Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2309595 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: SEQUESTERGEDDON 2013: 3Great3Depression Thread of American Politics
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »
 :lol

wow

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »

well fuck
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »
Note to self: DO NOT WATCH MORNING JOE TOMORROW. I don't want to have to kill myself that early in the morning.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
I went from "fuck yeah I'm gonna watch this" to "are you fucking kidding me" to a probable media black out tomorrow, and plan on running Path of Exile race from 10-1 tonight so I'm not fucking tempted to watch it after all.
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
Mandark, are you ok? Post if you are ok.
AMC

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
I only found out that this throwdown was gonna happen when I found out it had gone bad, so I missed everyone hyping themselves up.  So I was spared the emotional rollercoaster.

edit: Though why did everyone expect that Krugman was going to destroy Scarborough?  Cause expertise and intellectual honesty is rewarded in the cable-yak format?  I love Krugman, but his style only works when people's arguments are committed to text and easily nailed down, where he can take as much or as little space to explain the history of an issue as he wants, and can futz around making graphs at the Bureau of Labor Statistics' site.

If you want to clobber someone in the Morning Joe format, you need to go Full Biden.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:46:03 PM by Mandark »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
Yeah, I hadn't heard about it, either. I'm definitely still interested in watching it.
AMC

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
Will Krugman punch Joe right in his stupid face?

Well, this is clearly what should have happened.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
But Krugman has clobbered Morning Joe before, on the show, without going full Bidentard. He does the same every time he's on ABC's sunday morning show too.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »
FUCKING SHIT

Died in the PoE race.  Welp, guess I'm watching this turd after all.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
god dammit I was watching Spartacus, didn't know a race was happening.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
too late lol

Aaaaaaaand it's not even showing here until 12 am WTF MAN
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Where's the debate supposed to air?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2013, 01:04:43 AM »

It was on Charlie Rose's PBS show.

I just watched it.

I have to be completely honest... maybe it's just because a) I'm not a fucktard b) I'm predisposed to believing what he's selling anyway c) Scarborough is a disingenuous turdburglar, but as someone who has a slightly above average grasp of macroeconomics, it was pretty apparent to me that Krugman showed up to talk at the adult table and Morning Dolt showed up to talk on the level of, say, the conversation Kosma and I had the other day in the Nintendo vs. Sega thread.
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

It was on Charlie Rose's PBS show.

I just watched it.

I have to be completely honest... maybe it's just because a) I'm not a fucktard b) I'm predisposed to believing what he's selling anyway c) Scarborough is a disingenuous turdburglar, but as someone who has a slightly above average grasp of macroeconomics, it was pretty apparent to me that Krugman showed up to talk at the adult table and Morning Dolt showed up to talk on the level of, say, the conversation Kosma and I had the other day in the Nintendo vs. Sega thread.

Well, I think Krugman said that in his NYT post that this was the problem.

Mandark laid it out well in his post.
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #315 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13:51 AM »
I've got to be honest, I don't know how Krugman didn't murder everyone on set when Charlie Rose quoted him TOM FRIEDMAN.  It's like a moebius strip of stupidity at that point.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
So, now that Chavez is dead, what's going to happen in Venezuela?
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #317 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
Why aren't you dudes reporting on the #filibuster that's going on? They are already speaking for 8 hours.

"They" is one dude, and it's all for show
yar

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Although the point he brings up about drones is pretty important.  But hey it's Rand Paul so lets all us liberals just laugh and forget it.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
I like it. I support the general idea of drone use but Paul is filibustering based on Holder telling him the president is authorized to use drones against US citizens on US soil. I'll give Paul dap.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
Although the point he brings up about drones is pretty important.  But hey it's Rand Paul so lets all us liberals just laugh and forget it.

The reason that civil liberties have been successfully shredded over the past dozen+ years while, say, gun "rights" haven't been is that there are no important, vocal groups that have stood up for it, and the reason behind that is that most of the population doesn't give a shit.  Fucked up but true.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
Yep.

Also, most people figure that they're never going to be in danger of being hit by a drone strike, and they're right.  The logic of the policy is fairly horrific (war involves killing without due process + the enemies could be anywhere from any nation + no chance of formally ending war with surrender + evidence that someone's a terrorist protected as a state secret = go-ahead to kill anyone, anywhere with fuck-all accountability) but the policy doesn't actually lead to the dystopian nightmare that it implies.

Maybe if we could somehow link this to people not pirating free shit you'd get a similar-sized backlash to PIPA/SOPA.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
Maybe if we could somehow link this to people not pirating free shit you'd get a similar-sized backlash to PIPA/SOPA.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3005100/mpaa-lobbying-drones-movie-industry
New documents reveal that the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is pressing the federal government to legalize Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) use in the film industry. In a lobbying disclosure report filed this week, the MPAA disclosed a lobbying campaign aimed at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to approve unarmed drone use in domestic airspace. The MPAA's lobbying efforts are aimed at reducing legal confusion about filmmakers using UAVs for aerial shots.

The Hill's Brendan Sasso reports that the MPAA wants UAVs in filmmakers' hands; according to an organization spokesperson, UAVs are cheaper, safer, and easier to use for aerial shots than cranes or helicopters. Drones are currently being quietly used for aerial shoots in Hollywood, causing fears that crane operators could lose lucrative filming gigs.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
We need to use a drone strike on Chris Dodd.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
remember when Chris Dodd was throwing shit at Obama over Pakistan/Bin Laden?

:ufup

:rejoice Obama tapping that ass :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Imagine a future where left-wing pinko thugs like Michael Moore, Jane Fonda and Sean Penn go to the White House because Grandma accidentally downloaded "Milk" trying to order a half gallon off the internet and ask for her addition to the Disposition Matrix.

And Obama just secret Muslim fist bumps every single one of them...

benjipwns

« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
Rubio just quoted Jay Z  :lol

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:13 AM »
Why would anybody respect what Rand Paul was doing? There's no selfless reason to support using drone strikes overseas but not next-door.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
The only reason we get Rand Paul is because Kentucky.
©ZH

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

The reason that civil liberties have been successfully shredded over the past dozen+ years while, say, gun "rights" haven't been is that there are no important, vocal groups that have stood up for it, and the reason behind that is that most of the population doesn't give a shit.  Fucked up but true.
That used to be the job of liberals :'(
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #331 on: March 07, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »
The ACLU was never really powerful, and in the "post 9/11" world everyone is only too happy to exchange OUR FREEDOMS for (the illusion of) safety.

Everyone to the left of center is too busy being happy that it's a generally accepted idea that gay people should have basic rights to care about civil liberties.  Unless you're Glenn Greenwald, in which case you're an unpleasant person no one wants to be around anyway.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
The ACLU was never really powerful, and in the "post 9/11" world everyone is only too happy to exchange OUR FREEDOMS for (the illusion of) safety.

Everyone to the left of center is too busy being happy that it's a generally accepted idea that gay people should have basic rights to care about civil liberties.  Unless you're Glenn Greenwald, in which case you're an unpleasant person no one wants to be around anyway.

You'll have to pry my freedom to not let gays get married and have gay abortions out of my cold dead hands. :maf
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #333 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
IF Mcain and fucking Linsay Graham are mocking Randall Paul, then maybe Paul wasn't so off base?  :ohhh
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: March 07, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
IF Mcain and fucking Linsay Graham are mocking Randall Paul, then maybe Paul wasn't so off base?  :ohhh

Or they want people to THINK that Rand Paul wasn't off base, at which point they will pull the rug out from under everyone and go "Nope, he was actually wrong all along!"
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
That used to be the job of liberals :'(

But the big pushes for civil rights/liberties came when you had large groups of people being affected, who served as the core activist constituency.  Blacks, women, gays, etc.  And the victories happened as the rest of the public became sympathetic to their goals.

The increasing leeway for how the government deals with those it deems terrorists is like the increasing restrictions on sex offenders after they leave prison: lousy policy that's very possibly unconstitutional, but targeted at a small group that most people feel deserve punishment.  There's no organized Molester Lobby to speak of, and if there were no politician would be caught dead dealing with them.  So the ACLU keeps plugging away hoping the courts do the right thing, but we've seen enough recently to know you can't count on that.

It doesn't help that the people most vocal about this are clueless about the political process or deliberately alienating potential allies, but it's not like it matters.  We'd need an inadvertent drone strike on a blonde 19 year old college girl before people would give a shit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:09:36 PM by Mandark »

« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »
The concerns about using drones to spy/attack American citizens is legit, but would the right be this up in arms about the use of drones on American citizens if they held the White House? I know the answer is obvious, but I'm not sure they would be.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
The concerns about using drones to spy/attack American citizens is legit, but would the right be this up in arms about the use of drones on American citizens if they held the White House? I know the answer is obvious, but I'm not sure they would be.

*checks 2007 for drone outrage among republicans, finds none*

I guess to be fair, Bush didn't assassinate any US citizens whereas Obama has. But something tells me if Bush had assassinated al-Awlaki (and his son) conservatives would argue he had waived his constitutional rights by taking up arms against the US.

I can just imagine Jennifer Rubin defending it.

benjipwns

« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) announced Thursday he will not seek reelection in 2014. The six-term, 78-year-old senator wrote in a statement that he and his wife "struggled" with whether to retire but decided he could better focus on issues such as reforming the Tax Code and boosting manufacturing over the the next two years "without the distraction of campaigning for reelection."
Granholm's going to run for this isn't she.  :-\

But something tells me if Bush had assassinated al-Awlaki (and his son) conservatives would argue he had waived his constitutional rights by taking up arms against the US.
Is the "something" the ones who were already doing it? Mark Levin was screaming about this earlier how everyone "standing with Rand" needs to be aware and cautious because libertarians might try to use this to give DUE PROCESS RIGHTS TO FOREIGN TRAITORS OR DO OTHER STUFF TO UNDERMINE THE WAR EFFORT.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #339 on: March 07, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »
I'm not voting for Granholm, fuck that.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #340 on: March 07, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »

Thought you'd learned your lesson with Snyder, dummy.  I don't care if they boost Kwame from jail and run him, your ass is voting for the Democrat.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #341 on: March 07, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »

Thought you'd learned your lesson with Snyder, dummy.  I don't care if they boost Kwame from jail and run him, your ass is voting for the Democrat.

I'll write in Lyndon LaRoushe. He's an FDR democrat afterall

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #342 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

I'll write in Lyndon LaRoushe. He's an FDR democrat afterall

:badass
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #343 on: March 07, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
It's going to screw with the Governor's race, some of the potential candidates like Peters, Schauer, Duggan, etc. could run for Senate instead.

Virg again by default would be great. :lol There's also been rumors that Fieger wants to run for something, maybe Governor again.  :teehee

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »
Fieger is the white Johnny Cochran :bow

benjipwns what do you think about Detroit potentially electing Mike Duggan, the great white hope, as mayor?

benjipwns

« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
Everybody seems convinced he's just using it as a springboard for Governor, seems like he's raising way too much money for a mayoral campaign. Especially since he may not even be able to do anything as mayor for a year or more depending on what the state does. So he could just sit back and bitch about Snyder for 6 months and then run against him. (While letting the state clean things up so he can avoid being the bad guy but also point to any "turnaround.")

I did see a poll a couple weeks ago I think where Duggan doesn't poll nearly as well against a non-Dave Bing black person as he does against Dave Bing. Was like 60-10 against Bing and 40-30 against a generic black person. (Somebody should seriously run a poll with this as the option. Like they do with Generic Democrat or Generic Republican. There were rumors that pollsters were seeing Duggan's support drop quite a bit if they mentioned he was white.)

This guy doesn't seem to be in favor of Duggan though:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I do think Kwame would easily win if he somehow was a candidate.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:26:22 AM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:19 AM »
jesus christ nk scares me
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
236k jobs, unemployment falls to 7.7. Housing market is really spurring growth
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2013/03/zelman-nirvana-for-housing.html?m=1

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #348 on: March 08, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
back to 8 after the sequester  :smug
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: March 08, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
back to 8 after the sequester  :smug

THANKS OBAMA
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
I'm sure that $100k will be paid for out of the Koch fund.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »

smh
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #353 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I will bet you anything Steve Doocey actually believed he was speaking with Thomas Jefferson in this interview. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
It's nice that Fox News is giving jobs to mentally ill people.

I'm referring to the hosts, of course.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #355 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »
No one asked him how Sally is doing huh
 :orly

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #356 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
 :lol
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #357 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/03/poll-rubio-trails-hillary-big-time-among-latinos.php?ref=fpb

Well then!  It's almost like BS identity politics only works at the margins or something.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #358 on: March 08, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »
It's still pretty early. Back in 2006/2007, Hillary led Obama significantly amongst African Americans.

Obviously Hillary shouldn't have much of a problem against anyone in 2016, barring some economic disaster or major scandal during Obama's final term. Rubio has time to improve his numbers, perhaps by passing immigration reform. Still Hispanics are surprisingly liberal on most issues and I'd expect their votes to mirror that in the future.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™