Author Topic: star trek  (Read 326832 times)

treythemovie

Re: star trek
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
I'm watching an episode of TNG on BBC America about Troi falling in love with some boring looking guy. It's pretty much terrible.
Well of course it is; its a Troi episode after all. Her character is the eye candy except she always keeps her clothes on and has nothing really going for her except for big boobs and a lack of competition.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
Bev Crusher was the best/hottest
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
the girl who spilled hot chocolate on picard is the best

taught me to thank my toaster

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
o_0

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
true villain of the series, Captain Janeway.

brilliant  :ohhh
o_0

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
Also I'm :rofl at how much of this show/universe was taken to build Mass Effect. It's not copy-pasting, its like taking the skeleton of Star Trek and painting over it with Bioware.

It's the king fish template. Just like Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
Season finale, your anus is gonna be assimilated.
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
Season 3 is also when the costumes changed from those lame tight fitting jumpsuits.  I like it when they stand up and tug down on the top half.  Plus Riker's fat in season 5, so the spandex wouldn't fly.  Not a fan of that weird captain's jacket in season 5, or how Picard keeps changing between it and the standard uniform.  And even though I haven't finished season 5 yet, I watched First Contact and Nemesis and the costumes there suck again.

First Contact and Nemesis both suck, btw.  I don't know if something big happens with the Borg between now and the end of the series, but First Contact ruins their allure.  They were legit scary in that first Q episode, even with the home depot make up. 

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
First Contact was the only good TNG movie. And this is including a film where Malcolm McDowell is the villain.
HLR

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
Season 3 is also when the costumes changed from those lame tight fitting jumpsuits.  I like it when they stand up and tug down on the top half.

Picard Manoeuvre ftw!
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
I watched TNG when it originally aired, bailed halfway through Season 1 because it was crap. I started watching again with Season 3, which kicked ass! Assuming that I'd missed something in Season 2, I went back and re-watched it later, but it turned out to have been A VERY GRADUAL IMPROVEMENT. Season 3 is the first good season of TNG.

When I get back to the USA, I'll watch DS9 in its entirety.

If anyone likes reading Star Trek stuff, Peter David has a series which is pretty good, New Frontier, featuring many of the popular recurring characters from TNG and DS9.

Himu

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:00 AM »
how far in to tng are you escha

shit is bananas in season 3 yo
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:39 AM »
did you watch season 1 and 2? what did you think?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
I like season 1 and 2. While I find them thematically and cohesively inconsistent, they're still so damn entertaining. The cast really makes the show, and despite its problems, they have enough bond and chemistry to make the earlier seasons worth it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »
Yup
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
If anyone likes reading Star Trek stuff, Peter David has a series which is pretty good, New Frontier, featuring many of the popular recurring characters from TNG and DS9.
New Frontier is probably the best Trek book series. The DS9 Relaunch is maybe the only thing close.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »
New Frontier is probably the best Trek book series. The DS9 Relaunch is maybe the only thing close.

:dap

Yes, any Trek fan who needs moar need look no further than Peter David's books; New Frontier is good, but for main cast, his other books are also quite good.

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
fuck the cardassians are ugly. they look like humans covered in foreskins

Get used to their ugly mugs. They're the primary antagonists for most of Deep Space Nine.

Once you're ready to jump on that ship, prepare for a rougher start than what you experienced in TNG. The early seasons of Deep Space Nine are, by far, more tough to sit through than the first 2 seasons of TNG. I don't know if it's coincidence, but DS9 improved significantly for me once Sisko got the beard; hence why I refer to the better seasons as "post-fro Sisko".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:04:00 PM by Nintendosbooger »

cool breeze

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
I was wondering about that.  At some point more than one star trek show were on the air, right? or is it really TNG > DS9 > Voyager

and The Inner Light is a confusing episode
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:45:37 PM by fryinghigh »

treythemovie

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
Yeah, whats the deal with that? Should I finish TNG or concurrently start DS9 at some point?
You should finish TNG. For what overlap there is, DS9 effectively takes place after TNG ends.

Himu

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
Deanna troi is the worst character ever.

I can sense annoyance in this post. Yar > Troi.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
Deanna troi is the worst character ever.

I can sense annoyance in this post. Yar > Troi.
No.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
Troi is written badly, but that-era Marina Sirtis is hot.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
Wesley Crusher is by far the WOAT

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
Yeah, I remember back when UseNet was all the rage, and there was a group, alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die -- Wil Wheaton turned out to be an OK guy, but it sure is annoying having Wesley the Wonder Boy save the entire crew of professionals from utter disaster every week.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »
Wil Wheaton got a lot more hate than he deserved, yeah. His performance as Wesley was never the problem, the problem was that his character was terrible and the writers wanted him to be something that everyone hated.
dog

Himu

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »
Wes is just written badly because Roddenberry is a poof. Troi is just THERE and contributes NOTHING, has shit characterization, and has the worst episodes.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
he had sex with yar man
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
it's episode 2, the one where everyone gets space drunk.  it's the one where geordi cries about being blind.  and where picard and crusher almost go at it.

and I watched generations but it was boring so I messed around on my tablet during.  I thought I was going crazy because I'd look down, then up, and characters would be wearing different uniforms.  only thing I enjoyed in the movie was malcolm mcdowell's auto-gangsta style gun.  dude's so baller not even arthritis can stop him.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
i....i think Data just had sex
He is programmed in multiple pleasure-giving techniques.  ;)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »
so why exactly do we hate Wesley again? apart from him being too smart

He's a little kid that constantly has to save a ship full of highly-experienced experts because only he knows what's wrong and how to fix it.

He was the equivalent of a 12 year old writing Star Trek fanfaction and inserting himself/herself as the main character:

“Gee, golly, gosh, gloriosky,” thought Mary Sue as she stepped on the bridge of the Enterprise. “Here I am, the youngest lieutenant in the fleet – only fifteen and a half years old.” Captain Kirk came up to her.
“Oh, Lieutenant, I love you madly. Will you come to bed with me?”
“Captain! I am not that kind of girl!”
“You’re right, and I respect you for it. Here, take over the ship for a minute while I go get some coffee for us.”
Mr. Spock came onto the bridge. “What are you doing in the command seat, Lieutenant?”
“The Captain told me to.”
“Flawlessly logical. I admire your mind.”
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:53:41 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »
There was only one good Wesley episode:

dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
This is one of my favorites:

dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:10 AM »
captain jellico seems like a huuuuuuge douche

Dooooooooooooouchie douche.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47:44 AM »
gaius baltar was definitely inspired by Dr. bashir
Both of them :bow

cool breeze

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »
young picard in tapestry is awesome

they should make a show about young picard punching aliens and sleeping around

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
young picard in tapestry is awesome

they should make a show about young picard punching aliens and sleeping around

Yeah, that's one of my favorite episodes.
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 02:49:26 AM »
I 'finished' TNG.  In truth only saw half the episodes, but really enjoyed it and I'll go through those later on.  Final episode was an amazing way to end things (err, ignoring the movies).

Starting up Deep Space 9, so far it feels like Star Trek: Mall Cops.  Naturally there's going to be a shift from Enterprise exploring the universe with Picard (:bow2) to a space base with some new guy running things.  I like that o'brien is on the show.  He's one of the likable B characters from TNG.  And Bashir totally is a sincere Baltar.  Kira is nothing yet.  The arab trader alien is OK.  Sisko isn't anything yet.  Odo is cool; seems like a better security person than Worf or Tasha.  Dax is conceptually interesting, because it's a 20-something looking life form with several lives worth of accumulated knowledge, but it's hardly a character yet.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »
I 'finished' TNG.  In truth only saw half the episodes, but really enjoyed it and I'll go through those later on.  Final episode was an amazing way to end things (err, ignoring the movies).

Well with the final episode the crew basically said they could make different choices to make sure that future turned out different. For example, in the All Good Things... future, they never let Troi drive the ship. The one time they let her do that, she crashed the thing and as such the three-nacelle Enterprise-D never existed.

Starting up Deep Space 9, so far it feels like Star Trek: Mall Cops.  Naturally there's going to be a shift from Enterprise exploring the universe with Picard (:bow2) to a space base with some new guy running things.  I like that o'brien is on the show.  He's one of the likable B characters from TNG.  And Bashir totally is a sincere Baltar.  Kira is nothing yet.  The arab trader alien is OK.  Sisko isn't anything yet.  Odo is cool; seems like a better security person than Worf or Tasha.  Dax is conceptually interesting, because it's a 20-something looking life form with several lives worth of accumulated knowledge, but it's hardly a character yet.

DS9 doesn't get face-melting awesome until around the last half of the third season into season four. At that time, Voyager was launching and all the distinguished mentally-challenged fellows who shit up Trek were focused on kissing UPN ass with that show so the DS9 people were allowed to make the show awesome.

Rick Berman wanted to do the whole Dominion War in four episodes. Since he was distracted with recycling bad TNG script ideas on Voyager, the people running DS9 made the Dominion War last FOUR YEARS. It took a nine-episode mini-series within the series just to tie up all the storylines at the end of the show.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
Odo gets awesome at the end of season 3.
CBG

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
yea im pretty lukewarm on Ds9 right now for like the exact same reason you are. Odos character especially has no endearing quality to it. he just seems like a perpetual penis. my favorite chars as of right now are qwark and bashir pretty ehhhhhh on everyone else.OBrien was indeed a good pick for this. they should have also added in the guy living in holofantasies.from engineering.

Keep watching. I maintain that DS9 had the worst beginnings of any Star Trek series but the best finish. It sat idle while all the other karts flew past it, only to luck out with a series of blue shells and stars to cross the finish line 1st place.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »

When the walls fell
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2013, 01:14:22 AM »
:lol
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
yea im pretty lukewarm on Ds9 right now for like the exact same reason you are. Odos character especially has no endearing quality to it. he just seems like a perpetual penis. my favorite chars as of right now are qwark and bashir pretty ehhhhhh on everyone else.OBrien was indeed a good pick for this. they should have also added in the guy living in holofantasies.from engineering.

I tried DS9 for a few episodes last year; I think it was just about where they go through the wormhole, encounter The Founders? I ended up prioritizing other shows and games, didn't stay with it for exactly the reasons you've listed. And I recall O'Brien becomes a bit of lameness once Keiko shows up and starts emasculating him at every turn.

Himu

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
Just don't get the hate of tng Season 2. niccas are.crazy
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »
Nog's got a pair of Ferengi trading skill storylines in the later seasons that I really love.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 01:26:50 AM »
i hate Nog so fucking much. little shifty cunt
hahahaha

cool breeze

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »
I imagine I'm the only one who feels this way, but Bashir and Garak are my favorite parts of DS9.

jiji

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
I imagine I'm the only one who feels this way, but Bashir and Garak are my favorite parts of DS9.

Nah, they pretty much are the best. O'Brien-Bashir-Garak is DS9's great love triangle.
OTL

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
you are not alone

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
I didn't care much for Dax either, or Sisqo's son now that I think about it. But Sisqo himself becomes super badass during the dominion war.
WDW

Himu

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
STAR TREK MOVIES ARE ON NETFLIX. WRATH OF KHAN AND SEARCH FOR SPOCK GO GO GO
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »
Just don't get the hate of tng Season 2. distinguished black fellows are.crazy
There's not hate, it's just not very good. It's better than s1, for sure, but that's not saying much.

lmao at sisqo's off duty clothes. wearing some mad max beyond the afrikaa bambataa thunderdome shyt

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
lwaxana troy again ajsbdnrjendhdn

Honestly, she's a great character. She elicits such a reaction from fans; ST:TNG needed its own non-defeatable heel character, and there she is...

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:16 AM »
lmao at sisqo's off duty clothes. wearing some mad max beyond the afrikaa bambataa thunderdome shyt

ManaByte

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
lwaxana troy again ajsbdnrjendhdn

Honestly, she's a great character. She elicits such a reaction from fans; ST:TNG needed its own non-defeatable heel character, and there she is...

Read Q In Law by Peter David. Q marries Lwaxana, gives her the power of Q, but then dumps her. The Q prevent him from taking the power away from him so she proceeds to kick his ass all over the ship. It has one of the greatest Worf one-liners ever:

"She's really beating the stuffing out of him," observed Riker. "What do you think we should do?" "Sell tickets," rumbled Worf.
CBG