Author Topic: star trek  (Read 69616 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Re: star trek
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »
decon chamber  :wtf

did gainan oil down riker off camera? or does this get phased out by the 24th century?

I am missing the reference. Was this in an episode, or are your referring to some Ted Danson action for Riker?

Bakula Enterprise had a "decontamination chamber" that they went through after away missions, which was just a blatant excuse to get T'Pol naked and all oiled up.
MMA

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
T'pol or however you spell that oils down the engineer dude in Enterprise

I remember because the only thing I liked of the show was T'pol

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »
Boogie'd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:35 AM »
:fans_self

:-[

benjipwns

• Listen to it. It sounds solid and professional.
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2013, 04:35:30 AM »
deeper I get into star trek, the more confused I get by the negative response to the 2009 film.
I actually dislike Star Trek as a film more than I dislike it as a Star Trek film. If that makes any sense. (And like it more than Generations and V at the very least.)

II and VI and First Contact are all films I like enough alone (especially the first two) that get kicked up another level due to being Star Trek.

I dislike Star Trek for its dumb incoherent plot. And beyond that the action just isn't interesting enough to catch my attention. I do love many of the little Star Trek "touches" to it. I actually think Pine and Urban are better than Quinto. I kinda liked Pike. I hatteeeeddd Nero and everything involving him, especially since it wasted Bana and wrecked up the plot.

And I still think tying it to the original continuity is what introduced half the plot holes. Beyond that my "fanboy" hate is tied to the ship, it's too big, bright, etc. I loved the tight naval/sub versions that II, VI, First Contact and Enterprise show. (And the Defiant of course  :-*.)

I am kinda slowly getting excited for Into Darkness despite everything that's telling me no. I hope that with no pressure to establish their version and such they can just do something great that maybe pulls in Trek. That said, I haven't liked anything from any of these guys (except I used to watch Crossing Jordan :-[) and doubt that'll start here.

And the name, especially the name.  :-\

:-\
meowr

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
Yeah, after The Hulk, and 2009 Star Trek, when watching HANNA the other night, I was completely surprised that Bana can act.

Esch

• burnt chocolate / dirty cake
« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
i didnt even notice in that. too busy getting eye raped by Hannas seizure inducing cinematography

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »
Bakula Enterprise had a "decontamination chamber" that they went through after away missions, which was just a blatant excuse to get T'Pol naked and all oiled up.

Reminds me of this episode which at the time was touted as a big social deal by the marketing people but was really just a way to slip in some lipstick lesbian kissing in an episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejoined
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_kiss_episode

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:56:32 PM by Stoney Mason »

« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »
Could never hope to get the GF to watch Star Trek. That's like breaking someone into RPGs by having them play Wizardry first.

So, the past few nights, I've had her watch Battlestar Galactica. So far, she can tolerate it and she hates sci-fi with a passion. No goofy looking aliens for her to laugh at in BSG, so that's a big plus. The Cylons are perfect -- they're killer robots, she can understand killer robots. The tech-speech isn't overwhelming to her, either.

Hopefully, once we're done with this show and she becomes better acclimated to the theme of space travel, I can sneak a few TNG episodes into her TV diet. Who knows, maybe she'll even give Star Wars a try (she's never watched any of the movies). Sigh.

Wish me luck.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #249 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
I've noticed females tend to like BSG more. It's relatively accessible. They generally have to have some innner nerd in them though to get into Star Trek.

cool breeze

« Reply #250 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
yeah, BSG is mostly regular drama.

First episode of TNG is out there with Q testing the enterprise crew, freeing a captive space jellyfish, and that's without getting into the show's premise.  There aren't as many touchstones to ground TNG in our ordinary lives.

also, Enterprise is a really unengaging show.  TNG, DS9, and occasionally with Voyager, I'd be so taken that I solely focus on the episode instead of my work.  With Enterprise, nothing is particularly intriguing or entertaining, so I end up concentrating on my work.  Can't even muster up any criticism of it.

Esch

« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
TNG is easier for girls to look at if you pitch it as Friends in space. which it is on some level.

benjipwns

« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
It's well past time for the Joey in space then:
meowr

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
TNG is Barney Miller in space.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've been repeating this for years hoping just one person would realize what a brilliant insight this is.  Validate me!

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
holy shit ray wise in who watches the watcher

i wish he had been able to play the hulk at some point. him or klaus kinski would be fantastic.
this was a great episode all round, i love when they completely fuck the prime directive. i would totally worship the picard.
thx

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
Picard. Man, what a stud.

Esch

« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
So I watched 'The Captains' last night, really interesting.

1)Chris Pine seems like a pretty neutral guy. :lol at Shatner saying "you are me 30 years ago" and Pine looking at him back like 'uhhhh, yeahhh, no.'

2)Kate Mulgrew aged terribly, and i just felt like everyone gave her way too much credit. She was an inconsistent actor all the way through, who cares if she showed up to work on time lol

3)Patrick Stewart is just god.

4)Scott Bakula's show kinda sucked, but he seemed down to earth. I think i'd like to get a beer with him more than any other captain besides...

5)Avery Brooks. this dude is cool as hell but he's also weird as shit. he has this allegorical/metaphorical way of speaking sometimes that actually just makes him seem like Ben Sisko IRL. I feel like he might be a little crazy.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #257 on: March 14, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
I'd have liked to see Bakula in a Lord of Illusions sequel. That movie is severely under-appreciated.

« Reply #258 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
So I watched 'The Captains' last night, really interesting.

5)Avery Brooks. this dude is cool as hell but he's also weird as shit. he has this allegorical/metaphorical way of speaking sometimes that actually just makes him seem like Ben Sisko IRL. I feel like he might be a little crazy.

He was weird. He's like a former black militant turned music scholar.

jiji

« Reply #259 on: March 15, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »

Seems like the dude spent a little too much time with the Prophets. I mean, he's cool as hell, but at the same time, crazy as hell. I don't know how he sobered up his demeanor enough to play Sisko. Unless the way he is in The Captains is something that's developed since he was on DS9.

And did anybody else cringe every time Shatner tried to make the conversation about himself and started to tell some unfunny, non-sequitur anecdote? The dude thinks he's likable and funny and relevant but he really is just That Guy. I watched the roundtable discussion disc that came with the TOS movie BD set, and Shatner does about the same thing there, but the editors didn't let him monopolize the end result.
OTL

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: March 15, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

He's amazing in anything.

"But it was too late. I'd already seen everything."
@

« Reply #261 on: March 15, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »

He's amazing in anything.

"But it was too late. I'd already seen everything."

Yes.

It was pretty revealing how he explained his early chemistry (or lack thereof) with the rest of the cast. How he regretted being so distant from everyone, before he finally allowed himself to build a strong working and personal relationship with them. In fact, you can tell in the acting from the earlier seasons -- Picard seemed so stiff, bitter, and downright unapproachable in those earlier episodes.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
Patrick Stewart is GOAT man

benjipwns

« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
There was a thing a few years ago with Stewart (with a mustache), Frakes, Shatner and Nimoy hosted by Whoopi:

That guy has uploaded the whole thing.
meowr

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
That's pretty cool, thanks.

Esch

« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »
btw i watched this:

Brent Spiner is just that dude.

cool breeze

« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2013, 02:30:49 AM »
SiSSSko is A prEEEty draMaTic guy.  back when I watched the captains,  it got me thinking avery brooks toned down his natural tendencies for the role.  dude's on another level.

Brent Spiner and Jon Frakes aged the worst out of the bunch.  It's harder on Data as a character.  Riker just needs to convince us he's a ladies man, and, uh, that episode where his clone happened to get chubby too, after starving on a planet or w/e.

You could argue that Sir Patrick Stewart looked old when he was younger, but he's still looking baller in his 70s.  So dignified.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
All of Star Trek is free on Hulu until March 31, get yo Jedi on
fat

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
I've mentioned it before but I don't like Deep Space nearly as much as certain pockets of the Internet do. I always thought I only saw 3 or 4 seasons of the show but I was looking at the episode descriptions last night on Netflix and apparently I stopped at the beginning of the final season. I'll finish it up then since I'm pretty close to the end.

I doubt I would be able to push myself to watch Voyager though. I saw 5 random episodes across the run of that show and I thought each one was worse than the last.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
Watched a number of Deep Space Nine episodes last night in the final season. The funny thing is even some of those I've seen and just forgot. I think mainly what it comes down to is I haven't seen the last few. Not sure why that happened back in the day.

Watching it though has sort of made me realize, my main problem with trek from that era. Familiarity breeds contempt. With each Trek show I became more and more tired of seeing the same themes and ideas repeated over and over in a very similar format. Basically I like each Star Trek show less than the prior one. And its probably not even an issue of quality (except for Voyager which I think stinks from my limited viewing), it's just how many times can I see a malfunctioning holodeck episode or something is about to explode so let's fix it at the last second episode. To be fair Deep Space Nine is less of an offender here as its more about relationships between characters but still it has that Formula Star Trek feel and that's about when the formula started to feel tired for me.

Despite not being a mega fan of the movie reboot, I would welcome a new Star Trek show now though. Enough time has passed where I feel like a TV show would have a different feel. The way I feel TOS feels different than TNG but I still really like them both.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2013, 12:01:54 AM »
Yeah, I took to calling it Deep Space 90210, because it was always about the social drama between station regulars. Also, I hated the relationship, constant ragging, from Keiko to O'Brien. Put that woman in an airlock and vent it.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
I've been mixing in some next generation episodes so I don't burn out. The thing is I'm only watching my favorite episodes or the ones considered the best so it sort of gives an unfair representation of how good next generation was. That nostalgia.

I haven't seen most of these since they aired unlike TOS which I saw many times in syndication and rewatched on DVD just 5 years ago or so.

I have a bad feeling I'm going to try to gut my way through voyager some day just to be a completionist.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2013, 02:34:35 AM »
Yeah, I've got a similar feeling. I keep thinking I want more Trek, and "it can't be that bad!"

In the end, I always remember that I was much easier to entertain earlier in life, and Voyager still wasn't enough to keep me hooked.

Esch

« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
literally you could skip to the last season/episode of voyager now and be nonw the worse for it

cool breeze

« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
yeah, Voyager's last episode is barely linked to the series progression and you don't need to watch most of the show to 'get' the conclusion.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Show begins with them believing it takes 70 years to return home.  Every once in a while there's an event that pushes them forward, like Kes reducing it to 65 years or something.  Or when they could return, but don't, because Janeway's bad decisions.  Then in the last episode alternate future Janeway's cheats by giving them future tech, throwing them in a worm hole, and everyone wins.

And I tried going back to Enterprise.  Gave up 20 minutes later.  I will watch the original series one of these days, but the one-two of voyager and enterprise got me to back away from the franchise for now.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
I put the finishing up on Deep Space Nine thing on hold because I was enjoying watching TNG. I'm probably about 3 to 5 episodes from finishing up all my favorites and then I'll go back to finishing off Deep Space.

It's been fun to rewatch that stuff. Some real classic TNG episodes and its easy to watch since it's not really serial and each episode is a one off. It's funny. I prefer a real serial storyline in my TV shows but I have to admit its easier to go back and watch really episodic stuff because you don't have to remember a bunch of plot stuff and it all stands alone.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »
Isn't ST on Netflix for free, or was that just a limited time?

When I was in the USA last year, I started pouring through them, but didn't get far before returning to Japan.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
Watched the finale of Next Generation last night. You forget how damn good a finale that was. In general TNG when its at is best is better than I gave it credit for.

Eli Gulgin

« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »
Huh I watched the finale too just a few days ago. I almost cried lol :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #280 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
That is a damned fine finale to a show.

Too bad about those movies, huh?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
That is a damned fine finale to a show.

Too bad about those movies, huh?

I actually think Star Trek: Insurrection was a good TNG movie just because it actually felt like TNG. It has a lot of good character moments, it was basically about them exploring this new planet and helping this small race of people and not like a epic FATE OF HUMANITY HANGING IN THE BALANCE, it felt good. It wasn't a good movie movie, but a good TNG movie.
@

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
Sure, I can get with that.

But then Generations, and Nemesis make Encounter at Far Point look like high art.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2013, 02:42:37 AM »
I watched Measure of a Man this evening. I caught feelings.  :'(

I'm back on DS9. I should have that finished up by the weekend.

And I decided instead of being a complete loser and watching all of Voyager, I'll just be a partial loser and watch the 10 or 15 highest rated episodes. That will save me a lot of time while still being able to get a sense of what the series offered.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »
That's a pretty superb episode. Maddox was a great love-to-hate-him character. His arrogance was epic.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
I'm finding it hard to maintain my interest in the final stretch of DS9 so I just said fuck it and started watching voyager. I expanded my plan. I'm going to watch any episode that has a decent imdb rating or any episodes that makes any significant best of List that I can find. Probably also all the season finales and such. So I'll save the DS9 finale to finish up with the Voyager finale at the same time.

So I will end up watching hopefully a decent amount of the "better" episodes while utterly avoiding the absolute worst ones. In a way its a bit fun. I've never watched a show in such a mercenary way before and whatever I think about Voyager it is almost completely new to me so that's always a little interesting at first.

I completely skipped the first season. The only episode that seems to be well regarded there is the pilot which I saw when it originally came on.

I watched about 7 or 8 episodes in the second season. It's been okay. The show is highly flawed of course but it does occasionally hit the high themes trek is known for.

"Tuvix" is a surprisingly decent episode about rights. It's almost a poor man's Measure of a Man with a twist. "Prototype" is a classic style trek episode that would feel at home in TOS and works well because of that. And Death Wish is another take on Measure of a Man except with suicide being the right fought over. Those were sort of the high points so far.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:57:25 AM by Stoney Mason »

Esch

« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
how can you find it hard to maintain interest in the end of ds9?

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
I've never found that series as interesting as a lot of internet people do. Different strokes and all that. I know my opinion is in the minority on that subject.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:45:50 PM by Stoney Mason »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
On season 3, episode 4, Who Watches the Watchers

I loved everything about that episode.
nat

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
Decided to give Stark Trek a shot. As a kid I used to sneak downstairs on Saturdays to watch the early cartoons; I'd always get up around 6PM, but the cartoons would start at 7PM. Next Generations came on around 6:30 or so, and I'd often find myself watching eps; it was interesting but I never really kept up with it. Likewise I had seen some of the original series thanks to my mom, but never got super into it.

I started on the first series, and last week I watched The Cage (netflix). It's not hard to see why that pilot failed; it's a very good episode, but very dense and throws you into the deep end of the pool. After that I watched The Man Trap, which is the Shatner pilot/reboot. Not as good as The Cage but pretty good nonetheless.

Esch

« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
watch TNG first. the og series overall isn't as good and has tons of filler.

Eli Gulgin

« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
Nah, TOS first or you won't appreciate it enough since you'd be comparing it with TNG the whole time. It just makes more sense to watch where it all began first as events and aliens have developed somewhat by TNG and it would be backwards to watch that first. I like going in chronological order anyway, I'm boring like that.

I should rewatch TOS again sometime soon.

Esch

« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
agreed its unfair to the TOS cause it looks like a solid 6/10 next to TNG

:heh

The majority of the lore and sensibility of the universe seems to be most clear in TNG minus the Vulcan shit, also it doesn't suffer from the dating..

Eli Gulgin

« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
I never thought TOS looked dated. I mean okay it looks dated compared to scifi now but I've never had a problem with cheap sets and tacky wardrobe and whatever that was just normal for the time. Fuck me, I think I have a super great ability to travel back in time in my mind and imagine I'm watching old tv shows and movies at the time they were made, geez I'm so cool. No but really, watching something old and saying it's dated it's like no shit. Fucking Predator is dated and it's still one of the best movies ever. Or Hitchcock movies.

Oh and TNG is dated, the 80s haircuts, man. Beverly's hair in the pilot :-X The whole pilot is far worse than any TOS episode, thank Jebus TNG found its way later on.

cool breeze

« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
problem with starting at TOS is that it's uphill to TNG, slight dip to DS9, then a steep drop from there to the Reboot.

i'm currently ending on TOS and it's nice to enjoy a Star Trek show again  :heart

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
TOS and TNG both looked pretty nice once they shined them up for Blu-Ray. I've enjoyed rewatching both series.
@

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
TOS has always been my favorite. I like the origin stuff and I like the big three more than any other Star Trek characters. Certainly childhood nostalgia plays a part in that. As far as filler TNG is just as filled with it. Not that I don't like TNG.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:52:00 PM by Stoney Mason »

Esch

« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
I would smash Beverly crusher s1 into a sun

cool breeze

« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »
TOS has always been my favorite. I like the origin stuff and I like the big three more than any other Star Trek characters. Certainly childhood nostalgia plays a part in that. As far as filler TNG is just as filled with it. Not that I don't like TNG.

Filler/frivolous episodes live or die on the characters, imo.  TOS and TNG have great casts, so fillers are another excuse see them interact with one another.  That's ultimately why Voyager and Enterprise didn't stick with me.  Save for The Doctor, I couldn't care about the characters on either show.  Comparatively, I could watch Picard or Bashir do nothing for 40 minutes and derive some entertainment.

Some of The Doctor's episodes on Voyagers are terrific.  He made watching Voyager worthwhile.

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
Filler/frivolous episodes live or die on the characters, imo.  TOS and TNG have great casts, so fillers are another excuse see them interact with one another.

Yeah that's my opinion. Looking back on Star Trek now, I like that it isn't really serialized and the episodes mostly stand on their own. For me good Trek shows are the ones where I can remember specific classic episodes and love to see those episodes again and again.