Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018432 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #21000 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
NIS > XSEED
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21001 on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
NIS > XSEED

The Ys 8 translation was absolute trash. "Archaeozoic Big Hole" anyone? Trails is a game series that lives by its dialogue, you lose that you lose most of the appeal. NIS better not fuck this up.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21002 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Sounds like nitpicking. NISA does what XSEED don't.

Can't wait to play Trails 3 while you are typing FURIOUSLY over disdain over a videogame company

There's a reason Falcom working with NISA and not XSEED
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21003 on: January 17, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
NIS > XSEED

The Ys 8 translation was absolute trash. "Archaeozoic Big Hole" anyone? Trails is a game series that lives by its dialogue, you lose that you lose most of the appeal. NIS better not fuck this up.

They went back and completely redid the Ys 8 translation, for what it's worth.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21004 on: January 17, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »
What

kingv

« Reply #21005 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
why didn't sega just make their own version of the super fx chip?

They did! It was called the virtua something or another, I think.

Virtua racing used it... and maybe one other game.

Technically it was quite a bit better than the super fx chip.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21006 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
Sounds like nitpicking. NISA does what XSEED don't.

Can't wait to play Trails 3 while you are typing FURIOUSLY over disdain over a videogame company

There's a reason Falcom working with NISA and not XSEED

Well, I still am gonna begrudgingly buy it. And yeah it's called money :p
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21007 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »
Travis Strikes Again actually got better review scores than I was expecting. Hope the writing is at least decent, I don't trust the reviewers on writing in videogames.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #21008 on: January 17, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »

Sega Virtua Processor.  They were going to have it released separately as a lock-on ala Sonic and Knuckles but it was too expensive to make and was dropped.  The project eventually became the 32X IIRC.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21009 on: January 17, 2019, 12:50:51 PM »
A big puddle of WTF is guaranteed I think  :lol

I really don't know what kind of game it will be though
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21011 on: January 17, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »

Sega Virtua Processor.  They were going to have it released separately as a lock-on ala Sonic and Knuckles but it was too expensive to make and was dropped.  The project eventually became the 32X IIRC.
:doge

Shuri

« Reply #21012 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
MK2 32X is almost a perfect port, save for the smaller sprites. More sound effects than the saturn ports and the snes version, the speed is arcade perfect (snes feels slower). The AI is exactly like the ai in the arcade version, which can be pretty problematic. It will fuck you shit up constantly if you are not used to it.

But when it comes to gameplay, it's the best. I spent years of my teenage years on the snes port, and it was quite a shock to admit that the 32x was simply better.

Saturn version has the super big characters like the original arcade, but the loading times when performing a fatality are annoying. There are also strange issues like character names not being called, stuff like that. PSX has super weird loading issues where the game fully stops moving while it loads stuff. I need to find a copy to play on the real hardware but youtube vids are pretty bad.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21013 on: January 17, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
Saturn and PS1 also have loads on Shang Tsung.

The Mortal Kombat Kollection is an emulation of the arcade game, IIRC.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21014 on: January 18, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
lol how have I not seen this

grug like video

What

benjipwns

« Reply #21015 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
ouch rain :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #21016 on: January 18, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »

HD remake when?

Svejk

« Reply #21017 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
 :lol  Is that the flop of a sequel to Pit Fighter or something?  Never seent it before.

Wanna try it now actually.

benjipwns

« Reply #21018 on: January 18, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
It's not an actual sequel but it's definitely a spiritual sequel, with a bit more expanded levels, also you can shoot like a fireball if you build up enough MAGIC.

benjipwns

« Reply #21019 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
KLOV had a bigger readable version of the flyer:

"even car fenders" :lawd

"the 3-button control combines with the muscle power and defend buttons (that's 5 in all)" :rejoice

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #21020 on: January 18, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
It's more of a scrolling beat em up than Pit-Fighter.  As the world's biggest Pit-Fighter fan, GOTH was always kind of a holy grail to me, since I had only played it in the arcades once.  I got it to run on my SNES Classic and it's pretty shitty.  The hit collision is awful and the control scheme makes no sense.

It would probably be considered "problematic" today because the last boss is a F to M transperson or cross-dresser (can't remember which).

The characters were going to be in the Genesis only sequel Pit-Fighter II, which got fairly far in the production process (EGM had a 2 page article about it) but was canned.

Svejk

« Reply #21021 on: January 18, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »
"Hood Magic"? ....    Sounds about right.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21022 on: January 18, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
Whew, Brittany Avery is on board CS3. Maybe this won't be a dumpster fire after all.
^_^

« Reply #21023 on: January 18, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
They also gave the Sega CD a 8/9/9/9 like four months before it actually came out because CD'S PACKED FULL OF FMVS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE GAMING. The only games they had actually reviewed were Sewer Shark (7/9/6/6) and Night Trap (5/8/6/5) and the reviews complained about how bad the FMV was and how they were barely games. :lol

Well, unlike the Sega CD, the Sega 32X really pumps up the Genesis sounds and graphics levels. The first few releases are a real eye catchers and sure to make a big splash.

I'm one of the saps that bought the 32X on release.  Star Wars Arcade and Doom were actually "wow" games and some of the later releases like Virtua Fighter and Racing were really great for the time.  It also made the FMV CD games a lot better.  The video was a clearer and the window was bigger.  I liked Corpse Killer and Supreme Warrior quite a bit.  Slam City with Scottie Pippen not so much.

I got a 32X for Christmas the year it came out. The only games I ever owned for it were Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing but damn were they awesome.

NIS > XSEED

I remember very little about the first two other than school dungeons, giant robots, the big bad being in your class and awesome turn-based battles. I don't care who's behind it coming over as long as it's coming over. Bring on number three.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:37:44 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

benjipwns

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21025 on: January 19, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »
All I remember about the Cold Steel ganes is overly long dialogue sequences. So I care a little about who’s brining it over. Espically since NIS couldn’t handle the overly long and shitty dialogue of Ys.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #21027 on: January 19, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
GOTH.jpeg

HD remake when?

THIS is the bullshit I was thinking about in the final fight thread. :lol

As the world's biggest Pit-Fighter fan

I am not sure I have ever seen this opinion...is it just nostalgia on this one? I just remember that game being such a scam. it was popular, I kept trying it as figured I was missing something (and they had one in like every walmart) but it was total shit. it was made worse because pit fighter cabs were always the most consistently broken. there was this vicious cycle of it controlling like trash > people wilding on the buttons/sticks to trying to compensate or somehow make the game do what it should > inputs broken in addition to it being trash/waste of money.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:13:07 PM by Akala »

Bebpo

« Reply #21028 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
Random gaming thought I had on my morning walk today:

Are Demon/Dark/Bloodborne Souls...actually just 3d Igavanias?

Is that why I like them so much?  :omg

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21029 on: January 20, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
Not at all

Reminder that King's Field was a thing well before Igavania was a thing
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #21030 on: January 20, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »
I mean it doesn't have platforming or gaining new major abilities for progression. But Bloodborne/DS1 in particular has level design, exploration dynamics and level progression that has many similarities with Igavanias, Metroid Prime and old Resident Evil and it's one of the best of it too.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #21031 on: January 20, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21032 on: January 21, 2019, 10:32:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/djgeki/status/1087163936560955392

Reminds of something that happened to me in DOA5!
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21034 on: January 22, 2019, 04:54:00 AM »
Hotline Miami x John Woo? Count me in.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #21035 on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
GOTH.jpeg

HD remake when?

I am not sure I have ever seen this opinion...is it just nostalgia on this one? I just remember that game being such a scam. it was popular, I kept trying it as figured I was missing something (and they had one in like every walmart) but it was total shit. it was made worse because pit fighter cabs were always the most consistently broken. there was this vicious cycle of it controlling like trash > people wilding on the buttons/sticks to trying to compensate or somehow make the game do what it should > inputs broken in addition to it being trash/waste of money.

It's genuinely one of my favorite games, but I prefer the Genesis version.  The scaling on the arcade version gets annoying.

Svejk

« Reply #21036 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/741510/The_Hong_Kong_Massacre/
oh damn... didn't realize that's today.  Can't find a US PSN page though...

This was supposedly done by a two person studio.  Looks great!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:34:36 PM by Svejk »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21037 on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21038 on: January 22, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »
Quick thoughts on indie games at PAX South:

-Freedom Planet 2: only saw someone else playing, looked smoother than the first game
-Outer Wilds: Looked a bit like Subnautica and those kinds of games but with more emphasis on exploration/puzzle-solving
-Gestalt Vanguard: 16-bit action-platformer with quests, was pretty fun to play and looked great
-Nelo: Action game that switches between different perspectives [top-down twin stick shooter, over-the-shoulder third-person shooter, first person shooter], looked pretty fast and fun but might be light on content/variation
-The Last Epoch: Hack-and-slash action-RPG, didn't get to see much of it but it looks like has a lot of customization, combat seemed similar to Path of Exile
-Bee Simulator: You play as a bee, you do bee things. GOTY.
-Foundation: Settlers-type city builder/manager, was pretty fun but variation/content could be a problem
-Universim: Populous-style god game, was really polished and seemed content rich, definitely a game I will buy
-Boyfriend Dungeon: Action-RPG with dating sim elements. Your weapon is your boyfriend.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21039 on: January 24, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »
 :o

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21040 on: January 24, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
https://twinfinite.net/2019/01/dead-or-alive-6-censorship/

Afterward, we asked the developer to clarify the quote on the costume break feature and on whether it was really altered to appeal to a specific audience. Not only he denied that, but he also took the chance to completely debunk the rumors about censorship specific to the PS4 version.

“I never said that. The first thing I want to clarify is that nothing has been done specifically for female players. As a matter of fact, the female players I know would rather use sexy female characters in the game. The allegation that changes were made in consideration of the female audience is completely untrue.”

“There was also some mentioning of censorship from Sony, but I’d like to stress out again that there is no difference in content among all platform. Any rumors about censorship for Sony’s [platform] are not true. You know the franchise and you know me, so you probably knew that this was untrue, but people on social media read it and believed it, so it would be great if you could correct this.”

Lastly, Shimbori-san did admit that the team intentionally implemented the costume break feature with minimum settings for launch, but this has simply been done to make sure that stores won’t refuse to carry the game. That being said,the possibility that things will be changed after release does exist.

“That being said, it is a fact that costume damage has been reduced. If we had extensive damage to the costumes to the point that characters are almost nude, it would become really hard to sell the game in certain territories. [Dead or Alive] Xtreme 3 is a good example. We weren’t able to sell it in Europe and in America.”

[…] “Some stores will actually refuse to sell the game, and this is really a big issue sales-wise. This is why we started small, but there are options to adjust it in the future. For now, we’re sticking to the minimum to be able to safely sell the game.”

Asked specifically whether this means that the team might be able to push the costume break feature to more prominent levels after the game’s release, Shimbori-san confirmed that this is indeed the case.

So basically nothing is being toned-down like they initially said and they may end up turning up the lewdness post-release.  Koei acting like they were catering to SJWs and then doing nothing was brilliant and exactly how they handled DOA5.  :lol

:jgames
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21041 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
They even purposefully-hid some of the costumes from the game reveals and play tests.  :lol

https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1086747944286674944
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21042 on: January 24, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »
 :exxy :exxy :exxy
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21043 on: January 24, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Gamergate!  :rage :rage
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #21044 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:49 PM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #21045 on: January 24, 2019, 07:42:08 PM »
RE3 remake next year. Trust me, nephews.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #21046 on: January 24, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
GOTH.jpeg

HD remake when?

It's genuinely one of my favorite games, but I prefer the Genesis version.  The scaling on the arcade version gets annoying.
I loved me some Pit Fighter at the time (I was 12, fuck you) and never even new about this spiritual successor. :o
Electronic Gaming Monthly has a two-page preview of the planned sequel which the magazine claimed was more than 75% finished and would be released for Genesis in the 4th quarter of 1993. Kato, Buzz, and Ty were returning along with three new selectable fighters: Connor (Karate Champion), Tanya (Roller Queen), and Chief (Ex-bodyguard) — three of the playable characters that were ultimately featured in Atari's subsequent game, Guardians of the 'Hood. Pictures show two CPU fighters, Helga (level 1) and Jay-Jay (level 2).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:03:50 PM by Trent Dole »
Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #21047 on: January 25, 2019, 02:08:16 AM »
I'll look up that EGM preview, and see if I can come across any other contemporary coverage of this.

I should setup an "ask benji" page on the blog where people can ask for loser research/investigations like this. Or actual looking into games themselves. Kinda like Hardcore Gaming 101 does.

Speaking of which, I just checked and they have a short article on Guardians of the 'Hood, albeit not much new that hasn't been in this thread: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/guardians-of-the-hood/

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21048 on: January 25, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #21049 on: January 25, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
I'll look up that EGM preview, and see if I can come across any other contemporary coverage of this.

I should setup an "ask benji" page on the blog where people can ask for loser research/investigations like this. Or actual looking into games themselves. Kinda like Hardcore Gaming 101 does.

Speaking of which, I just checked and they have a short article on Guardians of the 'Hood, albeit not much new that hasn't been in this thread: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/guardians-of-the-hood/

This site has scans of the EGM article

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/10/11/pit-fighter-2-mdg-cancelled/

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21051 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21052 on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »

Just a typical day in Putin's Russia.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21053 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »
I really loved the wii remote(motion plus)-nunchuk combo. an improved version and a system with better graphical capabilities was all I wanted. instead we got wiiU  :-\. the joycons don't feel right and have me preferring pro controller  :( being able to use wiimote/nunchuk on switch is my dream  :drool

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21054 on: January 26, 2019, 08:07:39 PM »
Remember all the hoopla about Anthem being compared to Destiny.

Anthem is just like Destiny. It looks and plays pretty good actually but there's little variation in the gameplay. You fly to places, you shoot shit, you collect the loot, you move on.
It could get boring rather quick.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21056 on: January 27, 2019, 07:14:21 AM »

Anthem is just like Destiny. It looks and plays pretty good actually but there's little variation in the gameplay. You fly to places, you shoot shit, you collect the loot, you move on.

Could?
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21057 on: January 27, 2019, 07:24:49 AM »

Could?
We haven't seen all the parts of the game in this demo. There should be more story missions and hubs in the full release that could offer more variety but I have my doubts.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21058 on: January 27, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
You still do the same shit all the time to get new gear to get new missions to get new gear to get new missions to get new gear

Hard pass
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21059 on: January 27, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
You still do the same shit all the time to get new gear to get new missions to get new gear to get new missions to get new gear

Hard pass

That's basically any MMO or something like Monster Hunter. Basically just depends on whether the gaming loop is fun enough to sustain a game like that.