Author Topic: Apple Basic Bitch Thread  (Read 65690 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Apple Basic Bitch Thread
« Reply #360 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:06 AM »
Unless you need a particular piece of software that isn't available for it, Linux is A-OK. :hmph

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #361 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
put Linux on it?
:idont

Shoot yourself in the head if you don't like your migraine option, nice.
:rofl
:dead

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #362 on: November 01, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
Unless you need a particular piece of software.

...Like 90% of games, and software?

Like, I like Linux. But 1) the UI is atrocious 2) the driver support is poor (but getting better, granted) and 3) it's built for servers, not desktop (see #1-2).

You can use it for Retropi just fine, but anything else? It's Windows or bust. But I don't know if Assy is HUEHUEHUE enough to run a bunch of Free to Plays through SteamPlay/WINE on Linux.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
Games are a clincher, at least if you don't want to tinker at all, but if you don't play games, it's just fine for everyday use. No fiddling and the UI of most major distros is fine. :yeshrug

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
Unless you need a particular piece of software.

...Like 90% of games, and software?

Like, I like Linux. But 1) the UI is atrocious 2) the driver support is poor (but getting better, granted) and 3) it's built for servers, not desktop (see #1-2).

You can use it for Retropi just fine, but anything else? It's Windows or bust. But I don't know if Assy is HUEHUEHUE enough to run a bunch of Free to Plays through SteamPlay/WINE on Linux.
I don't care about games at all on the computer. I was always console even when I did play games which I haven't in over a year.

Windows is so obnoxious to use though. My MacBook Air has been ace since I bought it in 2014. I really just want more strength and a better screen which this new one has..... what pisses me off is the memory. I need at least 256 but fuck me if I'm going to pay that much extra.

And since the Mac is the only machine that can actually switch between MacOS, Linux, and windows all on the same machine.... it's hard for me to not get one so I don't even know why I'm bitching

EDIT: well I know why the machine isn't the perfect one I wanted. I don't want this new fucking keyboard, I want more memory and slight more power but going with the MacBook Pro with that stupid touch crap is also fucking dumb. Sigh, do I wait for the new pros or do I punk down and go with the air?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
You can also have mac os on a pc

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #366 on: November 01, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
I've had friends do that, way too much trouble.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »

Get over Apple and buy a Windows PC or a Chromebook.  If you hate Windows so much...put Linux on it?

When you actually look at the options that are out there though the price for the Air isn't that unreasonable. The only thing apple does that pisses me off is the memory thing, they price gouge you on that. It's the Apple "tax" bump that is annoying.

$1000 starting for this shit? 

1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 4MB L3 cache
128GB PCIe-based SSD
8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

At least they have a whopping TWO USB ports this time around. 

I don't care about games at all on the computer. I was always console even when I did play games which I haven't in over a year.

Windows is so obnoxious to use though.

I mean...not really?  It works pretty well for me.  I've had both Macs and PCs over the years and found that I just slowly gravitated more and more towards Windows stuff after dual OS booting became a thing. Found it super-annoying when something was missing on OSX that was easily available on Windows.  Only got into PC gaming when it got more console-like in a lot of ways thanks to Steam and the like becoming the norm.

What is that you do with your computer?  If I wasn't into gaming I'd buy something much cheaper.  Besides games, I don't do much more than browsing and streaming.  Did just fine with netbooks a decade or so ago when I wasn't into PC gaming.

I've had friends do that, way too much trouble.

Yeah, don't think I'd want to mess with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:35:04 PM by bork »
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

Hackintoshes are work, though.

thisismyusername

« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
New screen I can understand. But why "more strength" if you're current use case is doing you just fine?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
New screen I can understand. But why "more strength" if you're current use case is doing you just fine?
It's not, it's showing its age.

If I can sell it in this country for a good price I will make the jump. Going to see what I can get for it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »

If I can sell it in this country for a good price I will make the jump. Going to see what I can get for it.

Apple is showing a trade-in program for up to $1000 off the new Air, at least in 'Murica.
ど助平

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »

Apple is showing a trade-in program for up to $1000 off the new Air, at least in 'Murica.
They're saying my current air which is close to what they are selling new for $899 is worth $265 as a trade in  :lol

I may be able to get around $700 for it here.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
If it's not a big upgrade (sure doesn't look like it from those specs), why bother? 
ど助平

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
If it's not a big upgrade (sure doesn't look like it from those specs), why bother?
well, because if I can still get a decent price for it now I might as well because waiting any longer and then I won't be able to.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #375 on: November 07, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
I love this dude's videos.  Here's a news story where they brought in MacBook with a broken screen for repair, cited water damage, and were told it would cost $1200 to change out the parts and that they could just buy another Mac for that price.  Louis opened it up, bent a single pin back into place, and then it worked perfectly.  Said he wouldn't charge anything to do that either.  :doge

Also has a segment where an iFixit guy explains how Apple is trying to control everything and even went as far as to invent their own screws to stop people from opening stuff up, now glues batteries into iPhones, and made it so that if iOS detects that a replacement home button was put into an iPhone, it will stop working. Scummy shit.

"[Apple] declined to provide a spokesman, but issued a statement claiming their customers are best served by Apple's certified experts using genuine parts.  They denied systemically overestimating repair costs."  :lol ::)
 :cmonson

"How often do people show up here with the Apple Store telling them it can't be fixed or it's too expensive to fix?  Somewhere between 10 and 30 times a day."
:dead
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:37:09 PM by bork »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #376 on: November 08, 2018, 12:40:08 AM »
Yeah, my next machine's gonna be a Windows 10 PC, and it's not far in the future. I'll regret having to use iTunes on Windows for my overcommitment to their media ecosphere, but I'll just cry while quietly finally working through my Steam backlog.

kingv

« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »
I upgrade to an XR.

It’s a pretty nice phone, and the screen seems huge after coming from a regular ass 7. No way could I ever use this shit one handed though.

I almost sprung for an XS but it’s just so damn expensive. My wife, of course wants a 256GB XS Max so I’m trying to figure out how much I could get for one of the kids.

Also, fuck apple.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
I have it on good authority that the 9.7” iPad will hit $229 this Black Friday.

kingv

« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
Damn. I’ll buy one at that price.

I have an iPad Air 2 that my crumbsnstchers have commandeered as a YouTube machine

The air 2 is surprisingly still well usable for an apple device considering it’s age. They seem to be getting a little better about the forced obsolescence.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
fuck apple.

I upgrade to an XR.

My wife, of course wants a 256GB XS Max so I’m trying to figure out how much I could get for one of the kids.
Damn. I’ll buy one at that price.
:mindblown
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
Apple fans in a nutshell lol.

kingv

« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
Apple sucks.... you guys want to check out my new iPhone?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »
Question. I have my refund coming soon and I'm interested in getting a Macbook. But I'm not going to go high end.

So it seems my choice is between the new Air or the Macbook Pro 2018 without the touchbar.

It will mostly be used as a school labtop. I'm not worried about video games or anything. I just want something reliable, fast enough for word internet use, and so on, not too bulky, to use a version of itunes that is'nt shit, and in general have something the works with my Apple Tv, iphone, and ipad.

It kind of seems like the Air is the winner, but I am prone to opening a lot of tabs and shit. I've had cheap HP labtops and I get annoyed how slow even a internet browser can run.

So I guess I'm looking for a recommendation.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Question. I have my refund coming soon and I'm interested in getting a Macbook. But I'm not going to go high end.

So it seems my choice is between the new Air or the Macbook Pro 2018 without the touchbar.

It will mostly be used as a school labtop. I'm not worried about video games or anything. I just want something reliable, fast enough for word internet use, and so on, not too bulky, to use a version of itunes that is'nt shit, and in general have something the works with my Apple Tv, iphone, and ipad.

It kind of seems like the Air is the winner, but I am prone to opening a lot of tabs and shit. I've had cheap HP labtops and I get annoyed how slow even a internet browser can run.

Recommended laptops (Macs and PCs) - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laptops/
More recommendations broken down by use - https://thewirecutter.com/electronics/laptops/

They think the MacBook Air 2018 is the best MacBook at the moment. 

If you don't need to do anything special, why not save some money and get a Windows laptop instead?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:28:38 AM by bork »
ど助平

Quaker

« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Research the keyboard on whatever model you end up with. Ever since they redesigned the keyboards a few years back they have been prone to failure due to dust getting underneath the switches. They redesigned them again last year but I think that was a bandaid. I might be wrong, though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »
If I were going to go for a small ultra-book style laptop, I'd check out the Surface Go (the 8GB RAM/SSD models, not the 4GB RAM base models).  The better configuration is around $650 with a type cover, IIRC.  Supposed to be great for the price.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2019, 11:31:28 AM »
Doesn't the Surface Go suck in terms of speed/multi-tasking?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
He's pretty clear about wanting to be in Apple's ecosystem, so that's kind of moot.

hampster

« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »
I also used my refund on Apple stuff - Bought an iphone se to replace my 6+ I got in 2015. The se is very cheap these days and I'm in the mood for a small phone. My pocket is going to feel so nice :)

My first gen ipad air is even older but still going okay. Seems to studder when ever I type too fast but otherwise still works. Considering a new ipad, or maybe a surface, in the near future.
Zzz

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #390 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
I have a 6 year old Air and it still performs pretty well. I mainly use it for web or remote desktop stuff, but it'll run WoW on low settings. Can't speak to the keyboards on the new ones but the performance on the Airs is pretty good for what they are imo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »
Doesn't the Surface Go suck in terms of speed/multi-tasking?

That's what I heard, too, but I started seeing stuff pop up about it recently and was seeing a lot of praise for the 8GB ram models. 

I'd probably buy one to mess around with if I didn't have my little GPD Win 2 (which I think runs way better than the Go does anyway).  I ignored the Go when it came out and only recently saw one on display at Costco.  If they had released this type of Surface earlier on, I definitely would have gone for it over the Surface Pro 4 I used to have.  That was great as a laptop, but awful as a tablet (too heavy, had semi-noisy fans, and had shitty battery life).  This model is apparently pretty good both ways for its class.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #392 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:45 PM »
I ended up going with the Macbook Pro 13inch 2017.

All my friends have Pros and spoke pretty highly of them. So I said why not.

hampster

« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
I also used my refund on Apple stuff - Bought an iphone se to replace my 6+ I got in 2015. The se is very cheap these days and I'm in the mood for a small phone. My pocket is going to feel so nice :)

When I bought it, the only color in stock was gold. I thought it was that cool pink gold apple sells. Apparently apple sells actual gold colored phones. Its ugly :yuck

I'm an idiot :lol
Zzz

kingv

« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »
Macs fucking suck.

I’m visiting my dad trying to use his stupid iMac to vpn into my work pc and get some shit done.

I’ve spent 2 hours just trying to get it working correctly. It boots slow as fuck, installing updates is slow as fuck, it failed on the updates at least once.

My mom has an iMac too. And it’s exactly the same piece of shit when I use it.

I haven’t seen a PC in the wild this fucked up since Windows XP, to be honest.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
Macs fucking suck.

I’m visiting my dad trying to use his stupid iMac to vpn into my work pc and get some shit done.

I’ve spent 2 hours just trying to get it working correctly. It boots slow as fuck, installing updates is slow as fuck, it failed on the updates at least once.

My mom has an iMac too. And it’s exactly the same piece of shit when I use it.

I haven’t seen a PC in the wild this fucked up since Windows XP, to be honest.

Your problem is that you’re trying to use a Mac for nerd stuff. Don’t do that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »
Got a new iPhone (for work)- upgraded from an iPhone 5SE to an iPhone 7, because I'm not paying any money for this garbage so I get whatever is considered the lowest tier of phone available.  Fine with me.

What a fucking pain in the ass it was getting the phone set up.  It seemed promising enough initially, with it telling me to just put the old phone next to it and it would move stuff over.  Then it wanted me to take a photo of an image on the old phone screen.  And wouldn't register.  After like 10 tries it worked.  Then it prompted me to enter my iCloud password.  Entered the correct one but it wouldn't take it the first five times.  Then it prompted me to enter iTunes info and the same shit happened.  Not incorrect...but keeps asking me for it and/or sitting there doing nothing.  Finally after like three restarts and 20 times entering the same shit in, it finally saves it and starts working.

Made sure it was set up, then turned that crap off immediately and tossed it into my bag.  Don't ever use this shit unless I need it, which is usually when doing on-call like six times max out of the year. 

When I got my Pixel and moved stuff over it?  It did like 99% of everything for me, working perfectly the first time, like it should.  My wife, too- and she was coming from an iPhone.  :doge

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #397 on: August 27, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
Eh, Google wants people to switch from iPhones (even including an iPhone transfer cable in recent Pixels...) Apple doesn't really care. So that's not surprising the migration process is underdeveloped.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/21540028/apple-iphone-ios-14-back-tap-hidden-secret-button-gesture?amp;

This is pretty neat. I set mine up to do both App Switcher and take a screenshot.

nudemacusers

« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
just ordered a iphone 12 pro and am waiting for a new appletv on friday :heart
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

G The Resurrected

« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »
Why didn’t you wait for the new Apple TV?

nudemacusers

« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
for clarity i'm waiting for an appletv announcement on friday (one can hope/dream). I skipped the 4k assuming they'd drop one last year but they fucked up.  >:(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

G The Resurrected

« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2020, 11:04:12 PM »
They should be revealed at the ARM event on the 10th

kingv

« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2020, 02:01:59 AM »
I bought AirPod Pros.... then I returned them!

They don’t sound good on phone calls. Hopefully my Bose quiet comfort 35 II’s will be better.

archnemesis

« Reply #404 on: November 04, 2020, 06:56:08 AM »
I'm very happy with that Bose model, although I never use them for phone calls.

kingv

« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
I'm very happy with that Bose model, although I never use them for phone calls.

I spend a ton of time on the phone for work.

Right now I use the Bose sound sport free for calls. They are ok, but get a bit uncomfortable. They are very good and secure for working out though.

The airpod pros I really liked the noise cancelling, but I could get a good fit on my left ear and it always felt like it was going to fall out. I think the poor fit is also what caused the poor sound quality on calls. Like some sort of feedback from the ear canal to the mics used for noise cancelling.

The QC 35 II’s were on sale for $199, seemed like a good deal when they normally are $300+

nudemacusers

« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »
They should be revealed at the ARM event on the 10th
oh duh, for some reason i thought those were dropping today... i did get a leather case for my 12 pro, so all is not lost.  :doge

i thought the sleeve looked kinda cool but $130 is nearing actual artisan maker-tier and i'd rather put my money there tbh. but maybe it looks nicer in person.

btw everyone is sleeping on the silver color and giving too much love to pacific blue.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2020, 06:57:27 AM »
gotta say i've been enjoying the meltdowns over the M1's performance #s. 😂
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »
gotta say i've been enjoying the meltdowns over the M1's performance #s. 😂

I haven’t really been following the M1 stuff - what meltdowns?
püp

nudemacusers

« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2020, 11:07:06 AM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »
lol wow the butthurt
püp

Tasty

« Reply #411 on: November 14, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »
This happened before when Apple started ramping up their A* chips in the iPhone line and blew past basically everyone else. In terms of raw performance, top-end Android phones are still consistently 2-3 years behind the top-end iPhones.

Not sure if people forgot or if they were expecting things to go differently this time for whatever reason. Apple doesn't make big changes on a whim, if they're transitioning to new hardware you can probably bet it's damn solid (for their purposes.)

nudemacusers

« Reply #412 on: November 14, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »
i wonder how john c dvorak is handling this news...

edit: actually checked his twitter and tbh i'm not surprised at the genre pivot  :rofl
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #413 on: November 14, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
i wonder how john c dvorak is handling this news...

edit: actually checked his twitter and tbh i'm not surprised at the genre pivot  :rofl

Speaking of the elder technorati, I'm gonna pour a drink and celebrate when Jon Guber John Gruber finally stops blogging. He's not as annoying as MG Siegler but his self-important style of writing consistently rankles me, just when I think "Oh maybe he's mellowed out and reasonable now."

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #414 on: November 14, 2020, 04:01:33 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #415 on: November 14, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Intel got too confident and now it's biting them in the ass

Meltdown/Spectre musta really fucked their plans up :trumps

Speculative execution was always kinda cheating anyways.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #416 on: November 14, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »
They couldn't get their 10nm process off the ground. They've been stuck on 14nm (+++) for a couple iterations now.

Tasty

« Reply #417 on: November 14, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »
lol wow the butthurt
In fairness, someone at Apple needed to put a link directly to the formulation of that statement. There's bad faith arguing on the part of Apple's detractors, but this kind of claim is automatically incendiary.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #419 on: November 16, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
地平線