Currently on chapter 9,enemies have become turbo brutal
cat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Re: Dead Space 2
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
There is one new enemy that is particularly scary
the way it attacks and sounds...

You mean the kid necromorphs?  I had to laugh after blowing them away after running into them for the first time.  It just felt so wrong.
Tacos

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
Not them

But play on hardest difficulty,you won't be laughing
cat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
I don't think I'm ready for the hardest difficulty. From what I've read, it seems pretty damn hardcore.
Tacos

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »
Are there many places where you have to climb into a turret and shoot asteroids or whatever in Dead Space 2?  So far those have been my least favorite parts of DS1.

I'm on Chapter 8, so I don't have much further to go.  I'll probably wrap it up tonight.  I think I might play through Extraction next, and then move on to DS2.
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
I don't think I'm ready for the hardest difficulty. From what I've read, it seems pretty damn hardcore.

:limpwrist
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
Are there many places where you have to climb into a turret and shoot asteroids or whatever in Dead Space 2?  So far those have been my least favorite parts of DS1.

lol.

Yeah in an otherwise very good game, those bits were terrible agreed.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:21:18 AM by Stoney Mason »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
Are there many places where you have to climb into a turret and shoot asteroids or whatever in Dead Space 2?  So far those have been my least favorite parts of DS1.

None so far,currently at chapter 10

cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
awesome, thanks

the controls were just so sluggish during those bits, felt like i was dragging something around moreso than aiming a gun
sup

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
Zealot is pretty close to impossible difficulty in Dead Space 1. Kinda annoying in the sense that 90% of your deaths come from enemies coming out of nowhere and killing you in one hit, but overall not very challenging.

I read that Hardcore mode is the same as normal difficulty, except it has no checkpoints and only 3 saves.
BiSH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
yeah, i can't imagine torturing myself like that, especially with all the cheap environmental deaths

i must have died ten times on that part in DS1 where you have to break the tethers and place the beacon on the giant asteroid, before i finally figured out what i was doing wrong
sup

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
I think I read that Hardcore is Zealot but with the 3 save limit.
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
You just gotta space out the saves and learn the triggers.

You will die, you will start over, but it will pounded in your head so much you will do it like back of your hand.

If it's essentially replaying Zealot, playing on Zealot prepares you for the bottleneck areas.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
$10? Wowee
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
Yea right. You see the price for Pizzas? Ripoff...

I decided not to buy it anyway. Will just sit in line at Gamefly.
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
Zealot is pretty challenging,it gets much worse the more you progress,there are some bottleneck areas that are more like luck based
You are constantly low on ammo,health so you are forced to improvise...game allows you that

You die at bottlenecks because you are not exactly sure what to do,in other sections because you want to conserve ammo...you have like one second to think and then you are dead,so don't think
Just don't miss

Hardcore mode is doable,you would just have to space the saves properly...like demi said
and have a lots of free time
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:42:28 AM by maxy »
cat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
I want some HSMP screenshots from his beast computer.
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Are you starting on Zealot or did you do a new game+?
First time playing
Started on zealot,currently at chapter 10
cat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Why not? Get comfortable with Zealot, you're gonna be playing it anyway.
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »
I don't care much about achievements and usually play the game once or twice
and I like challenging games,so I basically always play on highest selectable difficulty

game kinda loses its charm when you play it second time around

I just adjust to the game difficulty and play
cat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
People have already beaten Hardcore and their playthrough only took like 6 hours. It's probably normal difficulty. Actually, my file is only at like 3 hours, so maybe not.

I'm only on chapter 7 on Zealot so I won't be able to see for myself until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:02:15 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
Someone on Gamefaqs says it's based on survivalist with zealot weapon/health pickups. Should be fun.

The elevator action achievement was a bit of a bitch too. Used all my rifle ammo just to get it. >:(
BiSH

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
wow turning SSAA on fucks this game up. I tried starting the game with 4x SSAA and the framerate is in the teens or below. 

However, turn SSAA off but max out everything in the game's settings and the framerate never dips below 100fps.

I wanna turn vsync on, but the framerate gets capped at 30 (consoles :piss2)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
wow turning SSAA on fucks this game up. I tried starting the game with 4x SSAA and the framerate is in the teens or below. 

However, turn SSAA off but max out everything in the game's settings and the framerate never dips below 100fps.

I wanna turn vsync on, but the framerate gets capped at 30 (consoles :piss2)

Try leaving Vsync off in the game and turning Vsync on with D3Doverrider instead.  DS1 had the same issue. 

Also, how are you turning SSAA on?  I don't think any modern game supports SSAA in game.  You usually have to use a tool like Nhancer to turn it on. 

Stick with MSAA if you can.  SSAA is way more stressful than MSAA.  At 4X SSAA, you're basically rendering at 4 times the resolution. 

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
running a 5870 so I force SSAA in Catalyst. Stuff like Mass Effect 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit look gorgeous and run pretty well but, like I said, Dead Space 2 is just...  :lol

edit: I wonder if I should override CCC's default options for the 5870 so I can enable MLAA, I hear Dead Space 2 runs pretty well with it turned on.

Anyway, just got up to Ch3 in this and I must say I'm impressed. Game just oozes atmosphere. The lighting, shadows, smoke effects; game just feels so damned polished. Also... every game should now use a lens flare effect :drool

Also, if you have a choice, play this on the PC. Looks so damn good, and runs like butter.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:56:58 PM by InfectedGib »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
Playing through this now. Up to chapter 3 and will probably knock off for the evening. Very enjoyable so far. Exactly what I expected so far.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
This game is better, but the first game was scarier. The DS2 intro was creepy as hell though.
I'm loving the graphics also. It uses some great flashy colors at times.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »
finished up dead space 1 last night

decent game, went on a bit too long in a lot of areas, i had become immune to the jump scares and was ready for it to be over by the end

it's an odd complaint, i know, but they could have cut a good two hours out of it and made the pacing better

sup

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
How long is Dead Space 1?  It's next up on my list because I want to try the sequel. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
How long is Dead Space 1?  It's next up on my list because I want to try the sequel. 

around 10 hours for me, i think
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
lol, I blazed throuhg Dead Space Ignition for the 200... yeah, that was abysmal.

BTW does the game start off the same way, with the nigra letting Isaac out? I'm guessig the nigra is a closet unitologist, by his AWE AND GLAMOR of the church.
fat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
I think the guy who lets you out is white in this game. I can't really remember, he doesn't make too many appearances.

Anyway, I'm up to chapter 13. Game's awesome so far. It's better than the first Dead Space in every way, and I really liked that game. I'll probably finish this up later tonight, then start a new game+ run to clean up missing achievements, and then I'll start my Hard Core playthrough tomorrow.
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
I loved seeing how the white bitch kept dying.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
i see the game has continued the wonderful dead space tradition of picking the  ammo of a gun i never use and giving it to me over and over and over
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
i see the game has continued the wonderful dead space tradition of picking the  ammo of a gun i never use and giving it to me over and over and over

Oh god does it do that? Its so noticable when you start buying the guns. That's why I only played with Plasma Cutter on my Impossible run.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
yeah, i get javelin ammo 75% of the time

on the first game i just used the line cutter and the plasma gun, and kept a force gun around to deal with the swarms of little flesh creatures
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
yeah,focus on less guns as possible,i have only 2

game will still give you the wrong ammo sometimes but most of the time it gives you good ammo
cat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
I always carry around the contact beam.  Not because I ever use it but because you pick up ammo for it when you have it on you and you can sell it for 6k a pop.  It's like portable cash machine.

So I finished it yesterday and I really liked it but I think in the end I had a better time with DS1.  Even with the backtracking, I perfer the Ishimura over the Sprawl.  Ishimura felt like a real claustrophobic environment and all your tasks you had to do in the game made sense in context of what was going on, while quite a few times on the Sprawl I kind of lost the plot on why I was doing what I was doing.  I read somewhere someone comparing the Dead Space games and saying that Dead Space 1 was Alien while Dead Space 2 was Aliens.  That seems about right to me.
Tacos

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »
so far i like the first one better, too

there's a lot of trial and error stuff, which i find more irritating than fun - "hey, you slammed right into that piece of space debris!  look at you explode into a chunky shower of meat!  isn't that cool?  now try again!"

plus it isn't scary, not even a little bit, haven't jumped a single time

once you get desensitized to the wall of monsters they throw at you, you become immune to any shock moments when a single one drops down from the elevator or whatever

it's not a bad game, though
sup

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »
I find both games equally scary (ie. not at all) so I don't mind. Everything gameplay-related is improved in DS2. Game's awesome.

Gonna finish this right after I get some more of these infinite power nodes :rock
BiSH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The stuff with Strauss (or Stross, or whatever) is so unbelievably stupid I don't even know where to begin.  "Hey, there's this crazy dude, keeps making veiled threats and babbling to himself, been accused of killing his own family.  We should just let him run around free and have access to sharp tools."

That bitch would still have her eyeball if she'd, you know, just tied the motherfucker up and kept him away from the goddamned screwdrivers.
[close]
sup

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »
Finished. Game's amazing. Guaranteed to be one of the top 10 games of 2011.

:bow EA

Now to start new game+ and start cleaning up the achievements I missed.
BiSH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
Up to about Chapter 6. Still enjoying myself. It's different structurally of course from the first but I'm enjoying myself as much as I did in the first so far.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »
I still find it funny that Isaac can't cross over knee-high objects in this game. The bit where you have to cross a cafeteria through an adjacent corridor because Isaac can't climb over kiddie tables especially sticks out and is sorta frustrating and breaks immersion. It's a minor complaint to an otherwise tight experience, though.

Anyway, up to ch7 now
didn't really feel the unitologist Church area, kinda dragged. Fortunately things picked up soon after.
[close]

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
Damn, you can really blow through this game on new game+. I started on survivalist so I could see how much damage enemies do compared to zealot (huge difference) and I almost made it to chapter 7 in an hour and a half :lol

Got all the achievements I needed though. I think I'm gonna start my Hard Core run now and see how far I can get.

ffffffuuuuu your stats don't carry over on Hard Core. Guess I gotta keep playing my survivalist file so I can get the 'dismember 2500 limbs' and 'decompress 20 enemies' achievements. :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:12:04 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »
the ending was pretty silly

the story in this one didn't make a lot of sense, either - lots of gaps in logic, and the credibility got stretched hair thin towards the latter half of the game

plus, he's like the rocketeer in this one, flying around with those jet boots like he's some kind of daredevil stuntman

(spoilers for the first game below)

so, nicole keeps appearing to clarke (again) throughout dead space 2, and i was thinking to myself that these two must have really had a long and deep relationship for her death to fuck him up so bad over and above all the other craziness and deaths he'd seen

and then, during one cut scene, nicole says "i know we only dated for two years, but they were the best two years of my life - "

i had to pause the game and laugh

really?  two years? and you weren't even engaged or anything?  you were just dating?  and then you told her to go off on a spaceship for six months?  i mean, it obviously wasn't that serious if you wanted the chick off the planet, dude

someone involved in making these games has some serious ex-girlfriend issues

Unhearted: Clarke's Dead Girlfriend
[close]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:52:24 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2011, 01:01:21 AM »
i liked the trickle of mystery in the first one, knowing something huge was going down but not quite knowing how all the pieces fit together

the more it gets revealed and explained, the more ridiculous i find it
sup

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:33 AM »
I'm in chapter 9 of my hardcore playthrough and I'm getting tired... I haven't saved yet, so I'm gonna try to push to chapter 11 before I go to bed.

DS2 >>>> uncharted 1 & 2 combined btw

meh, stopped at chapter 10. Not gonna save until after chapter 12 now, and then once more toward the end of chapter 14. Gonna 1000/1000 this bitch tomorra. :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:19:51 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2011, 05:57:20 AM »
From UK

Superb horror shooter Dead Space 2 has landed squarely atop the UK all-formats top 40 chart.

Sales for the sequel are 70 per cent higher than for Dead Space 1.

Despite an alluring PS3 bundle - with Dead Space: Extraction thrown in for free - it was the Xbox 360 version with the lion's share of sales: 56 per cent. The PS3 commanded only 40 per cent (the PC filled the remaining 4 per cent).

DS2 :bow2
xbros  :bow2
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:38 AM »
Nice to see it get steady sales so the franchise will continue. Definitely one of my faves of this gen.

Robo

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Man, the ending is pretty 'tarded.  I hope everyone else is as terrible at playing this as I am so they didn't miss out on...

Isaac spiking a javelin through his own face.  It's maybe the single most gruesome thing in the game.
[close]
obo

Robo

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »
Yeah, they go on for far longer than they should.  I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I could tell what was happening during most of them.
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
Shit sounds awesome. Stop being a hater. Cant wait for the "Deaths of Dead Space 2" youtube.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
PSP for $80
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
Either 1 game, or 1 system that provides countless games... had to think with my wallet
fat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
From UK

DS2 :bow2
xbros  :bow2

Xbros don't have any other games to play.

Cravis

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
The first half was a lot scarier than the second half. The retro suit was not what I expected. That thing was bulky as hell and looked a lot like Big Daddy armor.

I loved... [Ending Spoilers]
When he's buckling up on the ship. I kept looking and thinking something would jump out ala his g/f in part 1. I then realized Isaac was doing the same thing. The chick gives him the strange look, asks "What's wrong?" and he replies, "Nothing."
[close]

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
It's interesting that in UK PS3 DS2 comes in only one version,the limited one...DS2+Extraction(move support),same cost as 360 version
M :-\ VE
cat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
Did you see the "plasma cutter"? :lol

Such a chinese piece of shit... lmfao
fat

Robo

« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
The retro suit was not what I expected. That thing was bulky as hell and looked a lot like Big Daddy armor.

I was surprised they decided that was an upgrade to the Security Suit.  Sure as hell didn't look like it.
obo