Author Topic: Game  (Read 1098863 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Weeoo
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »
It looks like Fisher Price's My First iPad.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Larger than the Vita's screen but lower in resolution.

That's Nintendo's HD system for you.

Poor indeed.
Unzip

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »

The joke is a Leapfrog Leapster.

Though recently, I've been coming around to karaoke remocon:

乱学者

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
"That's really driven by the hardware, and the original Wii games were built for a specific type of hardware. There's no mechanism to quote-unquote 'up-res' that unless we launch a brand-new game." - Reggie Fils-Aime

guess you guys will have to keep sticking to the dolphin :teehee
<----

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
It's the perfect resolution for a map screen

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »

:lol that's what I said to someone at work yesterday.
itm

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
"That's really driven by the hardware, and the original Wii games were built for a specific type of hardware. There's no mechanism to quote-unquote 'up-res' that unless we launch a brand-new game." - Reggie Fils-Aime

guess you guys will have to keep sticking to the dolphin :teehee

Yeah, considering that other folks have shown that it's possible via pc Nintendo is full of fucking bullshit on this. :maf
Hi

Sho Nuff

« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
Lol silly Reggie

We have been running Nintendo games at obscenely high resolutions since UltraHLE

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:04 AM »
Lol silly Reggie

We have been running Nintendo games at obscenely high resolutions since UltraHLE

:rofl

Yeah, but isn't there something troublesome in there? Is it smooth to run, or do you have to tweak settings for each game?

etiolate

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
So I watched the UBI conference. It seems there's a tight lid being kept on discussing specs or pretty much anything outside of controller based concepts.

What can be gathered:

Ghost Recon Online will have user profiles and a friend list via Ubi Soft.
They showed a 1v1 match of GRO.
The game, so far, uses the controller for a map screen, a drone which you can hover over the field and find enemy players with, weapon augmentation and dropping camera guided missiles.
The map screen can be used to set markers in the game such as Attack Here or Defend Here and it will show up on the TV screen for your team. Also, enemies found and marked by your drone will show up for your team

Freaks from Outer Space used the controller screen and gyro for aiming. It seemed like the single player was done entirely on the controller's screen.
They then demoed a two player home multiplayer where one player was viewing the map from above and able to drop and allocate freaks onto the map.

I am not really sure the advantage of any of these. The Freaks multi concept could be done online. The only real interesting one was the drone camera in Ghost Recon Online and the ability to instant tap a gathering spot for tactics.

And they talked about an Ass Creed being run on the system with all the effects and shaders going.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »
That's why it's 6.2". :smug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »
Seriously, for half of the reveal I thought it was just a Wii add-on and that Nintendo had trolled everybody.
dog

Sho Nuff

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
If your argument is "The only way you can understand our product is to play it yourself first" then that probably means that either a. Your product sucks or b. You're an awful communicator

Seriously, I have heard this excuse used so often in regards to Japanese companies explaining why everyone hates their crappy product.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
Wii U please understand?
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
Borys :yuck

found something interesting

“The multi-core architecture of the console is a natural fit for our in-house HD engines, such as the Anvil engine used for Assassin’s Creed,” explained Marc Parenteau, Technical Architect at Ubisoft’s Quebec studio.

He continued, “In addition, the large memory capacity of the console will be used to bring performance enhancements, such as pre-calculating data or increasing our cache sizes.”

So it has more than 512MB RAM,1GB is my bet.
cat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
Iwata has moved from blaming the consumer to blaming the press

if he needs help working through the 7 Stages of Underwhelming Hardware he should free-dial Ken
乱学者

cool breeze

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
really if information hadn't leaked before the press conference, the Wii U would just seem like a controller accessory to the Wii.  They were showing off Wii Sports, called it a new controller, and didn't mention the console at all.  It wasn't until the tech demos and 360 games that it seemed to be a different console.

fwiw, the Wii U as a console looks alright.  The original Wii is just a really dense and angular rectangle.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:53:41 PM by Linkzg »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
really if information hadn't leaked before the press conference, the Wii U would just seem like a controller accessory to the Wii.  They were showing off Wii Sports, called it a new controller, and didn't mention the console at all.  It wasn't until the tech demos and 360 games that it seemed to be a different console.

fwiw, the Wii U as a console looks alright.  The original Wii is just a really dense and angular rectangle.

Hmm....I've heard this complaint but I don't know. Outside of better graphics I'm not sure what people were expecting. It sounds like people were expecting a new gimmick on the same level of the Wii. Which probably is unrealistic.

cool breeze

« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
It's not really a complaint, tbh.  Nintendo just really poorly communicated what Wii U actually was and I can understand if people who didn't know beforehand were confused.  Nintendo didn't even show the console.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
It should have been:

"Check out our new console! It has a totally awesome controller that's way different from anything you've ever seen!"

Instead it was:

"Check out this totally awesome controller that's way different from anything you've ever seen!"
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
I think if they had just called it Wii 2, a lot of that would have gone away. This whole thing seems like a semantics argument in that sense.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
Not really.

- France24.com reported that Nintendo showed a new handheld system that can be connected to your TV
- one of my colleagues (who is a 360/ Kinect) gamer thought this was a new peripherial (like the Ballance Board)

Nintendo really dropped the ball in communicating what Wii U clearly is.

He thought it was a new peripheral because its not called Wii 2. And because its called Wii U. Not to mention its not like there are commercials running 24/7 to try to market it at this stage. If it was called Wii 2 he would know inherently in the name itself that it was new thing.

The issue isn't communication imo. The issue is whether somebody in and of itself thinks that new controller is the new hotness. I think the controller in and of itself doesn't lend itself to being "revolutionary" in the same way the Wii was. Especially since ipads and itouch devices are in the market. That's the issue. Not communication.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:40:50 PM by Stoney Mason »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
It's not hard to understand why there is so much confusion because hardcore and casual Nintendo fans are already mentally challenged.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
kidding  :P
[close]
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Conference was confusing,at one point I was convinced that new console is either

a)tablet with buttons
b)Wii + tablet with buttons

Wii U will probably end like 3DS,nobody will care when competition releases some fud.

cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
I didn't watch the conference. I didn't watch any of the conferences. So maybe that's why I think this Wii U confusion issue is overblown. Since 99.999999999% percent of the public doesn't watch them either, that's why I don't buy the confusion issue.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
Mass media and investors watched.One interesting tidbit from MS conf,by Michael Pachter--immediately after MS announced youtube for 360,Netflix shares dropped by $10.

But yeah if you didn't watch the conference and went to gaming sites,no problem.
cat

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
Everyone on the EB chat thought it was a new controller too, it wasn't until they started showing the 360/ps3  games that we realize it was a new console.
Drunk

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Shamelessly copied:

Quote from: wsippel
Yeah, official word, just as promised. And I'm none the wiser: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wii-u/716198

There won't be a "centralized, one size fits all online gaming approach". Instead, they'll leave it to 3rd parties and will try to support their visions. Whatever that's supposed to mean. I know publishers love their weird little systems like Cerberus, Social Club, UPlay, CoD Elite and what not, but what about the stuff that has to be system level, like cross game chat and invites and stuff like that? And what about small developers and publishers who don't have their own system in place?

Well that concludes my short lived excitement for this thing. Prove them wrong, or GTFO Nintendo :lol
Unzip

Stoney Mason

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
I was expecting them to have a fucked up online system. They always will. It's not in their DNA.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
That statement seems ambigous.  If I had to guess what nintendo is suggesting-  Publishers with clout are allowed to use their own online network (ea already does this on wii).  They want these publishers to provide input on what they want the wiiu to be capable of to cultivate their aspirations (messaging, chat... dlc).  They can still opt for the nintendo wifi connection, smaller devs will obviously go with this option.  I mean,  I sincerely doubt nintendo wouldn't keep their own infrastructure around for wii and 3ds.  Managing accounts does sound messy though.  I imagine there will be a system wide account(s) attached to a friendcode.  Subaccounts for ea/ubi/etc will be assigned to these system wide parent accounts.

At least that would make some sense to me.  I feel the only major thing the 3ds online was missing right now was communication options.  It be weird to regress to ps2 online standards in 2012.
sad

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »
some interesting tidbits from DF

The Zelda demo, or "HD Experience" as Nintendo calls it, is almost certainly running at a native resolution of 720p, with no anti-aliasing and seems to be locked at 30 frames per second with v-sync engaged (subsequently verified with a good look at a 60Hz feed taken from G4's broadcast coverage of the event). It's a good demo, but as Oli says, it's very difficult to see this as anything other than affirmation that Nintendo's technical vision of the next generation is to effectively match the rendering performance of what's in the marketplace already. Once again, the platform holder is relying on ingenious controller-based concepts rather than cutting-edge tech.

Video and screenshot assets that have been released to date all show the same 720p resolution with no anti-aliasing. Bearing in mind the limited nature of the demos, the lack of any kind of edge-smoothing is a bit of a puzzle, especially bearing in mind the simplicity of the software. Multi-sampling anti-aliasing is hardware based, Nintendo should be able to just turn it on. Quite why they haven't is a bit of a mystery, especially bearing in mind how many of their titles emphasise good, clean 3D visuals that would benefit significantly by being jaggie-free.

In terms of other stuff we gleaned from checking out the E3 showing, there were displays showing both the main feed running on an HDTV, and then a secondary monitor depicting the content being beamed to the controller. What is interesting here is that the demo included a simulation of gameplay switching over from one display to the other. In this case, the game appeared to be switching resolution, rather than downscaling from HD as PS3 and 360 titles tend to when the consoles are set to 576p or 480p. This opens up the very real possibility that games with performance issues when running on an HDTV could actually run more smoothly when played on the tablet.

In terms of how powerful Wii U actually is, aside from the occasional 1080p claim, Nintendo has made no effort to put any kind of distance between it and the current generation HD consoles, and it's fair to say that the demos back this up. There is still discussion amongst fans of an enthusiast-level gaming GPU in the machine, but the fact that the Wii U itself is quite small would present some serious heat dissipation issues - the pre-production units photographed at E3 certainly possess a lot more vents than the original Wii. Curiously, the diminutive form factor of the console itself tells us far more about the potential power of the machine than Nintendo's own spec sheet.

As it is, we now have direct confirmation that Wii U features a 45nm, power efficient, IBM multi-core processor based on POWER architecture, but almost nothing about the make-up of the Radeon GPU. Factoring in the lack of differentiation between Wii U and the current generation consoles, it's likely that Nintendo has put a great deal of investment into the controller and will be looking to make the base unit as cheap to produce as possible.

At this point we're speculating, but our guess is that Wii U's RAM is based on GDDR3 or DDR3 - far more cost efficient than the top-end GDDR5 and the hitherto non-existent DDR4. In terms of the make-up of AMD's custom Radeon GPU, we reckon it probably has more in common with the Radeon HD 4650/4670 as opposed to anything more exotic. The 320 stream processors on those chips would have more than enough power to support 360 and PS3 level visuals, especially in a closed-box system. Fabricated on AMD's current 40nm process, it would be cool enough and cheap enough, but the 2012 launch may well mean that Nintendo could move directly to 28nm, making for a more cost-efficient, cooler box.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-e3-nintendo

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
There won't be a "centralized, one size fits all online gaming approach". Instead, they'll leave it to 3rd parties and will try to support their visions. Whatever that's supposed to mean. I know publishers love their weird little systems like Cerberus, Social Club, UPlay, CoD Elite and what not, but what about the stuff that has to be system level, like cross game chat and invites and stuff like that? And what about small developers and publishers who don't have their own system in place?

So Wu* will follow Nintendo reptilian age philosophy?

Not surprised,but that will hit them hard especially if rumors about 8 GB storage are true.Dedicated gaming machines are not enough today,quality online + big in the box storage is a must for big consoles.

*Wu=Weeoo

cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
Wu
Wu
Wu

much easier for my simple brain
cat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »
So Nintendo continues not to give a shit about online? That will really attract the core gamers.

Putting all your chips into a novel new controller just sounds too risky. There are certain things that you MUST establish when developing a new console nowadays and having a robust online infrastructure is one of them.

Bridging the gap between home console and handheld is a neat concept, and is one of those ideas that you'd think would just take a matter of time catch on. But I don't think that the same audience that bought the wii is gonna buy this. It's a different proposition from the wii -- much more traditional. That's why it's crucial that they get stuff like online up to a certain standard.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
How is it even novel? Ds already has two screens and that is the least interesting part of its functioning. And i didnt have to prop the ds' lower screen on my knees in order to use it. Or wave a controller in one hand while using a stylus wit the other.

Its nit even capacitive, right? Why not?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
There won't be a "centralized, one size fits all online gaming approach". Instead, they'll leave it to 3rd parties and will try to support their visions.

Nintendo living in 2002 ? that's refreshing!

This is uberfail. Third parties rely on XBL and PSN now to deliver the MP experience. Players rely on this as well.

Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot again with this type of online.

cool breeze

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
The nintendo fanboys on gaf are out of control.  It's better to just ignore.  As someone who has been posting on forums for many, many years, this is probably the worst show of blind company shilling I have ever seen.  I'm honestly confused about what these people are.

Are they posting to convince others to support the company?
Are they posting to convince themselves to keep supporting the company?
Or worse, do they actually believe what they're posting, like, down to their core?

The fascinating thing is that, you talk about sports with others, and they're not coy about their favorite sports team.  Even republicans and creationists take a stance.  But with video game companies, there is a false air of objectivity backed by illogical data that are supposed to validate an opinion.

It's not just Nintendo fans.  This morning I opened gaf, saw a post about how the Vita should win because it has the most inputs, and my brain kinda went "oh fuck you for trying to make me process this"

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »
Ninthings are really amazing creatures.After years of moaning and crying how third party hates Nintendo they are now full of faith.Third party will now apparently jump ship and make games with "better on Nintendo console" label.
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Re: Weeooooooo
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Nintards never learn that Nintendo won't have good 3rd party support and sales. They buy into the story every 5 fucking years.

drew

• sy
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2011, 02:30:32 PM »
you guys are way too invested in this bullshit, jesus christ

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
The nintendo fanboys on gaf are out of control.  It's better to just ignore.  As someone who has been posting on forums for many, many years, this is probably the worst show of blind company shilling I have ever seen.  I'm honestly confused about what these people are.

Are they posting to convince others to support the company?
Are they posting to convince themselves to keep supporting the company?
Or worse, do they actually believe what they're posting, like, down to their core?

The fascinating thing is that, you talk about sports with others, and they're not coy about their favorite sports team.  Even republicans and creationists take a stance.  But with video game companies, there is a false air of objectivity backed by illogical data that are supposed to validate an opinion.

It's not just Nintendo fans.  This morning I opened gaf, saw a post about how the Vita should win because it has the most inputs, and my brain kinda went "oh fuck you for trying to make me process this"

And i assume Acebandage is leading this garbage :lol

Sho Nuff

« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
Weeooooooooo!!!

Finest console ever

cool breeze

« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
I don't remember names.  As far as I can tell, one person is posting on multiple accounts.  Two things that really blew my mind earlier:

-regarding multitouch, apparently there is not one single application that is useful for gaming.  Blowing in to the mic is a better tool for gameplay than multitouch.  But if you question any decision made for the console, you have no imagination.  Developers will make use of so-and-so potential.  You're just not smart enough to get it.

Wii U replaces rumble with an AIDs needle that pricks you when you lose.  "omg it increase the depth and width of gameplay! so intense! definitive version of dark race!"

-defending the overpricing of hardware and use of cheap components to avoid selling at a loss.  personally, I liked to side with a company instead of the consumers, even though I fall in the latter camp.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:13:48 PM by Linkzg »

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
^ the GAF thread on this is hilarious  :lol

great seeing the Nfans squaring off against the technophiles

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
So why were none of the demos or assets released thus far 1080p?

Calling it now, WiiU Zelda will be sub-720p.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
Guys do you think this will sell?

I feel really bad for the thousands of good people working at Nintendo who used to make the most acclaimed games and are now stuck with WiiU and 3DS and making the simplest of rehashes and not being allowed to stray from the new corporate mantra.

Oblivion

« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »
So..what do y'all homo erecti think of the Japanese garden demo? Anything in there that shows any significant jump from a high level 360/PS3 game?

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2011, 04:46:23 PM »
So..what do y'all homo erecti think of the Japanese garden demo? Anything in there that shows any significant jump from a high level 360/PS3 game?

The Zelda demo was more impressive even though it looked on par with 360/ps3 levels. I'd like to see the garden demo direct-feed though. Check that DF article I linked earlier, they go into more detail.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
it's a demo. it looks like a demo from the 360/ps3 era of hardware.
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
25% more sparks
sup

drew

• sy
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »
i thought this was a wii add on WTF

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
I want to see the complete checklist!

I like videogames and will buy this system if it has enough good games to justify a purchase.  That's really all I care about, none of this company loyalty crap.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
Why are people still acting like that Zelda demo is an actual game. Do you not remember Spaceworld, smh. Nintendo will release a Zelda weeeeooo title to combat the 720/PS4 launch, just watch. So wait until November 2014 suckers.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
You can consider those boxes checked!

Oblivion

« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »

Reggie: 1
EB: 0

:bow

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
don't hate--that smash bros announcement was crafty

You know people at Sony and Microsoft were feeling dumb.  Who knew you could away with announcing games that don't exist? well, technically there was Pikman 3, but that wasn't on stage.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
"Hey guys, we're making a new Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Star Fox, and even a new Pikmin game [maybe]!"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, we haven't started working on the console they're on just yet, but when we do, hoo boy!, you can bet those games will be on it!!"
[close]
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »
This was the worst announcement for a console that I can remember.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:57 AM »
Borys you got to understand this impresses people that have been playing this for the last few years

[X] Please understand