Author Topic: star trek  (Read 77053 times)

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
Re: star trek
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:10 AM »
Borg lady (might redeem herself hopefully)
Unless you view her as purely eye candy, you will be in for a rough ride

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 07:10:02 AM »
On Voyager though everything was top-down controlled, they couldn't do this, they had to use that, conflict amongst the crew wasn't allowed (even though one of the original core premises was the conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet)

I remember it was weird how they built that up at the start and almost immediately forgot about it. TBH it would probably have been lame anyway if they'd followed through (and dragged it out over years of being in situations where it was totally irrelevant?)
QED

Esch

• no investigation, no right to yeet
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Just finished S1. I really liked it, even though it was maybe too episodic to be really considered good. I'll definitely keep watching.

cool breeze

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
:bawl :bawl :bawl :bawl Tasha Yar

If she were around for measure of a man, they could've answered whether that event in episode 2 was rape, consensual, masturbation, or something else  :'(

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
star trek
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
Unzip

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »
Neelix is insufferable. I feel like B'elana was supposed to be the eye candy until they realized no fan was having it.

Esch

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
this new chick who replaced Dr. Crusher sucks ass. I hate her

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
this new chick who replaced Dr. Crusher sucks ass. I hate her

Crusher returns permanently in Season 3.
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
Have you hit the Whoopi episodes yet? What a terrible casting choice.

Esch

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
Have you hit the Whoopi episodes yet? What a terrible casting choice.
was she serving coffee to Wesley ? i was :lol but wasnt sure it was her

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
On Voyager though everything was top-down controlled, they couldn't do this, they had to use that, conflict amongst the crew wasn't allowed (even though one of the original core premises was the conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet)

I remember it was weird how they built that up at the start and almost immediately forgot about it. TBH it would probably have been lame anyway if they'd followed through (and dragged it out over years of being in situations where it was totally irrelevant?)

Whatever happened to the race of aliens that looked like tall oompa loompas that were the primary antagonists in the first season? And the organ stealers who also seemed like they might become the primary antagonists? They've both just kind of disappeared.

Also it is kind of weird that Voyager started off being so technologically superior to everyone and they had to wrestle with "do we help them with our technology or not interfere?" and now they are lucky if they are on even terms with everyone else.
WDW

benjipwns

• is trying his local libraries
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
The Kazon (oompa loompas) are around until the end of the second season, indeed that season has the only good usage of them and their original concept as warring "Crips/Bloods" sects. One reason they ditched the Kazon other than the fact they sucked was they eventually realized that Voyager had been traveling for two years and still kept running into these wannabe Klingon dopes who didn't even have transporters and whose only source of ships were ones they had stolen years ago that barely matched up with Voyager.

I think the evidence that Voyager writers couldn't help but ruin villains is to compare the Borg when they first get a hint of them, Species 8472 when first introduced and even the Hirogen at the start to Borg kids/Unimatrix Zero, BOOTHBY SIMULATION, and Nazi's on the Holodeck. Even individuals like The Borg Queen, Seska and Q fail to escape their erosion from contact with the true villain of the series, Captain Janeway.

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »
Just finished S1. I really liked it, even though it was maybe too episodic to be really considered good. I'll definitely keep watching.

Keep it up.

I would probably have suggested skipping season 1 altogether had it not introduced two reoccurring and pivotal characters of the series.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
star trek
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 01:20:29 AM »
Year of Hell on Voyager was pretty awesome. But that's basically the latter half of DS9.

Seriously, who DIDN'T get fucked over at least once on DS9? Even secondary characters like Garak and Nog get fucked hard.
HLR

Esch

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
this episode where theyre teaching Data humor is the most absurd thing

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
I'm watching an episode of TNG on BBC America about Troi falling in love with some boring looking guy. It's pretty much terrible.
dog

Robo

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
Just watch the movie.  The shows are dumb.  The old movies, too.
obo

treythemovie

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
I'm watching an episode of TNG on BBC America about Troi falling in love with some boring looking guy. It's pretty much terrible.
Well of course it is; its a Troi episode after all. Her character is the eye candy except she always keeps her clothes on and has nothing really going for her except for big boobs and a lack of competition.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
Bev Crusher was the best/hottest
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
the girl who spilled hot chocolate on picard is the best

taught me to thank my toaster

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
o_0

Esch

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Its extremely annoying how many of the episodes are based around some alien lifeform or humanoid trying to bone one of the females on the crew based on love at first sight or some other nonsense. And 60% of the time it's Troi, especially after Tasha kicked the bucket and Dr. Crusher left.

Also I'm :rofl at how much of this show/universe was taken to build Mass Effect. It's not copy-pasting, its like taking the skeleton of Star Trek and painting over it with Bioware.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
true villain of the series, Captain Janeway.

brilliant  :ohhh
o_0

Stoney Mason

• Our racist president
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
Also I'm :rofl at how much of this show/universe was taken to build Mass Effect. It's not copy-pasting, its like taking the skeleton of Star Trek and painting over it with Bioware.

It's the king fish template. Just like Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Esch

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
man yall were right. Season 3 is mostly pretty dope so far. Only episode i thought stuck out that was questionable was this one about Troi falling in love with some negotiator with weirdly spaced eyes. The rest are good. Wondering where the Borg are at.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
Season finale, your anus is gonna be assimilated.
@

cool breeze

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
Season 3 is also when the costumes changed from those lame tight fitting jumpsuits.  I like it when they stand up and tug down on the top half.  Plus Riker's fat in season 5, so the spandex wouldn't fly.  Not a fan of that weird captain's jacket in season 5, or how Picard keeps changing between it and the standard uniform.  And even though I haven't finished season 5 yet, I watched First Contact and Nemesis and the costumes there suck again.

First Contact and Nemesis both suck, btw.  I don't know if something big happens with the Borg between now and the end of the series, but First Contact ruins their allure.  They were legit scary in that first Q episode, even with the home depot make up. 

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
star trek
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
First Contact was the only good TNG movie. And this is including a film where Malcolm McDowell is the villain.
HLR

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
Season 3 is also when the costumes changed from those lame tight fitting jumpsuits.  I like it when they stand up and tug down on the top half.

Picard Manoeuvre ftw!
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
I watched TNG when it originally aired, bailed halfway through Season 1 because it was crap. I started watching again with Season 3, which kicked ass! Assuming that I'd missed something in Season 2, I went back and re-watched it later, but it turned out to have been A VERY GRADUAL IMPROVEMENT. Season 3 is the first good season of TNG.

When I get back to the USA, I'll watch DS9 in its entirety.

If anyone likes reading Star Trek stuff, Peter David has a series which is pretty good, New Frontier, featuring many of the popular recurring characters from TNG and DS9.

Esch

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
holy shit this chick who plays tashas sister is :drool:

Cindi Mayweather

• you took the chip, dipped it, took a bite, and dipped it again
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:00 AM »
how far in to tng are you escha

shit is bananas in season 3 yo

Esch

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:22 AM »
season 4 breh

man im jus waiting for shit to pop off for real with the romulans or borg but arrghhhhhaahhj

also im watching my first Cardassian episode

Esch

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
fuck the cardassians are ugly. they look like humans covered in foreskins

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:39 AM »
did you watch season 1 and 2? what did you think?

Esch

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:33 AM »
I liked them. I've noticed the tone of the series change a little bit. The adventures are now less random, less concerned with planetary exploration and more on interpersonal relationships. With seasons 2 and 3 i like how the dialogue of the show has changed a lot toward race conflict- I find it mostly pretty interesting among the different factions. I've noticed that this show is very much a grab bag; mysteries, action, romance, slice of life. It's almost like an attempt to cram every genre into one setting and honestly- the result is not bad at all given how genuinely ambitious that is; especially since its a science fiction program. Would I appreciate a tighter narrative instead of episodic storytelling? Maybe. I wouldn't wanna make the sacrifice of the quality, seriously quality worldbuilding that's going on here. As I progress into S4 it's only getting better and better. But I'm starting to get tired of waiting for an overarching plot or set of events to emerge. I mentioned earlier that I'm growing tired of the Romulan tease. Shit needs to happen. I wanna see that shit pop off like World War III. I doubt it will happen though. That being said, I still like the show a lot for what it is. But by its very nature it might be denying greatness when it denies focus.

That being said I love Data. Amazing character. I love how they use him as a reflection of human beings at every possible opportunity. It's obvious, but its still quite enjoyable at times and I can see how so many games movies and tv have used him as a reference point. I do not like how they execute Worf. who is a good idea, but the depth of klingon culture is poorly told. It's like when white people try to recreate imagery of samurai culture and the period, just feels like that same failure to communicate a culture.  I like Picard and Riker but they are predictable and almost too likeable. I think I'd give anything to be able to speak like Patrick Stewart though. Man radiates charisma. I think maybe the most underutilized character is Geordi, although i'm not sure how they could do better with it. I find it interesting that Star Trek is like the utopian librul society in a couple ways. It's like asking the question "how liberal can we be, and should we be, in the context of nonhuman cultures and effectively infinite resources". I can finally see why people fuck with this universe so hard.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
I like season 1 and 2. While I find them thematically and cohesively inconsistent, they're still so damn entertaining. The cast really makes the show, and despite its problems, they have enough bond and chemistry to make the earlier seasons worth it.

Esch

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2013, 03:26:58 AM »
i feel the same way. if you can get past the campy scooby doo nature of the whole thing theres just some good entertainment to be had. and maybe thats what i miss about 90s and 80s tv. it kind of knew that it was entertainment uber alles. i like my BSG etc but sometimes i just wanna chuckle at some space fuckery and TNG delivers that in spades

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »
Yup

Esch

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 03:34:46 AM »
i can definitely understand how the writers may have wanted to do something more intense or character driven. thats pretty much what i expect from DS9

benjipwns

• is trying his local libraries
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
If anyone likes reading Star Trek stuff, Peter David has a series which is pretty good, New Frontier, featuring many of the popular recurring characters from TNG and DS9.
New Frontier is probably the best Trek book series. The DS9 Relaunch is maybe the only thing close.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »
New Frontier is probably the best Trek book series. The DS9 Relaunch is maybe the only thing close.

:dap

Yes, any Trek fan who needs moar need look no further than Peter David's books; New Frontier is good, but for main cast, his other books are also quite good.

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
fuck the cardassians are ugly. they look like humans covered in foreskins

Get used to their ugly mugs. They're the primary antagonists for most of Deep Space Nine.

Once you're ready to jump on that ship, prepare for a rougher start than what you experienced in TNG. The early seasons of Deep Space Nine are, by far, more tough to sit through than the first 2 seasons of TNG. I don't know if it's coincidence, but DS9 improved significantly for me once Sisko got the beard; hence why I refer to the better seasons as "post-fro Sisko".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:04:00 PM by Nintendosbooger »

Esch

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
Yeah, whats the deal with that? Should I finish TNG or concurrently start DS9 at some point?

cool breeze

« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
I was wondering about that.  At some point more than one star trek show were on the air, right? or is it really TNG > DS9 > Voyager

and The Inner Light is a confusing episode
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:45:37 PM by fryinghigh »

Esch

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

Thank you based wiki

treythemovie

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
Yeah, whats the deal with that? Should I finish TNG or concurrently start DS9 at some point?
You should finish TNG. For what overlap there is, DS9 effectively takes place after TNG ends.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
Deanna troi is the worst character ever.

I can sense annoyance in this post. Yar > Troi.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
Deanna troi is the worst character ever.

I can sense annoyance in this post. Yar > Troi.
No.

Esch

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »
too hot to be the worst character ever

Esch

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »
troi's mother might be the worst character ever. the Janice of Trek

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
Troi is written badly, but that-era Marina Sirtis is hot.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
Wesley Crusher is by far the WOAT

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
Yeah, I remember back when UseNet was all the rage, and there was a group, alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die -- Wil Wheaton turned out to be an OK guy, but it sure is annoying having Wesley the Wonder Boy save the entire crew of professionals from utter disaster every week.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »
Wil Wheaton got a lot more hate than he deserved, yeah. His performance as Wesley was never the problem, the problem was that his character was terrible and the writers wanted him to be something that everyone hated.
dog

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »
Wes is just written badly because Roddenberry is a poof. Troi is just THERE and contributes NOTHING, has shit characterization, and has the worst episodes.

Esch

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »
i....i think Data just had sex

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
he had sex with yar man