Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2284719 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Remember that month of soul searching the GOP did after the election? Sounds like they came to the conclusion their best shot at winning elections again is to just rig things.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
WDW

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

This might be the most infuriating video I've watched in months.  This fucking cunt needs to retire from the court.  Or die, I don't give a shit.
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
He won't retire if a Democrat is in office.  He'll have to die or have a stroke or some shit.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/catholic-hospital-argues-_n_2534383.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

But when it came to mounting a defense in the Stodghill case, Catholic Health’s lawyers effectively turned the Church directives on their head. Catholic organizations have for decades fought to change federal and state laws that fail to protect “unborn persons,” and Catholic Health’s lawyers in this case had the chance to set precedent bolstering anti-abortion legal arguments. Instead, they are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights.

A fetus is a person except when you are getting sued for medical malpractice.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh man. Block out the name and this is the most perfect example of Poe's law I have ever seen.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Hearing stories about ambushed convoys and women having to help fight it out, only to not get combat medals because of this ban makes me think this should be retroactive.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
It's Tucker Carlson*, this is just par for the course.

*or just substitute you're favorite right-wing media person, it really makes no difference.
dog

Phoenix Dark

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/01/my_god_could_this_be_true.php

perhaps the only political story of the week that didn't piss me off. This is priceless

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/mississippi_sovereignty_bill.php?ref=fpa

derp derp

He looks like he's responding to a casting call for either "Southern Plantation Owner" or "Fried Chicken Magnate".

©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/mississippi_sovereignty_bill.php?ref=fpa

derp derp

He looks like he's responding to a casting call for either "Southern Plantation Owner" or "Fried Chicken Magnate".

we need somebody that screams "racist"
vin

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Nate Silver did his usual roundup of polling outfits. Rasmussen and Gallup fared poorly, whereas internet polling outfits like Ipsos and RAND did well.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/

Steve Contra

vin

Phoenix Dark

Nate Silver did his usual roundup of polling outfits. Rasmussen and Gallup fared poorly, whereas internet polling outfits like Ipsos and RAND did well.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/

I can't wait until September 2016 when Hillary is up 5 on Rubio in ABC/NBC/CBS/RAND/etc polls and we see a return of the unskewing movement. Will be fun seeing Dick Morris and Karl Rove doing their thing again. I don't remember Morris getting much shit in 08 when he was dead wrong, but the reactions to his 2012 rants were great.

Mandark

• Icon
Appeals court just knocked down the practice of recess appointments, apparently.  Hm.

Steve Contra

No one will ever get appointed ever again.
vin

Phoenix Dark

luckily dems reformed the fili- ah nevermind

Mandark

• Icon
Harry Reid is truly history's greatest monster!

From what I'm getting, the court went against a lot of judicial precedent and real-world practice to make this ruling.  So maybe it gets overturned later.  Or maybe this, along with the near nullification of the ACA, is the new normal.  Sheesh.

Phoenix Dark

We'll see, it's definitely heading to the Supreme Court. Something tells me Mitch McConnell will be less concerned about going against the history/fabric of US senate tradition if he gets the chance to shitcan the filibuster after the 2014 election.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Harry Reid is truly history's greatest monster!

From what I'm getting, the court went against a lot of judicial precedent and real-world practice to make this ruling.  So maybe it gets overturned later.  Or maybe this, along with the near nullification of the ACA, is the new normal.  Sheesh.

Dern liberal activist judges, legislating from the bench!
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Mandark

• Icon
deep breaths...

ToxicAdam

Haven't really been following this, so this might be old news ...

State prosecutors who investigated the late Aaron Swartz had planned to let him off with a stern warning, but federal prosecutor Carmen Ortiz took over and chose to make an example of the Internet activist, according to a report in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
Middlesex County's district attorney had planned no jail time, "with Swartz duly admonished and then returned to civil society to continue his pioneering electronic work in a less legally questionable manner," the report (alternate link) said. "Tragedy intervened when Ortiz's office took over the case to send 'a message
.'"

The report is likely to fuel an online campaign against Ortiz, who has been criticized for threatening the 26-year-old with decades in prison for allegedly downloading a large quantity of academic papers. An online petition asking President Obama to remove from office Ortiz -- a politically ambitious prosecutor who was talked about as Massachusetts' next governor as recently as last month.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57565927-38/swartz-didnt-face-prison-until-feds-took-over-case-report-says/

I hate when federal government does this shit. Same kind of thing happened to Martha Stewart.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Sounds like she wanted to throw the book at this guy to shore up her "tough on crime" stance for a governor run.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Sounds like she wanted to throw the book at this guy to shore up her "tough on crime" stance for a governor run.

And there's this:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/01/triumphant_motel_owner_slams_carmen_ortiz
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
I hadn't seen this before.

WTF Fox News.

WDW

Mandark

• Icon
Well, it's not like overzealous prosecution is unique to the feds.  The DA in the Duke lacrosse thing was a local, for example.

I'd imagine that with broadly written laws that carry stiff penalties is that you either push for uniform enforcement where everybody gets the book thrown at them, or leave it to the discretion of the DA's, and wind up with selective overprosecution.  I'm not really sure what the incentives are like for prosecutors and whether they have any reason to worry about overcharging someone if the case doesn't draw a ton of negative publicity.

Phoenix Dark

Overheard someone desperately trying to explain why Benghazi was a worse federal fuck up disaster than 911 and Katrina. Because it could have been prevented but wasn't due to an uncaring lazy president who watched Americans die because "he thinks he's a king."

And yes Mandark this was at Subway. I have coupons!

Mandark

• Icon
That doesn't sound like black excellence.

On a similar note, from my FB feed...

:dizzy

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
If all our laws were modeled after Best Korea, our economy would be as vibrant as theirs.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Isn't illegal immigration down big time over the last 5-6 years? The explanation is typically that the US economy sucks...but if you were an illegal immigrant wouldn't you still prefer a jobless US over Mexico. Afterall, you can collect unemployment :smug

*10 people like this post*

Phoenix Dark

oh man, my friend sent me an email he received from his grand dad concerning "Obama's scar" and whether he has had brain surgery. I knew some people were talking about it, but didn't know it was truly "a thing"

this tells me a couple things

1) some people truly don't know anything about black people
2) Barack needs to work on his hair brushing swag
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:16:04 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
I assume that scar is where they implanted the Liberal chip.
WDW

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
About 2-3 years ago, it was all the chain e-mail rage that Obama actually has a tail.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I assume that scar is where they implanted the Marxist chip.

Fixed.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I'm not surprised they would do that in Kenya.

In America, under Obamacare, our enslavement will be in the form of RFID microchips in our bloodstream:

🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Black men have hair scars?

drew

• sy
RFID microchips in our bloodstream

BUT THAT WOULD KILL YOU DEADER THAN A HAMMER. "All according to plan Lord Vader" hueeeeeeeeee

:AlexJones

Phoenix Dark

and here we go

Senators Reach Bipartisan Immigration Reform Deal

A bipartisan group of eight Senators working on a comprehensive immigration reform plan are planning on announcing a framework for a bill Monday after reaching an agreement on the broad outlines of a package, including a path to citizenship for the nation's 11 million undocumented immigrants.

According to the Associated Press, the bill would grant legal status and a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants only after a series of additional border security measures were put in place. In addition, the package would include an e-verify program to prevent employers from hiring undocumented workers in the future, an expanded visa and guest worker program to manage future immigration, and a seperate streamlined path towards citizenship for undocumented immigrants who were bought to America as children.

The Democratic Senators working on the deal are Sens. Robert Menedez (D-NJ), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Michael Bennett (D-CO), and Chuck Schumer (D-NY). The Republicans are Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), and Lindsey Graham (R-SC).

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/senators-reach-bipartisan-immigration-reform-deal?ref=fpa

Sounds almost exactly like the plan Obama has campaigned on for 5 years, which sounded like Bush's immigration plan. I guess the only question is whether Obama will insist the DREAM Act be included, oh and what will the house do lol

Hopefully the STEM bill is included too

Edit: apparently this frame work does include the DREAM Act

Human Snorenado

• Icon
DOA in the House. 
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Of course it's DOA in the House, it's a sensible piece of bi-partisan legislation that 90% of the country would support. The remaining 10% are the people who watch Fox News and listen to Rush Limbaugh [i.e. the base of the modern Republican party].
dog

Phoenix Dark

It's win win imo. Either it passes and helps the immigration situation, or it fails and house republicans look like extremists once again for all to see. They're really shitcanning their brand and while I think they'll hold the House until the next census, at the least they will lose more and more seats.

I think the Hispanic vote will be secured for democrats in the short term regardless of what happens. As the GOP evolves, their demographic problems will get better so there's no telling what the long term Hispanic vote will be. That being said, the 2012 exit polls showed they're pretty fucking liberal across all ages...

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I don't really expect them to evolve until they lose the house and the senate.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment

We were afraid of a hard labor gap
QED

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
it was the needless bullying of then nominee Justice Sotomayor that cemented my opinion that the Pub's really don't give a shit about winning over the Latino vote.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I don't really expect them to evolve until they lose the house and the senate.

That happened in 2006, they lost more in 2008, and their strategy was to double down on the crazy every single time.  It's the only thing they know, really.
yar

Steve Contra

"you get a job" is the best part.  People I know are believers that the federal Government is actually giving illegal immigrants jobs as soon as they get here.  It's the biggest wtf about immigration I've heard.
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
It's all part of the super secret "non-white person" welfare system that gives you tons of free money and benefits.
©@©™

Steve Contra

It's all part of the super secret "non-white person" welfare system that gives you tons of free money and benefits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_duckies
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Steve Contra

That's basically the RNC's economic platform in comic form.
vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I thought that after the recent loss the Republicans were frantically trying to figure out how to appeal to Hispanic voters?
^_^

Brehvolution

If the pubs help solve the immigration problem, they aren't going to be able to use it as a wedge issue in 2014.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I thought that after the recent loss the Republicans were frantically trying to figure out how to appeal to Hispanic voters?

I think their conclusion was that they just didn't explain the Republican platform to Hispanics well enough (or disenfranchise enough of them).
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I don't doubt that some GOP leadership wants to make changes but going up against their crazy ass donors and even crazier ass base...not going to be easy.
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

I think that sums up the Republicans in a nutshell. Their grassroots people are crazy as fuck and the people with the money have no problems funding them (as long as they remain anti-tax).

It's a weird symbiotic relationship.