Author Topic: Game  (Read 10980 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: Dead Space 2
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
Are you PC folk smangin with a 360 controller or mouse/kb?
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
I cant believe that article blatantly spoils the first. lol

That is a bad article for sure.
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
Are you PC folk smangin with a 360 controller or mouse/kb?

360 controller.  I can't play that shit with a kb/mouse.
Tacos

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »
EA’s just announced Dead Space 2: Severed for PSN and XBL.The content is an “all-new digital download pack” which sees the main characters of Dead Space: Extraction, Gabe and Lexine, return in “two standalone chapters” in the game’s story. The player will control Gabe, who is a security guard on the Sprawl, as he tries to get himself and Lexine off it against “his own onslaught of Necromorphs”.It’ll run in parallel with that of the story of Issac Clarke.No price or timeline were given for its release. The info was mentioned in a press release published by EA to celebrate the main games release in the US today.Dead Space 2 releases today in the US and on Friday in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC. The PS3 version will feature Extraction, where the characters of Severed come from.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

Oh for fucks sake.  EA and their DRM BS. :piss2
Tacos

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
lol, love how its called Severed

(that's an Extraction spoiler)
fat

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
FedEx delivered my copy this morning, will check it out when I get home today.
野球

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
Just finished the first chapter and so far it's alright.  It's definitely more Dead Space but I'm not hooked like I was with the first game.  For me a lot of the mystery is gone so that just leaves you with blowing the shit out of necromorphs....a lot of necromorphs.  Like maxy said, it's kind of like Bioshock 2.  Too much familiar territory.  Still early though so things may change.
Tacos

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
afternoon chub for demi

[youtube=560,345]
SwRlBkXeLg4[/youtube]
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I cant view it YT is blocked here screenshots plz
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
Oh I know who it is, the Fallout Vegas guy. He is definitely yum. Will watch when I get home.
fat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
He's pretty (unintentionally?) funny, and disgusting.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
Man, the lighting in the game is pretty amazing.  Just like the first one.

Tacos

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
Dat belly. That guy is so cute.
fat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
Does the PC version support 16:9 aspect ratio?

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
I believe so.  I'm playing at 1900x1200 (16:10) at full screen.  It doesn't specifically say 16:9 but there's an option in the menu that will allow you to display a full image.
Tacos

Bebpo

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
Game won't work for me on my main PS3 account (JP account, JP system).

Says "connecting" and sits forever.

I'm guessing it has to connect to the EA USA store before you can launch the game because of whatever shitty EA DRM implement they're using and my JP account is looking for some EA JP site that doesn't exist.  Will test it with my US account when this 2 hour long installation of Extraction finishes on my PS3 :\  If it works on my US account it means I can either play online and not be able to use my friendslist/earn trophies for my main gamertag or I can unplug the internet?  And earn offline trophies in the SP on my main account but can't play online. 

Yay for EA being the first company to fuck up a game for people with out of region PS3s!

Then again maybe their server is just down and that's why it wasn't connecting.  Will test later.  Why does installing Extraction TAKE SO LONG on PS3 :(

cool breeze

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
Extraction came out on PSN too.  $15.  Demo is 3.5 gigs or something  :lol

I played it a bit on the Wii and didn't like it much

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
I was surprised Extraction came with my DS2.  I thought when it was announced it was part of the LE package so you pay more to get Extraction.

I pre-ordered this like a year ago when it was $49.95 on Amazon so kind of pleased I got DS2 + Extraction for that price.  Now if only the game will work online on my main account :\

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
I believe so.  I'm playing at 1900x1200 (16:10) at full screen.  It doesn't specifically say 16:9 but there's an option in the menu that will allow you to display a full image.

Sweet! So close to buying this on Steam.

Bebpo

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
Ok, redeeming the online pass on my US account and then going back to my main JP account made it work.  Good thing the pass is not by user but by system.

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
I was surprised Extraction came with my DS2.  I thought when it was announced it was part of the LE package so you pay more to get Extraction.

I pre-ordered this like a year ago when it was $49.95 on Amazon so kind of pleased I got DS2 + Extraction for that price.  Now if only the game will work online on my main account :\

Someone from EA said back in October that all versions of DS2 for the PS3 would be getting Extraction, but it wasn't conveyed all that well by everyone else. It's sort of like the the first pressing/limited edition version of Dante's Inferno for the PS3.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
I don't really know if I can ever play extraction on PS3 though.  The cursor moves so slow.  If I want to play it, I think I'd rather play it on my Wii.

/never buying Move.

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
My free Move setup from my parents is finally useful.

Still glad I didn't buy it, though.
野球

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
I don't really know if I can ever play extraction on PS3 though.  The cursor moves so slow.  If I want to play it, I think I'd rather play it on my Wii.

/never buying Move.

Maybe you should have gotten DS2 on the PC if you didn't care about extraction?  DS1 wasn't very demanding on the GPU and DS2 has pretty much the same graphics.  I'm pretty sure it'd run better on your rig than the consoles. 

cool breeze

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
For you guys who got Dead Space 2 on PC, did they fix the mouse controls.  I never played it myself, but there was apparently some issue with it, like bad lag or something.

Bebpo

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »

/never buying Move.

Maybe you should have gotten DS2 on the PC if you didn't care about extraction?  DS1 wasn't very demanding on the GPU and DS2 has pretty much the same graphics.  I'm pretty sure it'd run better on your rig than the consoles. 

DS is kind of a crappy looking game on all systems.  I'm assuming DS2 is the same.  It's a great game but it has this dark & dirty low-res look like Silent Hill a bit so I'd rather play it on PS3 with my good sound setup.  I play my PC games w/headphones and this is one of those games I want the 5.1 experience.

Bebpo

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
I've never seen a single pic of DS at 1080p that looks any better than X360/PS3 versions besides slightly sharper from higher internal rendering.

I mean I rebuy tons of games on PC when they're dirt cheap for the better graphics, but I never rebought DS for $6 because I never saw a screenshot that made me go "oh man, gotta double dip" like Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect, etc... do.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
For you guys who got Dead Space 2 on PC, did they fix the mouse controls.  I never played it myself, but there was apparently some issue with it, like bad lag or something.

I played a bit of DS1 last week and the mouse worked perfectly.  I think you just needed to apply the patch and then enable vsync through d3doverrider instead of in-game.  

Gamepad is probably still the better choice for this game.  No rumble and precise aim detract from the intensity.  

DS is kind of a crappy looking game on all systems.  I'm assuming DS2 is the same.  It's a great game but it has this dark & dirty low-res look like Silent Hill a bit so I'd rather play it on PS3 with my good sound setup.  I play my PC games w/headphones and this is one of those games I want the 5.1 experience.

Yeah, the graphics aren't great although it's nice that Nvidia finally got full MSAA working on DS1 instead of that crap adaptive AA that was meant for consoles.  

I played DS1 with my Westone earphones and found it much scarier than playing with surround speakers.  Playing games like this and Silent Hill with headphones is freaky because it sounds like the monsters are screaming right next to you.

I've never seen a single pic of DS at 1080p that looks any better than X360/PS3 versions besides slightly sharper from higher internal rendering.

I mean I rebuy tons of games on PC when they're dirt cheap for the better graphics, but I never rebought DS for $6 because I never saw a screenshot that made me go "oh man, gotta double dip" like Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect, etc... do.

The biggest difference for this game is that it can ran at 60 fps.  It makes a pretty big difference for an action game like this.  Everything just seems to move faster at 60fps. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:47:32 PM by Smooth Groove »

Bebpo

« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
Yeah, I mean I'm not saying the PC version isn't the best version in this case (and X360 is probably slightly better than PS3 like the first game).  Just that for me, PS3 works out the best this time around.  Plus I have friends/family with PS3s so I can lend it around after I play it.

Plus free Extraction is kind of cool, even though I dunno if I'll ever touch it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
Dead Space PC is garbage with a 360 pad. Big deadzones on both sticks.

mouse keyboard controls?
nat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
Dead Space PC is garbage with a 360 pad. Big deadzones on both sticks.

Dead Space 2 with the 360 pad feels just as responsive as the console versions so far.

And I finally got an armor upgrade.....
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
This game's a lot more stingy in that department than the first one.
Tacos

Smooth Groove

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
Couple of PC shots for Bebpo.  I guess the shadowing is probably better on the PC, especially with Ambient Occlusion on.  Textures and enemy models are still :yuck though.

Bebpo

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Yeah, that's the main thing that bugs me in the PC shots.  The textures look really really low-res and everything outside Issac's model is low poly.  It's understandable on consoles but on PC I expect sharp, nice and detailed things.

I love the game and I think it oozes with atmosphere and the dark look of the game hides lots of its defects, but it's clearly not a graphical showcase compared to some of the other show stoppers this gen.

PS.  Low res textures still being in games after the PS2 era ended is my biggest pet peeve in gaming in general.  The worst offenders are Japan.  So many PS3 games are like 50-70% PS2 resolution textures.  Bleh :(

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
As far as texture detail goes on the PC, it really depends on where you are in the game.  Like for example the Unitarian church - the texture work in that area is pretty damn good and it's leagues better than what you'd find on a console.  Obviously you don't pick that up in the shot that I posted 'cause I didn't want to spam the board with a 1900x1200 image but it's definitely not slacking in the texture department.
Tacos

Smooth Groove

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »
Blame the tiny amount of VRAM in consoles.  256 mb is not much to work with, even at 720p.  It's why so many console games have either 2XAA or none at all.  The 360 technically could use more than 256 mb but it's probably not much more than that since plenty of ram is still needed for other stuff.  

As far as texture detail goes on the PC, it really depends on where you are in the game.  Like for example the Unitarian church - the texture work in that area is pretty damn good and it's leagues better than what you'd find on a console.  Obviously you don't pick that up in the shot that I posted 'cause I didn't want to spam the board with a 1900x1200 image but it's definitely not slacking in the texture department.

Just use a thumbnail link with imageshack.  I posted 100 1920x1200 shots in my RE5 thread using that method. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
Where's Borys, btw?  He loved Dead Space 1.  Dude's been missing ever since he posted that embarrassingly racist pic. 

Robo

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
Yeah, this game is badass.  Minimalized backtracking compared to the first is definitely a plus, although the "trip lines" for scripted scenarios are a bit predictable.  At least the the doors aren't locked behind you the moment you step into a room, a la Singularity. 

The bro at Kmart gave me $20 off the game and the 1600pts card for free, prolly just cuz I have a pretty face.  Musta had that swagga turned up higher than usual.
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
Did you mention the deal, or did the point card ring up free?
fat

Robo

« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
It didn't ring up free, but the cashier knew about it and forced it through.
obo

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Just got this from gamefly :hyper

That was super fast. They sent me fist of the north star last week and I still don't have it. ???
BiSH

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
Up to chapter 7 now. The game has been amazing so far. The original was more dark. But this one has far more diverse environments and there's basically no backtracking.
Really love it. Will buy the superior PC version in the end.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
Dead Space Ignition is astonishingly terrible on every single level

I already want to hate Dead Space 2 for them forcing me play it to get that Hacker suit unlock
sup

Smooth Groove

« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
Giantbomb says that DS2 for the PC has much better graphics than the first game.  Is it true? 

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
Hmm, I'm in chapter 3 and I'm already not a fan of the setting in this game.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why is there a hotel and a night club and a shopping mall and shit?
[close]

I loved the isolated, derelict space ship setting in the first game. I don't like this new direction so far.

edit: Actually, most of the time the setting is similar to the first game. It's just that every once in a while you get to an area that just seems out of place.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:02:19 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Dead Space Extraction looks great and controls really well with the Move.  You don't even have to use the DS3/Navigator controller at all.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2011, 11:34:03 PM »
I'm still playing through the first and I have to take breaks every 15 minutes or so from nearly jumping out of my skin when the "terror" sound effects spike in my headphones

:lol At this rate I am never gonna get to play Dead Space 2
sup

Smooth Groove

« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
Switch to speakers if you found it too scary with headphones on.  It makes a huge difference.  When I was taking some caps yesterday,  it was really noticeable how much less intense the game is when I'm using speakers at low volumes instead of headphones.  I guess it's because Dead Space has really good sound processing for headphones so that it almost sounds like 5.1, except even more intimate. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:46:44 PM by Smooth Groove »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:22 PM »
i like it, it's just exhausting playing with every muscle clenched in anticipation of the next jump scare

i'm a sucker for jump scares, i used to fall for those gifs where they'd quickly flash a ghost or some shit every time :lol
sup

Smooth Groove

« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Did you try watching Jacob's Ladder?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
:( yes
sup

Smooth Groove

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
:lol

What is your maximum threshold of scariness in a horror movie?  Army of Darkness?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »
I can handle anything, I'm just very susceptible to jump or shock scares in movies (not that I'll quit watching them or anything).  So I guess I am the perfect audience for those tactics.  Gore, etc, has never bothered me a bit.  When I was younger I used to want to be a special effects makeup artist.
sup

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
I haven't found Dead Space 2 to be scary at all but then again it's kind of hard to find a videogame that I ever thought was scary.  I think the first Condemned and the Shalebridge Cradle section of Thief 3 were really the only two that actually creeped me out.  Well that's not entirely true, I also remember the first time I played Doom back in '93 being kind of scary for some reason or another.  I guess it was because it was just so different at the time.

I will admit though there was a moment in DS2 that made me jump a little.  It was when I was searching a room and all the sudden an alarm clock went off unexpectedly. It was just so loud and out of place that I thought it was coming from somewhere in my house.
Tacos

SantaC

« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
I haven't found Dead Space 2 to be scary at all but then again it's kind of hard to find a videogame that I ever thought was scary.  I think the first Condemned and the Shalebridge Cradle section of Thief 3 were really the only two that actually creeped me out.  Well that's not entirely true, I also remember the first time I played Doom back in '93 being kind of scary for some reason or another.  I guess it was because it was just so different at the time.

I will admit though there was a moment in DS2 that made me jump a little.  It was when I was searching a room and all the sudden an alarm clock went off unexpectedly. It was just so loud and out of place that I thought it was coming from somewhere in my house.

the crimson heads in Resident Evil Remake is the only thing that ever scared me. If you havent played that game...play it still looks stunning.

Robo

« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Jump scares are about as scary as a game can get, as far as I'm concerned, and this shit is loaded with them.  I think I'm also pretty susceptible to them.

If Eel thinks the first one is a bit much in that regard, unless he gets burnt out before starting DS2, oh boy...
obo

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
The first FEAR had a couple of jump scare for me. Fuck you Alma.  :maf
©ZH

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
I've got scared a few times. I'm not even done with chapter 1 yet and had to turn it off. I start profusely sweating :(
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
It is total goddamned bullshit that you have to dig into your inventory, select things like "air" and then select "use."  That shit should be completely automatic as long as you have it in your inventory.  Got all the way to the end of a section, then died trying to get to the FUCKING AIR CANISTER.  Now I have to replay the whole section.  Eat a bowl of dogshit, Dead Space.
sup