Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread  (Read 12541 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Mario Galaxy 2 Thread
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
Early bird catches the worm  8)
fat

Third

• BODY TALK
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
Will play in a few minutes.  8)

Ntards owned. Wii's biggest haters can play the game first.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
smg2 will probably be goty, though. sorry mass effect 2.
[close]

Will post my unbiased impressions soon.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
You can come over and play it, honeypot
fat

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
the file is suspiciously small and there are no protection of sorts... some people are starting to wonder if it's not just a demo or something one guy says it's not
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:35:02 AM by magus »
<----

TripleA

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
Ign Review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1091239p1.html

Final score:
10/10
[close]

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:34 AM »
will rage again.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »
the file is suspiciously small and there are no protection of sorts... some people are starting to wonder if it's not just a demo or something one guy says it's not

NSMBwii is also just 375mb.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »

yeah but that was NSMB...
and besides the original galaxy was bigger
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »
It's just a scrubbed file, magus, it happens with, like, every Wii game.  If you look around, the entire file is also floating around as well.
püp

archie4208

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »

yeah but that was NSMB...
and besides the original galaxy was bigger

Shouldn't an expansion pack be smaller than the original game?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
The internal file name is "SUPER MARIO GALAXY MORE"
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
:rofl
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
Game is going to be amazing regardless.
püp

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
I'm already in love with this game. It's amazing.  :heartbeat

:drudge HUGE STORY SPOILER  :drudge

Princess Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser  :o
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
Yep, it's Mario Galaxy. I'm gonna go back to playing Split Second now
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
identifying wood.

yep, it's wood.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
It auto-saves now. HALLELUJAH it truly is a sequel
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »

It's 4.69GB uncompressed.  I'm burning it no-- uh I mean, I got a copy early!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
Maybe I need a new NeoGAMMA...it keeps freezing up on me after it loads.  I selected a Mii for my profile and it's just hanging on the little planet that appears after.

EDIT:  Hmm...I think it's the disc I'm using.  Gonna try burning at a slower speed.  If that doesn't work, I'll just wait until next week.  Not worth spending any more time on the Wii.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:30:07 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
pwnt. get a job and buy it
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
I have it pre-ordered on Amazon.  $20 credit from them for doing it was a good deal!
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »
The Cloud Powerup is the coolest shit.
püp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
Meh, everything leask early nowadays. I dunno if I'll even grab this right away, still have some other crap to finish. Bet it's awesome.
Hi

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
 :lol wii
©ZH

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
:drudge GOTY  :drudge

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »
I swear to Christ if Nintendo doesn't give Zelda the same orchestrated music treatment as Galaxy 2, I will shit bricks.  Bad bricks.  The music in this game is just perfect.
püp

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
played up to the second world. the boss fights have been fun, but the levels are mostly boring. so in other words it's mario galaxy 2.
BiSH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
 ::)
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
played up to the second world. the boss fights have been fun, but the levels are mostly boring. so in other words it's mario galaxy 2.

Yep, should be fun in 2012 when I sit down with it
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Seems the same as the first one.

Which is good I guess, though it doesn't have the wow factor or feel fresh this time around.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
Buncha Xfags itt
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
Mario Galaxy is my favorite 3d platformer ever dude

It's just that at the early start, the game doesn't give the same "woahh this is awesome!" vibe and is more like "been there, done that".  Stuff like the first boss being a rehash of the first boss from Galaxy 1 is kinda lame.  If I wanted to fight a boss with those patterns I'd play the first game. 

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
...keep playing the game. there is a lot of new content.
wut

drew

• sy
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
Early bird catches the worm  8)

im going to rob you

stealth edit: why did i assume that you would buy a wii game :duh

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
...keep playing the game. there is a lot of new content.

ok, yeah.  Game is awesome. 

Oblivion

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Very surprised at some of the reviews giving it perfect scores. I was expecting way more people (especially IGN) complaining that it was more of the same.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
uh... my impression so far,spoiler i guess?
so the game open with a storybook and you get to play it 2D style,bowser shows up,pick the princess and then teleport away... no giant airship,no cake... just... that,then you get a mario shaped planet to chase him up

but anyway,the first level is pretty much standard fare,they recycle galaxy first boss petey piranha (weird that no review mention that... stay classy gaming journalism :smug)

in the second level you get yoshi,he has his trademark flutter jump and if you point at something and press B,he'll eat it with it's tongue (which he can also use to grapple on special platform) it's okay... the second star include a boss,a lakitu with a crown that you have to kill by throwing spikey shell back at him using yoshi,not too hard

in the third level you get a drill power up,when you drill you end up on the other side of the planet,it's clever but doesn't involve more tought than "i have to go to the other side to drill so i can reach that elevated platform" this stage has a boss too,it's the giant robo spider but he's fought differently from the original so we'll give it a pass,tough the fight itself is very similiar to the penguin boss from yoshi island

then i got to a secret level where platform switched everytime you spinned,it was actualy somewhat challenging (i even died once :omg) so it gets a thumb up

the fifth level introduced the cloud suit,when you waggle you make a platform below you but by using the long jump (you know when you dash,press Z and then jump) you barely have to make any use of the power,again it's okay...

the sixth level use the arrow-gravity switching gimmick from the original galaxy,there is not a lot to say here

the last level has a pretty short segment and then a fight against a giant dragon,the giant dragon is nice but he dies really quickly and dodging him is really easy which is somewhat disappointing

that concludes world one

the first level of world two is made out of wood and there are seesaw that cut out part of the level so you have to be quick,decent enough,this one is a hit

the second level has boulder mario,you waggle,he rams,pretty stupid power up the boss is similiar to the first level boss (altough this time it's an armadillo) only that you have to ram it's behind while being boulder mario instead of just attacking him,lame level

the third level has yoshi again and a remix of super mario world music,this time there is chili pepper,if yoshi eats it he become red and starts to dash like crazy,this was a pretty cool level made even more worthwhile thanks to the mario world music but alas it's over in a blink of the eyes

after clearing the third level you get challenged an issue from a monkey in a previous level,the challenge is to stomp multiple enemy with a single jump,it actualy takes a little effort so it's good stuff,while i'm here i also do the secret part of the level and... BEHOLD! ANOTHER RECYCLED BOSS! this time it's the giant buzzard who flies around a giant tree,in the original you fight him as bee mario but here you do it as cloud mario,doesn't end up making much of a difference

the fourth level is a racing minigame,albeit one that is much less annoying than the manta race

the fifth level is a underwater level,kinda boring

the sixth (secret) level is a bee mario level,but it's all in 2D prospective... meh! (are they going to hide all the rehashes in secrets? :teehee did i mention another secret bit has you chasing a rabbit? :teehee)

this time bowser level is much better than the last one,the fight with bowser is different from galaxy but not really worth a mention,it still has that inappropriate choir music (i mean it's good... but... it's bowser!)

and that's the second world

the first level of world three as you navigating a giant trunk,you do so by having yoshi eating blue fruit that let him fly,the weird thing is that the level is circular so techinicaly you can fall infinitely,it's a neat level... the second star of the level copies the slide from mario 64 world 3... when i say copy i mean that they even use the same music,but ehy at least it's fun! i even end up dying 3 times!

the second level uses the cloud suit yet again,there is now wind that blow up your cloud but is more or less like the previous cloud level

after finishing the cloud level,comet starts to appear,some of these were dumb and short but some were challenging and fun (specialy the one on the level where platform switch everytime you spin) definitely better than most of the normal level i played,but anyway

the third level is boo themed,there is even the ghost house music from super mario world,first star require yoshi
to eat a yellow fruit so he can shed light on a invisible ghost house,the second is more classic but the jumps are tight and you are chased by boo,it's good stuff

the fourth level is a ice one,you make some jumps,pick a fire flower and then destroy a giant snow sculpture of bowser... boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

the last level i played was a ball rolling galaxy... now i really want to be pissed at yet another bit recycled from galaxy but that music is so hypnotic i can't resist...

and that's where i stopped playing but beside a secret level unlocked by feeding a luma that was the entirity of world 3
[close]

tl;dr version

the game has been hit & miss,some level are boring,some are not,some music is bad,some is not
if there is one thing that annoy me in particular is that most level are incredibly short with some lasting even less than a minute and none lasting more than 5
<----

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »

Same.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
I like how the first level had at most 5 checkpoints, lol
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
jesus christ magus
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »
what?
mmm is the big summary too confusing? maybe i should divide it by world?
<----

drew

• sy
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »
magus is italian, its hard for him to express himself without using affect of speech and hand gestures :smug

Oblivion

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
GS gave it a 10.

What say you now, haters? :smug

TripleA

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
Ah, the haters are nowhere to be found.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
still not as good as GTA4.
BiSH

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
 :rofl

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »
still not as good as GTA4.
It got the same score tyvm!

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
When Galaxy 2 officially releases you'll get a tutorial DVD. Queue pisstakes.
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Currently dling this. Never played SMG so lookin forward to checkin this out  :D
◕‿◕

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
magus is italian, its hard for him to express himself without using affect of speech and hand gestures :smug
>:(
sooooooo impression up to world 5 start
not much to say about the rest of world 3,snow world has another star where you fight a boss who looks like a giant snowball,he tries to trample you,you punch him in the nose 3 times and he's dead,meh
the bowser level of world 3 has yoshi in it,you can eat bullet bill and spit them back at the target and the entire level use this gimmick,giant robot boss included so it's somewhat similiar to the second boss

World 4
the first level is pretty much standard fare but it looks pretty cool because everything is gigantic (you even get to wall jump on a coin!)

the second level use super mario world style grates,unlike super mario world tough you use them to get to the other side of the planet so it's somewhat similiar to the drill level (heck in fact,the second star require you to use the drill power up) it's slightly labirintine but easily done,there is a boss,this time some sort of fire spitting hedgehog,you go below him and then ground pound while he's on a grate,somewhat easy

the third level it's just honeybee galaxy,soooo yeah

the secret level has yoshi and require yet again use of the yellow fruit,it's pretty much the same deal with the ghost level barring the fact that this level has a cake/sweets theme instead

the fourth level has pianta's from mario sunshine and it's just a big beach with nothing of noteworth inside it (altough you get to use yoshi) this was probably the most boring level i played so far

the fifth level is chomp-chomp themed,the first star require you to guide chomp-chomp by removing obstacle from their track and it's somewhat stupid
the second star marks the return of spring mario and you have to time your spring jump so you end up dodging the chomp-chomp,this was nice

the bowser level this time had these 2D segments where the gravity would switch,these were nice but didn't add much,the bowser fight was pretty much the same as the first one but most of bowser attack now caused shockwaves making the fight slighty harder

and that concludes world 4

World 5

the first level of world 5 pull off the same gimmick of the tree trunk level of world 3 only this time is a space station and there are laser involved (so you can't simply fall infinitely) and those blue star you can grab by pointing at them so pretty lame right? that's what i tought before the second star of this level,the second star has you start in another part of the level,here every obstacle goes fast,like benny hill fast but there are button that when butt stomped will slow time for a while,it's a pretty cool gimmick plus the music of this level is really good,this was probably the best level i played so far

the only other level i played was boo galaxy and uh... guess what it had boo in it! near the end there is a bit where platform pops up like a pop-up book but it was such a short segment that it was kinda wasted
the second star had the boo powerup from the original only this time it was a 2D level

[close]

i know i ranted about the reviews quite a lot but another thing i can't help but finding funny is how many review claimed that "they cut all the fat!" yet there are still bonus star that require you to repeat something you already did under a time limit or level that you have to repeat just because a NPC has appeared in them
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:43:22 PM by magus »
<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
uh guys... i've finished the game  :lol
ENDING SPOILER!
mario defeat bowser and saves the princess :omg
[close]
but anyway i have only 91 star and apparently if you get a full set...
you get to hunt 120 other star
[close]
so maybe the situation isn't that bad if that doesn't turns out to be a dud
scattered trough the level there are suspicious teleporter looking thing so maybe that explains it
[close]

anyway... the summary so far in case someone was reading it (if you are and you think it can be improved in any manner or find some horrible grammatical error please say so)

one thing i forgot in the previous update is the secret level of world 3,it's of the floating platform variety but the platform switch in & out in rhytm with the music,very cool!... but anyway

World 5

the third level has a sand slide,there is a cool bit where you have to dodge block while sliding and there is a boss at the end,you have the fire flower and after chucking some stuff at you he opens his mouth,GUESS HOW YOU DEFEAT HIM?

the fourth level is another 2D level where gravity switch around,near the end gravity starts to switch to the rhytm of music,similiar to world 3 secret level but otherwise not a lot to mention here

the fifth level has bits with lava and bits with ice (wasn't there a level like that in the original too?) there is yet another boss,it's a squid in a chariot,he spits fireball at you but sometimes he spits a coconut which you have to send it back by spinning... it's really similiar to mario galaxy fire squid tough a bit harder since the arena is slippery and he fires a lot more projectile's

the secret level is disappointingly another race... pass!

the bowser level doesn't have anything special inside it but the boss is very cool,a giant robot that you can only defeat by attacking it from the top but to reach the top you have to use the cloud suit,actualy a better boss than the final one!

that concludes world 5

World 6

world 6 opens with yet another lava level,this time there are lava monster who try to attack you when standing on certain platform so you have to be quick on your feet but otherwise it's a pretty standard level,the second star makes use of rock mario again,this time you have to cross a series of platform while rolling,it's pretty cool

the second level was actualy very cool,the first bit has these platform that are inside some gears so they keep spinning which mean you have to keep moving inside them,one of the comet stars ask you to get 100 coins put inside these and this was probably the hardest star in the game so far,this one was good

the third level is throwback galaxy... i still think it's really lame,they really did almost nothing to make this level different... the boss is SURPRISE! king thwomp! he even has the same pre-fight lines he did in mario 64,he's bigger and can summon mini thwomp but otherwise it's the same fight you fought 12 years ago

the fourth level has tons of mini planet,the idea is that you can't proceed to the next planet until you defeat every enemy on it,it would have been lame but there are quite enough enemy to make it varied enough to work,this level also has a bonus star which force you to fight the final boss of world 1 AGAIN
really lame nintendo!

i'm missing two other level from this world but they require a tons of star bits to proceed which i haven't so let's go to the final level...

the final level is... well... lame! you make use of all of the new suits but these section are so incredibly short that they don't really matter,then you fight bowser and it's yet the same fight again,only this time the shockwave have a different pattern,then you have another fight with bowser which works differently for the standard one but which is over in like 30 seconds... what a wimpy way to finish the game!
but anyway after you finish,you unlock a new world! yay!

World S
and the first level of world S is mario purple coin from galaxy 1! :lol
if they are struggling for new idea now,somehow i really doubt about those other 120 stars...
[close]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:00:22 PM by magus »
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »
How can you be so fucking critical of this game, you're ridiculous.
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
i lack a childlike wonder :'(

in all seriousness,i think the game has it's good bit,it's bad bit and i just like to ramble,that's all there is to it,i'm sorry if i'm pissing someone (except tripleA :smug) anyway so far it's good but the original was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
I like this a lot but I'm a little surprised about the 10s.  Mainly because the camera seems a lot worse than I remembered it being in Galaxy.  There's been a good number of times where the camera has been too slow or a bad angle and I take hits or fall off stuff because I can't judge distance/see.  It's not like Mario Sunshine bad, but I don't remember the camera bothering me at all in Galaxy1 so I'd say it's somewhere between Sunshine & Galaxy camera.

Otherwise the game is a 10/10.  But I dunno if I could give it a perfect score with the wonky camera.

And damn, magus you are fast!  It's gonna take me at least a week or two to beat this I think.  Then again I was the last person here to finish NSMB and that took me a full two weeks and 20-30 hours.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »
The original is not "way" better at all, are you high magus?  :lol

This game has better music, much more intricate level design, better suits and power-ups, and the annoying things from the first game (slow cut scenes and text dialogues, too many comet challenges of pointless accomplishments) are for the most part missing, or refined.  The thing that's going to suck about this game is when it ends.

If this turns into an OoT -> MM comparison for fans, I'm going to get so pissed.  In both cases, the second game is better by a considerable margin.
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
MM is quirky though and doesn't give a big epic zelda adventure experience.  The gameplay is much better than OoT.  But I think of it as more of a spinoff game that is great and can't really be directly compared to OoT. 

Oblivion

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
If this turns into an OoT -> MM comparison for fans, I'm going to get so pissed.

Of course the comparisons are going to pop up. I knew it from the moment I saw the game. Of course, it's not a one to one comparison because SMG2 isn't a spinoff type game like MM was.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »
The original is not "way" better at all, are you high magus?  :lol

This game has better music, much more intricate level design, better suits and power-ups, and the annoying things from the first game (slow cut scenes and text dialogues, too many comet challenges of pointless accomplishments) are for the most part missing, or refined.  The thing that's going to suck about this game is when it ends.

If this turns into an OoT -> MM comparison for fans, I'm going to get so pissed.  In both cases, the second game is better by a considerable margin.

say i'm wrong but personaly i think most of the level are simply too small,then you factor each galaxy has only 2 stars (sometime even 1) + 1 comet on it and you spend less than 10 minutes on each galaxy (heck in fact since it records your time,i might even make a tally :lol) that's really the biggest problem i have,the second problem i have is when they pick stuff from the original,it doesn't happen often (maybe even rarely) but it happens and it's lame and this game has "pointless comet challenge's" too! (not that i mind that much)

i personaly didn't care much for the new suits or the new music... they are there! the original at time had this new gimmick of spherical level but this gimmick is not new anymore so between the fact that galaxy level were biggers and that the game was "fresher" i think galaxy is better
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:04:27 AM by magus »
<----

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
So to a guy who didn't like the first much, how is the second any different?

It's not. You won't like SMG2 if you didn't like the first one.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 08:06:03 AM »
nah i just get pissy when the title i'm playing get high remark from everyone
you should have seen the cloud i've raised for persona 3 on gaf at the time of the release :smug

it might seems i do just want to ruin the party of everyone but i simply would like for people to see the game low point too

and as i said galaxy 2 is good... (or else i wouldn't have finished it) it's just that i don't think it's that good

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:14:42 AM by magus »
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »
typical italian.