Author Topic: Giant Bombcast  (Read 139111 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Giant Bombcast
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
Man, Patrick is just getting worse and worse about talking over people and interrupting. He makes the podcast borderline unlistenable at times.

Yeah of the guys Patrick is the most likely to annoy me. He is also the hipster indie guy out of them which also tends to annoy me.

The worst part is when he's interrupting people he's usually droning on and on about a point he had already made.

He has young person's disease. That thing you have when you are younger where you earnestly want someone to share your opinion so you keep droning on and on instead of just making your point and letting it go. 

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »
I worked with Patrick on Gaming Age- he's a cool dude. Everyone has a chance to shut down someone talking too much- if the four other people choose not to, maybe they wanna listen
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

probably the most use Jeff's crazy game collection will ever get

MrAngryFace

« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
No real mention of borderlands 2 ever, wtf. Maybe it needed more FEELS.

That aside, great feature today: "YOU'RE MY NIGHTMARE!"
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
the day 4 podcast was pretty great- Drew dug in and I was kinda glad for it. Im at the point in ME3 discussions (which I thought was an ok game) where I NEED people to go into details as to what about ME3 makes it a bad game beyond 'ENDING SO BAD GRRR'
o_0

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
Im at the point in ME3 discussions (which I thought was an ok game) where I NEED people to go into details as to what about ME3 makes it a bad game beyond 'ENDING SO BAD GRRR'

If you want I could type up something :)
nat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
and I wouldn't read it- welcome to the internet! ;)
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
yeah, wtf at the borderlands 2 shutout
sup

MrAngryFace

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
their stance on borderlands 2 has been kinda weird since release- all will admit its a better game than the original in pretty much every way, and that its a great game, but then they get into this 'I dunno I just wish it was more' thing and then they dump on it- they did the exact same thing with Halo 4.

imo if you cant define the intangible its kinda not worth including in an argument but WHATEVER they don't care- most of their awards are a big ol sloppy TWD blowjob which I only LIKE- not love.  This year has been one of my least favorite in terms of game discussions. Lots of polarized bullshit and 'feels' that fuel them.
o_0

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
chalk it up to end of the generation fatigue.
nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
walking dead is loaded with unnecessary feels, those characters argue and blow up drama over every little thing like they're in a soap opera
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »
Jeff is the big borderlands guy. The rest of them were never into it as much. And for whatever reason Jeff wasn't into 2 as much as the original. I think he burned himself out overplaying the original too much.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
chalk it up to end of the generation fatigue.

Truth
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
I was a little bummed walking dead was allowed to fart in the best downloadable game category- there were some STRICTLY downloadable games in there- and I dunno if its up to TellTale to decide when download games as a genre is over
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
borderlands 2 has better writing than walking dead, too
sup

MrAngryFace

« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Yeah I mean its all videogame writing, but Borderlands 2 stuff is entertaining- however Jeff found most of it not funny so im not shocked its writing wasn't mentioned. He had this rant about handsome jack being an asshole and its like yeah that's the intent, youre supposed to hate him
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
but he totes grooves on gta "humor"   :wtf
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
The Walkind Dead and Borderlands 2 were my favorite 2 games of the year. So I'm cool with giving the walking dead a lot of love. Borderlands 2 was very great also. Enjoyed both for pretty different reasons.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Journey has the best writing in video games this year.

nat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
yeah jeff is a strange dude- its clear from his jar time subscriber feature that he's not insane, but people are just a fuckin paradox no matter how much they try to not be.
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
i was impressed that they took the blank slates from the first game and made them characters you actually liked and gave a shit about

spoiler (click to show/hide)
them feels when you had to go around and tell everyone roland was dead  :'(
[close]
sup

MrAngryFace

« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
I never played journey so I dunno much about that- just didn't look like a game for me. Seems to be getting a lot of nods
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »
i was impressed that they took the blank slates from the first game and made them characters you actually liked and gave a shit about

[close]

I had more feels when
bloodwing died- what a bro
[close]
o_0

Stoney Mason

« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
The writing and story of Borderlands 2 were surprisingly good and funny all around. I was kinda shocked at that considering I thought the first was awful in that regard.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »

[close]

really? because i didn't give a single fuck about any of those dudes. I played through all of BL1 and had no idea who or what Bloodwing was during that mission.

nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »
"Borderlands 2 was frat humor, base-level pandering dick and fart jokes which tried too hard. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go hang out at TW@T for a while and then watch some hilarious TV show parodies in my apartment."
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

[close]

really? because i didn't give a single fuck about any of those dudes. I played through all of BL1 and had no idea who or what Bloodwing was during that mission.

I agree with eel. I thought it did a great job of turning those people into characters. It didn't really matter if I cared about about bloodwing or not. It was clear that mordecai did and that handsome jack was an evil funny dick.   

I think claptrap is the perfect example. He was awesome in this game. In the first I honestly didn't get the character or what was supposed to be funny about him.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:28:56 AM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
alternatively, i didn't give much of a shit about anyone in walking dead, most of them came off as histrionic assholes except for lee and clementine

couldn't wait for kenny to die
[close]
sup

MrAngryFace

« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
Walking Dead is cool- I don't really side with folks saying the writing was amazing or omg the feels, but I don't really side with folks saying the writing is shit blah blah. Its probably the best use of a license in ages, and Telltale showing people that Jurassic park was an accident, not evidence of something far worse. I think they did some interesting stuff with character choice that went some way in showing larger devs like bioware how its done- but yeah I dunno. Im not against it getting mad props, but its kind of a shame its getting the good as both a 'small download game' and 'box release'. Seems to be shutting some of the smaller download only efforts out of getting deserved mentions.

But again, they don't care and neither should I, really.
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
i liked walking dead fine

i just think borderlands 2 is one of those rare big releases that is pretty quality from start to finish, and it's kind of mystifying that it didn't appeal enough to at least one of them to include it

i thought the first one was kind of a chore, personally, so my expectations were fairly low going in, but i ended up with 100 hrs into BL2 (so far)
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
I was the most immersed in the walking dead of any video game I played this year. I cared about a particular character more in that game than any game of the year. And I loved being in that universe with characters I liked or didn't like more than any other game. I eagerly awaited every single episode of that game to drop so I could continue the story. I personally totally get why the walking dead is getting the accolades. It revived that company, made them relevant, was a huge surprise hit for most people which rarely happens any more in a market where hugely hyped games make all the waves.

The choice based decisions in the moment are the best in a game in quite awhile. You can deconstruct it of course and pick it apart but I think your first gut impression is the most important when talking games and I loved how they structured and handled that stuff. opinions and all but I have no issues with the walking dead taking awards although I could understand it not being an individual's goty or cup of tea.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Im not against it getting mad props, but its kind of a shame its getting the good as both a 'small download game' and 'box release'. Seems to be shutting some of the smaller download only efforts out of getting deserved mentions.

Agree here. There are some awesome truly downloadable games like mark of the ninja, trials evolution, etc being overlooked because either the walking dead or journey are going to sweep these categories. The walking dead isn't really a typical downloadable game with a tiny budget, and journey is just over-rated imo but whatever.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »
yeah, its mostly just an 'ok I guess' kinda thing- I mean most of their best of list this year is nonsense which is awesome cause wtf SHOULD any of this matter, but still somehow im catchin feels!

iirc journey was booted because its on disc, but so is TWD, but they argued that the game is enhanced because of the anticipation created by its episodic nature- which raises the question as to whether or not its as good a game as a single box release right? ;)
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »
Walking Dead and Journey are two games I liked (a lot) but the overwhelming reaction from the gaming press left me feeling lost.  Not saying 'overrated' to downplay the quality.  It's just wild how much those games resonated with people who, frankly, play too many video games.  Something fresh or pallet cleansery about them.  Fez too, for giantbomb at least.

I haven't played most of the 'big budget' games to know if it's just fatigue or they're just not as good as the smaller games.  I enjoyed the few big games I played this year.  Still, Hotline Miami is probably my favorite game I played this year, but it's nothing to do with its budget or release.  It's just the most fun I had playing a game this year.  Or Legend of Grimrock.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Walking Dead and Journey are two games I liked (a lot) but the overwhelming reaction from the gaming press left me feeling lost.  Not saying 'overrated' to downplay the quality.  It's just wild how much those games resonated with people who, frankly, play too many video games.  Something fresh or pallet cleansery about them.  Fez too, for giantbomb at least.

I haven't played most of the 'big budget' games to know if it's just fatigue or they're just not as good as the smaller games.  I enjoyed the few big games I played this year.  Still, Hotline Miami is probably my favorite game I played this year, but it's nothing to do with its budget or release.  It's just the most fun I had playing a game this year.  Or Legend of Grimrock.

I think it was a convergence of factors like you suggest. Reviewers are tired of the length of the gen, and they are kind of tired of the popular franchises. So at this point they are looking to over-reward when they see something different even if the mechanics or some of the design ideas aren't as strong as the triple aaa stuff.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »

excellent points you'll never hear anyone in the industry put forward cause its just somewhat damning but also ENTIRELY unavoidable
o_0

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
alternatively, i didn't give much of a shit about anyone in walking dead, most of them came off as histrionic assholes except for lee and clementine

couldn't wait for kenny to die
[close]

I read the spoiler :(

MrAngryFace

« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
Time given to Sleeping Dogs today- that's the way
o_0

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
Are X-Com and Fary Cry 3 really that worth fuckin' with? The guys can't seem to get enough of them. I bet I'd like X-com but FC3 is basically another FPS thingee right?
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
Are X-Com and Fary Cry 3 really that worth fuckin' with? The guys can't seem to get enough of them. I bet I'd like X-com but FC3 is basically another FPS thingee right?

Far Cry 3 is an open world stealth-ish fps. It's not really like Call of Duty or something if that is what you are envisioning.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
You could say 'its missing that something' about anything
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
Too much Jeff hate and not enough Brad hate for my liking in this thread.
🍆🍆

Stoney Mason

« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
Too much Jeff hate and not enough Brad hate for my liking in this thread.

I don't hate Jeff, I just don't understand where the hell hes coming from on a lot of stuff this year. AND THATS OK cause there's a bunch of other people @ giant bomb. Ryan at least kinda spoke to what was said earlier in this thread regarding smaller games being what he craved this year.

Also Vinny, Dave, Drew are my favs cause they seem to have the most carefree fun approach to games- fewest hangups etc
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
I don't know why Spec Ops is getting any play in these things. I guess it's all about those feels in the story, because aside from that it's kind of a mediocre shooter with a lot of jankass bullshit like your idiot squad crouching in front of cover while being shot and screaming that everyone should take cover.
sup

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
I'm OK with XCOM being GOTY over TWD for the most part. It didn't click with me like it did for so many others. I didn't find the turn based tactical gameplay to be the best part of the game but it was about as good as that kind of gameplay can be. I would have been much more interested in a game that is entirely the "meta-game" stuff that happens between missions.
nat

Trent Dole

« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

Far Cry 3 is an open world stealth-ish fps. It's not really like Call of Duty or something if that is what you are envisioning.
ew, stealth. :yuck I wanna kill lots of fuckers and feel like a God in a game, feeling like a useless weak piece of shit is what real life is!
Hi

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
the game doesnt make you feel weak. in fact the stealth is very empowering. if you get caught, switching to rambo mode is very easy. the amount of abilities at your disposal make you a pretty badass dude whether you're being stealthy or gun-ho.
nat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
yeah I think labeling it as stealth-ish is not very accurate from what ive seen, its more like you CAN stealth, but you can also not...sooo...
o_0

Trent Dole

« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »
Huh, maybe when it's $20 and I'm bored then. 8)
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2012, 01:19:32 AM »
yeah I think labeling it as stealth-ish is not very accurate from what ive seen, its more like you CAN stealth, but you can also not...sooo...

That why I said stealth-ish.  ;)

But yeah what I meant was you can toy with the Ai. If you want to strictly play it like Call of Duty you can, but why would you honestly. Generally my approach was to go in stealthy and then when that inevitably failed go balls out. But you can always slip back into stealthy mode, since you generally just have to break line of sight. You feel like a god in the best way possible since you can always slip away undetected and toy with them.

cool breeze

« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
Haven't listened to the podcasts but just reading the lists, I thought these were surprising:

-no forza horizons or FTL on top 10 games (but yes to syndicate and zombiu)
-Dust as runner up for best story
-Syndicate losing best skrilex

Cool to see Dust get nominated for something, even if the story is the last thing I'd say is interesting about the game.  Pretty great unrecognized game this year.  Guessing the furry trappings alienating some people.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
Vinny's list is best
o_0

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Giant Bombcast
« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
I thought I saw some FTL on people's lists. It's borderlands 2 not being mentioned that surprised me
dur

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »

ew, stealth. :yuck I wanna kill lots of fuckers and feel like a God in a game, feeling like a useless weak piece of shit is what real life is!

Stealth is great in FC3. FC3 is worth fucking with. It's not "stealth-ish" -- there's maybe 3 missions that require stealth. Play Far Cry 3. It's my GOTY.
fat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Haven't listened to the podcasts but just reading the lists, I thought these were surprising:

-no forza horizons

I didn't listen to the podcasts and I didn't see if they did a final site wide top 10 but horizons was #6 on Ryan's top ten and #5 on Jeff's.

cool breeze

« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
yeah, that's why I was surprised.  I skimmed through the individual ones and FTL and Forza got a few mentions.  I think Syndicate is only on Jeff's.  Must've lobbied for it on the podcast.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »
Day four podcast was pretty epic in terms of debates, rest o the days have been pretty civil though
o_0

Stoney Mason

« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »
Honestly I think the individual lists are more important than any official site list. It makes more sense especially for something like Giant Bomb.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »