Author Topic: Game  (Read 1098870 times)

magus

• LIKES FF7
Re: Weeooooooo
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
guys guys if nintendo doesn't pose arbitrary limitation,then there is no reason for homebrew and if there is no reason for homebrew,there is also no reason for hacking,so this can only be good

:bow nintendo :bow2
<----

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
:lol Nice logic

Never needing to pay for a Nintendo game ever again :bow2
◕‿◕

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
Nintendo: "want to watch a movie? go use one of the competition consoles!"
Drunk

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
At an extensive analyst Q&A during last week's E3 event, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata addressed concerns ranging from attracting core gamers to the Wii U to the system's online capabilities.

Iwata used the question and answer session to reiterate and strengthen many points from the Wii U's unveiling last Tuesday, including the company's desire for more support from third-party developers on the Wii U.

While the wide-ranging briefing focused on Nintendo's newly announced system, it also touched on the slow sales of the recently launched 3DS and slowing sales for current Wii hardware.

Here are some key takeaways from a transcript of Iwata's remarks provided by Nintendo.

On Wii U's Online Capabilities

"What I have come to feel lately is that the idea of saying, 'we are going to create this style of online structure and that we would like you, the developers, to fit into the online structure that we are creating' is perhaps already out-of-date. I think that Nintendo's past console business has often included this idea of a set and fixed online structure. So, I think that, going forward, the question is really to what degree Nintendo can create a more flexible system for its consoles."

"And, what we found at this point is that, as we discuss the online structure with different publishers, the things that the different publishers want to do are in fact seemingly rather different. Our current direction is how we can take the desires of the third parties and create a system that's flexible enough to enable them to do the types of things that they might want to do."

On Attracting Both Casual And Core Players To The Wii U

"We believe novice players, who started playing games as casual players (since there is no one who is inherently a core gamer), come to have a budding interest in games and spend a greater amount of time with gameplay so that they mature into core gamers. What we have tried to do with the Wii U console is to create an environment where we can break down the barrier that exists between those two groups and provide, on a single console, an experience that will satisfy both types of users. Through that process we continue to expand the gaming population."

On Transitioning The Market From Wii To Wii U

"Because the majority of the people who will purchase the Wii U system initially already own the Wii system, I don't think that the information about the Wii U system launch taking place next year will affect the sales of the Wii system. Of course, the ideal scenario for Nintendo would be that if people are considering purchasing another HD video game console, then knowing that they will have opportunity to purchase Wii U when it is released next year, they perhaps might delay their purchase of a console."

On Attracting Third Party Titles To The System

"Within the current environment, there are a number of the companies that are spending a significant amount to create these first-person shooters but, with the graphics capabilities of the Wii hardware, we have not been able to get them to create Wii versions of key franchises, and they have developed few games of that genre with Wii as the primary gaming console."

"So, some of the hardware limitations that have been a hurdle for those developers to create their games on our console, are going to melt away when we move to Wii U because it is an HD system."

On How Nintendo Will Cooperate With Third Party Developers

"There are some [situations] where we can offer [third-party developers] support or where we can divide up some responsibilities and cooperate in that sense. There is also the ability to cooperate from the marketing standpoint."

On Relative Sales Expectations For Wii U

"Of course, I understand that it will not be easy for the new console to surpass Wii in sales. But we do believe that this is a challenge that we can take head-on, and if we didn't believe that, then we wouldn't be proposing this style of new system."

On Deciding Not To Include DVD Playback Capabilities In The Wii U

"Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

On Connecting To Outside Social Networks

"After examining the penetration and adoption rate of social networking services like Facebook, etc., we've come to the conclusion that we are no longer in a period where we cannot have any connection at all with social networking services."

"Rather, I think we've come to an era where it's important to consider how the social graph of the social networking services can work in conjunction with something like a video game platform."

On Turning Around The Slow Initial Sales For The 3DS

"What we have analyzed up to this point is that the initial move by the early adopters has not translated into broader movement by the broader market in the ways that we had expected."

"The current situation resulted from the fact that the delay of developing Nintendo 3DS software and launching online services, like Nintendo eShop, 3D video services and so forth, occurred simultaneously, so we could not meet people's high expectations that they had before its launch, and we did not see momentum after the launch."

"I think that we'll be able to show you that as Nintendo eShop and 3D video services come online, and a number of key software titles become available, we'll be able to regain momentum for this hardware."

On Competition From Mobile And Social Games

"Personally, I don't feel that there is competition or threat from mobile games for our video game business from the sense that, even before mobile games appeared, it's always been the nature of our job to continue to offer new experiences that players can't have on other devices, and that, as long as we can continue to do that, the consumer will want to play our games, but what we are sensitive to is the notion of the sense of value and what consumers are willing to pay for games."

On The Possibility Of Using Two Touchscreen Wii U Controllers At Once

"Regardless of the technical question as to whether or not we could do that (use two of the new controllers), for the time being, we will focus on what we can do with a single new controller with the system."

"In the future, we may look at what other opportunities there are for gameplay and, how having two of those controllers might create fun or interesting new styles of play, but of course in doing that, it would require a consumer to purchase an additional controller. Therefore, we would need to carefully consider how we could create such an experience and, potentially, how we could ensure that there would be enough value within that experience for the consumer to accept that cost and make that purchase."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35259/Iwata_Addresses_Wii_U_Questions_Hints_At_Online_Service.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
"Regardless of the technical question as to whether or not we could do that (use two of the new controllers), for the time being, we will focus on what we can do with a single new controller with the system."

So, no.
©ZH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
"What I have come to feel lately is that the idea of saying, 'we are going to create this style of online structure and that we would like you, the developers, to fit into the online structure that we are creating' is perhaps already out-of-date. I think that Nintendo's past console business has often included this idea of a set and fixed online structure. So, I think that, going forward, the question is really to what degree Nintendo can create a more flexible system for its consoles."

"And, what we found at this point is that, as we discuss the online structure with different publishers, the things that the different publishers want to do are in fact seemingly rather different. Our current direction is how we can take the desires of the third parties and create a system that's flexible enough to enable them to do the types of things that they might want to do."

I hate stupid ass comments like these.  Xbox Live, Steam, and to a much lesser extent, PSN, have already established large scale successful online networks.  The fact that Iwata can't be direct about this means that Nintendo will have some stupid ass alternative that punishes consumers and non-Nintendo publishers alike.  Sounds like fun!

"So, some of the hardware limitations that have been a hurdle for those developers to create their games on our console, are going to melt away when we move to Wii U because it is an HD system."

lawl

Wii U will be made archaic when the Xbox 3 and PlayStation 4 come out.  Wii U will be left with low grade FPS titles like Red Steel and The Conduit.  There will be a brief time frame (1-2 years) where the Wii U will overlap.  Even then, I don't expect people to play the latest dudebro game on the Wii U when they already own a 360 and will get the next Xbox (which information will be out and plentiful before the Wii U launches).

"There are some [situations] where we can offer [third-party developers] support or where we can divide up some responsibilities and cooperate in that sense. There is also the ability to cooperate from the marketing standpoint."

Translation: We're going to be the same exclusionary pricks like we have been for over 25 years.  Have fun with Carnival Games 5, fuckers!

"Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

I was going to buy the Wii U but I realized I already own other HD systems and I can play HD games on that instead.  Thanks Nintendo for establishing this kind of logic!  You've saved me money and the inevitable pain of owning a system that is a virtual desert like the 3DS.
🍆🍆

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
Be honest experiment, how many things in your abode play dvds?
sad

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2011, 06:07:29 PM »
Be honest Emcee how many devices do you own that already play Darksiders 2?

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
Who gives a shit about mcfarlane caliber crap like Darksiders, kozzy?
sad

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »

Be honest Emcee how many devices do you own that already play Darksiders 2?

no reason to buy a wiiu! :)
<----

Trent Dole

« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
The only reason to buy a Wii U is if you like Nintendo's franchises. There'll be the odd cool third party thing like every N home machine from the 64 on but don't expect it to be viable as your primary/sole gaming platform.
Hi

naff

« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
Don't lie Magus. You know you want another generation of Nintendo's whimsy

Got a hacked Wii? Make that 2.

Weeooo could be a pretty cheap blu-ray player
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:13:19 PM by quietID »
◕‿◕

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
wait darksiders 2 is coming to the wii?

Don't lie Magus. You know you want another generation of Nintendo's whimsy

oh sure,but after owning a wii if the choice is between "nintendo whimsy" and "everything else" damn straight i'm going to pick everything else
<----

naff

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
:lol fucked that up. Replaced with DVD quote
◕‿◕

Damian79

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
It would add $50 to the price.  I dont need bluray for movies.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

Bullshit.  If Nintendo announced that they'd be putting in Bluray movie capability in Wii U, you'd be shitting your Pampers in excitement.  Don't lie to us.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
I already have a blu-ray player so meh
püp

Damian79

« Reply #258 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »

Bullshit.  If Nintendo announced that they'd be putting in Bluray movie capability in Wii U, you'd be shitting your Pampers in excitement.  Don't lie to us.

I watch movies on my pc for free.  :/

naff

« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

I bought a PS3 at launch and I still don't care about blu-ray, I've bought a couple movies on blu-ray and it's nice and all, but in general I don't buy disc based media unless I have to  ;) If it's saving Nintendo $5 usd+ per console (it is) it's probably a good move. I doubt things like this will change whether or not their console gets hacked anyway
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #260 on: June 15, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
I am getting a really weird apologetic vibe from Nintendo on all of their comments. This may not turn out well

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #261 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
I am getting a really weird apologetic vibe from Nintendo on all of their comments. This may not turn out well

please understand
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:19 AM »
kotaku

According to a Wii U white paper published by Hit Detection, the consulting company founded by former Newsweek journalist N'Gai Croal, the kits in developers' hands are just not up to current-gen snuff, but they are working.

Developers have underclocked development kits, and worked hard to deliver titles running on that hardware to demonstrate live at E3. However, due to titles not looking much better than what is currently available on Xbox 360 and the PS3, Nintendo decided late in the game to not show those titles and focus instead on tech demos. In particular, THQ stated that Darksiders II was running on development hardware and could have been shown. Also, Epic vice president Mark Rein tweeted during E3 that Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines was being made for Wii U with Unreal Engine 3, showing that Epic is bringing its tech to Wii U.

please understand
cat

naff

« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
:lol If you're going to get all macho about the 3 big console companies, Sony #1 crazy big cojones talking shit saying stupid shit and making whacked out over the top hardware is their game, if they end up being profitable it almost seems like a happy accident, #2 MS - they throw money around like water, if they can't buy it they'll copy it, they just throw exorbitant sums at problems until they're fixed and #3 Nintendo, rehashing tried and true franchises since the 80s with the occasional miyamoto brainfart to add to the canon, and they never sell hardware at a loss, personified they'd be the introverted  permavirgin dweeb who's good at saving money. Big cojones Nintendo does not have
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:50:32 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
The one thing for me that will be interesting is whether or not they'll get much 3rd party support this time. Yeah, I saw that list of devs, I'm sure everyone will get their feet wet. What I want to know is will there be another rush to make Wii U software if the launch goes well, regardless of the games applicableness to the hardware.

Nintendo has had a lot of luck post-gamecube deciding that the easiest way to win the race is to be the only one running in it. They're not playing catch-up with MS and Sony. Nintendo is not even making consoles which can easily deal with the INPUT from those other games' controllers, let alone the graphics/processing needs. They're making consoles which can really only run games designed completely for them... or, I suppose, games from 3 or 4 generations ago, if we want to look at the ability to run NES/SNES stuff with the default controller.

However, anyone else trying to make games usually starts from a cross-platform mistake and fails, or they make a crap game based on a very conservative ROI. Meanwhile, Nintendo first party stuff continues to sail on, on waves of scrilla.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #265 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
You guys forget that porting games while not super expensive still costs moolah, and if you sell shit you ain't gonna bother with the time if the return is tiny or negative.

And Nintendo owners have shown time and time again, they do not care about third parties core titles.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:52:06 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #266 on: June 16, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »
Let's not even get into how many of those are multiplat  ;)

The 41 Nintendo 64 games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

Super Mario 64 (11.62 million)[1][2]
Mario Kart 64 (9 million)[3]
GoldenEye 007 (8 million)[4][5]
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (7.6 million)[6]
Super Smash Bros. (5 million)[7]
Diddy Kong Racing (4.434 million approximately: 3.78 million in US and PAL,[8] 653,928 in Japan)[9]
Pokémon Stadium (3.971 million approximately: 3.16 million in US,[10] 710,765 in Japan,[9] 100,000 in UK)[11]
Donkey Kong 64 (3.77 million approximately: 2.67 million in US,[10] 1.1 million in Japan)[12]
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3.36 million)[6]
Star Fox 64 (3.325 million approximately: 2.76 million in US,[10] 565,222 in Japan)[9]
Banjo-Tooie (3 million)[13]
Pokémon Snap (2.718 million approximately: 2.22 million in US,[10] 498,155 in Japan)[9]
Perfect Dark (2.5 million)[5]
Mario Party 2 (2.33 million approximately: 1.26 million in US,[10] 1.07 million in Japan)[12]
Banjo-Kazooie (2.256 million approximately: 1.85 million in US,[10] 405,944 in Japan)[9]
Pokémon Stadium 2 (2.15 million approximately: 1.14 million in Japan,[12] 1.01 million in US)[10]
Wave Race 64 (2.105 million approximately: 1.95 million in US,[10] 154,682 in Japan)[9]
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (2.008 million approximately: 1.98 million in US,[10] 28,038 in Japan)[9]
Yoshi's Story (1.953 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[10] 852,846 in Japan)[9]
Mario Party (1.944 million approximately: 1.23 million in US,[10] 714,358 in Japan)[9]
WCW/nWo Revenge (1.88 million in US)[10]
Star Wars: Episode I Racer (1.798 million approximately: 1.71 million in US,[10] 87,826 in Japan)[9]
Mario Tennis (1.76 million approximately, 1.1 million in Japan, [12] 669,958 in US)[14]
Cruis'n USA (1.68 million in US)[10]
Mario Party 3 (1.64 million approximately, 1.02 million in Japan, [12] 624,468 in US)[14]
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (1.634 million approximately: 1.59 million in US,[10] 44,337 in Japan)[9]
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (1.611 million approximately: 1.07 million in Japan,[12]541,600 in US)[14]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1.61 million in US)[10]
Hey You, Pikachu! (1.46 million approximately, 744,870 in Japan, 721,720 in US)[14]
Pokémon Stadium (Japan) (1.37 million in Japan)[8][12]
WCW vs. nWo: World Tour (1.3 million in US)[10]
1080° Snowboarding (1.254 million approximately: 1.23 million in US,[10] 23,908 in Japan)[9]
WWF No Mercy (1.19 million in US)[10]
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (1.154 million approximately: 1.14 million in US,[10] 13,683 in Japan;[9] 1.4 million shipped)[15]
WWF WrestleMania 2000 (1.14 million in US)[10]
The World Is Not Enough (1.08 million in US)[10]
Namco Museum 64 (1.04 million in US)[10]
Mario Golf (1.005 million approximately: 534,283 in US, 470,779 in Japan)[14]
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside (1 million)[16][17]
Pilotwings 64 (1 million)[18]
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1 million)[17

Nintendo GameCube games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (7.21 million)[1]
Mario Kart: Double Dash (7 million approximately)[2]
Super Mario Sunshine (5.9 million)[2]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (4.6 million)[2]
Luigi's Mansion (2.639 million approximately: 2.19 million in US,[3] 348,918 in Japan,[4] 100,000 in UK)[5]
Animal Crossing (2.321 million approximately: 1.68 million in US,[3] 641,300 in Japan)[4]
Mario Party 4 (2.003 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[3] 902,827 in Japan)[4]
Metroid Prime (2 million)[6]
Pokémon Colosseum (1.806 million approximately: 1.15 million in US,[3] 656,270 in Japan)[4]
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (1.732 million approximately: 1.44 million in US,[3] 192,186 in Japan,[4]100,000 in UK)[5]
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (1.64 million approximately: 1.23 million in US,[3] 409,600 in Japan)[4]
Resident Evil 4 (1.6 million)[7]
Mario Party 5 (1.505 million approximately: 807,331 in US,[8] 697,462 in Japan)[4]
Sonic Mega Collection (1.453 million approximately: 1.38 million in US,[3] 72,967 in Japan)[4]
Resident Evil (1.35 million)[7]
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (1.25 million)[9]
Resident Evil Zero (1.25 million)[7]
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (1.223 million approximately: 1.03 million in US,[3] 192,802 in Japan)[4]
Super Mario Strikers (1.2 million)[9]
Pikmin (1.18 million approximately: 680,000 in US,[10] 507,011 in Japan)[4]
Kirby Air Ride (1.172 million approximately: 750,000 in US,[11] 422,311 in Japan)[4]
Soulcalibur II (1.099 approximately: 1 million in US,[3] 99,256 in Japan)[4]
Star Fox Adventures (1.08 million approximately: 800,000 in US,[12] 259,069 in Japan)[4]
Mario Party 6 (1 million)[13][14
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:58:45 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #267 on: June 16, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
This is a list of Wii video games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies, sorted in order of copies sold. As of March 2011, there are 103 Wii video games that have sold over 1 million units

Wii Sports (76.76 million)[2]*
Wii Sports Resort (27.68 million)[2]*
Wii Play (27.38 million)[3]*
Mario Kart Wii (27.00 million)[2]*
Wii Fit (22.61 million)[3]*
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.94 million)[2]
Wii Fit Plus (18.49 million)[2]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (9.48 million)[3]
Super Mario Galaxy (8.84 million)[4]
Mario Party 8 (7.6 million)[5]
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (7.09 million)[6]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.36 million)[2]
Wii Party (5.77 million)[2]
Just Dance 2 (5 million)[7]
Donkey Kong Country Returns (4.98 million)[2]
Link's Crossbow Training (4.80 million)[3]*
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (4.52 million)[8]
Just Dance (4.3 million)[9]
Animal Crossing: City Folk (3.38 million)[4]*
Wii Music (2.65 million)[4]
Super Paper Mario (2.28 million)[8]
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million)[8]
Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition (2.24 million)[2]
Michael Jackson: The Experience (2 million)[7]
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2 million)[10]*
Deca Sports (2 million shipped)[11]
Game Party (2 million shipped)[12]
Monster Hunter Tri (1.9 million)[13]

Punch-Out!! (1.86 million)[14]
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)[15]
EA Sports Active (1.8 million)[16]
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.8 million)[13]
Mario Strikers Charged (1.77 million)[8]
Kirby's Epic Yarn (1.59 million)[2]
Mario Sports Mix (1.54 million)[2]
Carnival Games (1.5 million)[17]
Guitar Hero World Tour (1.334 million)[18]*
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (1.31 million)[8]
Epic Mickey (1.3 million)[19]
Mario Super Sluggers (1.26 million)[4]
Pokémon Battle Revolution (1.202 million approximately; 850,000 in North America and Western Europe,[20] 352,123 in Japan)[21]
Rayman Raving Rabbids (1.2 million)[22]
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.2 million)[13]
Sonic and the Secret Rings (1.2 million)[22]
We Ski (1.2 million)[23]

Big Beach Sports (1.2 million shipped)[24]
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (1.03 million)[25]
Call of Duty: World at War (over 1 million)[26]
Red Steel (1 million)[22]
Rock Band (1 million)[27]
Game Party 2 (1 million shipped)[12

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #268 on: June 16, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
Yeah they seem bit odd. But the picture is clear ;)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #269 on: June 16, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
Wii music sold 2.5M units?

:rofl
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »
Yeah,not sure about 2.5M but it sold a lot.
cat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
kotaku

According to a Wii U white paper published by Hit Detection, the consulting company founded by former Newsweek journalist N'Gai Croal, the kits in developers' hands are just not up to current-gen snuff, but they are working.

Developers have underclocked development kits, and worked hard to deliver titles running on that hardware to demonstrate live at E3. However, due to titles not looking much better than what is currently available on Xbox 360 and the PS3, Nintendo decided late in the game to not show those titles and focus instead on tech demos. In particular, THQ stated that Darksiders II was running on development hardware and could have been shown. Also, Epic vice president Mark Rein tweeted during E3 that Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines was being made for Wii U with Unreal Engine 3, showing that Epic is bringing its tech to Wii U.

please understand

Xbox 330
乱学者

Sho Nuff

« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
Xbox 330

:bow Power of Xenos :bow2

Destroying the competition FIVE YEARS IN THE FUTURE

naff

« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
microsoft's balls are tiny and shriveled, i have literally never heard of someone being described as "having balls" just because they throw money around out of their fat wallet to solve problems... in fact, that's kind of the opposite of balls

:lol point taken. I'm still in awe of their purchasing power. 8.5 billion for Skype? pffft pocket change niqqas. And imo throwing Xbox at PS2 and 360 at the inevitable PS3 were more ballsy than Nintendo, a long time handheld maker, throwing the DS at Sonys new entrant.
◕‿◕

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
The thing is Microsoft never have much to lose.  Whether its msn, the zune, the xbox, etc. 

Discussing which corporation has the biggest metaphorical balls is kinda dumb though.  I'm sure to sony, outselling the competiton by magnitudes made them think they were the only brand in town.  Ps3 and psp made perfect sense to them.  Nintendo pretty much had no choice but to take a "risk".  With no mega parent company to fall back on, they don't have the benefit of losing money on cutting edge tech.  It made perfect sense to compete with novelty and ease of use and non intimidating control styles.  The original gcn controller had less buttons and no dpad for instance.  It was supposed to be their first foray into a simplified controller. 

I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore.  Perhaps that "risks" in corporate culture are actually predicated on whether you can afford to have a product fail miserably.  They are also predicated on the perception of the market through buying patterns and other research.  Microsoft could afford to throw money at it, ps2 success decided the ps3 strategy, Nintendo figured regular folks liked games as long as they weren't too demanding.  Hindsight something something
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
But then the Vita farts in my general direction.  So yeah, redoing the psp tactic again in an ios world expecting no profit in 3 years is kinda 'ballsy'

spoiler (click to show/hide)
or stupid
[close]
sad

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »
The original gcn controller had less buttons and no dpad for instance. 

nat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
The original gcn controller had less buttons and no dpad for instance. 

(Image removed from quote.)

No, thats the revised model that went into production.  The original gcn controller had a big red start button where the dpad was and no z trigger.  Possibly no b button either.
sad

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
i think you're making that up

'original' means the one that it launched with. that's the controller they launched with. prototypes dont count.
nat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »

'original' means the one that it launched with. that's the controller they launched with. prototypes dont count.

Semantics ain't worth crying over.  I can't copy and paste right now, but I did a google image search and it was literally the first result.  It changed to the controller as we knew it due to developer input.  Same deal with the nunchuck if I remember correctly.
sad

Trent Dole

« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
Gamecube controller was the best of its gen. Looked kinda dumb but fit in your hands perfectly. :bow
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »

Semantics ain't worth crying over.  I can't copy and paste right now, but I did a google image search and it was literally the first result.  It changed to the controller as we knew it due to developer input.  Same deal with the nunchuck if I remember correctly.

Semantics my ass. Hardware that's never shipped to consumers isn't "the original." Next you're going to show us sketches of even older, pre-fabrication GameCube controllers to back up your argument?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
kotaku

please understand

Xbox 330

The PS4/720 jump is going to obliterate the WiiU. The benefits of a company actually allowing a hit to be taken at launch vs. the sound and safe business decision of overvaluing 5 year old budget hardware. As a consumer I know which console I would want from a technical persepective. Sorry I don't feel any strong emotions towards Nintendos bottom line.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:03:53 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
BlueTsunami: Nintendo, please understand.

« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
Pretty amusing to see people sucking the dick of previous Nintendo consoles when, in their heydays, those consoles were getting regularly shiited on by the same sort of circle-jerking whoresons that post here. I have no doubt that in 8 years, these same mongrels will come together and exchange memories of the Wii in wistful, reverent tones.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:42:49 AM by Nintendosbooger »

cool breeze

« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
that's because the gamecube is compared to modern nintendo systems, not the xbox and ps2.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Pretty amusing to see people sucking the dick of previous Nintendo consoles when, in their heydays, those consoles were getting regularly shiited on by the same sort of circle-jerking whoresons that post here. I have no doubt that in 8 years, these same mongrels will come together and exchange memories of the Wii in wistful, reverent tones.

When the world is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, we'll think fondly about the time when all we had to complain about was bad movies, childish politics, and an anemic economy.
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
:lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
Its interesting that the only time the Wii will be seen in a good light is when nostalgia is factored. Nintendo lost.
:9

Trent Dole

« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
Sony wishes they could've lost the way Nintendo did with the Wii. :teehee
spoiler (click to show/hide)
They made a shitton of money but the machine's still ultimately a dissapointment.
[close]
Hi

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

:bow2
cat

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
"what was the name of that great game on the Wii?"

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
<----

« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

You mean like how I loved the N64 and the Gamecube during their respective eras? Cause I know I did, yet I don't think you know me so learn how to not be a little fuckshit, k?

Sure you did, big fella. I've had a Nintendo-based username since the N64 days, back when I was first cracking my knuckles on the IGN message boards. That, ole chum, is LOVE. Anyone who loved Nintendo games then, should love Nintendo games now. What, are you mad that Nintendo didn't continuously administer you the same handjob further into the deficient course of your awkward manhood?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
The last time Nintendo tried to do anything remotely interesting with their hardware was the N64, and they would have nailed it had they not cheaped out on the silicon. 4K texture buffer :derp

Oblivion

« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
LOL - the NES/FC and the SNES/SFC - THIS is when Nintendo rocked, see also Gameboy Advance.

The N64? jesus tittyfucking christ.

Think he meant from a technological standpoint.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #295 on: June 18, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »
My email is based off nintendo. Beat that... looooser
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »

You mean like how I loved the N64 and the Gamecube during their respective eras? Cause I know I did, yet I don't think you know me so learn how to not be a little fuckshit, k?

Sure you did, big fella. I've had a Nintendo-based username since the N64 days, back when I was first cracking my knuckles on the IGN message boards. That, ole chum, is LOVE. Anyone who loved Nintendo games then, should love Nintendo games now. What, are you mad that Nintendo didn't continuously administer you the same handjob further into the deficient course of your awkward manhood?

I've been a Nintendo fan since late 80's, bro. I played the NES to death. I had to have a N64 just for Super Mario 64 and I played that to death. I bought nearly every Nintendo game on the Gamecube and couldn't get enough of SSBM and Metroid Prime. I picked up a DS on Day 1 and played Super Mario 64 again and nabbed quite a few other games since. I bought a Wii on Day 1 and thought that the good times would never stop with the system launching with a Zelda games a lot of other really good Nintendo games coming within the next year and half. I was riding high in 2006-2007.

Yet, the Wii killed my interest in Nintendo. Right now I play Xbox360 games occasionally and just about everything else on the PC. I haven't cared about Nintendo in nearly two years and my interest in the Wii-U is practically zero. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:56:38 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
You are not a TRUE Nintendo fan Great Rumbler. Even when they stop catering to you, you must continue to show your loyalty by buying everything they release.
BiSH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
You are not a TRUE Nintendo fan Great Rumbler. Even when they stop catering to you, you must continue to show your loyalty by buying everything they release.

I was just lying to myself all those years. :fbm
dog

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

you are such a fucking dick