Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2369712 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: SEQUESTERGEDDON 2013: 3Great3Depression Thread of American Politics
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
States with lax gun laws experience a higher level of gun-related violence than those with stronger firearms laws on the books, according to findings from a report released Wednesday.

Herpaderp let's get more guns

That's actually a little bit surprising since you would expect the states with strict laws to be the ones with more urban population. I guess Florida would skew things a little since it has pretty lax gun laws.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #601 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
I sure am glad the majority of NC voters made the rational choice to elect an all republican state govt, because now we're finally tackling the important fiscal issues like making sure people don't get to vote and shit like this

http://www.wral.com/proposal-would-allow-state-religion-in-north-carolina/12296876/

I for one can't wait for all of the money that's going to get wasted defending all of the dumb shit these yokels are passing in the courts before it's all tossed out as unconstitutional.  FISCAL CONSERVATISM IN ACTION, BITCHES!

"The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people," the bill states.

:beli
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: April 03, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
States with lax gun laws experience a higher level of gun-related violence than those with stronger firearms laws on the books, according to findings from a report released Wednesday.

Herpaderp let's get more guns

That's actually a little bit surprising since you would expect the states with strict laws to be the ones with more urban population. I guess Florida would skew things a little since it has pretty lax gun laws.

Here's the relevant chart from the report:

dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #603 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
:missouricry

once again, the hillbillies ruin it for the rest of us
pcp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #604 on: April 03, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
I'm surprised Nebraska is so low, they love them some guns
🍆🍆

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #605 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
It's pretty obvious that BOs gov policies stem from the latest smash console. Drones are still a big thing, and the US bees are taking a serious population hit. COD MW and HALOs viral marketing, along with the Israelis. Something about bees that makes the jews all with the repogramming.

The PS4 looks great, and there are more chillax Indy games, that he can share with his frosty government dudes and dudettes. By using the powers of the PStrip.
:{]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #606 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
We seriously need to like our own posts guys.
:{]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #607 on: April 04, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »

*insert joke here*
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Your boss is just trying to bring the best out of you by hitting you and calling you a feg, you're an adult, you can just leave if you don't like it.  :skip
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #609 on: April 04, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

*insert joke here*
Sean Hannity, fan of highly paid public employees abusing black people.
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #610 on: April 04, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
Reminds me of Jonah Goldberg on the Daily Show back in the very early days of the Iraq war, saying he preferred a wrathful, Old Testament God.  These dudes love to bitch about pussified, emasculated modern culture, but how much time have they spent in physical confrontation over the last decade compared to, say, time spent in a chair having makeup applied?

Goes without saying that Hannity's defending this cause he can only imagine himself as the coach rather than a player.

Steve Contra

« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
Also, apply the same thing to a Rutgers classroom and see what the media says.
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #612 on: April 04, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Students need to be protected from liberal brainwashing, not physical assault.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #613 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Also, apply the same thing to a Rutgers classroom and see what the media says.

Nah, that's too easy. Instead, assume that the Rutger's basketball team just won the national championship. Now what's the media reaction like?
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #614 on: April 04, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
How is not wanting a coach to abuse players a symptom of political correctness? As I said in the NBA thread, there's a way to chew the shit out of players without going over the line

That's fine. I've been chewed out by a coach before, but you don't need to have that experience to generally know what's acceptable and what isn't. Kicking players and throwing balls isn't acceptable.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
PD, kicking players is the sort of proven leadership style that's allowed Rutgers to finish 12th, 11th, and 13th in their conference under Mike Rice, and it would be a shame if we let the PC libtards shut down legitimate, effective discipline.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #616 on: April 04, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
Indeed. Also as others have said, if Rutgers was winning would anyone be complaining? Bobby Knight kicked his players' asses too.

Reminds me of when Michigan's football program was hit with NCAA violations for practicing over the allowed amount. That shit happens in many programs, but the alumni/players wanted Rich Rodriquez fired so they threw him under the bus. I wonder who was taping practices at Rutgers, and for how long.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #617 on: April 04, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
I hope we find out that Coach K forcibly sodomizes Duke players with broom handles or something
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #618 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
I hope we find out that Coach K forcibly sodomizes Duke players with broom handles or something

And that one of the victims was Kobe Bryant.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
This is from 2009:

dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #620 on: April 08, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
fucking lol
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Cuba Gooding Jr., why?  :damn
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #622 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »
Okay, someone help me out on this and tell me what I'm not getting with the argument about lowering corporate tax rates while closing the loopholes.

WSJ dipshit, Stephen Moore made this argument on Real Time the other day so that the corporations who are currently paying zero or close to zero taxes won't be able to get away with paying such low rates (essentially create a corporate flat tax). I understand what he's TRYING to get at, but like with many things, the more one digs in, the less sense it makes.

Let's use GE as an example (as it's the one that Maher used), who paid nothing in taxes last year. Even though our marginal rate is 35%, GE is doing just fine due to all the loopholes and whatnot. It would be reasonable to think that GE wouldn't take too kindly to this flat tax proposal to lower the marginal tax rates to 17% (Moore's suggestion) and close the loopholes so that GE would be presumably paying the 17% rate.

But doesn't that contradict one of the other right wing arguments, that corporations will never bring their money back to the U.S. to be taxed? I mean, Moore doesn't make it sound like he wants to give the corporations the option of paying what tax rates they prefer. The only reason they're going overseas to all these tax shelters and whatnot, is because we're simply allowing them to do so!

That post might be kind of inarticulate, but I hope y'all get what I'm trying to get at.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:43:42 AM by Oblivion »

Steve Contra

« Reply #623 on: April 09, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Quick answer?  Lowering taxes are easier than closing loopholes, so why they say they're doing two things, only one will be probably happen.
vin

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #624 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Quick answer?  Lowering taxes are easier than closing loopholes, so why they say they're doing two things, only one will be probably happen.
This.  It's easier to continue the dog and pony show this way with the added bonus of pandering to a base that loves the phrase "lower taxes".  Win/Win.

Oblivion

« Reply #625 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »

This.  It's easier to continue the dog and pony show this way with the added bonus of pandering to a base that loves the phrase "lower taxes".  Win/Win.

Right, so in the end, the goal is not to actually wind up having the rich pay more?

Yeah, yeah I know these are Republicans we're talking about, but I was hoping to give them the benefit of the doubt, and see if the voodoo arguments actually work in real life.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #626 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
Contra's got it.

Lower rates and fewer loopholes is something that most economists would recommend, and makes some ethical sense, too: a simpler tax code means less opportunities for favoritism and the corruption that comes with it.

Problem is, it's quite hard to get rid of tax breaks and harder still to keep them from creeping back in.  Industry lobbies are very well-organized, can claim to represent huge numbers of workers, and can almost always marshal plausible arguments as to why some particular subsidy makes for good policy.  Even if you're a liberal there are probably a ton of targeted tax breaks you'd be willing or eager to support (for education, climate, nutrition, etc).

So there's a very good chance that you slash the overall rate and make up for it by closing loopholes, only new exceptions start being added yearly.  Now you've got a lower rate and a bunch of exploits.  It's generally harder to raise the rate or close loopholes unless there are sweeteners that make it revenue neutral (like the changes you made before), so the practical effect is to ratchet down tax receipts.  You could call this a slippery-slope argument, but it's not crazy.

Basically, if elected officials are willing to vote away the special subsidies and protections for their biggest home-state lobbies, then it could work.  But that almost never happens and there aren't any signs that this Congress would be particularly better.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #627 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »
It's hard to eliminate tax loopholes; they'll find their way back into various bills no matter what. Whereas if you lower or raise a rate it stays that way for a long time (see: Bush taxes). I'd support lowering the corporate tax rate if only to get rid of the "we have the highest corporate tax rate in the entire world" meme. That's pretty much the only good it would do. GE is still going to avoid taxes no matter what the rate is, unless you end loopholes, but of course the loopholes are so broad that it'll be argued that eliminating them will hurt businesses.

I'm curious to see whether Obama will negotiate with himself on this issue, and agree to a repatriation holiday in exchange for...well, nothing.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
I wonder if he's ever bumped into Mark Sanford out hiking on the appalachian trail? Maybe they could share pointers.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

"[Ashley Judd]'s clearly, this sounds extreme, but she is emotionally unbalanced. I mean it's been documented," the aide said. "Jesse can go in chapter and verse from her autobiography about, you know, she's suffered some suicidal tendencies. She was hospitalized for 42 days when she had a mental breakdown in the '90s."

And what's the response from McConnel?

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) accused the “political left” of bugging his campaign headquarters after a secret tape emerged of a strategy session regarding Ashley Judd’s potential candidacy and her mental health.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
I reeeeeaaaalllly want to see Mitch gone. Worthless turd.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
I reeeeeaaaalllly want to see Mitch gone. Worthless turdle.

___

huckleberry

« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
Unfortunately we are all stuck with McTurdell until he retires. Judd never stood a chance in hell of beating him - hell, I'm not even sure that the state democratic party here wants to see him lose.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:25:41 AM by Arde0 »
wub

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »
I'm glad Judd was bullied out. She's the type of bad candidate that would negatively impact other races too, like Christine O'Donnell. Really don't understand how such a liberal bleeding heart decided she wanted to be a senator in Kentucky.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Really don't understand how such a liberal bleeding heart decided she wanted to be a senator in Kentucky.

She didn't, which is why she never actually said she was going to run.
dog

Steve Contra

« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Nationally isn't McConnell the lowest rated of any major politician of any party?  Only in Kentucky can that be considered a "sure thing".
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »
Nationally isn't McConnell the lowest rated of any major politician of any party?  Only in Kentucky can that be considered a "sure thing".

Yeah, he is. He's even got really terrible poll numbers in his home state.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

yea but he has a 20m war chest and democrats have pretty much become an endangered species in the south since Obama's election. I wonder why.

Steve Contra

« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »

yea but he has a 20m war chest and democrats have pretty much become an endangered species in the south since Obama's election. I wonder why.
That was my point :shaq2
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »

That was my point :shaq2
we form like Voltron :obama

Steve Contra

« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Did the interracial emoticon get removed? :'(
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »

:interracial

Nope, it's just a secret for Bore Gold members only.

©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #643 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »

:interracial

Nope, it's just a secret for Bore Gold members only.
:hump
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #644 on: April 10, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
speaking of interracial lovin'

As Rand Paul told it, the biggest problem keeping African Americans from voting Republican is that they didn’t know Republicans have long been leaders on abolition and civil rights. As students at Howard University heard it, the problem was that Paul was condescending, misleading, and removed from the issues facing their community.

Paul devoted almost none of his speech Wednesday at the historically black college in Washington, D.C., to explaining the GOP’s thorny relationship with black voters over the last fifty years, and most of it arguing that “the Republican Party has always been the party of civil rights and voting rights.” His history lecture focused almost entirely on the period before 1964, when the GOP began to champion the states rights arguments of southern whites. Echoing a popular conservative talking point, Paul repeatedly reminded the audience that Democrats passed Jim Crow laws in the south and that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, as were the first black legislators and the founders of the NAACP.

“Would everyone know here they were all Republicans?” he said at one point, referring to the NAACP’s founders.

“Yes!” came the booming response from nearly the entire audience, who appeared offended Paul would even raise the question.
(rest at link)
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/04/rand-pauls-gets-credit-for-trying-not-much-else-in-awkward-howard-speech.php?ref=fpa

To many republicans and most libertarians, black political history goes a little like this:

1770something: Democrats create slavery, Founding Fathers object
1860something: Lincoln frees the slaves
1870s-1900s: Democrats institute Jim Crow laws
1990s: George Bush nominates Clarence Thomas for the Supreme Court; democrats create reverse racism in response
2010: Obama revives slavery (Obamacare)

I don't think anyone denies that black people used to be republicans. The thing that annoys me is that republicans use that as a selling point to argue blacks should be republicans today too, while completely ignoring the last 60 years outside of a couple snippets ("democrats voted against the Civil Rights Act!").

Black people were largely republicans until 1932. Herbert Hoover won the presidency in 1928 with large black support due to various pledges he made to southern blacks after the Great Missisippi Flood of 1927; basically many black areas were devastated and he was in charge of that period's equivalent of FEMA, As the refugee situation became worse and racial tensions arose, he slowly backed out of a series of promises he had made as a candidate. A great depression and four years later he lost to FDR, who had strong black support despite largely ignoring civil rights; my grandparents loved him, and really loved his wife.

But democrats didn't solidify blacks into their coalition until 1964 with the CRA; of course even before that the Kennedys made inroads with blacks through MLK. And of course Nixon's Southern Strategy and the migration of dixiecrats to the republican party further strengthened that coalition, which lasts to this day and probably won't change anytime soon.

You'll never hear a republican today acknowledge any of this, or even admit the Southern Strategy was/is a real thing. Minoritity voting habits in the United States tend to be based on who did and didn't act like a dick towards them at one point in the past. Irish people vote democrat because east coast republicans acted like dicks towards them in the 1800s, Cubans vote (or did before 2012 lolol) republican because JFK acted like a dick towards them during the Cuban Missile Crisis*, Arabs vote democrat because republicans treat them like dicks, etc.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
*acted like a dick in terms of bungling the Bay of Pigs, from their perspective.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: April 10, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
During a meeting of the Saline County, Kan. Commission last Tuesday, a discussion over whether to hire an architect to design repairs to local bridges turned heated. Commissioner Jim Gile argued that the county should hire an architect rather than "distinguished black fellow-rigging it."

When Gile was asked what he said, he replied, "Afro-Americanized."

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile said. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/kansas-official-drops-n-word-insists-he-isnt?ref=fpb

:jada
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #646 on: April 10, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
"I am not a prejudiced person, I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

sounds like a newsfeed quote from FoC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #647 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
"I am not a prejudiced person, I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

sounds like a newsfeed quote from FoC

:dead
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #648 on: April 10, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »
*many words*

it doesnt help when your worldview is based around thinking most people are brainwashed and that you must bring the "truth" to them - in the form of conspiracy theories, skewered history, and naive ideological proposals.
pcp

Oblivion

« Reply #649 on: April 10, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »

As Rand Paul told it, the biggest problem keeping African Americans from voting Republican is that they didn’t know Republicans have long been leaders on abolition and civil rights. As students at Howard University heard it, the problem was that Paul was condescending, misleading, and removed from the issues facing their community.

Paul devoted almost none of his speech Wednesday at the historically black college in Washington, D.C., to explaining the GOP’s thorny relationship with black voters over the last fifty years, and most of it arguing that “the Republican Party has always been the party of civil rights and voting rights.” His history lecture focused almost entirely on the period before 1964, when the GOP began to champion the states rights arguments of southern whites. Echoing a popular conservative talking point, Paul repeatedly reminded the audience that Democrats passed Jim Crow laws in the south and that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, as were the first black legislators and the founders of the NAACP.

“Would everyone know here they were all Republicans?” he said at one point, referring to the NAACP’s founders.

“Yes!” came the booming response from nearly the entire audience, who appeared offended Paul would even raise the question.
(rest at link)
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/04/rand-pauls-gets-credit-for-trying-not-much-else-in-awkward-howard-speech.php?ref=fpa

To many republicans and most libertarians, black political history goes a little like this:

1770something: Democrats create slavery, Founding Fathers object
1860something: Lincoln frees the slaves
1870s-1900s: Democrats institute Jim Crow laws
1990s: George Bush nominates Clarence Thomas for the Supreme Court; democrats create reverse racism in response
2010: Obama revives slavery (Obamacare)

I don't think anyone denies that black people used to be republicans. The thing that annoys me is that republicans use that as a selling point to argue blacks should be republicans today too, while completely ignoring the last 60 years outside of a couple snippets ("democrats voted against the Civil Rights Act!").

Black people were largely republicans until 1932. Herbert Hoover won the presidency in 1928 with large black support due to various pledges he made to southern blacks after the Great Missisippi Flood of 1927; basically many black areas were devastated and he was in charge of that period's equivalent of FEMA, As the refugee situation became worse and racial tensions arose, he slowly backed out of a series of promises he had made as a candidate. A great depression and four years later he lost to FDR, who had strong black support despite largely ignoring civil rights; my grandparents loved him, and really loved his wife.

But democrats didn't solidify blacks into their coalition until 1964 with the CRA; of course even before that the Kennedys made inroads with blacks through MLK. And of course Nixon's Southern Strategy and the migration of dixiecrats to the republican party further strengthened that coalition, which lasts to this day and probably won't change anytime soon.

You'll never hear a republican today acknowledge any of this, or even admit the Southern Strategy was/is a real thing. Minoritity voting habits in the United States tend to be based on who did and didn't act like a dick towards them at one point in the past. Irish people vote democrat because east coast republicans acted like dicks towards them in the 1800s, Cubans vote (or did before 2012 lolol) republican because JFK acted like a dick towards them during the Cuban Missile Crisis*, Arabs vote democrat because republicans treat them like dicks, etc.
*acted like a dick in terms of bungling the Bay of Pigs, from their perspective.
[close]

I find it funny how the whole "Republicans freed the slaves, and fought against the evil Democrats" line is always brought up in the context of attacking Black people/defending White people.

To say that Republicans today are still the party of Black people is like saying Britney Spears is still a singing sensation because Oops I did it Again was popular in 2000.

Someone can come up with a far more clever metaphor.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: April 10, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
Like saying that I'd bang Helen Mirren right now because she was hot in Excalibur.

...wait, that one may not be as good.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #651 on: April 11, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
She's more qualified than, say, Rand Paul.  Whose main qualifications are that he's named after Ayn Rand and is related to Ron Paul, from all I can figure.
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #652 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
BENGHAZI 2:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/11/state-department-denies-coverup-diplomat-killed

State Department denies cover-up over diplomat killed in Afghanistan

Anne Smedinghoff was killed walking to a media event, not in an armoured vehicle, but US denies misleading reporters

A US diplomat killed by a suicide bomber in southern Afghanistan was walking to a media event at a nearby high school when the attacker struck, and not travelling in a vehicle convoy as the State Department originally said.

Anne Smedinghoff died on Saturday, along with three soldiers and one other US civilian in Qalat, the small capital of Zabul province. It was the first time a State Department diplomat has been killed in Afghanistan since the 1970s.

At the time of the attack, Smedinghoff was returning from an abortive effort to escort Afghan journalists to a high school barely 50 metres from the gate of the US base in town, a survivor said. The provincial governor was attending a book handover at the school, and the group were planning to report on the ceremony.

The governor's convoy of armoured SUVs passed by as the journalists, soldiers and diplomats were nearly back inside the base and it was then that the suicide bomber detonated his explosives, Afghan journalist Ahmed Zia Abed told McClatchy newspapers.

The Taliban, who claimed the attack, said the bomber had been waiting for either the governor's vehicles or a US military convoy to pass by.

Abed, who was wounded by the blast, told the paper that the diplomats and journalists had got lost. However, the extremely close proximity of the school to the military base makes that seem unlikely, particularly as the group were escorted by US soldiers stationed in Zabul, who would have known the area and mapped out even the shortest movement in advance.

The US embassy in Kabul referred all questions about the attack to the State Department in Washington DC, which confirmed that the group were travelling on foot.

Statements made immediately after the bombing suggested that a car full of explosives had rammed into some kind of armoured vehicle carrying Smedinghoff, pictured, and others. Secretary of state John Kerry, who paid moving and personal tribute to the young diplomat, described the attacker as someone who "drives into their [the diplomats'] vehicle".

The State Department, still smarting from accusations that it had tried to distort information about an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi in 2012, denied that it had intentionally misled reporters about what happened in Qalat.

The US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans died in the Benghazi violence. For months after there was a heavy stream of mostly partisan attacks against the White House and the US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, who were accused of attempting to cover up al-Qaida involvement in what was described as a terrorist attack.

Patrick Ventrell, the acting deputy press spokesman, said that early reports on Afghan TV and websites about the Zabul attack may have misled diplomats in other Afghan cities who were trying to pin down details of what happened form a distance.

"I think part of the initial confusion came about because there were reports in the media about the local governor and his convoy," he said. "Some of our initial reporting also indicated that, and that's why we weren't able to clarify right away. So our initial read on it was different, and we're now able to say that it was a convoy and they were walking."

The group were all "wearing personal protection gear and under escort of US soldiers", he added. Three of those soldiers died in the attack, along with a US Department of Defense civilian employee who has not been named, and an Afghan nurse who was also in the area.
Afghanistan Qalat school Afghanistan Qalat school. Photograph: Guardian

Four other State Department employees were wounded, including another media official Kelly Hunt, who was seriously injured and has been evacuated to Germany where she is in a medically-induced coma, according to a news website from her home state.

The State Department is reviewing security procedures, Ventrell said. Most diplomats and soldiers use armoured SUVs or even more heavily protected military MRAPs – mine resistant ambush protected vehicles – for most journeys around Afghanistan.

But it is not uncommon for groups of Nato soldiers and civilians to walk short distances near bases where security is considered relatively good, particularly when there are checkpoints on access roads and US spy blimps that can survey the area around the clock.

Zabul province neighbours Kandahar, the Taliban's birthplace. Sparsely populated, it has seen regular insurgent attacks but is usually considered less dangerous than other southern provinces.

Tonya

Dickie Dee

« Reply #653 on: April 11, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
We really need a mean old man McCain emoticon
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #654 on: April 11, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Source material for anyone interested in accepting the challenge

yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #655 on: April 11, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
http://democrats.oversight.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5895:warren-and-cummings-to-occ-and-federal-reserve-illegal-foreclosures-are-not-corporate-trade-secrets&catid=3:press-releases&Itemid=49

At a meeting yesterday, Warren, Cummings, and Rep. Maxine Waters, Ranking Member of the House Financial Services Committee, were informed by staff from the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) that they would not produce any documents relating to specific mortgage servicers involving illegal foreclosures, inflated fees, or fraudulent court documents.  Staff from the agencies claimed these documents are the “trade secrets” of mortgage servicing companies and should be withheld from Members of Congress because producing them could be interpreted as a waiver of their authority to withhold proprietary business information from the public.

:mindblown

Where's mah pitchfork?
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
Can a rapist withhold giving a sperm sample because that constitutes a trade secret?
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #657 on: April 11, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

And I went ahead and made this one, too:

dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #658 on: April 11, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

It's funny how that pic explains both Obama and McCain five years later.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #659 on: April 11, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »

And I went ahead and made this one, too:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:33:45 PM by Mamacint »
___