Author Topic: Apple Basic Bitch Thread  (Read 65294 times)

Tasty

Re: Apple Basic Bitch Thread
« Reply #420 on: November 16, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25095438

Apple, you're fucking up.

Being addressed. Bottom paragraph on this article updated: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

Which part? The overly-restrictive software installation policies of macOS aren't the issue (this time), it's the need to phone home (with the privacy-invasive logging that implies, along with sending the app developer's ID over plaintext so snoopers can see what app you open every time you open it) and hanging apps on opening if Apple is down or the connection is bad.

It's a bad idea implemented even worse.

Edit-

In addition, over the the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks:

A new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
Strong protections against server failure
A new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

I mean, good, but this is table stakes. Launching without these should have gotten someone (or multiple people) fired.

We have never combined data from these checks with information about Apple users or their devices. We do not use data from these checks to learn what individual users are launching or running on their devices.

Pinky promise!

The NSA, on the other hand...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:38:41 AM by Tasty »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #421 on: November 16, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25095438

Apple, you're fucking up.

Being addressed. Bottom paragraph on this article updated: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

Which part? The overly-restrictive software installation policies of macOS aren't the issue (this time), it's the need to phone home (with the privacy-invasive logging that implies, along with sending the app developer's ID over plaintext so snoopers can see what app you open every time you open it) and hanging apps on opening if Apple is down or the connection is bad.

It's a bad idea implemented even worse.

In addition, over the the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks:

* A new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
* Strong protections against server failure
* A new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

Also, the dev ID doesn't show which app you open, just who developed the app.
地平線

Tasty

« Reply #422 on: November 16, 2020, 09:39:01 AM »
Responded above.

Tasty

« Reply #423 on: November 16, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
Also, love the timeline on these improvements.

November 2021. Yay.

Tasty

« Reply #424 on: November 16, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »

That's still problematic for a vast swath of apps, which are the only app by their developer. It's not defensible because it's less bad.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #425 on: November 16, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »

That's still problematic for a vast swath of apps, which are the only app by their developer. It's not defensible because it's less bad.

Sure. I just wanted to make sure the semantics were correct. Hehe
地平線

Tasty

« Reply #426 on: November 16, 2020, 10:12:08 AM »
I don't understand the use of HTTP... the excuse that dev uses is "well it's a cert verification service, so how can it use HTTPS?" like it's some philosoraptor conundrum.. no it's not lol

You already have keychain or whatever storing your trusted root level certs... why in the world wouldn't you just hit OCSP with HTTPS and rely on the existing security architecture there?  The fuck?

Yeah that part has people scratching their head. It was probably just easier/faster to do over HTTP.

Like a lot of parts of the capitalist machine, Apple's claims of focusing on privacy are more marketing-driven than development-driven.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2022, 09:59:04 PM »
https://80.lv/articles/apple-would-be-forced-to-allow-alternative-app-stores-and-sideloading/

Not sure if this is better here, or in the Apple vs. EPIC thread.

Not only will separate stores be forced by the EU, but it looks like mandatory support for an Apple payment method must also be removed? That seems wild.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2022, 01:25:11 PM »
europeans use iphones?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2022, 04:52:48 PM »
I bought an Apple product.
:stahp

iPad Mini.  First Apple product purchase in six+ years.  Wanted a smaller tablet and this is the only good one.  Glad there are browsers like Brave, with full Adblock built-in, or this would be going right back.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: June 17, 2022, 09:25:26 PM »
I'm selling that Apple product.  :doge

Did not like iOS and found myself just using my Android phone more instead.  Got a Surface Go 3 to replace it.
ど助平

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #431 on: June 18, 2022, 09:09:29 AM »
I pad mini is the worst

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #432 on: June 19, 2022, 12:19:11 PM »
I pad mini is the worst

Jelly scrolling  :yuck
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: June 19, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
Returning the Go 3 now, but only because Amazon and Best Buy are dumping Surface Pro 7+ i5/8gb ram models for $699 with the type cover included this weekend.  Somehow came out to be $30 cheaper than the Go 3 with type cover.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #434 on: June 19, 2022, 03:03:48 PM »
Weren't you trying to buy a smaller tablet though?
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #435 on: June 19, 2022, 03:54:40 PM »
Weren't you trying to buy a smaller tablet though?

Yes- and also I didn't want to spend this much when I all wanted a tablet for was for streaming video and using the web-  Just wanted to have extensions and adblock for the latter.  On the drive to return the Go 3, I thought about how fucking stupid this all was and canceled the Best Buy order.  Then I went home and checked to see if my firm's Lenovo discounts applied to the new 10" Chromebook Duet 3- and it did, so ordered that instead and got it for $300 after shipping and tax.  Much better.

I'm glad I tried the Go 3 out though.  It was a hassle-free full return so no big deal. 
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2022, 11:39:34 PM »
I'm interested to hear how that performs. Not really in the market for a tablet, but could be tempted by the right price/performance.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: June 21, 2022, 12:02:52 PM »
I'm interested to hear how that performs. Not really in the market for a tablet, but could be tempted by the right price/performance.

Just got it- coming from the 2020 model, there's noticeable improvements.  The screen is a bit bigger and higher resolution (2K now versus 1080P), the bezels are a bit thinner, and there's now two USB-C ports on the left and right sides for charging and peripherals instead of just one.  The back cover (has a kickstand) and keyboard cover are also improved and feel like they're made of better, sturdier material.  The keyboard is more solid and better for typing on, although it's also heavier.  With both covers on, it's laptop-heavy, but they pop right off so no big deal- the magnets are also much better and stay on pretty well.  The older model's keyboard cover flopped open all the time.  But as soon as a smart folio cover is available for sale, I'll definitely pick one up, since I tend to only use the keyboard cover if I travel.  The back cover also has an opening that's for a stylus holder.  I saw some early reviews complaining that they didn't get one, but it was in the box, so dunno.  Apparently this uses some new standard for styluses and older ones don't work?  Dunno because I don't use them, but if one is for sale cheap enough, I'll probably give it a try.

I don't generally use an external display with tablets, but the first gen model had problems with anything over 1080P and would often run at 30hz.  This new version supposedly fixes this and works just fine up to 1440P at least- will definitely test this out.  Curious how it works on a 4K TV.  If I can get even 1080P/60hz, I'd be be fine with it since that would mean it could be used to play back streaming video on trips.

The setups on these things are so incredibly fast that it was ready to go in a couple of minutes- tried going to Youtube and the playback speed/switching to full-screen was faster, plus sites that had performance issues on the old model like Discord now run normally, so I'm pretty happy.  Definitely runs better with the newer Snapdragon processor upgrade from the older MediaTek one.  Battery life is supposed to have taken a hit from the original, but it's like 10+ hours instead of 12, so not a big deal.

This model only has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage space- there is an 8GB RAM model coming out in Europe, possibly with 128GB of space, but they haven't said anything about the States.  The previous model was also 4GB and I never really had a problem with it up until things got slow with the Chrome OS v100 update.  If people say that 8GB makes a huge difference, I might just give this model to my wife and buy another one (if they come out here), but for my uses, it probably won't matter much.  The storage space also doesn't bother me since I don't save anything locally- this is pretty much just used as a portable (desktop) Chrome Browser, with a couple of apps for streaming, and for that purpose, it's awesome. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 12:40:21 PM by bork »
ど助平

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »
Lets see what outdated garbage they release today for the sheeple

:crowdlaff
:O

james

« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
A watch? Are they going after the silent generation market? Considering the main feature is that it detects when seniors crash into trees I guess so

:heyman

james

« Reply #440 on: September 07, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »
STFU about watches holy shit

james

« Reply #441 on: September 07, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »
No SIM cards its Sprint all over again

:tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #442 on: September 07, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
Well I’m grabbing the Apple Watch ultra, been waiting for a good replacement for my Apple Watch 4.

I have the beats pro so no need to get the new AirPods.

And my 13 pro is still great so will not be updating till they get ride of the notch and finally add usb c out.

james

« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
Should have called it the iPhone 13 U

Well I’m grabbing the Apple Watch ultra, been waiting for a good replacement for my Apple Watch 4.

Its called Garmin you fool

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #444 on: September 07, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »

I have the beats pro so no need to get the new AirPods.

And my 13 pro is still great so will not be updating till they get ride of the notch and finally add usb c out.
Do you need an intervention dude? Just say no to drugs Apple.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #445 on: September 08, 2022, 10:30:54 AM »
"Apple Watch ULTRA!"

:crowdlaff :girlaff

Can already picture someone making My Hero Academia memes with this.  :doge

Getting bothered by requests to upgrade to the iPhone 14 at work.  FFS, they just announced it- we don't have pricing yet and these are people who were foaming at the mouth to get 13s last year so they're not eligible to upgrade anyway- FUCKING STOP.
:kinison

Rumors are USB-C is happening with the 15.
ど助平

james

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: September 08, 2022, 03:52:48 PM »
I got a new iPhone (for work)- didn't want to spend any money so the best free option was an iPhone SE 2020 3rd gen model.  Was previously using an iPhone 7- this shit looks exactly the same except for the glossy back.
:dead

Taking forever to set up and transfer data, too, despite there barely being anything on the phone to begin with. :dizzy
ど助平

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #448 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:31 PM »
my girl  was like "i'm getting you an iphone "

lol just kidding

nudemacusers

« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2022, 08:12:20 AM »
we all know you don't have a girlfriend  :biden

apple watch ultra looks kinda cool but I have a stainless 6 and am in no hurry to upgrade.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Fifstar

« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2022, 03:42:27 AM »
I got a new iPhone (for work)- didn't want to spend any money so the best free option was an iPhone SE 2020 3rd gen model.  Was previously using an iPhone 7- this shit looks exactly the same except for the glossy back.
:dead

Taking forever to set up and transfer data, too, despite there barely being anything on the phone to begin with. :dizzy

Well that's the point of the se series. My wife has that phone and I sometimes envy her because it's such a nice compact phone compared to my pixel 6. iOS though  :yuck
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2022, 11:42:13 AM »
Google abandoning the Small Pixel/XL Pixel model still seriously annoys me. The a series has gotten big now too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2022, 01:01:55 AM »

james

« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2022, 02:19:10 PM »
 :drudge :drudge :drudge

Apple in shambles

The iPhone 14 and ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus have seen "bad" pre-order results, indicating that Apple's positioning of the two new standard models may have failed, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

The ‌iPhone 14‌ and ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus are expected to be in stock in retail stores on their launch dates, "reflecting lackluster demand." As it stands, Kuo says that the pre-order results for the ‌iPhone 14‌ and ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus are worse than those of the third-generation iPhone SE and the iPhone 13 mini. He noted that Apple cut orders of both the third-generation ‌iPhone SE‌ and the ‌iPhone 13‌ mini in the first half of 2022 due to low demand.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/12/kuo-iphone-14-plus-worse-than-iphone-13-mini/

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2022, 03:31:30 PM »
>
- Nobody

> Yeah let’s green light a Hillary Clinton road trip show.
- Apple

Now this image greets me every time I turn my tv on. Please make it stop Apple.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #455 on: September 12, 2022, 03:34:12 PM »
Looking at her face, you really can see where the lizard people rumours come from...
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2022, 11:14:56 PM »
iPhone 69 :lol