Author Topic: Apple Basic Bitch Thread  (Read 65285 times)

Tasty

Re: Fuck you Apple
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »
???

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »
I always associated you with Takao as well.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
i thought of you two like the bobbsey twins

he was freddie and you were flossie

dawwwww
The Bobbsey Twins are the principal characters of what was, for many years, the Stratemeyer Syndicate's longest-running series of children's novels, penned under the pseudonym Laura Lee Hope. The first of 72 books was published in 1904, the last in 1979, with a separate series of 30 books published from 1987 through 1992.
Goddamn you're old, Oscar. Dropping references to >100-year old characters.
SRY

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »
Android Tablet and Phone here. Apple has pissed me off from way before i-shit times, when I had to use their shitty desktops to use physics/math software. Fuck em double.

They also have like no support for older computers so basically fuck you if you don't update.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
Yeah, and iOS is similar. Upgrade your phone if you want the new iOS. Upgrade your iOS if you want any new apps.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
Android Tablet and Phone here. Apple has pissed me off from way before i-shit times, when I had to use their shitty desktops to use physics/math software. Fuck em double.

They also have like no support for older computers so basically fuck you if you don't update.
And sadly for me the modeling software I used only ran on ancient macs

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
Yeah, and iOS is similar. Upgrade your phone if you want the new iOS. Upgrade your iOS if you want any new apps.

???

Apple is making iOS7 compatible with 3 year old phones and three year old iPads.  That's well within reason.

And even if you think that's still too soon, Apple's approach prevents fragmentation which is still a big problem on Android.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »
Fragmentation on Android isn't a problem if you're not a 14-year old Latino girl who's given the cheapest Android phone her parents think they can get away with.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
Fragmentation on Android isn't a problem if you're not a 14-year old Latino girl who's given the cheapest Android phone her parents think they can get away with.

Yet there are plenty of companies out there, some of our clients included, that rely on that demographic.  It's just extra hassle on our developers when they can be focusing on exciting new technologies and features on jelly bean.
püp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
It's pretty fucking ridiculous when something like Hulu doesn't work on Motorola phones released after the buyout.

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

Yet there are plenty of companies out there, some of our clients included, that rely on that demographic.  It's just extra hassle on our developers when they can be focusing on exciting new technologies and features on jelly bean.

If you want to reach the biggest market you're always going to have to put extra work in. It's the same deal with browsers and game consoles.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
Yeah what happen to Takao? I don't see him at GAF either.
Boo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »
You assholes ran him off.  I hope you're happy.
🍆🍆

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
Apple has been fucking shit up ever since Serlet left and the iOS team started running shit. 10.6 was their swansong. Serlet was the true mastermind, screw Jobs
◕‿◕

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
I sure hope iOS7 is more "compatible" than iOS6 was on 2-3 year old iPhones. That shit brought my wife's 4 to its knees.

Nice casual racism Andrex

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »

???

Apple is making iOS7 compatible with 3 year old phones and three year old iPads.  That's well within reason.

And even if you think that's still too soon, Apple's approach prevents fragmentation which is still a big problem on Android.

If you're just going to sit there making sense, I don't think this thread has a place for you.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
I hope Apple buys Nintendo.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
whats a good android tablet? Nexus 7?
USA

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
pretty much the only android tablet you should consider.  its tits.
püp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
I'm gonna say the Nook HD+. It's currently $149 for the 16GB and $179 for the 32GB since B&N are getting out of the tablet business. MicroSD slot, 1920x1280 9" screen, Bluetooth, etc. The screen is probably the best in class for the size range. They've added the play store and all the google stuff (Chrome, maps, etc) so it's pretty much a regular android tablet once you install a new launcher.
sup

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
N7 refresh should be out somewhat soon.

I sure hope iOS7 is more "compatible" than iOS6 was on 2-3 year old iPhones. That shit brought my wife's 4 to its knees.

Nice casual racism Andrex

It was a reference to something when I made it but I forgot what. :lol

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »

According to Google's own stats there's far more 14-year old Latino girls with cheap parents than previously realised.

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
The question to be asked is whether people who pay nothing or little up front for phones are worth considering when targeting platform versions. Since they're less likely to monetize well, it's easily possible to focus on 4.0+.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »
build brand loyalty by not having out-of-date versions be broken and shitty?
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2017, 03:08:03 AM »
My iPad is nearly 3 years old now.

To support my iPad, I needed a newer version of Xcode. The code/profile/whatever components weren't included, even though my Xcode was installed WAY more recently than my iPad purchase.

To get the new version of Xcode, I needed OS X Sierra.

To get Sierra, I backed up everything and pulled the trigger.

Under default behavior, now my Mac has backed up my Downloads and Documents folder (all my business stuff) into iCloud. When I asked it to stop, it wants to delete my local copies of all that on all my computers.

Apparently all I need to do is drag things from my local iCloud instance to their previous designated location. But this is the most ass-backward way to do this. Literally backward: why not delete the instance from iCloud and leave the originals, you know, WHERE THEY ALREADY ARE?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:48 AM »
That's actually a very synergistic paradigm shift where their disruption of your obstruction of their abstract abstraction makes everything just work.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2017, 03:34:29 AM »
That's actually a very synergistic paradigm shift where their disruption of your obstruction of their abstract abstraction makes everything just work.

I got a big grin, then worried that you might be serious, so it's like a stalled grin. My face is beachballing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »
iOS 11.2.1 update came out today. Recently? I learned my lesson about wireless updates previously, so I connected to my Mac and started the process, of course backing up before letting it do anything.

I check back in 20 minutes, and the damned thing is in Recovery Mode, where it wants to be connected to a Mac with iTunes before it will do anything else. Well, shit, what do you think you're attached to? Then iTunes itself appears to be crashed and unresponsive, but what's actually happening is that iTunes has put its warning dialog on my second monitor, even though nothing else associated with iTunes was on the second monitor. :maf

The iPhone quit mid-restore several more times, and finally it successfully updated on the sixth attempt.

Now it's downloading its previous apps and other contents from wi-fi instead of the local backup because fuck me, I guess.

I need the phone since I'm going to the city tonight for T-day with expats, and also because I've got an appointment at the Apple Store to have them look at my iMac. I don't want to put the old girl down, I think she's still got life in her, but she's been hard-rebooting every 10 minutes or so. I don't expect a computer from 2009 to last forever, so this isn't really a complaint so much as just feeling sad.

Fuck my iPhone 6 though.

Tasty

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2017, 12:44:56 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
Update: I schlepped very heavy my 2009 iMac downtown, and carried it into three different shops which claimed online to do Mac repairs. Only one of them was willing to take it, but said it would take 2-3 weeks for them to repair it, because they'd track down a specific problem, whereas Apple would swap the whole unit out. This is true for iOS devices, but that store is not correct about how Apple handles OS X/macOS devices. I bailed, and went to my appointment.

Instead of staring at me fearfully like the other stores, the Apple staff took the massive machine off my hands, placed it back on their shelf before even confirming my appointment. n.b. I hate the appointment policy at Apple Stores, but it worked for me yesterday; the guy behind the counter spent half an hour with me, going through the various hardware checks they can run and, when those all came back clean, he suggested that I could try rolling back to a previous version of the OS. That sounded like hoodoo, but so far it appears to be working.

I let my iMac run all night, it didn't reboot once. It looks like the old gal has a little life left in her. And the whole boutique experience really ended up working out for me last night.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
Apple gives users an easy way to get into their computer if they forget a password and everyone loses their minds. Typical overreacting Facebook clickbait buzzfeed libcuck Social Studies Warrior looneytunes stuff.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
Yo, I had to lug around a 2007 iMac in a city once and it was a fucking nightmare, I feel your pain. Why'd you go to the other stores first besides the Apple store though? The few experiences I've had with off-site "apple certified" places left me with very negative impressions, but the Apple store has gone smoothly pretty much every time

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Yo, I had to lug around a 2007 iMac in a city once and it was a fucking nightmare, I feel your pain. Why'd you go to the other stores first besides the Apple store though? The few experiences I've had with off-site "apple certified" places left me with very negative impressions, but the Apple store has gone smoothly pretty much every time
:respect

Via the route I took to reach Shinsaibashi Apple Store, the other shops were less than 100m out of the way. The station at which I arrive neighbors an electronics retail hub. I had 90 minutes, so I figured why not try? Third party places in Japan are less sketchy than the ones I've visited in the USA. At the very least, if they're not sure that they can help, the Japanese clerks will politely demure.

So I wasn't completely sure Apple would even receive the iMac for repair. As it turns out, they wouldn't have been able to help if it were a hardware issue; they only go back 7 years for support. After that, they suggest the customer find a third-party repair solution.  :-\

The bright side is that Apple confirmed nothing wrong with the hardware, and reinstalled a less onerous version of OS X. Since then, it has not rebooted once! It's been running consistently since then. Seriously happy that it was a free "repair" and I don't have to put Ol' Yeller down.
:rejoice

kingv

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Confirming what everybody basically already knows.... Apple does indeed throttle the performance of old phones in newer OS updates.... ostensibly to help maintain battery life on older batteries. So you’re 2+ year old iPhone really is a little t slower than it was over time.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/12/what_s_wrong_with_apple_slowing_down_older_iphones.html#lf_comment=761236069

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
Just more confirmation that ditching Apple products was the way to go. 
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »

Did you read the article?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
Does this apply to Ipads too?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

Theoretically, it could. My iPad Air 2 is slower under current (11.2.1?) than it had been. But iPads have sick batteries and CPU compared to the phones, IIRC.

archnemesis

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
I hope they get sued/fined by the EU.

kingv

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
It’s a really crappy policy.

It makes it so that replacing the battery on your iPhone isn’t even really worth it. I’d rather replace my battery for 70 bucks after three years and have snappy performance than for Apple to slowly kill my phone.

Edit: I haven’t noticed my air 2 slowing down much. But iPads have always had longer lifespans than the phones. I suspect my air 2 will go at least a few more years before I feel bothered to replace it.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »
LMFAO @ ios deleting apps with no notice by default now. What a shitty dumb fucking idea, fuck Tim Cook and fuck this company

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »

I don’t think so. People still use ancient iPads without much complaint. I think from the original story this applies to non-plus sized phones.

iOS 11 on my 7 plus, even after several updates, seems to have killed my battery life by about 25%.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
LMFAO @ ios deleting apps with no notice by default now. What a shitty dumb fucking idea, fuck Tim Cook and fuck this company
Do you mean deleting from an iOS device any 32b apps which can't run anyway? Or is this something about apps which pass distribution approval and are then reneged?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »

It makes it so that replacing the battery on your iPhone isn’t even really worth it. I’d rather replace my battery for 70 bucks after three years and have snappy performance than for Apple to slowly kill my phone.

Edit: I haven’t noticed my air 2 slowing down much. But iPads have always had longer lifespans than the phones. I suspect my air 2 will go at least a few more years before I feel bothered to replace it.

But Apple itself doesn't have a policy for "replace battery." They've got a flat repair rate which covers anything that's wrong with your iOS device, and it's exorbitant enough that a tremendous amount of third-party repair businesses have cropped up. Apple doesn't benefit from replacing batteries, but this "hidden" feature does appear to make their hardware run for longer, but at slower speeds.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Gizmodo: Everything Apple Fucked Up This Year

I almost stopped reading that article, because the first items seem like itsnothing.gif bullshittery, but then I kept reading:
iOS 11 tricks people into thinking Bluetooth and wi-fi turns off
Here’s another rude thing: in the new iOS Control Center, you think you’re turning off Bluetooth and wi-fi by deselecting their icons. But you’re not. Toggling these features into the off position simply disables them. This really pissed off security researchers who believed many users would feel tricked into a false sense of security that their devices weren’t talking to other devices when they actually were.

:holeup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »

Did you read the article?

Yes.

> Just more confirmation that ditching Apple products was the way to go.

:rollsafe

Honestly, if what happened with my previous iPhone wasn't enough to get me to switch to Android, the shit I've seen this year with the people at my firm and iOS 11 would have done it.  So many problems.

The folks with Android phones?  No issues.  :pimp

The people with Blackberries?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl *ahem*
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »

But Apple itself doesn't have a policy for "replace battery." They've got a flat repair rate which covers anything that's wrong with your iOS device, and it's exorbitant enough that a tremendous amount of third-party repair businesses have cropped up. Apple doesn't benefit from replacing batteries, but this "hidden" feature does appear to make their hardware run for longer, but at slower speeds.

Essentially, I don’t think the idea of throttling the phone to lengthen battery life is batshit stupid, but it should be an option in setttings and not something that is turned on that you can’t turn off. Or at least recommend give some sort of notice like “your battery life is now <75% of a new battery, we recommend replacing the battery at an authorized Apple repair center to avoid tgrottling and unexpected shutdowns. click here to make an appointment.”

Instead it just seems like planned obsolescence to sctively make the older models perform worse than they could. Sure they have an ambivalent explanation, but I’m sure Tim Cook is aware that this has the follow on benefit of making the new phone look even better in comparison.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Reading back through this thread, chrono sounds like a spousal abuse victim.

You can leave Apple, chrono. I promise it will be ok.
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Reading back through this thread, chrono sounds like a spousal abuse victim.

You can leave Apple, chrono. I promise it will be ok.

:uguu

I've been this close (**holds fingers microns apart**) several times. The one time I bought a refurbished PowerBook, it was the biggest lemon I've ever encountered in 35 years of computing. It had stuff wrong with it all the time, which nearly made me ditch Apple. The little Japan-exclusive Panasonic notebook I had from work was better in every way except the touch-pad.

When I took it in for repairs the first time, I hadn't known that Apple had decided to "Think Different" about turning shit in for repair as well. I'd taken a train and a half-hour walk to the Apple Store in Shinsaibashi, only to be told I couldn't see anyone without an appointment, and without one I'd have to wait 6 hours for the next opening. I just about flipped my goddamned lid.

The next couple of times it went in for repairs, I had my appointment, but they tried to tell me I'd damaged it myself. It had ARRIVED damaged, but they were unwilling to take the blame for it. Apple employees at HQ have been baffled why they didn't just give me a new unit and move on. I think Japan assumed the foreigner (me) was trying to pull a fast one. My loathing increased.

When an old iPod Touch had a headphone jack problem, they offered to repair it for ⅔ the price of a new iPod Touch. There was no other repair option. $2 headphone jack, they wanted $270 to fix it, but they'd give me $50 credit toward a new purchase if I liked. I was struck dumb.

When I tried getting Apple to look at my iPhone 4S, they claimed that there was nothing they could do about its (now legendary) battery life. I've heard the 4S called "The World's Greatest Corded Phone." They offered to let me buy a newer phone for some exhorbitant amount.

Anyway, yeah — I have strong doubts about the Apple ecosystem, and my next computer's going to be a mid-range desktop PC so I can play Steam games and have decent graphic capabilities.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2017, 03:55:04 AM »
Do you mean deleting from an iOS device any 32b apps which can't run anyway? Or is this something about apps which pass distribution approval and are then reneged?

No it has this dumb "offload unused apps" option that arbitrarily decides to delete apps from the phone without deleting the icon, putting a little cloud icon next to the app name indicating that it's in the cloud I guess. My phone died playing hearthstone last night and after it restarted guess what? Hearthstone gone for some distinguished mentally-challenged reason

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2017, 05:09:51 AM »

No it has this dumb "offload unused apps" option that arbitrarily decides to delete apps from the phone without deleting the icon, putting a little cloud icon next to the app name indicating that it's in the cloud I guess. My phone died playing hearthstone last night and after it restarted guess what? Hearthstone gone for some distinguished mentally-challenged reason

:o
Weird. Offload Unused Apps is an opt-in feature by default, and there's no way it should have done that. Nasty.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »
I don't remember turning it on, but it's possible. It's so weird though, it also unloaded the default Maps app a week or two ago, which I don't use a lot but seems like it would be something permanently installed.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
I don't remember turning it on, but it's possible. It's so weird though, it also unloaded the default Maps app a week or two ago, which I don't use a lot but seems like it would be something permanently installed.

Haha~! Yeah, you've got a bug. There's no way Apple'd be unloading their own app. It's horrible just trying to get rid of Health.app or News.app

kingv

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
Their own maps app is horrid also.

The directions are infinitely worse than google maos

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2017, 10:10:52 AM »

According to Google's own stats there's far more 14-year old Latino girls with cheap parents than previously realised.

(Image removed from quote.)

4-5 years later and this still applies. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge Googie be slow on getting "Project Treble" up sooner than they did. Shame OEMs are trying to avoid it by releasing more Nougat/7 phones since if they release 8-phones they have to support Treble out of box and that allows folks to just flash a ROM of Stock Android. :doge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »
On topic though: Despite being Steve's pick, I feel like Jobs would be rolling in his grave in pure anger over how Apple under Cook has turned out. I like Apple, but holy shit there's absolutely no reason to get OS X anymore. :'(

Also $5000 Pro Mac.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl They are fucking insane.