴

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #25621 on: July 13, 2020, 06:28:32 PM »
youtube.com/watch?v=fJiwn8iXqOI

the title on this one seemed a bit of a bait and switch. The video is a general overview of some early influential RPGs with very little in the way of discussion on the difference between how that influence manifested differently in Japan vs Everywhere Else

One interesting difference in the old school dungeon crawler space for instance is just how strictly Japanese DRPGs adhere to wizardry 5-esque design that elsewhere has been disregarded as unnecessary or bad like rolling for stats during character creation, abrasively punishing dungeon traps and encounter design, or map restrictions.

Also interesting is the general focus on breaking the combat systems. Hyakki Castle, Labyrinth of Refrain, Elminage Original, Stranger in Sword City are all games where most enemy encounters are pretty difficult, but the goal of the game is to build a party that trivializes them. You go from the enemies being way stronger than you, to you being way stronger than them. Bosses are also challenging in the way that they ask you to put together a party composition that essentially neutralizes whatever bullshit/gimmick the boss uses to stomp you if you are unprepared. These games feel like they stack the deck against you, but then leave the system agnostic enough that you build some way more fucked up shit as a reward for figuring how to play the systems right. The catharsis of being able to yell "well, how do you like it!?" at the monitor. Old Wizardry is like this too, but there it feels more like the games are poorly balanced, while these recent Japanese titles are very deliberate about it. Even relatively popular titles disgaea and Etrian Odyssey are similar.

This type of design is entirely different from the sort of old school Dungeon Crawlers made more recently in Europe or the USA: Legend of Grimrock, The Quest, Bards Tale 4, Might and Magic X, Operencia, Legend of Amberland, Aeon of Sand. The games all have what we would call "quality of life improvements" that remove a lot of the tedious and fucked up shit.

A similar thing I've noticed with how korean RPGs are famously grindy is that people who play the roguelike Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on the Korean server do way more 15-rune games (aka the most grindy way to play the game) compared to literally anywhere else (the game is built around 3-runes, and is balanced to minimize grinding as much as possible). Someone clever should do something interesting with all of this at some point imo.

/rant

PS: I was reminded of another youtube video essay on 'genre' in video games that I think is quite good:

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #25622 on: July 13, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
PS: I was reminded of another youtube video essay on 'genre' in video games that I think is quite good:

Mmm...I'll have to bookmark this for later perusal.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #25623 on: July 13, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
Phrasing it like that makes it sound you are going to masturbate to it,  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #25624 on: July 13, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »
No promises, but we'll see.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #25625 on: July 13, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
I watched that whole video, kinda wish I hadn't

spoiler (click to show/hide)
seemed kinda pointless in the end but I got to watch clips of a bunch of nostalgic games so I guess that's ok
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #25626 on: July 14, 2020, 01:17:31 AM »
I liked Watchdogs 2 because yeah San Francisco was a really charming location and honestly open world city games ala GTA3 have been lacking. I also found the lead pretty decent. But the combat gameplay became shitty as it went on as they clearly couldn't find the answer to the question of "well why are there guns here?".  The stealth sucked and the game did'nt really want you to kill people. So it all falls a part. I finished it almost solely because I thought it looked good on the Pro.

I have no interests in 3 because while London sounds cool, the no main protagonist sounds awful.
Yeah the only interesting and original idea of an open world game of this kind in the last 7 years sounds AWFUL.
Better have another videogame plot of Danny McChav searching revenge for his father, killed by NOT-Steve Jobs and his army of drones, for inventing a new taste of Mayo.  :doge
Well it is just my personal preference. But I like having a specific main character.

Not saying the game will be bad and I’d even say it has a high chance of being good as it does sound at least unique.

I’m just not personally interested.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #25627 on: July 14, 2020, 04:55:16 AM »

seemed kinda pointless in the end but I got to watch clips of a bunch of nostalgic games so I guess that's ok
[close]

watching a video essay on youtube is always a toss up between something potentially interesting or something like this

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #25628 on: July 14, 2020, 05:48:14 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #25629 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »

[close]

watching a video essay on youtube is always a toss up between something potentially interesting or something like this

Very informative video, ty.
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25630 on: July 14, 2020, 01:18:39 PM »
 :D That's a pretty good parody of Game Maker's Tool Kit. Though I like GMTK, but it's still funny like the one guy making fun of Smooth McGroove with his stupid Banjo Kazooie a cappella

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25631 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:33 PM »

ROADMAPS!!

Anyhow, not suitable for projects that ship before Late 2021, so you'll see the first UE5.0 games summer 2022 I suppose.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25632 on: July 14, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Neon Abyss is out today on all platforms:

2D roguelike-shooter with different characters.  A demo is available and it's worth checking out!
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25633 on: July 14, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
UE5 whatever this looks bloody fucking gorgeous

Coming to PC gamepass August 18th
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:55:54 PM by MMaRsu »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #25634 on: July 14, 2020, 04:20:37 PM »
Neon Abyss is out today on all platforms:

2D roguelike-shooter with different characters.  A demo is available and it's worth checking out!

Also free on game pass.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #25636 on: July 15, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25637 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
On one hand thats really stupid

on the other hand, I want it
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25638 on: July 15, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
I like how in that topic they discuss the content on the disk in detail.  :lol
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #25639 on: July 15, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
Is it because digital distribution isn’t as centralized or widespread in Europe that they still get PC physical releases? Or are the speeds not as efficient through out the various countries?

Pennywise

« Reply #25640 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »
Is it because digital distribution isn’t as centralized or widespread in Europe that they still get PC physical releases? Or are the speeds not as efficient through out the various countries?
Neither.
People just like to have a box.

There are certainly parts where the internet is shit, but overall physical media is still a thing.
I mean we've still got a shelf for PC games in every shop that sells games.

paprikastaude

« Reply #25641 on: July 15, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
They probably expect an userbase that doesn't use Steam or other gaming services.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #25642 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:02 PM »
They probably expect an userbase that doesn't use Steam or other gaming services.

Boomers
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #25643 on: July 16, 2020, 01:26:19 AM »
tradition:

Himu

« Reply #25644 on: July 16, 2020, 01:30:07 AM »
A few weeks ago I was playing N64 with the official N64 controller. I was playing a good game and played it a while. I think I hurt my thumb playing it. I can't even catch a baseball in my glove without my thumb hurting. After a few weeks the pain has subsided but it's still there in a way so I've pretty much laid off games because of it. Any remedies? Because fuck. I need to order a Hori N64 pad because that fucking N64 analog stick will fuck you up.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #25646 on: July 16, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »
tradition:
(Image removed from quote.)

I don’t think I ever owned a legally purchased game on floppy disks.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #25647 on: July 16, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
So I didn't realize that new Amnita Design game Creaks is already out/coming out until I just saw Edge gave it an 8/10. Cool. Looks like it's out on Apple Arcade as of last week and everywhere else on the 22nd.

Like their stuff.

paprikastaude

« Reply #25648 on: July 16, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »
Seems like Streaming will come to Gamepass in September with no upcost.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25649 on: July 17, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »

I know Gilhany will appreciate this

Too bad he wont win any games anymore now that he's been exposed
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #25651 on: July 17, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
The secret good ending is when you unlock the onlyfans account.

Raist

« Reply #25652 on: July 17, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »
Looks like he's not invincible after all.

https://twitter.com/StreamerBans/status/1284215340633907200

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #25653 on: July 17, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
:dsp
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25654 on: July 17, 2020, 05:41:11 PM »
Metal Jesus Rocks goes by "My Uncle that Works at Nintendo" from the Devolver Direct to pick up some AMIGA stuff with really cool covers and a 2001 SE Xbox

🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #25655 on: July 19, 2020, 08:33:14 AM »
I played those on Apple II.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25657 on: July 19, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
What

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #25658 on: July 20, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »
So I didn't realize that new Amnita Design game Creaks is already out/coming out until I just saw Edge gave it an 8/10. Cool. Looks like it's out on Apple Arcade as of last week and everywhere else on the 22nd.

Like their stuff.

I'm excited for this, but keep in mind that unlike all their previous games this is not a point and click adventure game. It is more of a puzzle platformer, seemingly in the vein of cinematic platformers like another world, inside, etc.

BisMarckie

« Reply #25659 on: July 20, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »
wrong thread

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25661 on: July 20, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25662 on: July 20, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »
Luca Ward (probably Italy's most famous voice actor, and voice of Sam Fisher) said a new Splinter Cell is coming next year.  :doge
Now it could be just "oldman doesn't get videogames and it's a mobile game" but he's been talking about an upcoming SC for a long while now, so i assume he's been doing quite a lot of voice work.

I would link the video, but it's not in English.

BisMarckie

« Reply #25663 on: July 20, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »
I can translate Cicero, I am probably able to handle an interview with a voice actor  ::)

Raist

« Reply #25664 on: July 20, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »

THey should have started selling spaceship jpgs.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25665 on: July 20, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
I can translate Cicero, I am probably able to handle an interview with a voice actor  ::)
If they upload the VOD on youtube i can link it, though most of the interview seemed to be him ranting about anti-vaxxers, while the interviewers tried to steer it back to videogames.  :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

kingv

« Reply #25667 on: July 21, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »
I guess he really is white

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25668 on: July 21, 2020, 10:45:37 PM »
We know rappers never truly retire. He can be all corny again whenever he feels like it. Or is there something in his contract that says "NO MAKEY MUZAK ANYMORE"?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25669 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
Fate/Extra, a formerly PSP-only RPG, is getting a remake.  No platforms announced yet.

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #25670 on: July 22, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
Fate/Extra, a formerly PSP-only RPG, is getting a remake.  No platforms announced yet.

I'll be willing to bet PS4/Switch/PC.
^_^

El Babua

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #25672 on: July 22, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
all the suikos will make for an easy gatcha template  :miyamoto

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #25673 on: July 22, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »
Time to report on the challenge of getting a Suikoden game greenlit. Challenge failed!
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25674 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/ReptileGames/status/1285953766861287424

Team Reptile brings you Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, 1 second per second of highly advanced funkstyle. In a world from the mind of Dion Koster, where self-styled crews are equipped with personal boostpacks, new heights of graffiti are reached. Start your own cypher and dance, paint, trick, face off with the cops and stake your claim to the extrusions and cavities of a sprawling metropolis in an alternate future set to the musical brainwaves of Hideki Naganuma.

Facts:
- In the game you can choose a character from your crew and explore the three-dimensional streets freely.
- Each stage is a neighborhood that represents one time of day.
- You can grind, slide, jump, trick and airdash to move around
- The goal is to get your name up, your name up on the wall. Every stage has many spots to find where you can paint graffiti.
- You will encounter a lot of weirdos.

FAQ:
- Will the game have online multiplayer?
The experience is focused on single-player, no further comment as of yet.

- When will the game be released?
Not this year, it's unlucky.

- Remember the future?
Nothing for nothing.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #25675 on: July 22, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
all the suikos will make for an easy gatcha template  :miyamoto

Yeah I'm super surprised Suikoden hasn't gotten a gatcha phone or castle building sim mobile game yet.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25676 on: July 22, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »

:larry
On the one hand, it looks amazing from a graphical standpoint.
On the other hand, it looks like they carried the shit gameplay ideas from Mafia 3 into this.

What gave the OG Mafia its vibe was the strong sense of groundedness, coming from vehicle handling and shooting, now i'm always down for shifting things around in a remake, but you should try to at least go in different interesting directions, not follow the 2010-action-game-for-dummy-guide with cover mechanics, red barrels, wall medikits and running&gunning... and what is that goofy HUD?
Makes it look dated despite being a remake.

I'm still gonna get it most likely, because the visual side of things is impressive and i still have very fond memories of the first Mafia, despite disliking the sequels.

Also WTF Paulie looks like a fucking creep in this.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25677 on: July 22, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »
Yes. The HUD is stupid. Makes zero gameplay sense and real sense to have red markers of your enemies there.

Though no problem with med kits. That was part of the first game. You had be be careful as one point blank shotty and you're dead. I loved the whole "crouch crouch crouch crouch and more crouch" mechanic of making sure you have better aim and also make yourself a smaller target.

This version definitely has to include some more old school options. And if it sucks, well the OG is still there.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25678 on: July 22, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »
My point about medkit was that if you wanted to change things, it would've been better to change them (or evolve them is a better term) in a direction where Mafia already stood out, which is being grounded and realistic.
Instead they seem to go into the opposite direction, turning it into a game filled with game-y tropes that just ruin immersion, and we got over (from a design standpoint) years ago.
Hopefully we'll be able to mod it, so we can create a minimal hud, hardcore mode.
But even the pace, if you look at a comparison with the original seems significantly sped up, so i think they're going for something fundamentally different (and closer to the Mafia 3 approach to action).

I mean i doubt they've kept all the nerd vehicle things that were in Mafia, like the clutch, the engine overheating, fuel, all that shit-- they're probably going for a more straight forward approach, which is a legitimate choice, but to me, it's risking of flattening the experience and just make it look, as i said, dated and generic.
Mafia can't really stand on its plot legs alone, because it's just your run of the mill Italian-American Mob story, it's the wrapping that made it stood out.

Also a side note about cover systems, because i think the industry solved this problem several years back at this point but some still ignore this.
Enough with the "sticky" cover, that has game developers find goofy ways (through HUD implementations) to show the player where they are and where they need to go.
Like do i need to press a button to stick to a cover? Do i need an on-screen arrow showing me i can turn the chest-high-wall corner? Games like this and The Division (or Gears i think still uses it) feel so clunky with this shit.
Last of Us 1 already had you just press the crouch button and when you were in the vicinity of a cover, the game would just treat it as if you were in cover, Tomb Raider reboot also did this, and since then, plenty of other games too, it's clearly a much better system.
Let the sticky cover die.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:43:25 PM by Don Rumata »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25679 on: July 22, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
OK but I love slamming into cover in Gears games. Powerful umph. But no, I don't think that every third person shooter should be aping that style. Totally agree with you that Mafia should handle cover differently. I hope that there is a more, and I hate to sound like a pompous ass of "I'm hardcore and not kashual...", less hand holdy option. Sort of like how you brought up The Last of Us. You can change the options to make it less hand holdy giving of info that your character wouldn't know naturally if you want.