Author Topic: Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi/Whatever Warriors Thread  (Read 352644 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Warriors/Basara Thread: Switch Up To Fire Emblem!
« Reply #2220 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2221 on: January 11, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
Probably pick Hyrule Warriors up again.

Himu

« Reply #2222 on: January 11, 2018, 04:34:26 PM »
never played it. Now's my chance. Switch is shaping up to be a good Wii U port machine for those of us who weren't stupid enough to buy Wii U's.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2223 on: January 12, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
The day my DS copy of Hyrule Warriors arrives the Switch port is announced. :lol Figured this wasn't going to happen when they announced the Fire Emblem one. I'll just buy it again someday I guess!
Hi

Trent Dole

« Reply #2224 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:19 AM »

Each of the 90 playable people have their own ending? There's definitely going to be some overlap in cinematics and such.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2225 on: January 18, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
Hope it turns out well.  Am feeling more optimistic about the game now and will probably pick it up at launch.  Surprised to see that it is being released in English so quickly...I think it's less than a week after the Japanese version?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2226 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
This week’s issue of Famitsu had some new info on Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, including confirming the total roster of 29 characters, as well as confirming the inclusion of mid-battle character switching, which was introduced in Hyrule Warriors Legends. [Thanks, BlackKite on Twitter!]

The game will have all 29 characters from the base game and DLC of Hyrule Warriors Legends, as well as the characters’ various weapon playstyles. Definitive Edition also have features introduced in Legends, such as a now-fully-3D ‘My Fairy’ mode, and the popular character switching feature that was also present in last year’s Fire Emblem Warriors. However, the game does not have Fire Emblem Warriors’ pair-up mechanic.

Challenge Mode, where Ganon’s beast form was available to play as, was removed in Hyrule Warriors Legends, but is making a full return in this game.

ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2227 on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:53 AM »
Surprised to see that it is being released in English so quickly...I think it's less than a week after the Japanese version?
Yeah, the 8th in Japan and then the 13th for the US/EU including PC. :rejoice HW DE sounds pretty damn hype, didn't know Legends was missing something from the original version, DE is on the list when/if we Switch it up.
Hi

Bebpo

« Reply #2228 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »

Each of the 90 playable people have their own ending? There's definitely going to be some overlap in cinematics and such.

Is it weird that this looks super fucking bad to me?

Like wow, that's just what DW needed, COLLECT ITEMS TO CRAFT ITEMS
or shitty hunting
or running between bases
...and the environment graphics still kinda suck so exploring doesn't look particularly pleasing.

Basically it looks like a standard DW game with an ugly hub that's just gonna make stuff tedious and a bunch of terrible open world grind crap.

But yeah I'm not a musou expert like some of ya, so I might be wrong.

Himu

« Reply #2229 on: January 19, 2018, 02:09:58 AM »
I'll reserve my opinion for when it comes out. There are some elements that are concerning, but I don't want to be a negative nancy about it. It has potential, but it also might not work out. There are certainly some cool things I see like slowly taking over China's camps. That sounds fun. Ideally, it'd be best if it had a mix of Empires and regular DW in it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:14:12 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2230 on: January 28, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
I never mentioned anything about Gintama Rumble. 

Seems really solid!  Great, solid framerate and some old fashioned musou-style game play.  There's a shitload of story inbetween the levels and this is the negative for me, because it's told in still panels with a narrator.  Kind of reminds of the Arslan game.  But thankfully the gameplay segments are actually good.

This has kind of been pushed to the side with other releases and I'll get back into it soon.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2231 on: February 10, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Reading some bad things about Dynasty Warriors 9.  Mainly huge framerate issues on both the released Japanese PS4 version and preview versions on PC.  Bad enough to be deemed unplayable in some cases.  Note that this is on O.G. PS4s, not Pro.

Koei claims a patch is already in the works for the performance issues and there may be a "day one" patch for the U.S. release next week.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:09:13 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2232 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »
Wow.  :lol

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2233 on: February 10, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
However, to the contrary, here is the game on PS4 Pro:

PS4 Pro 4K 30FPS Gameplay, or "Movie" Mode

PS4 Pro 1080P 60FPS Gameplay, or "Action" Mode

Looks...pretty good on Pro? 
:idont

Definitely avoiding the PC version now, at any rate.  Will not buy day one like I did with Warriors All-Stars- someone else can take a gamble and see if it's good on Steam.  I'll get it on PS4.
ど助平

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #2234 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
Been getting back into Musou with a vengeance. Been binging hard on Hyrule Warriors the last couple weeks and am grabbing a copy of Dragon Quest Heroes 2 tonight. If I'm not completely burned out and the impressions are good I'll scoop up DW9 next.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2235 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
I saw some positive early impressions from some who got DW9 early.

But then you have people like Jim Sterling who think the game is a piece of shit.  I'll be very interested in seeing what Jim has to say about it tomorrow.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #2236 on: February 12, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
I hate that fat fuck Jim Sterling.

He looks like he eats some other dudes load out of his wife.

Trent Dole

« Reply #2237 on: February 13, 2018, 06:47:26 AM »
Jim is a genuine fan of the series so if he is down on it that's a bit worrisome. Giant Bomb have a 'quick look' of it up where they barely delve into the new mechanics and ponder how so many of these keep getting made. Again.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2238 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:43 AM »
He absolutely hates it and refers to it as "Dynasty Warriors Nein."  :lol

Am seeing other people posting positive impressions, so it may be a polarizing game.  But Jim has some pretty legit gripes here:

-The "open world" is a bland, lifeless, mostly-flat landscape with next to nothing to do.

-You run for miles and miles to get to what might be a one-minute fight, then run for miles and miles to another event.  Later you can fast-travel but it still feels incredibly tedious and like they spread out a smaller level to a huge, empty map for no reason.

-Unique weapons for a lot of characters have been removed (again!?  WTF, Koei?  :lol).  He does note that they do have unique animations for the same weapons, so characters at least don't all do the same attacks as each other.

-The new game play system is very "button mashy" and makes everyone feel the same.  You basically just mash a single button now.

-Everyone has a grappling hook, so walls and locked gates?  DOESN'T MATTER! You can just climb right over!  :lol
:dead

-Bad English voice acting.  Not DW3 LOL-bad...just bad.  Some actors don't even pronounce names correctly.

-He speculates that the missing 'unique' weapons from DW8 will probably be sold as DLC and if this happens, he's going to be very pissed off.

A lot of what he's describing and what I'm seeing gives off a major Dynasty Warriors 6 vibe, which is not a good thing.  Will keep checking out impressions and reviews today.  As of right now I'm actually seeing more positive than negative -Jim is the big negative one- and if it stays that way, I'll try the game.  Otherwise I'm just gonna return it and wait to see what happens with updates or a new version down the line.

Oh, and PC version is shit, confirmed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:43:09 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2239 on: February 13, 2018, 07:38:17 AM »
Jim is a genuine fan of the series so if he is down on it that's a bit worrisome. Giant Bomb have a 'quick look' of it up where they barely delve into the new mechanics and ponder how so many of these keep getting made. Again.

It's hard to argue with Giant Bomb saying that with how a lot of recent games have turned out.  Fire Emblem Warriors is the best of the recent releases by far (can't comment on DW9 yet!).
ど助平

BobFromPikeCreek

Re: Warriors/Basara Thread: Dynasty Warriors...Nein?
« Reply #2240 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:41 AM »
Oof that Jimpressions... Yeah, doesn't really sound like it focuses on the stuff I like about Musou.
zzzzz

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #2241 on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
Yeah there was no way the open world was going to be interesting with that engine and no budget

A shame, time to make another Orochi Musou

kingv

« Reply #2242 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

It's hard to argue with Giant Bomb saying that with how a lot of recent games have turned out.  Fire Emblem Warriors is the best of the recent releases by far (can't comment on DW9 yet!).

Is fire emblem better than Zelda? I want to try a Musou, but not sure which one to start with.

archie4208

« Reply #2243 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
FE:W is a better game, but the roster is less interesting.  HW is still my favorite game because I'm a giant Zelda mark and the fan service is 10/10.  The Switch version of HW is supposed to carry over some improvements from FE:W which will probably make it the best Warriors game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2244 on: February 13, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

Is fire emblem better than Zelda? I want to try a Musou, but not sure which one to start with.

Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors (Legends, the 3DS version and the one coming to Switch) are pretty similar to each other.  I would pretty much call Fire Emblem the "sequel" to Hyrule Warriors, but like Archie said, the roster is less interesting in that there's less character variety.  Hyrule Warriors has a more diverse roster and also some nice little 'Zelda' like touches thrown in.  You can't go wrong with either game and fundamentally both are more classic-style musou and would be good starter choices. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:45:23 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2245 on: February 13, 2018, 11:33:12 PM »
Very early initial Dynasty Warriors 9 impressions.  Noting that I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and with hard difficulty.  Might switch to chaos.

-Do not even attempt to play this on "Movie" mode.  Just don't.  The framerate is atrocious and borderline unplayable.

-"Action" mode seems fine on Pro for the most part.  Is it 60 FPS?  LOL, no.  But playable.  I did however see it dip to a ridiculously low level when I rushed into a battle.  It was still playable, but noticeable low.

-I both get and do not get a Dynasty Warriors 6 vibe from this game.  It being similar in that this is kind of like Omega Force starting over again with new mechanics and gameplay systems, and not similar in that so far, at least...I like the game.  It's not jaw-droppingly awesome and is very rough around the edges (total musou-jank), but it's actually been fun to play.

-Combat has kind of been reworked and there's still enough attack combos to pull off.  It is simply done differently than before.  You hold down R1 to bring up a modifier list that allows you to choose different type of attack follow-ups using the face buttons.  It also appears that you can change these up with moves earned or items crafted.  It's actually pretty awesome how you can chain together multiple square and R1+button attacks, then run up to the enemy when they get knocked back and keep right on doing it.  Really makes your character look like a bad-ass. 

-Total menu/stat overload.  There is a LOT of information coming at you at once, especially when you start playing. 

-Movement feels pretty good for a Koei musou.  You can roll, (double) jump, lock-on with R3 and circle-strafe officers, musou attack, guard/strafe, use available items like health power-ups, and call your horse. There's also a focus on countering using triangle now.  When not in combat, holding R1 will let you run and tapping it uses a grappling hook to climb over walls.  I got a bit of a wire-fu kung-fu movie vibe when running and jumping between rooftops in towns, too.

-You can run pretty quickly (and your horse runs even quicker), although you have a stamina meter, so it's not infinite.  This combined with fast travel doesn't seem too bad, but I still found myself taking a minute or two to run through barren land towards the first major battle, which made me chuckle.  I can see this getting annoying.

-When traveling, you can hit L2 to auto-run with your horse and your character will move automatically to a set waypoint.  Helps to not feel so tedious when going to a far away destination, but I would have preferred an option to just teleport right to where a mission is.  So far I have encountered random little battles while traveling, so at least it's not entirely barren.

-Dunno how bad the English voices are because you get Japanese and Chinese voices too.  Tried Chinese and people sound into their roles for the most part.

-There's various crafting materials all over the map.  You just run over stuff to pick it up so it's not a big deal to get into crafting items.  But if you need to find something specifically, that can be annoying.  Had to run around for a little bit to find a specific ingredient to make an item for an NPC request, for example.  Still, if you have a location on the map, you can set a marker and arrows will point the way.

I'm not big on open-world games in general and would have preferred set maps/levels like most other Koei musou games, but this doesn't seem too bad.  They need to work on getting the framerate improved and I think it will be fine.  But again, these are very initial impressions so I might end up getting annoyed with other quirks or problems yet to come. 

It's cool to see them trying something different, but this game definitely lacks the polish of releases like Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, and Dragon Quest Heroes II.  If you're OK with trying something new and different, understand that it will lack polish and feel 'janky,' and have a Pro or XBone X, I'd give this a shot.  I don't want to recommend this to vanilla PS4 or Xbone owners based on early videos I've seen.  The framerate just looks awful.  And the jury is still out on PC AFAIK.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:56:28 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2246 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »

How did you do the side steps between each juggles? Just realized you could do that from this video. This changes everything.
which specific ones? The air ones? With fire wheels accessory, you can jump cancel any frame of your attacks, so if you airdash cancel and attack immediately you can do extended air juggles.
:gladbron :mynicca :whoo
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2247 on: February 14, 2018, 01:26:18 AM »
He absolutely hates it and refers to it as "Dynasty Warriors Nein."  :lol
He's so angry he's doing The Jimquisition on KT this Monday! :dead The slowdown he showed at the end of the impressions video on Pro is pretty ridiculous but that's DW for ya. This looks like a regression in some ways while being a new thing in some others. It's been a while since we've had a mainline DW game but the main team hasn't been working on this the entire time, they were on the Nintendo Warriors projects etc. Looks like it's a wait for a sale kind of game, I gave them the full entry price for All Stars expecting it to be the new Orochi (lol NOPE aside from it being a uber crossover game).
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2248 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
They released a patch already:

Will be interesting to see if this actually helps with performance on anything.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2249 on: February 14, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
 Saw DW9 took like a 50%+ hit in sales in Japan. If the open world gambit doesn't attract more WW sales, mainline series is kinda fucked. Probably just some cheap expansions and focus on crossover games that sell instead for the next few years.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2250 on: February 14, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »
They should have just made Warriors Orochi 4 instead.  Has anyone given a shit about the mainline series in over a decade?  The last mainline DW game I really liked was the fifth one and that was 13 years ago.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2251 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »
Saw DW9 took like a 50%+ hit in sales in Japan.
:whoo

Maybe it will light a fire under someone's ass to get some better quality control going and stop the Omega Force sweatshop from cranking out so many games so quickly.

They should have just made Warriors Orochi 4 instead.

Unfortunately, we got Warriors All-Stars in place of that.  Another game that had major performance issues (way worse than DW9 IMO) on consoles.

Has anyone given a shit about the mainline series in over a decade?  The last mainline DW game I really liked was the fifth one and that was 13 years ago.

I've never really big that big on Dynasty Warriors and like their other series a lot more.  My favorites have been DW5 and DW8.  I actually would put DW9 over DW6 and DW7 right now. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2252 on: February 15, 2018, 01:39:13 AM »
Why do these games still have performance issues? The graphics aren’t particularly impressive. Can’t they just use UE4?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2253 on: February 15, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
To clarify the sales:
The PlayStation 4 version of Dynasty Warriors 9 launched at 117,495 first week sales in Japan and was the top selling new release last week, the latest Media Create sales reveal.

For comparison’s sake, Dynasty Warriors 8 for PlayStation 3 debuted at 203,224 sales, and Dynasty Warriors 7 for PlayStation 3 debuted at 253,090 sales.

Although Dynasty Warriors 9 was the top selling new release this week, it was still outsold by Monster Hunter: World for PlayStation 4, which moved an additional 159,613 units.

So it has been steadily declining with each new iteration.

Monster Hunter World is a juggernaut over there, holy shit- it's almost at two million units sold already. 

Why do these games still have performance issues? The graphics aren’t particularly impressive. Can’t they just use UE4?

I don't get it either.  In DW9's case, there are areas where there is a ton of shit happening and soldiers pouring into the battle area, so I can understand some performance hits, but not in general across the board.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #2254 on: February 15, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
Soooooo basically there's no point getting this if you only have a base PS4?  Love SW4 and it was pretty solid on there.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2255 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
Soooooo basically there's no point getting this if you only have a base PS4?  Love SW4 and it was pretty solid on there.

Dunno because of the patch they released yesterday.  Saw some people saying the framerate is a lot better, but the graphics took even more of a hit because of it.

Fire Emblem Warriors got new DLC last night.  I went to load it up this morning and check it out, and holy shit does Fire Emblem look and run so much smoother in comparison, lol.
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2256 on: February 16, 2018, 01:22:43 AM »
Quote from: Angry Steam Reviewer
Most devs makes patchs to fix issues, KOEI makes patchs to break and lock contents instead. now users cant enable chinese dubs even though the game data is all there, good job! Wish I could refund this game
:rofl

Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2257 on: February 16, 2018, 07:15:45 AM »
Wait...is he playing the PC version?  I thought it was the PS4 version.

Jim, you know better.   :doge
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:21:04 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2258 on: February 16, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
The first video was of the PS4 version.

archie4208

« Reply #2259 on: February 18, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
https://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition-has-an-event-scene-viewer-other-tidbits-and-new-screenshots/

Another new feature is the Item Card Shop. Item cards you’ve previously obtained in Adventure Mode can be purchased with rupees.
Another new feature is the Item Card Shop. Item cards you’ve previously obtained in Adventure Mode can be purchased with rupees.

GOAT musou confirmed

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #2260 on: February 18, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
https://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition-has-an-event-scene-viewer-other-tidbits-and-new-screenshots/

GOAT musou confirmed

Fuuuck I wish the Wii U version had this. Will rebuy for sure now whenever I get a Switch. Would've played so much more Adventure Mode if there weren't the Item Card grind.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2261 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Here's Jim doing an entire episode on Dynasty Warriors, as promised:

So much like before, I'm with him on things like tons of asset recycling, inexcusable performance issues, 'last-gen' graphics, etc.  The problem here is that all this stuff is as per usual for Koei musou and I just can't help but think that Jim made this video because he doesn't like DW9...and one of the big reasons he doesn't like DW9 is because they changed the weapon on his favorite character, something he mentioned more than once.  I played a bunch more of the game last night and I just don't agree with him.  DW9 is a highly-flawed game to be sure, but it's still fun.

Some crazy fucker also responded to this video with a death threat to Jim, btw.
:crazy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2262 on: February 20, 2018, 09:47:21 PM »
Depends on where you are and what is going on.  You might be in an open space with a few enemies or you might be inside some fortress walls with shitloads of them.  The craziest battle I've had so far was outside in a wide-open area, within the confines of a "base camp" sector.  Tons and tons of enemy generals kept pouring in.  In fact like Jim I may drop the difficulty down to normal, because holy shit do some fights take way too long on hard.

One thing that still hasn't been a problem for me is traveling around.  Just open the map and fast-travel to the closest spot, call the horse, ride to the destination, kick ass, rinse, repeat.  I've done just about everything big in the yellow turban rebellion chapter and now just need to go to the main castle and end it.  Tried this yesterday but the boss just wrecked me in like two hits.  :lol
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2263 on: February 21, 2018, 03:32:08 AM »
Nothing he says is actually wrong, musou is bad, viva musou. :-[
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2264 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:38 AM »
Went and re-purchased Dynasty Warriors 8 XL for PS4.  It is getting harder to find (at least new) and the price has increased a bit.  I got rid of it towards a trade-in for the PS4 Pro so I'm interested in seeing how it runs with boost mode.  I don't usually go back and buy older musou games but with 9 being such a different game I'd like to have both.  Would be more interested in Empires but I hate how it's a straight PS3 port that literally looks like a PS3 musou and has none of the visual boosts that 8XL got.   :-\

Nothing he says is actually wrong, musou is bad, viva musou. :-[

It's the last part.  He's not implying that anymore...it's like he had no problem with any of the stuff he talked about, for years, until DW9 got to him.  That's my problem with it all.  Like, dude...you love these games and didn't say anything before, but now suddenly the floodgates are open?  He basically went from "fuck DW9" to "fuck DW9 and all these games in general" in like a week. Come on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:22:14 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2265 on: February 21, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal came out today.  Is it musou?  Eh, close enough...if Basara is included in this thread, Senran can be too.   :P

Re:Newal is a remake of Senran Kagura (Burst), which is the first game in the series, for PS4.  The game originally came out on the 3DS and was a 2.5D beat-em-up.  This version of the game puts it in line with the other 3D versions on Sony platforms and in fact it pretty much feels like it could have just been an Estival Versus expansion pack.  Lots of re-used assets all over the place and some of the same stages are back as well.  The game does have different enemy types and so far even feels a little more difficult than the other games, which is a good thing.

The graphics look a bit better than the other games -currently am playing on a Vita with remote play but glanced at it on TV real quick- while the models look about the same, it looks like the environments and effects may have been improved a bit, plus there's some filtering going on that gives the game a softer, but cleaner look.

The big problem with this game is not with the gameplay...it's that Honey Parade Games/Marvelous got greedy.  The original Senran Kagura only had one school playable (5-6 characters) and Burst added their rival school for a total of 12 playable characters.  Then came Shinovi Versus on the Vita which added in two more schools and doubled that roster.  Estival Versus added some more characters including some DLC characters who unfortunately had no story modes of their own.

This time, there's stories and levels for the DLC characters and that's great.  But what sucks here is that they took characters who have been in the past Sony/PC platform SK games and made them DLC.  Like...WTF?  You get the main two schools from the original Burst and while initially they made it look like Yumi, added in Shinovi Versus, would be a bonus extra character, as it turns out both the other two main schools and possibly more characters on top of that are all in the game as paid DLC.  And that sucks.  It feels like they took the content from Estival Versus and cut it out just to re-sell it.
 :cmonson

This hasn't been announced for a western release yet, but I am sure it's coming since the trophies are already popping up in English.  I think this should be like $40 over here to account for all the DLC this is sure to have.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:34:04 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2266 on: February 21, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »
I kinda hope DW9 being a failure means more spinoffs. The spinoff series are fun even if it sometimes takes them a few games to get it right. Too bad Berserk Musou is probably not gonna get a sequel with the sales it got. Could use a One Piece Musou -> OPM2 update.

I'm guessing with the success of Zelda/FE, they probably have a team now devoted to only Nintendo franchise musou titles. Unfortunately I think some of their better talent are there, so who knows if they'll make a good non-Nintendo musou spinoff in the near future. Arslan and Berserk were not so good. DQ Heroes is ok.

Could use a quality FF musou.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2267 on: February 21, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
There has got to be multiple teams making these games and I wish we knew who did what games so that the mediocre or crappy ones could be skipped.  :doge

My thing with Berserk is that it was just average.  Nothing horrible, but nothing amazing either and since I didn't care about the source material, I dropped it pretty quickly.  Arslan, though.

Oh man, Arslan.  :-\

If you've ever seen the anime series that came out a few years back, it absolutely screamed "musou the anime."  This would be have been perfect for it.  So I went nuts when I saw that Koei was making a game.  Imported it and found it to be the biggest piece of shit that they've released in a long, long time.  Maybe the worst one period.  Could not believe that they fucked Arslan of all things up.
:mindblown

Dragon Quest Heroes is good/great overall.  I kind of waffled on the original being tower-defense oriented but the way you can use the monster coins makes it pretty fun in the end.  DQH II went action-RPG and that's pretty awesome, too.  I never did play through it and really need to already.

I'd be down for a Final Fantasy musou.  That could work.  I still think that they should do a Jump musou.  Make it play like Warriors Orochi and have three-man teams of characters mowing down bad guys from all kinds of manga.  A Goku/Luffy/Naruto team mowing down muthafuckaz and doing team attacks?  Fuckin' gold.  Insane sales.  DO IT KOEI.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2268 on: February 21, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
Cleared the Yellow Turban Revival in DW9.  Was playing the game via remote play on my Vita.  It actually looks great and runs smoother at 30 FPS that way.  :doge  I didn't notice that the main bad guy's throne room had these pots in it that were giving him extra power the first go-round.  Smashed them and he went down easily.  Then it unlocked a shitload of characters.

So up...some hours in and I'm still enjoying this.  Jim, what happened man, seriously?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2269 on: February 21, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
Jump anything would be great. Kinda a shame only got those DS games. Jump Fighter by Arc Sys = awesome. Jump Musou by Koei = awesome. Jump SRW = awesome.

Trent Dole

Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2271 on: February 27, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
DW9 got a big 'ol patch.

1.04:
    Eased the conditions for unlocking officers.
    Eased conditions for sending letters from Hideaways.
    Improved the movement of soldiers and officers during battle.
    Adjusted the price of items.
    Adjusted the positioning of clusters.
    Added Watchtowers and Waymarks.
    Adjusted the hit points of gates, weapons, and buildings.
    Corrected an issue that occurred rarely in which parts of some models would break.
    Corrected an issue in which unnatural weather occurrences would not revert to their original state.
    Corrected an issue that occurred rarely in which floodgates could not be opened during chapter 4 – “Reclaim Xiapi.”
    Corrected an issue concerning the display of some rivers.
    Corrected a number of other minor issues.

The Japanese patch notes added more clarifications to some of the fixes mentioned above.

On the conditions for unlocking officers (playable characters), it specifies that clearing the tutorial will unlock officers from the respective kingdoms. This means clearing it as Liu Bei will instantly unlock Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. Likewise, Cao Cao will unlock Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan, and Sun Jian unlocks Huang Gai, Cheng Pu, and Han Dang.
    On sending letters from Hideaways, this update patch will now enable the player to send letters to officers who are participating in battles as well.
    On the positioning of clusters, this patch will now make them respawn each time the player enters a new chapter.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2272 on: March 02, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but that recent DW9 patch seems to have made the game look a bit sharper and run at a more stable framerate (action mode) than before.

They weren't kidding about new characters getting unlocked much faster than before.  I loaded my game up and completed a quest, then got a ton of character unlocks.  Tried another faction and when I finished the first little 'tutorial' mission it also unlocked a crapload of characters- I went from having like three playable to 53.  :lol

Tried some other characters but it felt weird using them since their stories take place at different times.  It seems like a lot of them are basically locked to certain chapters and there's no free mode kind of thing to keep using them more.  That was a stupid design choice. 

Also dumb- I got some alternate outfits for some of the characters for pre-ordering the game.  Found out that they apparently cannot actually use these outfits when playing the game; you can only wear other clothes when inside the little villa-type houses you can buy and customize. WTF?   <<<< EDIT: This appears to be bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2273 on: March 02, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
Also dumb- I got some alternate outfits for some of the characters for pre-ordering the game.  Found out that they apparently cannot actually use these outfits when playing the game; you can only wear other clothes when inside the little villa-type houses you can buy and customize. WTF?
lmao, that's so pointless.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2274 on: March 02, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »
OK, wait a minute.

Wait, wait, wait.

This clearly shows some characters fighting in alternate costumes.  So somebody out there in Internetz land is full of shit.  Maybe it's just certain outfits (like the casual wear) that are restricted like that.
:huh

But I see no place to equip the alternate costumes so maybe you have to have a house purchased for everything?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2275 on: March 02, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
OK, you do need a house/hideaway to change equipped outfits in general.

Definitely a performance improvement:
Latest patch on PS4 fixed frame rate a little bit more, made some major QoL changes like the horse not bucking at zero stamina, officers and enemies move and attack more......A LOT more. I went into a base on PS4 and there was nearly 5 times more base and assault captains than before, counters work as intended now with enemies attacking more.

Overall we have had 3 patches since launch and it’s only got more and more on par to a standard warriors game. Honestly the stories and characters feel a but more fleshed out with how everything is told. Also battles are a bit more accurate due to map design.

Overall this is slowly turning into my favorite warriors game.

Koei is actually fixing this game with patches...for once.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Warriors/Basara Thread: Dynasty Warriors 9 Getting Better With Patches!
« Reply #2276 on: March 09, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition for Switch is getting localized and will be released in May!  One week before Hyrule Warriors.  :lol  This is the base game with all DLC and it looks and runs great on the Switch.

'Murica is getting it digital-only but Europe and Asia will get retail releases.  Guess I need to get rid of my Japanese copy now.

Hope they do the same thing with the other Switch musous...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:29:37 AM by bork »
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #2277 on: March 09, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
I would definitely get the port of Orochi 3 even more super ultimate or whatever the final expanded version is called since I've only played the 'base' version (which is still a pretty massive game) on 360.
Hi

MoxManiac

« Reply #2278 on: March 11, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »
How does it run on the Switch in portable mode?

I actually will probably rebuy OPW3 again to have it in portable form. It's funny because I loved the game despite knowing absolutely nothing about OP going in.
no

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2279 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »
How does it run on the Switch in portable mode?

I actually will probably rebuy OPW3 again to have it in portable form. It's funny because I loved the game despite knowing absolutely nothing about OP going in.

Runs fantastic.  Not a surprise because the Vita version also ran really well. 
ど助平