Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330534 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Re: star trek
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »
Please don't link to Huelen posts about Star Trek.

Every single one is evidence of brain damage.
MMA

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #481 on: April 14, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »
You only say that because you didn't read the comics! You missed two-thirds of the story!

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #482 on: April 14, 2016, 07:21:21 AM »
You only say that because you didn't read the comics! You missed two-thirds of the story!

Two-thirds of the most emotional story of all time!
MMA

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #483 on: April 14, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation
UPDATE! A trusted source has chimed in and told me that it looks like the show will be a seasonal anthology, which means the first season will be set post-Undiscovered Country. After that the entire Star Trek universe is potentially open. So those of you hoping for a post-Dominion War show... don't give up hope. That could come some day.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kelsey time...for two seasons!
[close]

Hmmm... That could be interesting and an original approach.

But honestly I've always liked the ability to get to know a cast over years.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #484 on: April 14, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Also imagine the first season of TNG over and over again

Stoney Mason

« Reply #485 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
Playing devil's advocate if they suck one season, its not like we have to suffer through 8 more seasons of the same shit cast.

(Although generally speaking the problem with bad trek is poor writing. I don't care really super much about insane acting ability. )
[close]

At least people can die if its an anthology show. That would lend a certain gravitas to trek that its always missed.

benjipwns

« Reply #486 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:47 AM »
two years into their famous five-year mission. And, truth be told, the voyage is wearing on them. “They’ve come to rest at a Federation outpost, a sort of diplomatic hub,” says Pegg, who worked with Doug Jung on the screenplay.

But their momentary R&R is interrupted by Idris Elba's blue-faced alien antagonist Krall, who instead of showing his distaste for the Federation's ideals and reach through a strongly-worded letter to his local council, decides to unleash violence upon the poor Enterprise and its crew. “What’s the point of it all?” says Pegg of the big question that drives Kirk and co this time around. “We’re gathering a great community within the galaxy, but to what end? What does it all mean?”

As for Lin, he, like Krall (without the guns or nasty attitude) is also in a dismantling mood... “This is the 50th anniversary,” he says. “I felt like it was important to really deconstruct the idea of Star Trek, the idea of the Federation and why it’s special. We’ll really be poking at a lot of different things.”
Yes. What’s interesting about him is that he has a real beef with what the Enterprise stands for. Krall’s a character who’s deeply steeped in hatred — in my opinion, a well-earned hatred — for the Federation. It felt quite political. There’s a relatability to what’s happening in our world. Not everybody’s happy with what everybody calls the good guys.

Krall is predatory. He’s not one for big speeches. He is one for going to get what he wants. If that means having to do it himself, outside of his army, he is not afraid to do that.
time to put that new trailer out already paramount

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #487 on: May 05, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #488 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #489 on: May 18, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #490 on: May 18, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
Like on may 5th when I made that post?

Tasty

« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »
Like on may 5th when I made that post?

Like when they sent the first PR announcing the series.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #492 on: May 18, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
Not that it would air weekly instead of all at once like the netflix model, I believe.  Also if it is old news I don't care. 

Tasty

« Reply #493 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Not that it would air weekly instead of all at once like the netflix model, I believe.  Also if it is old news I don't care.

Shut up, slut.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #494 on: May 18, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »
Just saying if you're right I don't care, but if I'm right na na na-na na.  I'm right BTW.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »
New logo is pertty awesome.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2016, 07:38:19 AM »

I still don't like it but I'm not the target market so my opinion is rather pointless.

benjipwns

« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
 :rejoice

trek is back, lin and pegg did it brehs :whoo

dat warp shot at ~0:25  :lawd

kirk grabbing an old crashed ship to save the day :gladbron

:neogaf :patel :expert

pls be gud
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #499 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06:39 AM »
A small bundle of old Trek games for 80% off:
https://www.gog.com/promo/20160523_weekly_staff_picks_star_trek
Star Trek™: 25th Anniversary
1992 Adventure

Star Trek™: Judgment Rites
1993 Adventure

Star Trek™: Starfleet Academy
1997 Simulation

Star Trek™: Starfleet Command Gold Edition
2000 Strategy

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
http://www.treknews.net/2016/06/23/the-abramsverse-is-no-more/

Pretty neat: "The Kelvin Timeline."

It makes sense because, well, we've had multiple timelines for ages. The Goatees and Sashes timeline, the Enterprise C timeline, even All Good Things, the TNG series finale, was essentially an alternate timeline.

Ah, TNG: the GOAT

Tasty

« Reply #501 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #502 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #503 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
For what its worth the song is fine and its actually probably the best trailer for the movie so far as I've thought the others sucked.

benjipwns

« Reply #504 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:26 AM »
Maurice Postal1 day ago
RiRi + Star Trek = smart marketing for a change.
:doge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #505 on: June 28, 2016, 08:23:05 AM »
It's been such an awkward move to try to make Star Trek hip.

Tasty

« Reply #506 on: June 28, 2016, 09:12:48 AM »
Maurice Postal1 day ago
RiRi + Star Trek = smart marketing for a change.
:doge

Only a rere would think that was smart.

benjipwns

« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »
It's too loud for the rest of the trailer, it becomes kinda a big mush, especially when she starts singing. And it's out of tempo with the bulk of the trailer's pacing.

Actually, all three of the trailers have mixed the music too loud. The second one "worked" for me only because the music let in the dialogue. And even parts of it were mixed stupidly loud.

Still irrationally hyped for this and Suicide Squad.

benjipwns

« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

Takei explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.
Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'"
Not long after Cho's bombshell call came another, this one from Lin, again informing that Sulu was indeed to be gay in Star Trek Beyond. Takei remained steadfastly opposed to the decision.

"I said, 'This movie is going to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, the 50th anniversary of paying tribute to Gene Roddenberry, the man whose vision it was carried us through half a century. Honor him and create a new character. I urged them. He left me feeling that that was going to happen," Takei says.

After that, all was quiet from Beyond until a few months ago, when Takei received an email from Pegg "praising me for my advocacy for the LGBT movement and for my pride in Star Trek," he says. "And I thought to myself, 'How wonderful! It’s a fan letter from Simon Pegg. Justin had talked to him!'" Takei was certain the creative team had rethought their decision to make Sulu gay.

That is until one month ago, when he received an email from Cho informing him that the actor was about to embark on an international media tour for Beyond. Cho said it was bound to come out that his character was gay, and "what should he do?" A disappointed Takei told Cho to go about his promotional duties, but that he was "not going to change" his mind on the matter.

"I really tried to work with these people when at long last the issue of gay equality was going to be addressed," Takei says. "I thought after that conversation with Justin that was going to happen. Months later, when I got that email from Simon Pegg, I was kind of confused. He thinks I’m a great guy? Wonderful. But what was the point of that letter? I interpreted that as my words having been heard."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #509 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
I'm fine with this.  I mean its the new timeline so things can change.  We just have to assume that the destruction of the U.S.S. Kelvin made Sulu gay.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
I'd like to see a montage of all the moments from the previous two Kelvin Timeline Star Trek movies showing Pine's Kirk thinking back on all the gay things Cho's Sulu was doing during them, a la Brooklyn Nine-Nine's "Does anyone else get a gay vibe?" reaction sequence.

Stoney Mason

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #512 on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »
Justin Lin knows how to build a blockbuster

benjipwns

« Reply #513 on: July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »
Rating: Rotten

Ultimately, Beyond is a movie about characters - and character. But that's half the battle. The other half of the battle is... battle. And Lin, who has such a strong track record with vehicular mayhem, doesn't bring his "A" game.

Chris Nashawaty
Entertainment Weekly
 Top Critic
:derp

benjipwns

« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2016, 12:22:16 AM »
the score keeps going higher with each review was like 86% when I first clicked Stoney's link now it's up to 93%, this better not be an 2009 (95%) or Into Darkness (87%) style bait and switch job

justin lin and simon pegg saved trek :rejoice

i knew if we just believed hard enough :preach
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #515 on: July 23, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #516 on: July 23, 2016, 06:27:43 PM »
The first half of the movie is muddled with pacing issues and surprisingly poorly shot action scenes. By the 2nd hour though it finds its footing and action is pretty damn good.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #517 on: July 24, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
Please be good.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #518 on: July 24, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
I like the bronze ship. A nice change up.

« Reply #519 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
i like the part where the enterprises and capt bones beat the bad guy with rap music and they were all surfing through the drones that made me think about drone warfare and how bad it is man this movie is deep anyway beastie boys RULE

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
God fucking damn I love RLM.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #523 on: July 28, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »
They.....liked it?

Hmm, maybe I'll have to give it a shot after all.
MMA

benjipwns

« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2016, 06:25:56 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
TBF they kind of ignore the the backwater space concept a few seasons in where the statement that they can't get more was the first season.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
TBF they kind of ignore the the backwater space concept a few seasons in where the statement that they can't get more was the first season.
They probably figured out that they could manufacture parts with the replicator, once power was no longer a primary concern.

benjipwns

« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2016, 03:17:37 PM »
Yeah, there's lots of ways they could probably acquire the means to make them or alter others. It's not as rough to explain away as the shuttle thing. Maybe that's what the 100 crew members you never saw were doing, constantly making new shuttles. Why isn't there a video count of that?

I do like the part where they're like "oh, we changed all the torpedoes for this specific use" and then fire a bunch of regular ones.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2016, 10:54:02 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #529 on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #530 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:54 AM »
Wanted to marathon I to VI this weekend but only got up to III. I've seen Wrath of Khan and knew most of how I and III went down but otherwise hadn't seen them before.

Live-tweeted thoughts:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Jesus I get that they were excited to have a budget but this 20-minute shot of the Enterprise's exterior is just gratuitous. #StarTrekI

These uniforms are terrible. #StarTrekI

Also I never knew TNG ripped off its theme from this movie. #StarTrekI

Bones looks like shit. #StarTrekI

Considering the time these effects are pretty rad. Dig the sound effects for the cloud too. #StarTrekI

Spock is being kinda a dick. #StarTrekI

http://chaolwestfa11.tumblr.com/post/149159711879 #StarTrekI

Uhura's 'fro gives me life. #StarTrekI

This movie is goddamn strange. #StarTrekI

Well that was a thing. #StarTrekI

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

And now... #StarTrekII

I want to tweet but I'm just too engrossed. Not my first time seeing #StarTrekII, but still.

Oh shit Reliant and Enterprise are meeting. itshappening.gif #StarTrekII

I don't understand the bibs. Then again I shouldn't be complaining after the outfits in the last movie. #StarTrekII

"Here it comes." One of the most epic and underrated lines in film. The music here too... phew. #StarTrekII

From hell's heart, I stab at thee.

For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee! #StarTrekII

I swear I'm not tearing up. I swear. #StarTrekII

Now that's a movie. #StarTrekII

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

This whole sequence of breaking McCoy out is soooooooo much fun, goddamn. First time watching #StarTrekIII!

Damn Nichelle Nichols being a badass. Whew. #StarTrekIII

That was a damn, damn good final fistfight. #StarTrekIII

I'd give I a 2/5, II a 5/5, and III a 4/5.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Wrath of Khan is amazing; it was utter hubris of Abrams to essentially try to remake the best Trek film.

Tasty

« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »
Into Darkness isn't really like Wrath of Khan much at all aside from Khan being the bad guy. Which brings me to one other tweet.

How to make Star Trek Into Darkness suck much less:

- No magic blood
- Cumberbatch is one of Khan's people but not Khan
- No Kirk death/revival

No magic blood means we skip the filler sad family scene and jump straight to Khan blowing up the UK office on his own. Cleaner.

Cumberbatch should have been one of Khan's people. Not only does he look nothing like Ricardo Montalban physically but his entire acting stint as Khan was totally different too (I don't care if this was "explained" in a fucking comic.) If you make him one of the eugenics people then there's more of a threat for the audience (if he wakes up 70 others it'll be bad, but if one of them is Khan then ohhh fuuucck.)

No Kirk death means we avoid trying to redo the "KHAN!!!" scream, which is a plus. Axing the revival also fixes a pretty lame deus ex and fake-out.

I'd probably have been pretty happy with Into Darkness had it done this. It'd still be full of plot holes, but as a fun action movie I can look over most of them. These small fixes would elevate it from 2/5 to 4/5 for me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #533 on: August 28, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:25 AM »
Apparently, the production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a total mess almost top-to-bottom and was barely finished in time for its premier. The director's cut fixes some stuff, but I guess there was only so much they could do. Having said that, I still like it in a bid-budget 60's style scifi movie kind of way.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #535 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:31 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #536 on: September 02, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
I've now watched all six original Star Trek movies!

Classics: II, VI
Great: III, IV
OK: The Motion Picture
Bleh: V

I think I might like VI the most, but it's hard to tell. Wrath of Khan is just so classic, and there's no beating that James Horner score. But the plot for VI was quite a bit more layered and the cinematography was the best in the series - it looks guuuuud.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #537 on: September 02, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »
Man I watched some DS9 with my son last night. That space station captain of whatever is one crazy dude.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #538 on: September 03, 2016, 12:24:34 AM »
I think I might like VI the most, but it's hard to tell. Wrath of Khan is just so classic, and there's no beating that James Horner score. But the plot for VI was quite a bit more layered and the cinematography was the best in the series - it looks guuuuud.
VI is the best. Let it be known. Handles two plots without seeming like they're two clear plots (here's something actually more like a 1970s political thriller you Winter Soldier fan dopes) but loses none of the wit and TOS character stuff that the crew had going way back. Insurrection tries to do something similar and falls flat on its face.

Only flaw is Uhura looking through those damn books. :wag

II's only flaw is the pacing at times, it can really drag when it doesn't need to. But it uses that slow pacing so well in every other instance. Otherwise it's perfect.

JJ's team was a fool to take Khan, Carol Marcus and some semi-equivalent of Genesis and ignore all the rest of the film. He couldn't even give us 15 minutes aping the old submarine battle dramas II rips off when the bad ship shows up! The contrast between I/II/III and 09/ID/BY in pacing alone is crazy. Even though Beyond slows things waaaaaay down compared to the first two. Difference in how movies are made these days. No lingering. No breathing.

Man I watched some DS9 with my son last night. That space station captain of whatever is one crazy dude.
Avery Brooks can be a little...off...at times. He's operating on some other wavelengths.

Because of the Prophets  :ohhh
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:32:20 AM by benjipwns »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #539 on: September 03, 2016, 05:27:30 AM »
^to say nothing of the spirits