Author Topic: Game  (Read 1107549 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Weeooooooo
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
The last time Nintendo tried to do anything remotely interesting with their hardware was the N64, and they would have nailed it had they not cheaped out on the silicon. 4K texture buffer :derp

The 4mb cartridges... N64 :lol
◕‿◕

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
Good to see I'm not the only one that thinks the n64 was a piece of shit.
Drunk

« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
Nintendosbooger thinks he has achieved high intelligence when he still falls into the pitfalls of fanboyism, no one should take him seriously.

Nothing fanboyish. Just an observation made on my part.

I plan on acquiring a Playstation 3 pretty soon, and in those few chances I have available for quality gaming time, I intend to dedicate them to some quality "next-gen" gaming. I figure I gave Nintendo ample opportunities this generation, so it's time to give the other boys a shot.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
Always was and always will be. :gun
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
Always was and always will be. :gun

You're about to enter a world of pain. :maf
dog

« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
The N64 was a good machine.

In my opinion, a gaming console has to possess at least 10 classics in its library to justify its worth. The N64 had them:

1.) Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time
2.) Super Mario 64
3.) Super Smash Brothers (best one)
4.) Wave Race 64
5.) Perfect Dark
6.) Golden Eye
7.) Wrestlemania 2000 (or No Mercy)
8.) Rayman 2
9.) Banjo-Kazooie
10.) Jet Force Gemeni
11.) Starfox 64
12.) Sin & Punishment
13.) Blast Corps
14.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
15.) Mario Party
16.) Mario Kart 64

Was the N64 a piece of shit? Not at all.

naff

« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
You can still have good software on shit hardware. Still, I would cull like half those games you listed though and Diddy Kong racing >>>> Mario Kart 64
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
Any N64 list without Mischief Makers is just flat wrong.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »
:bow N64

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9313/hpim1437.jpg

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dont own Mario 64 :lol
[close]
fat

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
:bow N64

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9313/hpim1437.jpg

I dont own Mario 64 :lol
[close]

Damn, is that your collection now?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
Yep... took it just now. STill missing a ton of games, so there's only room to grow
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »
only one gold cartridge?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
Want to guess which one it is? :shh

The good one
[close]
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
Any N64 list without Mischief Makers is just flat wrong.

Well Nfags generally step over good third party games on Nintendo systems. They just don't have the magic and joyous whimsy of a Nintendo game.

cool breeze

« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
you could have both, just one is a later release

at least I think that's how it worked.  later zelda games were plain grey, had green blood and all that.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
bullshit N64 games have aged better than PS1 games.

the N64 fog man

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Neither have aged particularly well, but you can get rid of the fog in emulation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:16:21 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »
wait, what year is this?

is Quest 64 out yet?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »
wait, what year is this?

is Quest 64 out yet?

Get Quest: Brian's Journey (GBC) instead :bow
fat

« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
Final Fantasy 7 looks like dog shit now, homey.

Games like Mario 64 and Zelda OoT simply need a re-touch to look passable. FF7, for example, needs a full blown remake.

cool breeze

« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »
final fantasy 7 never looked good

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »
ever see dragon waarior 7's fmv? :boner
duc

Himu

« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
FF7's art saves its more technical failures. For instance, the forgotten city is a mind fuck of a place, design wise. That and the music really push FF7 above a lot of games.

The subject matter is pretty crazy too. When the game first came out and I played it, I didn't bat my eye at the fact you're essentially playing as a group of environment terrorists. but I was 12 then and thought the muslims were going to kill us because clinton was bombing the middle east.

These days as an adult, the subject matter impresses me, from the terrorism to the brothels to the little in jokes.

I still think to this day that FF7 would be 1000 x the game it is if Sephiroth just died in the Kalm flashback, never came back, and Shinra was the main villain the entire story. Shinra was a great, diverse and interesting villain. Sephiroth, not so much.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
and every time I read this thread title I think of a donkey screaming "WIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
N64 fighting game intro
[youtube=560,345]FWGKRC1_83M[/youtube]

PS1 fighting game intro
[youtube=560,345]Yxrpyv8SNS4[/youtube]

Himu

« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:54 AM »
I'd have to say psx was over n64 in terms of graphic power. Maybe not so much graphic power, but the end result was something more impressive. Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy IX, Wipeout XL, Crash Team Racing, Fear Effect, Ridge Racer 4, Mega Man Legends, Tron Bonne...N64 didn't have games that looked nearly as good as those to me.

There was Zelda but for me that was the lone exception.

I guess the answer is that psx had a more diverse palette of games with more diverse art styles.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:08:29 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2011, 12:36:22 AM »
Damnit booger, I want to like you cus all we got is each other and I'll be fucked sideways before I ever buddy up with someone like Brandnew.  Cool it.

N64/psx is almost entirely totally unplayable garbage.  Lets see- shitty framerates, camera/3d controls in their painful infancy, load times, serrated edges on everything, dog shit textures, etc

The only games that I can still play to this day are mario 64 and the psx tony hawk games, and I'm not compelled too often to do that.
sad

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »
Damnit booger, I want to like you cus all we got is each other and I'll be fucked sideways before I ever buddy up with someone like Brandnew.  Cool it.

:'(

Just because I can tell when a shitty Zelda is shitty (PH) doesn't mean I aint still a Nintendo butt buddy
püp

« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2011, 01:26:27 AM »
Back to the original topic (i.e., Wii U), I think the console will be outstanding from what I've read. If Nintendo can somehow tailor the console to equally cater to developers and audiences from both sides of the gaming spectrum, I see no reason why they shouldn't remain at the top next-generation. The key is to not fall into the same trap that has victimized Nintendo and Sony in the past - that is, making the new console a mere extension in design and philosophy as the previous one but with a higher price tag. Make it different; make the hardware and the accompanying software different...unique.

Lastly and more importantly, develop new IPs and legacy characters. Much in the same way Disney expanded their character lineup from the Mickey Mouses and the Donald Ducks to the Alladins and Ariels and so on, generate a new cast of icons that are not simply spinoffs of the existing ones.

I've actually come up with some potential ideas for new Nintendo characters I've been storing on my computer for years now but I think I'll finally polish it up and share my ideas here. Will post my thread hopefully tomorrow.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »
The Wii is going to completely revolutionize FPS and adventure games. The graphics may not be great but developers will flock to the Wii to avoid going out of business making multi billion dollar games on the 360/PS3.

Can't wait for Pikmin 3! And a new Zelda has to be around the corner. The hardcore base will need some convincing, and Retro is probably making a Halo killer as I type this. I'm also interesting to see the new IPs Nintendo pursues with this new console. Miyamoto is probably salivating at the possibilities, and I can only imagine the joys his gardening will spawn for us gamers. The final half of this decade is going to be quite the ride

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2011, 03:13:50 AM »
Wii U's graphics look pretty tight:
http://i.imgur.com/F53F8.jpg

etiolate

« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »
the playstation's tiny 3d environs never made anything feel like 3d, and for that matter the playstation was always a glorified 2d machine to me. The games on ps most playable in this day n age are 2d. The N64 actually had 3d worlds and gameplay. Mario 64 and now Zelda oot have been brought back on different machines and still retain their visual look, managing to be appealing. I don't think you could do that with a playstation game that tried to be 3d then. I think you'd see a totally new engine for the game with areas based on the old ones, but looking/feeling totally different. The visual look would be gone.

Games like Gran Turismo worked well and were visually impressive. That game pushed the balls out of that system.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »
I really do wonder what a remake of FF7 would be like
püp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2011, 04:48:51 AM »
The worst thing age has done to FF7 is making the pre-rendered backgrounds look bad as resolutions have bumped up and you can't do anything with them even through emulation.

I just played through 7 and I would actually like a return of pre-rendered backgrounds. Maybe be a little more forward thinking by rendering said items at larger than needed size this time around and keep as an asset. I mean whats the point of rendering a lot of the gameworld when its mostly static and off in the distance? It would be cool to get that nice visual jump with character models and have scenery that isn't capable of being rendered in real time on current consoles.
:9

Damian79

« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2011, 04:58:39 AM »
Let me lay some manners on that list of yours, Booger :

1.) Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time
2.) Super Mario 64
3.) Super Smash Brothers (best one)
4.) Wave Race 64
5.) Perfect Dark

6.) Golden Eye
7.) Wrestlemania 2000 (or No Mercy)
8.) Rayman 2
9.) Banjo-Kazooie
10.) Jet Force Gemeni

11.) Starfox 64
12.) Sin & Punishment
13.) Blast Corps
14.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
15.) Mario Party
16.) Mario Kart 64

Was the N64 a piece of shit? Not if you throw in a load of old shit into your "above 10 'classics'"

Before anyone starts, i like some of the games i've slashed out - some i think are garbage (Mario Kart 64 is an abomination for one and Jet Force Gemeni has NO BIZNIZ being anywhere within a number of lightyears of this list. Even Star Fox is probably a bit debatable as i think the first one carries more weight. Mario Party was and always will be shit, S+P is good but massively over rated.

Hmmm - i wonder how putrid my N64 collection actually is?

You kept Mario 64 and Zelda 64 and cross out Wave Race 64 and Majoras Mask and SSB?

Mario 64 was the beginning of collectathons that alone should chuck it out the window as a good game.

Zelda 64 was the most boring Zelda to date aside from maybe TP.

Wave Race 64 was a graphical masterpeice and was a blast in multi and challenging too.  But people have differences so thats ok.

But the last two is unforgivable.  Why hate on Majoras Mask and SSB?  Atleast they tried something very new.  Its people like you that stagnate the industry with clone after clone of shitty games.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »
You can't cross out the AKI wrestling games man. They're still the gold standard for most wrestling fans*, and at this rate they'll never be beaten.

*fans who haven't been exposed to Fire Pro or King of Colosseum.

And PD > Goldeneye.
BiSH

SantaC

« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »

I don't know which I'd say aged better.  The N64 has better filtering and stuff, but the textures are soooooooo low-res and everything is so fucking blurry.  The PSX is sharp and has nice textures, but everything is really, really jaggy.  What I will say is games that looked great on each system still look great today with minor touch-ups (Mario 64, Zelda, Wipeout XL, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 9), but there's no saving games that didn't look very good.

that's because N64 were limited by small carts while PSX had CDs.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #337 on: June 19, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
:bow SUPAH SMASSSSH BRUuuughDAAASSSSSSSSS :bow2
:piss dcharlie :piss2:

Probably didn't have enough arbitrarily complex controls fo ya *coughstreetfightercough*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:21:59 AM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

Damian79

« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2011, 06:48:54 AM »
Majoras Mask might be a bit harsh, but SSB is seriously one of the worst series of games i've ever had the misfortune to play. Great, it tries something new - it's still shit.

I am stagnating the industry with clones of shitty games? come now. I bought a 64DD, was it my fault that sucked donkey dicks as well??

Buying shitty hardware and buying shitty software are 2 different things.  And Mario 64... I hated it.  Worst thing to happen to gaming in like forever for me.  It lead to garbage like SMS and SMG.

Convince me why SSB was a shitty game?  I am trying to figure out what was its problem.  At this point i am thinking you wanted th egame ot be like every other fighter and wanted virtua fighter mario style.

EDIT:  I still dont see what was wrong with it.  I can pinpoint why I hated mario 64, it was a shitty collectathon and had shit task based gameplay and the progress system sucked, advance the game through coin collection?  WTF?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:51:45 AM by Damian79 »

SantaC

« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2011, 07:55:46 AM »
XFE, crossing the AKI wrestling games off the list is a crime punishable by death.  They might be the only thing on that list yet to be made redundant by superior sequels.  They are to this day the most fun non-sexual time four people can spend together. 

Hunh, never noticed.  Always just thought the Nintendo was using some kind of Polish CDs or something.

didn't Resident Evil 64 look decent because it used 512megabit or something?

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
What's wrong with collecting coins/stars? It's just as arbitrary an end-point as jumping on a flag pole or running past a sonic board. I honestly don't get your complaint. If the task is getting from point A to point B to get the coin (flag pole, star,  whatever), then every Mario game ever is built on 'task-based' gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:33:54 AM by Herr Mafflard »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
STAR collection, coin collection was secondary (red coins) - unless my memory is going. One of hte stars was based on coins wasn't it?

each stage has 7 stars and 1 extra bonus star if you collect 100 coins,one of those 7 stars is collected by finding 8 red coins
<----

naff

« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2011, 09:09:07 AM »
XFE, crossing the AKI wrestling games off the list is a crime punishable by death.  They might be the only thing on that list yet to be made redundant by superior sequels.  They are to this day the most fun non-sexual time four people can spend together. 

Hunh, never noticed.  Always just thought the Nintendo was using some kind of Polish CDs or something.

N64 had common carts at 4 megabytes but had special, more expensive carts at 64 megabytes if needed, RE 64 used that among a few others. Still that's only 10% of the 640 mb PSX CDs and cartridges cost a lot more too
◕‿◕

Damian79

« Reply #343 on: June 19, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
What's wrong with collecting coins/stars? It's just as arbitrary an end-point as jumping on a flag pole or running past a sonic board. I honestly don't get your complaint. If the task is getting from point A to point B to get the coin (flag pole, star,  whatever), then every Mario game ever is built on 'task-based' gameplay.

Because with one you go to a different area by travelling the other you get to different areas by doing shitty quests or collecting coins etc.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #344 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
I dunno, feels like the same idea to me.

SantaC

« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

N64 had common carts at 4 megabytes but had special, more expensive carts at 64 megabytes if needed, RE 64 used that among a few others. Still that's only 10% of the 640 mb PSX CDs and cartridges cost a lot more too

thats the point 512mbit is 64MB

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #346 on: June 19, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
I'm not a particular fan of fighting games, i like the art and that's about it. SSB just bored me to tears. It's nothing to do with fighting game elitism and everything to do with a lack of entertainment.

Of all the games in the list, i at least LIKE all the others - but SSB just isn't for me.

Did you play it with others?  Also its one of the most customizable multiplayer experiences out there.  Between its modifiers and item set the games can be tailor suited to ~about anyone's~ tastes.  I really hope its not just cus nintendo characters you don't care about.  I don't give a flying fuck about Mother but Ness has been my main for just being fun to play as.
sad

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
smash brothers is mascot spazzery for the adhd set, it SHOULD revolt anyone with a mental age above 11
duc

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
smash brothers is mascot spazzery for the adhd set, it SHOULD revolt anyone with a mental age above 11

Sure, we all bought smash64 originally for the mascot pageantry.  We bought the sequels because it is incredible fun that has persisted.  The focus on the breadth of the nintendo portfolio lends itself well to creative stage types anyway.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
He also dumped on Blast Corps, which is grounds for death by snicker-snag.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #350 on: June 19, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
yeah, I think Aki wrestling, Blast Corps and Majora (wtf XFE) are all due for reinstatement into the canon

I mean, it's not like letting them back in will give the N64 10 good games
乱学者

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »

SSB - i didn't find the combat fun, it's just not for me - half the characters i couldn't give a flying toss about doesn't help. It just felt pointless and boring to me. I could go on about AI but that would be a lie, i never got to the point where i saw anything glitchy or annoying, i was simply bored by the action and the combat.

Convince me why SSB was a shitty game?

I don't need to convince anyone of anything and you don't need to convince me of anything - with the exception of why i'm the root of all the bad game evil! ;)

:bow
Drunk

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
The Nintendo 64 aged 10x better than the PlayStation.  The biggest reason is that stuff actually looked like what they were supposed to be, even with the vaseline vision applied to it.  The PlayStation just looks like a pile of jagged shit in comparison made somewhat tolerable by the occasional pre-rendered background.  It isn't even close.
🍆🍆

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
The Aki wrestling games were excellent but have since been surpassed by the superb KING OF COLOSSEUM and the boner inducing FIRE PRO RETURNS

Also: Resident Evil 2 was a 64 megabyte cartridge, but the cost of those things was so utterly obscene I can't imagine they made any real money on it. It's a helluva triumph of compression though.

I can't name any other 64MB games, can anyone else prove me wrong?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
[close]
fat

SantaC

« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »
conker was 64MB?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
That is what I am implying, yes.
fat

« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
DCharlie, I hope you compensate for your shit taste in games by having great taste in pussy. Otherwise, you're just fucked in the head, my man.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
what constitutes as great pussy?
fat

« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
what constitutes as great pussy?

The kind you hit so hard and fast it can whistle the Super Mario theme song after you pull out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:43:33 PM by Nintendosbooger »