Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread  (Read 12538 times)

magus

• LIKES FF7
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
The bird stage sucked, fucking waggle minigames :(

Also don't like chili pepper Yoshi, the control is too imprecise, makes me feel like I'm playing a 3D Sonic. The second world wasn't as fun for me as the first, hope the 3rd one is better.

chili pepper yoshi rocks,and if you dislike chili pepper yoshi then i'm really curious about your toughts on rock mario
<----

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »
I'll never get the punkster comet in the first world. I really hate collecting those clocks.

cool breeze

« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
I thought the bird stuff was easy but I was already familiar with the controls and way you're expected to hold the controller from the Wii Sports Resort airplane game

Also don't like chili pepper Yoshi, the control is too imprecise, makes me feel like I'm playing a 3D Sonic. The second world wasn't as fun for me as the first, hope the 3rd one is better.

chili pepper yoshi rocks,and if you dislike chili pepper yoshi then i'm really curious about your toughts on rock mario

yeah, rock mario was a pain sometimes.  only power up or anything in the game that I didn't immediately understand.  I still not totally sure about the rules behind it.  Seems like you roll for a set amount of time or until you hit something.

Shino

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
I've just started the game and I'm already starting to get the level of enjoyment I got with the original!
I got all 120 stars on the first one and started playing with Luigi, but stopped after 10 or 11 stars with him.

Has anyone tried playing with Luigi?
Does he feel the same as the first one (little faster, slides more when stopping, jumps a little higher)?
SIG

cool breeze

« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
Luigi is optional now but he controls the same as he did in the first Galaxy.  The only time I needed to use him was one special star that was just short of Mario's jump, and trying again with Luigi, I was able to reach it.

Bebpo

« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »
magus, you didn't love magnificent magma sea?  I thought that was the best level in any of the 3d mario games.  The clockwork one was awesome as well.  Bowsers castle was great too.  I liked the blackbelt galaxy though I didn't give a shit about the throwback one because I barely remember mario64 at this point and the stage had zero nostalgia for me.

I agree with tiesto.

Platformers are supposed to be about precise, exact control so you can fairly attempt jumping challenges based on your skill alone.

For some reason Miyamoto and the Wii in general have decided gamers like not having precise control.  So we get motion controls, giant slide (which is the same level I played in sonic unleashed and only slightly better this time) and dash yoshi.  I think rock mario has decently precise controls if you're going in a straight line and know how to STOP it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:11:37 PM by Bebpo »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
clockwork one was awesome but the magma sea didn't involve much skill or had any particular interessing gimmick so it was meh...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:12:35 PM by magus »
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »
Avoiding magma monsters take skill!

...plus it looks awesome.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
lava hippos you ass!

Oblivion

« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
I haven't played the game yet, but it seems pretty disappointing.

lava hippos you ass!

:punch :punch :punch

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »
I haven't played the game yet, but it seems pretty disappointing.

read my mind.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »
nah... it is only disappointing if you are one of those tard who's actualy checking gamerankings to see if the game beats OOT,no wait in that case it wouldn't be disappointing either because you would go "OMG THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME :o" no matter what
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Working through the rest of the stars...
Some real tight level design.  Enjoyed the Tom's wall slow-mo climb. 

Spring Mario...why did they have to bring it back.  It wouldn't have been so bad except for the ONE CHECKPOINT.  The part with the line of chomps.  Ugh, shitty Spring controls were magnified 100% in that one checkpoint because it's do or die.  bounce, bounce, HOLD A WHEN YOU LAND, OH FUCK YOU GAME YOU DIDN'T CHARGE AND DID A REGULAR BOUNCE NOW I AM GOING TO HIT THE CHOMP, GET KNOCKED INTO THE LAVA AND LOSE ANOTHER LIFE.  Yeah.  I'd say that was the hardest checkpoint in the game for me, but I hate spring mario and I hate glitchy controls in do or die situations so yes I was raging until I passed that part.

The 2nd bird level...on one hand I kind of enjoy these levels even though I hate motion controls.  They feel like rogue squadron x pilotwings.  Has a good sense of speed and cool locations to fly through.  Otoh there are some glaring design flaws.  In this one, after you go through the initial three holes in the wall you are supposed to hang left as it spins the world.  Unfortunately this makes you COMPLETELY BLIND so you are flying blindy at a fast speed and then right on the spot where you come out of the left there are a bunch of poles and objects that will 1 hit kill you if you end up right in their face.  I didn't find the level or 2nd star race hard, but I basically had to retry retry retry retry until I got lucky and didn't come out of my blind spot with a pole in my face.  If I cleared that part everything after (and everything before it) was easy.  But yeah, NOT SEEING WHERE YOU ARE GOING IS A FUNDAMENTAL FLAW IN A GAME.

I also have had some control glitching where Mario doesn't do a Z+A long jump even though I press Z+A.  This often leads to RAGE on speed runs where I'm constantly trying to take shortcuts with long jumps and there are no checkpoints so like the speed comet in the giant galaxy at the end with the caterpillars, I get 90 seconds in at that last part with the spinning circle and catipillars and I'm trying to long jump each section and 1 out of every 4-5 times it doesn't long jump and I don't make the jump and die and speed run start from scratch again.  I wish 3d mario just had a HOLD Z to RUN and press A to long jump like 2d Marios.  Plus Mario could use the ability to run faster.

tl;dr I hate shitty controls.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:24:58 PM by Bebpo »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Bebo, the controls aren't the problem; you are.  I'm sorry to say that, but you're pretty much the only person I've encountered having such a terrible time with the controls.

edit: preemptive "doesn't count" for linking to a GAF post on the matter, cause lol gaf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:53:12 PM by BrandNew »
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
You're telling me that you never had a time with spring Mario where you held down A right when he landed and he didn't charge?  Because I had that happen a bunch of times.
Or you've never had times where you hit Z+A to jump and he doesn't do a long jump?

I've also had times (rarely) where he doesn't spin when I shake the controller (maybe I didn't shake hard enough) and so I end up running straight into an enemy and taking damage/getting knocked off a platform instead of killing them.  :\

It could be my wiimote...but it seems like some of the controls aren't accurate 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:59:10 PM by Bebpo »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
fuck, not preemptive enough

No, I never did have an issue with it.  It's all about patience with spring Mario, especially on that level.  When you're jumping the chomps, don't go straight towards them as fast as you can, you need to cut back after your second hop or so and position yourself for an easy jump over them.

Honestly, I have much more problems with Rock Mario, because I've never been able to do those types of powers well – Goron Link, for instance.
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
I know the strategy for that part.  My deaths were because you have to make 3-4 charged jumps in a row perfectly and I could only get the charge to work 3/4ths of the time and the checkpoint gives you zero leeway.  If you don't charge when you want to and do a normal bounce you are going in the lava.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »
I'm trying to remember which part that was...is there any video?

edit: I'll just play it again real quick
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I dunno, in most platformers I don't rage because I feel like if I die it's my fault.  I didn't jump at the right spot, or I didn't wait until the platforms lined up, etc...  a correctable mistake that I can improve on.
I only get angry when I die because what I want to do doesn't come out... there's no way to "correct" this and so I just keep retrying and dying over and over until it works.

for me, 90% of the time the controls are precise in Galaxy 2.  But this isn't supposed to be a fighting game where 10% of the time your moves don't come out.  It's a genre about RUN and JUMP.  Very simple button presses, it's not like street fighter where user input is a problem because of small frame limits and complex motions, it's hard to accept "you are dying because you don't have the skill to hit Z+A at the same time".  With platformers I expect my moves to come out 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:08:56 PM by Bebpo »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
Played that part again, and all I can tell you is that your timing is just off.  Did it without falling off any of the platforms, not even the rotating ones.  Try holding down A/hitting A before you land, not when your grounded.
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »
:shrug, I don't see any reason to play that level again since I passed it when I tried it (after a dozen lives at that checkpoint).  If there is another spring Mario level I will try your advice.

I think my Wii just hates me.  It's the only console this gen where I've had frustration with dozens of games due to controls.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:14:45 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
:lol what are you talking about

cool breeze

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
Literally the only problem I had with the controls in Galaxy 2 was one of the last stances with those big block enemies that move around and cause the wii remote to shake.  My remote is busted and the vibration makes any subtle move end up as a spin, especially considering the damn thing shakes nonstop in that stage.  I got through it fine after turning rumble off.

Bebpo

« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
When are you guys (who are good at this game) dying?

Everyone on the internet keeps saying "oh, but I definitely lost more lives in Galaxy 2 than Galaxy 1".  But then whenever I lose lives I post about it, it's always "you suck at controlling this game and are not awesome at the game like us".  If you guys aren't dying because of the controls or camera or bad game design, what is killing you?  

Maybe everyone else just doesn't post each time they lose more than 3 lives at a checkpoint :(  That's about my patience limit.  Lose more than 3-4 lives at a single checkpoint and I'm gonna rant because I'm  :maf

cool breeze

« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
who is saying that  ???

I thought Galaxy 2 was way easier than Galaxy 1.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »
I die a lot when I try too much, to be honest.  I'm a huge fan of the backflip + shake jump, and I do a lot of cool acrobatics that way combined with wall jumps.  Sometimes it doesn't pay off  :-\

Also, I've died at levels where the pattern is harder to grasp than other levels, like all the gravity switching ones.  Time limit ones get me sometimes, as well.

For the record, I think Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are about on par in terms of difficulty, it's just that the design concepts are much more intricate this time around.

There's no way Galaxy 2 is way easier than the first, it's just that we're all so familiar with 3d Mario controls.  All of us except fucking Bebpo, that is.  :lol
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »
When are you guys (who are good at this game) dying?

Everyone on the internet keeps saying "oh, but I definitely lost more lives in Galaxy 2 than Galaxy 1".  But then whenever I lose lives I post about it, it's always "you suck at controlling this game and are not awesome at the game like us".  If you guys aren't dying because of the controls or camera or bad game design, what is killing you?  

Maybe everyone else just doesn't post each time they lose more than 3 lives at a checkpoint :(  That's about my patience limit.  Lose more than 3-4 lives at a single checkpoint and I'm gonna rant because I'm  :maf

I lost lives because the my timing was off.  The only thing that I remember being rather bad was that the level where you have to do the rock mario with the elastic band walls.  The camera is too low on the last jump to be able to see when the right time to jump was.  99% of the time dying was my fault.

cool breeze

« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
I die a lot when I try too much, to be honest.  I'm a huge fan of the backflip + shake jump, and I do a lot of cool acrobatics that way combined with wall jumps.  Sometimes it doesn't pay off  :-\

Also, I've died at levels where the pattern is harder to grasp than other levels, like all the gravity switching ones.  Time limit ones get me sometimes, as well.

For the record, I think Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are about on par in terms of difficulty, it's just that the design concepts are much more intricate this time around.

There's no way Galaxy 2 is way easier than the first, it's just that we're all so familiar with 3d Mario controls.  All of us except fucking Bebpo, that is.  :lol

Galaxy 1 had some annoyingly difficult sections.  I was about to have an aneurysm during one of the purple coin stages where the tiles would disappear.  Galaxy 2 has a similar stage, but this time around it was far more lax, even when you had those cosmic clones chasing you.  I really don't think it has to do with my skills has a gamer increasing since I admit that I'm not very good at games, I just play a lot of them.

To clarify, I still think Galaxy 2 is a lot easier than Galaxy 1, but I think the challenge that is there is more satisfying...if that makes sense.  There were more cheap deaths in Galaxy 1 is what I'm trying to say, I think.  Even though I consider Galaxy 2 to be easier, I prefer this type of challenge.

Still, now that I'm working on the other hidden stars, it is a bit more difficult because many of them require leaps of faith and the camera is can become Mario 64 bad when you're looking where the game doesn't want you to.

edit: Dreadnought Galaxy.  I remember that one pissing me off too from Galaxy 1.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:42:44 PM by Linkzg »

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
I still think the game is way easier than any other 3d Mario.
I mean in my 10-15 hours of playing, I've probably lost about 50 lives or so.  20-30 spread around, a dozen at the invincible star + spineys, a dozen at the spring mario checkpoint, a few at the time trial stuff.  That's pretty good for me & a 3d Mario.  

Outside of a couple of spots I've been able to survive every level and nab every star on my first attempt.  And even those trouble spots I just keep at it for 5-10 mins and I pass it and get the star.  I've never quit out of a level and moved to a different star.

There were literally stars in Mario64/Sunshine/Galaxy1 where I'd spend 20-30mins and just give up because the star just wasn't going to happen with my level of skills and move on to a different one.  So the fact that I feel like I can get every star in Galaxy 2 makes it seem substantially easier.  I mean when I read that the 100 purple coin star in flipswap galaxy was one of the hardest in the game after doing it, I had to lol at bit.  The hardest stuff in the other 3d mario's was BRUTAL, that 100 coin thing took like 3-10 tries until you got the route for collecting the coin with the rolling balls coming.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:53 PM »
I mean in my 10-15 hours of playing, I've probably lost about 50 lives or so.

jesus  :lol
püp

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2010, 11:03:21 PM »
I bought this ready to love it, as SMG was one of the best games in recent memory.

Yoshi fucking sucks.

I turned it off after his initial stage. Not feeling it so far, jumped back over to RDR. will play a bit more this weekend maybe.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:38 PM »
yoshi does kind of suck.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
I like Yoshi  :'(

In fact I'd say they don't use him enough.
püp

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
re: last page

I'm only on the first world, but the Giantbomb video review called out the spring mario and chain chomp strip as a problem area.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
yea i like yoshi too tough the light/bulb powerup it's kind of stupid
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
yea i like yoshi too tough the light/bulb powerup it's kind of stupid

Oh come on, that's the best Yoshi powerup.  >:(
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »
What am I supposed to do with all these comet coins?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »
nothing
comet starts to appear automaticaly after world 3 (or maybe 2,i can't remember)
<----

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
What am I supposed to do with all these comet coins?

they make comet levels appear after you collect them.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »
So if I have all the visible stars and coins for a level, but I don't have the crown, does that mean a comet will appear there at some point?

cool breeze

« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
that or you get a letter in the future telling you there is a new challenge.  Unless they tell you there is a hidden star, you'll be going back at some point later in the game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
Currently up to the world 3 castle, with 40 stars... the first truly challenging level reared its head, the flip flop galaxy purple coins challenge... took me a few tries to do. Hopefully we'll have some more challenges like this.
^_^

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Did Sega step in to design this tree slide shit?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Did Sega step in to design this tree slide shit?
nah they just copied it from mario 64 :smug
<----

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
That part sucks, it's the only available star I haven't gotten in the first 3 worlds. You hit a random curve in the track the wrong way and your character just pops right up and sails off the edge.

8 hours, 51 stars. Shorter than SMG1 it seems. How many worlds are there?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
six+one secret world that rehash a lot stuff
[close]
<----

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
Am I missing some kind of shortcut for the Supermassive Comet speed run?

Bebpo

« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
On the last part Z+A jumps, though one small screw up and you have to restart it all. 

I finished it playing it safe and only Z+A shortcutting once and had about 10 seconds left on the clock when I finished.  This is probably the toughest speed run so far because the last section can easily kill you if you rush it, but if you don't rush it you might not make the time. 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
Just did the tree slide and the spring chain chomp thing  8)

I got the first star of World 5. It opened up like 4 other worlds, but I already have enough shit to buy the bonus world and go straight to the castle too. 63 stars.

I have crowns on world 1 and 2, and comet coins for every world I've entered. I think I'll stop the meticulous approach now and shoot for the ending so that I can spread out the gameplay a little longer.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
120 bitches

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
wait I have to fight bowser again to unlock the green stars?  lame

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »
65 or so now.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the Rock Mario stage in world 5
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the Rock Mario stage in world 5

Is that the one with the rubber sides?  ya that sucks mostly because the jump at the end has the camera placed too low.  Also having to break the fence and then waiting for the fucking bridge to fall everytime I died got annoying. 

A good trick is if you like up perfectly with the 1up over the gap, then you don't have to move at all on the next to turns you can just run strait though them.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2010, 12:06:09 AM »
The problem I have is getting to the star.  I make the last jump just fine, but I can't seem to jump to the star at the right time and I just end up falling.
püp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
That Supermassive speed run was TOUGH, but felt really good when I managed to complete it. Most of the way through World 4 now. Gonna put this aside for a little bit while I catass RoF though.
^_^

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
Quote from: some distinguished effete fellow on gaf
IMO, SMG1 was a great gaming experience. SMG2 is just a great (maybe even a bit better) Mario game. But again, that's just my experience, and it may be my four replays and three years of nostalgia for the first talking.

what the fuck does this even mean
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
bah that thread has seen worse shit
like all the offended manchilds because some random guy said mario is a childish game on some random publication
EDIT ahahahahahahahahah oh man they even changed the title :lol :lol :lol
they might be grown adults but they sure act like little kids
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:04:19 PM by magus »
<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
title now reads
"Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| "Can't possibly be good enough for adults, can it?""

http://i50.tinypic.com/2quoqs0.jpg
I can smell his tiny penis through my monitor and it stinks.
That's great that he blogs there, but what is his home address and best time for me to pee in his mouth?
I can't believe that dude is an award-winner. I haven't played SMG2 so I'm not going to comment on the actual opinion further than that it looks like standard "lol Nitnendo iz 4 kiddies" tripe. But the man can't write. "You portray Mario"? Portray? Really? I can just imagine this dude sat in his backlit bedroom asking the ether what his motivation is.

"Me and Mario go way back."

I'm on page 2, I don't know if I'll make it to 5.
This shitwit won an award?

Man I must really suck at this whole blogging thing.

i got more rage than this too but sadly it's gaf unrelated!
and before someone complains about shitting the thread,remember kids
slime made me do it!
<----

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
I'm 67 stars in and the game keeps on getting better. How is this possible?