Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1492560 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
The NBA thread
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
nba thread stuff

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:24:47 AM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: NBA Off-season Thread of Lebron and D-Wade Sweepstakes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
I forgot Yao Ming existed

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
why the fuck is Tracy McGrady still playing
püp

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:24:09 PM »
I forgot Shaq existed

why the fuck is Shaq still playing

fixed

utter disgrace :yuck

Himu

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
yao ming hasn't played in like a year and a half due to injury
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
i really wonder how the rockets are going to play with yao. As much as I like Yao and as much as he's a big part of Houston culture, I think it's time to let him go. He doesn't really click with the current Rockets' playstyle. For the past twenty years, the Rockets have employed a slower style because they mostly catered to big, tall centers. In the past year without Yao, their style has changed dramatically. We've now got young players and play at a faster pace, than compared to when we had both Yao or Hakeem on the court. I've never seen the Rockets play aggressive like that in my life and I'd like to see it continue.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:36 PM »
I think Yao would still be OK with the new teammates.  He's never been selfish so he won't be whining if his scoring average dropped by a few points.  Post scoring is still essential to winning a championship when the tempo slows way down.  There are so few skilled big men that teams should absolutely try to make things work if they got one. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
I forgot Shaq existed

fixed

smh hater

So Shaq is stuck with the Cavs lol?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
I just sent a round-up email to a couple of friends so I'll paste it

Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay likely staying put for the respective maxes - makes total sense for them since they'll be very much overpaid. No rings in their immediate future then.

Amare - Sarver clearly low-balled him so he's gone. Nets/Knicks/Heat.

Phil Jackson/Doc Rivers - back

Darko - Wolves inexplicably gave him a big contract AND signed another Euro center (former 2nd rd pick) to a hefty deal. And they now want to trade their franchise player (Al Jefferson). Darko's total NBA  contract value to date now comes to $58 million, and he's still what, 25? Chad Ford says his agent deserves some kind of lifetime achievement award.

Byron Scott to coach the Cavs. Brian Shaw turned them down in the hopes that Phil Jackson wouldn't return to the Lakers. Ooops. He had a shot at coaching LeBron for the next decade there.

Knicks pitch contains a new wrinkle - they want the big guns to sign 3yr deals for less than the max to get 3 players, then re-sign them for more cash later (having their Bird rights would allow them to exceed the max). Cunning. Also, they plan to go after Melo next year as well.

And finally - LeBron says he'll decide by Monday!

Watching all the pieces fly around the board is so much fun. Pat Riley must be loving this. Can you imagine the phone conversations that are going on right now? What a great documentary this could be. I think i'd watch a 10 part HBO miniseries on this.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
I forgot Shaq existed

fixed

smh hater

So Shaq is stuck with the Cavs lol?

You don't think that Shaq is disgracing his legacy?  ::)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Shaq is my favorite player of all time. I think the latter part of his career could have gone much better if he had taken care of himself throughout the years

I'm glad FA has started but I also can't wait for it to end. If LeBron is serious about winning, his main options should be Chicago, Miami, and the Nets. The Knicks would be Cavs redux - actually they'd be even worse. Chicago has a stud PG, a nice banger/glue guy in Noah, and some other good pieces; only bad thing would be that the Jordan comparisons/pressure would be even higher.

Miami would be nice, especially if they can get Bosh too.  The Nets have a nice front court and a good pg.

Beezy

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
I don't care what the logical decision is, I want him to come to the Knicks. If not, then at least go to a team that is guaranteed to shit on the Lakers next season. Make the Miami dream team (no, I don't actually think there's any chance of this happening).

OptimoPeach

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »
I don't care where any of the big names end up as long as they all end up in a different city than where they are now. Would be a nice way to spice up the league
hi5

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
If I were LeBron, I'd go to Chicago and not stick with exactly the team they have. They'd be better off spending the rest of their cap space on free agent bargains this year/next year rather than reaching for Bosh or Wade (or worst of all, giving the max to someone who doesn't deserve it like Johnson, Gay or Amar'e).

P.S. next year is going to be a bargain hunt galore thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement. A ton of players are going to take huge paycuts. A team with space will be able to clean up if they're smart. So Knicks fans, do not despair. Cap space will still be awesome to have next year.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
As much as I hate the fact, NY is probably the only place that can restore and even increase the respect and glamor that Bron lost from not winning a championship.  If they can convince so many that Jeter was the best player of the last decade, they'll have no problems doing the same for The King.  

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Darko - Wolves inexplicably gave him a big contract AND signed another Euro center (former 2nd rd pick) to a hefty deal.

I remember reading an SI article when Darko came out about how he reminded some scout of Wilt Chamberlain.

:rofl

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
As much as I hate the fact, NY is probably the only place that can restore and even increase the respect and glamor that Bron lost from not winning a championship.  If they can convince so many that Jeter was the best player of the last decade, they'll have no problems doing the same for The King.  

Really? He could go to Chicago and win a title at 25 vs 29 for Jordan. And the Dream Team thing in Miami would be the biggest thing in years, if they can swing it. Every game would be an event.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
I've said before for Lebron it should either be Chicago or whatever team can create a cocktail and match him up with another potential superstar (Let's be honest here. Wade)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
Darko - Wolves inexplicably gave him a big contract AND signed another Euro center (former 2nd rd pick) to a hefty deal.

I remember reading an SI article when Darko came out about how he reminded some scout of Wilt Chamberlain.

:rofl

Yeah, and Darko said he modeled his game on KG. The same agent also got huge deals for Sam Dalembert and Benu Udrih, btw. Over $150 million for those 3!
vjj

DJ_Tet

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »

Really? He could go to Chicago and win a title at 25 vs 29 for Jordan. And the Dream Team thing in Miami would be the biggest thing in years, if they can swing it. Every game would be an event.

Yeah.  All the 'pundits' like to point out that MJ won before his 7th year in the league but they neglect to point out that MJ went to three years of college and was a lot older than LeBron is now when he won his first championship.  
TIT

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »

But Jeter is the hometown hero, though. He's a "real" Yankee. LeBron would just be like the mercenary player coming to New York for the spotlight (ala A-Rod). Unless he wins a championship right off the bat, he's going to come under a lot more scrutiny than he would in Ohio. And do the Knicks look like a team that's ready to win even with LeBron?
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:21 PM »
I've said before for Lebron it should either be Chicago or whatever team can create a cocktail and match him up with another potential superstar (Let's be honest here. Wade)

Chicago really makes the most sense for him as a team. Sure, there would be some issues with him and Rose needing the ball. But the biggest problem LeBron has is that he has HAD to be the ball-handler all this time, so it's too easy for defenses to collapse on him. He can learn to work with Rose.

And the other pieces fit very nicely around him. Deng is a bit overpaid and they might want to move him if they can, but if he stays, he's still a great 3rd option. He has no inside game but wouldn't need one.

Tom Thibodeau (the Celtics defensive guru) just signed as coach, which is also perfect. Rose could be a Gary Payton level defensive player under the aegis of someone like Thibodeau, especially if the pressure to score was taken away. Just look at how Rondo developed. That team could challenge right away, I think, whether or not they get Bosh, Amar'e or whoever. In a couple of years, they would likely be the favorites.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »

NY media is the master of hagiographic hyperbole, kinda like how the English media is with regards to the soccer team before every tournament.  For years, NY has been called the Mecaa of the basketball world even though NY collegiate and professional teams have been mostly irrelevant for years.  There is still a lot of talk about NY point guards being the shit even though most of them failed to live up to the hype.  

As much as I hate the fact, NY is probably the only place that can restore and even increase the respect and glamor that Bron lost from not winning a championship.  If they can convince so many that Jeter was the best player of the last decade, they'll have no problems doing the same for The King. 

But Jeter is the hometown hero, though. He's a "real" Yankee. LeBron would just be like the mercenary player coming to New York for the spotlight (ala A-Rod). Unless he wins a championship right off the bat, he's going to come under a lot more scrutiny than he would in Ohio. And do the Knicks look like a team that's ready to win even with LeBron?

NY fans want Lebron though, unlike Arod.  Most of them hated Arod because he played the same position as Jeter and was considered the better player by everyone outside of NY. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »
I think Lebron stays in Cleveland.  Chicago gets Bosh and possibly Wade, but I wouldn't count on Wade leaving either.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »

Yeah.  All the 'pundits' like to point out that MJ won before his 7th year in the league but they neglect to point out that MJ went to three years of college and was a lot older than LeBron is now when he won his first championship.  

At the same time, I do think that LeBron's career is probably already at or close to it's halfway point, in terms of All-NBA performance at least. 7 NBA seasons is like dog years compared to college seasons. He could well have a long career if he moves to power forward and relies primarily his size and strength rather than his mobility and leaping ability (I think he could do everything Karl Malone did...) but looking at Kobe and KG and Jermaine O'Neal really drives it home that it's tough to be dominant past 32-33.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:17 PM »
LeBron's Facebook feed:

http://www.slate.com/id/2258799/
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »
http://www.whosay.com/ChrisBosh/content/1437?code=FrP2L8

'RT @chrisbosh Just had dinner w @dwadeofficial. Great way to end day 1 although it feels like someone is missing......'

subtle! :lol
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »
Pretty good faq on the salary cap.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q2

TripleA

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
Shaq should just retire.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Shaq just had a very expensive divorce. He'll milk this for all it's worth.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »
Worst/funniest scenario:  LeBron and Wade sign one-year extensions with their teams, making us go through all of this again.

Beezy

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
And Carmelo Anthony would join the circus next year and none of them end up on the Knicks. :lol

:fbm

DJ_Tet

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »

At the same time, I do think that LeBron's career is probably already at or close to it's halfway point, in terms of All-NBA performance at least. 7 NBA seasons is like dog years compared to college seasons. He could well have a long career if he moves to power forward and relies primarily his size and strength rather than his mobility and leaping ability (I think he could do everything Karl Malone did...) but looking at Kobe and KG and Jermaine O'Neal really drives it home that it's tough to be dominant past 32-33.

No doubt.  The NBA grind takes years off the back end of your career when you come in that early.  Even Kobe is feeling it.  This group is a lot 'older' @ 30 than Jordan and Malone were when they hit 30.  Kobe/KG etc have played a lot more NBA games than Jordan did, so it works both ways.  LeBron's clock is ticking so to speak.  If he hasn't peaked yet he will soon.
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »
Worst/funniest scenario:  LeBron and Wade sign one-year extensions with their teams, making us go through all of this again.

Well, you may just be joshin' but just in case:

This is not gonna happen, because of the collective bargaining agreement expiring after next season. The season after that is bound to be a lockout, so everyone, but everyone wants to go into that with a long term deal if possible. This is the only reason why Richard Jefferson walked away from the last year of his deal paying 15 million. He knows he won't get anything like that yearly rate, but he needs a multi-year deal. The very least they sign for is 3 years, which actually seems like a good idea (that's the length of the extensions LBJ, Bosh and Wade signed last time, remember). 3 years gives them long enough to build a solid team and take a shot at the title, and then get out if it goes pear-shaped.
vjj

Stoney Mason

Beezy

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
Meh, that was mostly expected. You should cross their names out in the OP.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »
When was the last time the Knicks signed a premier player? (Stephon Marbury doesn't count)

Tracey McGrady :smug

Phoenix Dark

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
Amare to the knicks.

Five-year, $99.7 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5356502

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
Not a wonderful outcome for the Knicks but he's more-or-less worth it. They really need to find a proper PG though, and the ones on the market are garbage.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Amare + LeBron. BELIEVE.
PSP

Stoney Mason

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
I've honestly never been as big on Amare ever since he came back from the injury but he is a good offensive player close to the basket.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
LeBron would be pretty dumb. He could have just made the Cavs trade for Amare last year (or the year before...) when Phoenix were shopping him and no-one wanted him. The problem is that Amare plays no D, and Mike D'Antoni has a history of enabling that.
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 10:54:35 PM »
When was the last time the Knicks signed a premier player? (Stephon Marbury doesn't count)

Tracey McGrady :smug

McGrady was a trade acquisition meant to create cap room when his deal expired this year. Not quite a "signing" of a "premier" player. Then again, wasn't Marbury also a trade?

At any rate, the Knicks' problems go back at least to when they gave the world to Allan Houston, outbidding absolutely nobody. That was a signing so bad that when buyouts were created, it was called "The Allan Houston rule." The amazing thing is that the Knicks didn't even utilize it to immediately get rid of him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:57:03 PM by Bocsius »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
Amare doesn't make NY a contender. They need a PG, among a host of other things

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
Yep, the Knicks need a whole lot more than just one player. With Amare, do the Knicks even contend for 8th place in the conference? Which is why the Bulls continue to look like the best place for a player like LeBron. They can get two max players and already have a Rose and a supporting cast. Instant contender. Nobody else in the east can offer that. Not even the Heat, because even if they got Wade, LeBron, and Bosh, who else do they have? They'll have a bunch of league minimum players filling out the roster.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:11:09 PM by Bocsius »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »
Hollinger projected a Heat team like that would win 61 games. And would you want to face them in the playoffs, when they could play all those guys 40 mins a game?
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
I'm sure the Heat would be nigh unstoppable with those three players.

Riley would probably want to coach them though, and I doubt Bron Bron would like that

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
Yeah, the Knicks still fucking suck. They wait years for LeBron, then give up and panic ridiculously quickly and throw money at Amare. Now they might just wait for Carmelo or some shit. I guess we'll see.
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
This doesn't put them out of the hunt for LeBron in the least?
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
Blowing their load on a dude who doesn't play any defense, has no killer instinct, and lost explosiveness to a knee injury

Typical Knicks

Beezy

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Yeah, the Knicks still fucking suck. They wait years for LeBron, then give up and panic ridiculously quickly and throw money at Amare. Now they might just wait for Carmelo or some shit. I guess we'll see.
what?

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
LeBron-Wade-Bosh and a bunch of nobodies might be the best team in the east, particularly as the Celtics get older and if the Magic can't move some bad contracts (Carter, Lewis) and improve their roster, but I think Rose-LeBron-Bosh (or Boozer)-Deng-Noah would be better.

Perhaps I'm not as hyped on that triumvirate because truthfully I know nothing about Bosh other than he played at Georgia Tech for a year. Playing in Toronto basically makes him invisible. I've seen Amare and Boozer enough times making deep runs into the playoffs, not so much with Bosh.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
This doesn't put them out of the hunt for LeBron in the least?
what?
I like assuming the worst!
AMC

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
I would be shocked (SHOCKED) if LeBron went to the Knicks, given the other options. He would have to assume they can get more players next year, which is a big assumption. I would also be surprised at this point if he stayed in Cleveland. Those two moves would be real leaps of faith that those rosters can be upgraded.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
Seems like he's gonna stay in Cle to me. Maybe they get Chris Paul

Knicks could get Melo next year, which would be interesting.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 11:46:40 PM »
Blowing their load on a dude who doesn't play any defense, has no killer instinct, and lost explosiveness to a knee injury

Typical Knicks

But they haven't blown their load. They can still sign LeBron or whoever. With Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay already locked up, their chances of making a truly horrible mistake from this point on are fairly slim. (The only other guy they could really overpay would be Boozer, and they're not going to sign another PF).
vjj

Phoenix Dark

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
Fitting that Allan Houston is in that pic.
AMC