Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2311149 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: SEQUESTERGEDDON 2013: 3Great3Depression Thread of American Politics
« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/gingrich-santorum-couldnt-agree-on-who-would-be?ref=fpb

Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum were close to forming a "unity ticket" to challenge Mitt Romney during the Republican presidential primaries, Bloomberg Businessweek's Joshua Green reported Friday. But ultimately the two men couldn't agree on who would be president if they won.

“In the end, it was just too hard to negotiate," Gingrich said in the report.

“I was disappointed when Speaker Gingrich ultimately decided against this idea, because it could have changed the outcome of the primary,” Santorum told Businessweek. “And more importantly, it could have changed the outcome of the general election.”

:lol The hubris of these people.

They're right, though.  Obama would have won by a lot more, so it would have changed the outcome of the election.
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
Too bad Michelle Bachman and Herman Cain couldn't have joined together for an interracial ticket.
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #482 on: March 22, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/official-seeks-mystery-man-linked-smear-senator-bob/story?id=18790819#.UUzRxPLD-Uk

A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic is seeking to identify the mystery man called "Carlos" who, allegedly in league with Republican operatives in the U.S., helped set up television interviews with three young women who now say they were paid to lie about having sex with Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

So republicans are paying women to lie about sex scandals with democrats now. Is there no low that they won't sink to?
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: March 22, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
It would be the greatest day ever if that could somehow be linked back to the Koch brothers.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: March 22, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/official-seeks-mystery-man-linked-smear-senator-bob/story?id=18790819#.UUzRxPLD-Uk

A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic is seeking to identify the mystery man called "Carlos" who, allegedly in league with Republican operatives in the U.S., helped set up television interviews with three young women who now say they were paid to lie about having sex with Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

So republicans are paying women to lie about sex scandals with democrats now. Is there no low that they won't sink to?

And people said that Republicans aren't willing to work with Hispanics. :bow2
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #485 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
So there's this meme that the righties have been saying for a while now that Bill O'Reilly repeated yesterday. When it's pointed out that we had much higher tax rates in the past than we do now, the argument goes that those rates don't count because no one was paying those high rates to begin with because of various loopholes and deductions. My question is, if no one was paying the top rates due to all the deductions and such, then...what was the point of constantly lowering the rates throughout the decades?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
When it's pointed out that we had much higher tax rates in the past than we do now, the argument goes that those rates don't count because no one was paying those high rates to begin with because of various loopholes and deductions.

You should ask them how that's any different from right now.
dog

Trurl

« Reply #487 on: March 23, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »
So there's this meme that the righties have been saying for a while now that Bill O'Reilly repeated yesterday. When it's pointed out that we had much higher tax rates in the past than we do now, the argument goes that those rates don't count because no one was paying those high rates to begin with because of various loopholes and deductions. My question is, if no one was paying the top rates due to all the deductions and such, then...what was the point of constantly lowering the rates throughout the decades?

It would be nice if Conservatives accepted empirical proof to refute their claims. Instead they only accept syllogisms based on what they already think they know, and that's if you're lucky.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #488 on: March 23, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
When it's pointed out that we had much higher tax rates in the past than we do now, the argument goes that those rates don't count because no one was paying those high rates to begin with because of various loopholes and deductions.

You should ask them how that's any different from right now.

IE in 1958 instead of paying 90% marginal tax rates, a clever accountant could get you down to what, 80%? Whereas today instead of paying 39.6 marginal tax rates, a clever account could get you to 35%. These people are full of shit, especially when you consider they champion the 50s and 60s as a time of FREEDOMZ while complaining Comrade Obama is taxing at record rates  :lol

Unless of course you don't pay any income taxes and thus have a 15% rate like you know, Mitt Romney.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:38:11 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #490 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
bent

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: March 24, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
Good beat, but he needs to work on his flow.
dog

Phoenix Dark

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
Well, a cynical person would say "she doesn't have to run for reelection in the next 5 years, and it will be decided by then most likely" but good on her I suppose.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #495 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:45 PM »
It's a mad scramble to be on the right side of history before the lines are officially drawn
WDW

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #496 on: March 26, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #497 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »
I can't wait to hear Scalia's smug face explain which part of the Constitution demands that he uphold DOMA.
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #498 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/22/fox-news-analyst-very-high-probability-iraq-hid-wmds-in-syria/#.UUyP6usfuqY.gmail

Get your invadin' boots on, we're going in!
Yup, this has been making the rounds for months now in the Anti-Agenda 21 Underground.  Good thing Fox News has been reading their email chains.
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #499 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/22/fox-news-analyst-very-high-probability-iraq-hid-wmds-in-syria/#.UUyP6usfuqY.gmail

Yup, this has been making the rounds for months now in the Anti-Agenda 21 Underground.  Good thing Fox News has been reading their email chains.

I know this shit doesn't need debunking here (cause Romney lost and siamesedreamer/Beardo/bdoughty weren't able to come back and gloat), but goddam this makes no sense.  Hussein hated Hafez Assad and the feeling was mutual.  Like they had a grudge dating back to some inside-baseball rivalries within the Baath party in the 1960's.  The sixties!  Also, the Assads are Alawis who have kept a Sunni majority in check, while Saddam was a Sunni who kept a Shia majority in check.  The countries had broken off diplomatic relations.  Hussein publicly called Assad a liar.

Syria sent over ten thousand troops to fight against Iraq as part of Desert Storm.  COME ON!

But hey, they're all fuckin' brown, amirite?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #500 on: March 26, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
Since apparently Mandark doesn't like to read, it's right in the fucking article...

...prior to Operation Iraqi Freedom, there was a lot of vehicles crossing the border into Syria.

What more do you need?  Jeez!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #501 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
Annihilated.   :'(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »
I'm beginning to question your commitment to the Operation Enduring Freedom II: Syrian Boogaloo, Mandark.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »

I know this shit doesn't need debunking here (cause Romney lost and siamesedreamer/Beardo/bdoughty weren't able to come back and gloat), but goddam this makes no sense.  Hussein hated Hafez Assad and the feeling was mutual.  Like they had a grudge dating back to some inside-baseball rivalries within the Baath party in the 1960's.  The sixties!  Also, the Assads are Alawis who have kept a Sunni majority in check, while Saddam was a Sunni who kept a Shia majority in check.  The countries had broken off diplomatic relations.  Hussein publicly called Assad a liar.

Syria sent over ten thousand troops to fight against Iraq as part of Desert Storm.  COME ON!

But hey, they're all fuckin' brown, amirite?

The Saw exposition theme ran through my head as I read this. But I'm confused what this has to do with Agenda 21, even if I put my tinfoil hat on

Steve Contra

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
The type of people that believe Agenda 21 conspiracy theories have been peddling this one for a while.  First time I've seen it reported outside of that.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
Ah my bad, misread that. I was thinking it must be some grand conspiracy with UN trucks transporting the WMDs from Iraq to Syria :ohhh

Steve Contra

« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
Oh I'm sure the UN is involved somewhere.
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
Guess who's in the UN? Russia!
©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »
Guess who's in the UN? Russia!
>_>
<_<
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #509 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
Chief Justice John Roberts took a swipe at President Obama during oral arguments Wednesday, arguing that the president should stop executing the parts of the Defense of Marriage Act he deems unconstitutional rather than relying on the courts to pave the way.

“If he has made a determination that executing the law by enforcing the terms is unconstitutional, I don’t see why he doesn’t have the courage of his convictions,” Roberts said of Obama, “and execute not only the statute, but do it consistent with his view of the Constitution, rather than saying, oh, we’ll wait till the Supreme Court tells us we have no choice.”

:wtf
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #510 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
nicca roberts is dumb.

Obama is going by the book on this.  He's the executive, so he's runs the shit that needs enforcing.  He can publicly denounce them but if he tries to actually DO anything, everyone would be up in arms (moreseo than the usual garblefuck that escapse conservative mouths).
püp

« Reply #511 on: March 27, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
SCOTUS are acting like a bunch of pussies on this issue. "Oh, we don't think we should do anything about this yet. It's too soon."
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: March 27, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
So can he declare Congress and the Supreme Court unconstitutional based on view of the Constitution? :leon
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #513 on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/27/sorry-justice-scalia-theres-no-evidence-that-gay-parents-arent-great-parents/

This article by Klein brings up something I can't believe I was dumb enough to not even think of.  There's absolutely no evidence that gay couples make bad parents (rather, shitty people make shitty parents).  If they choose to adopt, they can help seriously diminish our growing number of children without a permanent family.  Fucking win-win in regards to providing love to all that deserve some.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #514 on: March 27, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
I don't think it's far fetched to say that children from a family with two married parents do better than those from single parent households. Some family units are more stable than others, yet that shouldn't determine which should be banned in cases where the potential parents are decent folks (no criminal record or any other metric that might cause an adoption agency to reject an application).

Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if a man+woman union produces children than anything else (when compared across similar income levels). But if you're going to use that to reject gay marriage/adoption, you should apply the same stupidity to other things. Ban divorce while you're at it.

DOMA is toast.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
There is, however, growing evidence that Antonin Scalia is a sack of dog crap.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »
DOMA is pretty much done for, Prop 8 is trickier but I bet they refuse to overturn it outright
yar

« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
DOMA is pretty much done for, Prop 8 is trickier but I bet they refuse to overturn it outright

I think they'll throw the case out on Prop 8, which means that the California Supreme Court ruling stands on overturning it.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
I agree. DOMA is done, Prop 8 will go back to Cali; although to be fair Kennedy has some time to change his mind. IMO either way it's a win.

Steve Contra

« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
The minority (I hope) opinion should be HILARIOUS.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »

a preview

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #521 on: March 27, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
That sort of argument always goes way over my head, because all I can manage to think is "who gives a shit."
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: March 27, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
That sort of argument always goes way over my head, because all I can manage to think is "who gives a shit."

WASHINGTON—Ten minutes into oral arguments over whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to marry one another, a visibly confounded Supreme Court stopped legal proceedings Tuesday and ruled that gay marriage was “perfectly fine” and that the court could “care less who marries whom.”

“Yeah, of course gay men and women can get married. Who gives a shit?” said Chief Justice John Roberts, who interrupted attorney Charles Cooper’s opening statement defending Proposition 8, which rescinded same-sex couples’ right to marry in California. “Why are we even seriously discussing this?”

“Does anyone else up here care about this?” Roberts added as his eight colleagues began shaking their heads and saying, “No,” “Nah,” and “I also don’t care about this.” “Great. Same-sex marriage is legal in the United States of America. Do we have anything of actual import on the docket, or are we done for the day?”

Before Roberts officially ended proceedings, sources confirmed that all nine justices were reportedly dumbfounded, asking why the case was even coming before them and wondering aloud if some sort of mistake had been made. Calling marriage equality a “no-brainer,” members of the High Court appeared not just confused but irritated when Proposition 8 defenders argued that gay marriage was not a national issue but a state matter.

Moreover, when Attorney Cooper said that gay marriage could harm the moral fabric of the country and hurt the institution of marriage, Associate Justice Sotomayor asked, “What are you even talking about?” while Justice Anthony Kennedy reportedly muttered, “You got to be fucking kidding me,” under his breath.

“I have to interject, Mr. Cooper,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said as the attorney argued that the government has legitimate reasons to discourage same-sex couples from getting married. “Do you honestly care this much about this issue? Because if you do, you’re a real goddamn idiot. Actually, you sound as dumb as dog shit, and you are wasting our time.”

“Should gay marriage be legal?” Ginsburg continued. “Yes. Done. Case closed. Goodbye. Christ, were we seriously scheduled to spend the next few months debating this?”

Even the typically conservative wing of the court maintained that, despite their personal views, it would be “downright silly” for them to rule that same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

“I’m a strict Originalist, Mr. Cooper, and I’m looking at a 14th Amendment that forbids any state from denying any person equal protection of the law,” Associate Justice Antonin Scalia said. “So, unless we are the most uncivilized society on the face of God’s green earth, I think we can all agree that a gay person is in fact a person. So what I’m saying is, who the fuck are we to tell a person who he or she can get married to? This is dumb. Can we talk about a real case now, please?”

Before adjourning the court, Roberts said there would be no official opinion on the case because it’s just “common goddamn sense,” and then addressed gay men and women directly.

“Get married, don’t get married, do whatever you want,” Roberts said. “It’s the opinion of this court that we don’t give two shits what you do.”

“C’mon, let’s go get some food,” added Roberts, as the eight other justices followed him out the door.
©@©™

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #523 on: March 27, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »
the "will X still be X if Y happens?" is classic orthodox rhetoric that is used absolutely every time something is being modified, no matter how slight.  Look through the history of Christian reform to see an infinite number of examples. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #524 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
remember what happened to the Roman Empire

Trurl

« Reply #525 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
Would you guys rather have two moms or two dads?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #526 on: March 27, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
one mom and one pony.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #527 on: March 27, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »
no matter the pairing, there's always at least one "mom"

:himu
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: March 27, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
remember what happened to the Roman Empire

They converted to Christianity and it was all downhill from there. :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:52:10 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #529 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

a preview
(Image removed from quote.)

It seems the only logical course of action is to do away with straight marriages. Because obviously straight marriages lead to gay marriages which leads to cat marriages. I say all marriages of any kind be immediately annulled, and the word marriage stricken from the dictionary, with the word marriage only spoken in hushed tones in secret, underground wedding clubs inhabited by the filthiest of deviants.
WDW

Trurl

« Reply #530 on: March 27, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
If the only argument against me being able to marry my dog is that gay people aren't yet allowed to be married, perhaps I should be able to marry Fluffy.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #531 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »
I swear to God, next Libertarian I see on my FB feed bitch about how we need to label GMO's and how Monsanto is evil for the provision snuck into the ag appropriations bill this week is going to get fucking murdered in the digital realm
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
I swear to God, next Libertarian I see on my FB feed bitch about how we need to label GMO's and how Monsanto is evil for the provision snuck into the ag appropriations bill this week is going to get fucking murdered in the digital realm
I've been avoiding it, but I just had to write a lengthy response to an Obama meme picture regarding this.  And now I feel pathetic because I wrote a lengthy response to an Obama meme pic on Facebook.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #533 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »
I've been avoiding it, but I just had to write a lengthy response to an Obama meme picture regarding this.  And now I feel pathetic because I wrote a lengthy response to an Obama meme pic on Facebook.

Trolled into writing a long, earnest post correcting some BS that someone just mindlessly passed along without checking, when that person is probably uninterested in the facts anyway?  Welcome to my last decade on the internet!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'(
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
 :(  I should know better by now

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #535 on: March 28, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
"It's the main lesson of the Internet age, that something that's untrue is much harder to challenge than something that's true. The most obvious reason being that because it's untrue, people are, necessarily, believing it because they want to." - Justin Horton

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #536 on: March 28, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
Touche.  At least they took it well.  They thanked me for the information and invited my wife and I out for a double date.  yay?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #537 on: March 28, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
Touche.  At least they took it well.  They thanked me for the information and invited my wife and I out for a double date.  yay?

Are they libertarians?  If so they're probably swingers and want to swap with you guys, just saying.
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #538 on: March 28, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
 :lol

She's a libertarian, her man doesn't give a fuck about politics.  So maybe an awkard threesome with an onlooker?  I'm down. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not really
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Don't be bashful Mandark, we all know you enjoy nothing more than being our "let me google that bullshit for you, then write a long retort" whipping boy.