Author Topic: Game  (Read 10979 times)

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Re: Dead Space 2
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Yeah, the retro suit is straight out of Bioshock. Thankfully all you gotta do is buy the thing to get the inventory and armor benefits so you can go back to wearing the security armor without having to stomp around for a few chapters looking like a big daddy but I hated having to change back into the thing whenever I bought anything at the shop so I can get that 10% discount.  Pain in the ass.

The Riot suit is pretty bad ass looking imo.  I know it's just a black version of the Security armor but I like it in black.  Overall though, I like the idea of getting new suits for upgrades rather than the incremental plating from DS1 but I think they could've done a better job in designing the things.
Tacos

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »

:smug

Hard Core isn't very hard at all. The only time I died was right at the end, on the final stretch to the last boss, and that was because I was being careless since I just saved. But yeah, it's really not that hard.

Hard Core was more fun than Zealot though. On Zealot, I felt like 90% of my deaths were bullshit because some guy spawned behind me and killed me in one hit. On any other difficulty, that doesn't happen. You only lose a couple bars of health when you get smacked, so if you die it's your own fault for sucking. And the Foam Gun you unlock once you beat Hard Core is amazing. Insta-kills every enemy and blows off all of their limbs. Best fuckin' gun ever.

Amazing game though. It would be a shoe-in for GotY if it weren't for MvC3.
BiSH

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #242 on: February 01, 2011, 01:37:38 AM »
Up to about Chapter 9 now. I think its great. I play a few hours every evening and I think the pacing in the game is great. And I don't play enough in an evening where I burn myself out.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
My daily update. Up to Chapter 11  now. Game still rocking.

I'll probably finish this up maybe tomorrow if the last few chapters aren't crazy long.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »
Interesting tidbit from EA

Speaking at an investor call today, EA chief operating office John Schappert boasted that the sequel, released last week, "is approaching two million units sold in – double the sell through of the original Dead Space."
cat

Robo

« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »

i laffed
obo

Stoney Mason

« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
Finished it up at around 12 hours.

Very enjoyable. Good stuff. Really immersive. Very polished. Lots of fun call backs to the first game. This series basically does what the Alien movie franchise has almost never been able to do in videogame format. I was playing through the game to see what the next bit would be like or the next story point would be bring which is always a good sign as you kind of forgot you are playing a game.

As far as flaws not many. I think the combat gets a bit tedious as you go on. The monsters don't ramp up or vary enough. And the camera gets a bit wonky when multiple creatures are attacking you and you get pinned up against walls.

But overall I thought it looked great and just a really good experience. Will easily be one of the best games of the year.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:32:49 PM by Stoney Mason »

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
PS3 version showed up today. Want to play through the original and Extraction first though.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Unitology

:rofl

The Cult of Scientology is so going to sue EA.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
Amazon selling all versions for $40 today (PS3 one is sold out) and the CEs for $60.
CBG

« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:13 AM »
I'm on chapter 7. Wow. This game is fantastic, they really upped the production values from the first Dead Space.
野球

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »
God I fucking hate the necromorphs that split up into 4-5 spider skulls. The little fuckers are a pain in the ass to stomp and a PITA to kill with anything other than the flame gun

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2011, 02:18:09 AM »
The really tall guys? Just use the force gun, it annihilates them. It annihilates everything in fact. Best gun in the game.
BiSH

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
the only guns i got in the game are the cutter, rifle, and the javelin. spent all my other moneys on ammo and THE ADVANCED SUIT :ROCK

i'm nearing the end of the game. i really liked the little cut scene:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
where Isaac sends the chick away in the ship then sits down on the floor. really nice moment there.
[close]

game is surprisingly getting pretty badass nearing the end. expecting to get fucking hard in the final chapter or two. glad i got my ADVANCED SUIT. it's ADVANCED.
nat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2011, 02:29:51 AM »
Jesus christ I keep getting gangbanged by giant necromorphs in the scene where

I have to shoot the exploding tanks at the big container in the Fuel Mega Storage room.
[close]

What weapon should I be using on these guys, I know you have to hit the joints. What's really fucking frustrating is that I have like 8 power cores and nowhere to use them because the last Bench was gated about 45 minutes ago.

So far it's been fun but I really don't have time to retry the same room 20 times anymore

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2011, 03:40:34 AM »
I used plasma cutter,but i didn't bother much with them,maybe crippled them
Just use stasis and run

and
i think that you have two sources for tanks,so prepare two exploding tanks,fire one and run to another,use stasis,fire two...repeat
with little luck you should do it
[close]
cat

« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
Jesus christ I keep getting gangbanged by giant necromorphs in the scene where

I have to shoot the exploding tanks at the big container in the Fuel Mega Storage room.
[close]

What weapon should I be using on these guys, I know you have to hit the joints. What's really fucking frustrating is that I have like 8 power cores and nowhere to use them because the last Bench was gated about 45 minutes ago.

So far it's been fun but I really don't have time to retry the same room 20 times anymore

I didn't bother with the big fuckers, I'd kinesis throw the little tanks at the big capsule while running away from them in a circle.
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
Just finished the game up. played on survivalist and my time was just over 7 hours.

thumbs way up. from top to bottom it's a much more polished experience. The flow of the game is much better and rarely was annoying with the situations the game put me in.

I would say that it feels a little less polished going into the finale though. Both games get start to unravel at the end and Dead Space simply goes crazy with the amount of shit it throws at you at the end but the end boss battle is really great. Maybe I'm just not a big fan of gauntlets in general but:
Having the gameplay devolve into just running down a corridor to the end while tons of enemies spawn all around me is boring. Plus I wasn't really a fan of the devs recycling the regenerator concept especially because it's not really very threatening by the time they introduce it. You've already upgraded your shit so much that it goes down in a few seconds. In the first game they introduce one early on and it's truly frightening getting chased by it. Here it was just a minor nuisance. and as I mentioned earlier the last boss battle in DS is great while this one is a little lame. It wasn't really difficult when I realized that 4 javelin shots followed by an electric burst kills her real quick. I liked it from a thematic point of view - just not gameplay wise.
[close]

worst of all - i accidentally hit cancel when saving the game at the end so i had to redo it all from the last save in the game going into the boss. beyond frustrating.

i'm better at talking about negatives so don't get the wrong impression. i really loved the game all the way through. its a really great way to start 2011.

finally i just wanna add the while i do think the game is really tense thanks to the awesome sound design - i don't think the game is as inherently scary as the first game. Dead Space takes place on a desolate space ship and to me just the thought of being trapped in a space ship with danger everywhere is really fuckin scary whereas Dead Space 2 takes place on a giant space station and i dunno... doesnt frighten me as much.

going forward i hope they try to shake things up for Dead Space 3. It's gonna be a little weird having Isaac go to a 3rd place and OH SURPRISE! necromorphs are here too.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:09 AM »
It'll turn out that Isaac is The Chosen One, and this has all been ordained.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
the javelin is stupid amazing. fully upgraded the thing kills everything. the special makes it explode after you trigger it's alt. so you hit something with it and trigger the alt AND IT DIES. EVERY TIME.

the ELITE ADVANCED suit is supposed to be at the end of chapter 11 but the PC version if glitched and it isn't there. really lame. i'm using the riot security suit which has 25% armor but doesnt have any perks for weapons.

and i've pretty much come to the conclusion that Dead Space 3 will take place on Earth. I don't want it to take place on Earth but I think it will.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
the javelin strategy really does work quite well at the end. made it silly easy. the actual final boss took like 30 seconds.

edit:
i typed up some properly put together thoughts on the game:

As for the game. Mechanically and from a design point of view - Dead Space 2 is far more polished than it's predecessor. Some people may have rose tinted glasses or simply forgot, Dead Space is a clunky game. Especially if you try to play it now. I loaded it up yesterday (mostly just to establish a save and get the plasma cutter in DS2) and was shocked by how slow and cumbersome it played. Part of it is definitely by design but when you play DS2 and feel how silky smooth the controls are you instantly are turned off by how they are in the first game. From top to bottom DS2 cuts the uneeded fat off.

At their cores both games play basically the same but the structures holding each game up are obviously very different. In DS1 you literally had levels and they always ended with a train ride. Each chapter took place in a set location that you would explore and a lot of time is spent backtracking through previous locations to complete your tasks. In DS2 you're always driving forward and chapters come fluidly - basically there is  no hard stop once you finish your goal. Rarely do you ever stay in any one place for too long and there is virtually no backtracking to speak of.

Whether or not you feel this is a positive or a negative is a matter of taste and preference. For my own preferences - I think the design of the first game is better. I would have liked to see it refined instead of scrapped for a completely different take. That said I don't think Dead Space 2's structure is bad - far from it. As I said before Dead Space 2 is designed better and even though I prefer the setup of the first game I will admit the sequel is better put together. A lot of this reminds me of the transition between Mass Effect 1 > Mass Effect 2. This comparison even can be taken further since DS2 is a much more action packed game than the first.

Another entirely preferential point between DS1 and 2 are their locations and how they affect their horror elements. Going into DS1 I already had a level of tension building due to the fact that it takes place on a desolate space ship. For me the concept of being almost entirely alone and in constant danger in an isolated place is an inherently scary thing for me. It's the reason movies like Alien, The Thing, [REC], and The Descent are my favorite horror movies. So just being there raises the fear levels for me. From there DS1 did a fantastic job of setting the mood with audio and visual cues.

Dead Space 2 lacks that with me. One can argue that you're still mostly alone in an isolated location but the feel of the game doesnt portray that. Something about the chaos of the beginning of the game makes it seem like a disaster theme (which it is). The game still has the amazing scripted audio and visual cues throughout that do an incredible job of establishing tension but something about being on a giant space station doesn't do it for me like the first game did.

With all this being said I would place Dead Space 2 above the first game mostly thanks to it's improved mechanics alone. This game really is the high water mark when it comes to third person shooter survival horror. I am very glad this turned out so well and that EA allowed it to happen. I'm going to guess we'll see Dead Space 3 in 2013 to round out this generation of consoles and then see it rebooted in 2017!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:39:39 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:59 PM »
Final boss is pissing me off. :maf

I get how to defeat it, but my weapons must suck or something, cause it won't die and I keep getting gang raped by the little minion things.
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
if you have the javelin - use that. fire a few shots then activate the alt. also good to use on the shadow children as they die in one hit. so just fire to the ground then hit the alt.
nat

« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
Finally beat it. I have the Javelin gun, but I didn't upgrade it all the way. Still came in useful, though.
野球

« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »
The Severed DLC pack comes out next week. $6.99/560 MS Points.
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
bunch of stupid fucking bullshit not coming out on pc bullshit. fuck EA.
nat

Stoney Mason

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
Patch came out for the PC version that officially adds in all the weapon/armor DLC for free.

also fixed the elite advanced suit glitch.

guess this is their way of saying sorry for not giving us the Severed DLC  (still holding out hope that it will be released down the line)
nat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
Patch came out for the PC version that officially adds in all the weapon/armor DLC for free.

also fixed the elite advanced suit glitch.

guess this is their way of saying sorry for not giving us the Severed DLC  (still holding out hope that it will be released down the line)

They only added it because people found out they were already in the game, and used hacked save files to unlock them.

I guess this is their way of saving face. It's only when people found out about it that they're like, "Oh yeah, have some goodies for free."

Also, apparently, the reward for completing the Severed dlc, which is a suit, is also on our hard drives. But I don't know much about that.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I'll probably buy the Severed DLC when I get my GameFly copy... I'm jonesing for some survival horror.

Maybe I'll just buy the game instead at this rate.
fat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Dead Space is pretty far from survival horror though. It's even more of an action game than RE4 and RE5.
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
Sounds survival horror to me
fat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
"survival horror" was always a made up term up anyway.

The only real requirement for the term appears to be that you must have almost no ammo to fight the monsters in any game with that tag.

Dead Space 2 is probably closer to RE 5 in gameplay spirit if someone was to make that argument I guess.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
So we agree. Survival Horror.

Glad that is sorted out.
fat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
Alan Wake > Dead Space 2 imo

DS2 is a less interesting re-tread of the original with a hackneyed plot. Still fun, though, but AW is more atmospheric and had better locales.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Survival horror games tend to feature characters that AREN'T capable of mowing down wave after wave of infected alien zombies. Combat is simply not the focus. RE4 and its clones are just TPS with combat scenario after combat scenario.

and Alan Wake was bad (and also not survival horror).
BiSH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
Dead Space 2: Severed is out

560 MS points,1.43GB
cat

« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »
Downloading Severed currently...

RDR is getting shelved until I play this.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
Is Severed worth it? Gamefly just sent it... will probably get it if I'm strokin my dick to this game.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
All the guns in this game are garbage, just like the first one... guess you cant fix everything.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »
Ok I take that back, game got 70x more awesome.

Unlimited Supply Room "glitch"

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=290871

I've been stocking up on free goodies for the past half hour...

edit: Aw it only let me get a few trips then it stopped. Free items is good at least. At least I know what to do when I see a Power Node room now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:05:49 AM by demi »
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
All the guns in this game are garbage, just like the first one... guess you cant fix everything.

force gun/line cutter/plasma cutter/pulse rifle is all i ever used, same as the first game

everything else was try it once, shrug, and switch out at the next store
sup

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:18 AM »
the javelin gun's alt fire is great for getting rid of clustered necromorphs, especially when you unlock its grenade extension

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
I did the node glitch in the room at the end of the game. Didn't help much since, well, it was the end of the game, but it at least saved me another playthrough to max out my junk.

And pretty much all of the weapons are good. Some are better than others. Force Gun and Plasma Cutter are the top two without question, but all of the other guns are still pretty solid.
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
Dood what am I supposed to do in the elevator to the Solar Arrays? Theres like a zillion of those damn spider things. Do I just have to avoid them?

edit: NVM I got it... fuckin a that part was stupid
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:59:56 PM by demi »
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:07 PM »
I'm up to Chapter 10, on the Ishimura.

What's wrong with Dead Space 2:

- Too many war of attrition moments. SURVIVE SURVIVE SURVIVE - lame, fart

- Too many moments where monsters will magically appear behind you while you are backing away from an enemy. BARF, LAME

- Plasma Cutter nerfed

- Guns still shitty - a sniper rifle, really? lololol

It seems like they fixed the story/pacing, but have yet to fix the general gameplay.
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
Ok I take that back, game got 70x more awesome.

Unlimited Supply Room "glitch"

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=290871

I've been stocking up on free goodies for the past half hour...

edit: Aw it only let me get a few trips then it stopped. Free items is good at least. At least I know what to do when I see a Power Node room now.

Thanks for the tip brah. I was actually pretty stuck at that area, that glitch gave me enough firepower to rape the shit out of the final boss in .2 seconds and get some cheevos

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »

This game just went to shit force 5. Being chased by an immortal creator, with bunch of other creators after you. Amazing.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »
I think it's actually better than the first, but it's got its share of issues.
fat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »
it's better than the first game in every way. the only TPS this gen I'd put ahead of DS2 (from a gameplay perspective) are Vanquish, EDF 2017, and maybe Lost Planet 1.
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
Yeah I would never place it with those games.
fat

« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
So everybody agrees this game is a big pass like the first one was?  Thanks for saving me some cash.

I thought it was great. Not perfect, but a lot of fun.
野球

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
BiSH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Chapter 15 = completely ruins the game

Fuck this piece of shit game
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:08:41 PM by demi »
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
DS1 2nd half takes a steamy dump on this. Guess they couldnt fix everything.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

The Foam Finger is too funny. I love it.

BANG BANG PEW PEW
fat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »
I just finished the game, the ending was underwhelming but the game as a whole was so much better than the first in almost every way (I played them back to back). They didn't change or add much, but they improved on almost everything. This customer is pleased.
Unzip

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
Just played through the first two chapters of DS1.  So far, it's not really clicking with me.  I want to love it because the atmosphere and sound are so fantastic.  However the gameplay is so boring.  Maybe I should just move on the 2nd game and see if I like it any better. 

Does DS2 have better combat and less item finding tasks?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
The combat is roughly the same.

The 2nd has more of a linear progression from place A to B to C rather than existing on a single ship and visiting some of the places multiple times.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Even though DS2 may be more refined of the two, I still prefer DS1 over DS2 just because the atmosphere and story is so much better. 
Tacos