Author Topic: Yet another GAF thread - I still haven't got over it :( (No spergfits allowed)  (Read 4179391 times)

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
Never liked Daquan.  Whether the images are being created by white people or not, the joke just isn't funny.  Plays into white American hysteria over hyper-masculine black men ruining white women. 

I haven't watched much of Chappelle, but I'm more comfortable with this kind of humor in the two seasons of The Boondocks I've watched since it's all centered around a black family.  By virtue of having more black characters on screen they're able to have blacks who aren't complete caricatures in addition to the more stereotypical ones.  You don't actually see Daquan in most of the images.  When you do, he's exhibiting some type of stereotypical behavior.  In The Boondocks you at least have Huey Freeman as your straight man.  In some of Chappelle's skits he also just a dude reacting to all the weird shit happening around him  (though I'm sure there are plenty where this isn't the case).

Daquan meme is just the latest example of media where black people only exist in the context of how they impact white people.  Both The Boondocks and Chappelle's Show have some instances where black people get to just "be," which is something I really appreciate.

Are you black?
If not, that's a whole lot of reverse-coonisms.
<コ:彡

etiolate

:snoop

Dequan the BF is Spike the Punk Rock BF is Bones the Metal BF is Sunray the Hippie BF.

The temporal pop culture queues change, but it's the same setup. The meme is based upon stock photos of troubled teenagers and an imaginary character named Dequan who's living deep into pop hip-hop culture. It's the same old joke as it always has been and that's part of the joke being put on with the use of stock photos that tend to end up in books that are already dated by the time an actual teenager looks at them. Dequan could be black, but Dequan could be white trying to be hip hop and has renamed himself Dequan. That's why the name is Dequan, because the name itself can be a pop culture image. So Dequan can be black but he doesn't really have to be for the joke to work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:33:46 PM by etiolate »

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
Write a bunch of essays posts about a shitty internet meme brehs.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier

Speaking of reverse-coons.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday

Speaking of reverse-coons.

You still here?

What would the world even be like without DBZ :whew

Comics wouldn't have been annihilated by manga.

We would have all played WRPGs in the early 00s and late 90s instead of JRPGS.

Hentai consumption would be niche.

(Image removed from quote.)

we could have had baldur's gate 7

:tocry

it's okay though. the deluge of crpgs is almost here.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier

PlayDat

I'm black, Squiddy.

Dequan the BF is Spike the Punk Rock BF is Bones the Metal BF is Sunray the Hippie BF.

The temporal pop culture queues change, but it's the same setup. The meme is based upon stock photos of troubled teenagers and an imaginary character named Dequan who's living deep into pop hip-hop culture. It's the same old joke as it always has been and that's part of the joke being put on with the use of stock photos that tend to end up in books that are already dated by the time an actual teenager looks at them. Dequan could be black, but Dequan could be white trying to be hip hop and has renamed himself Dequan. That's why the name is Dequan, because the name itself can be a pop culture image. So Dequan can be black but he doesn't really have to be for the joke to work.

Eehh.  I guess this is possible too.  This kind of reminds me of the RE5 thing.  Few if any black people in those games for years and when they finally do show up you're tasked with slaughtering mindless hordes of them.  It's racist if RE5 is the only game in the series, but makes more sense when you know it's just one iteration of something that's existed for a while.  I played the game and enjoyed it, but totally understand why people unfamiliar with the series would be outraged by it. 

Daquan may just be the 2014 version of Spike the Punk Rock BF,  but I personally view hip-hop as a black thing and would be pretty surprised if I were alone in that.  This permutation of the old joke just kinda looks bad in a larger racial context. 

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
  but I personally view hip-hop as a black thing
:gurl

Himu

Never liked Daquan.  Whether the images are being created by white people or not, the joke just isn't funny.  Plays into white American hysteria over hyper-masculine black men ruining white women. 

I haven't watched much of Chappelle, but I'm more comfortable with this kind of humor in the two seasons of The Boondocks I've watched since it's all centered around a black family.  By virtue of having more black characters on screen they're able to have blacks who aren't complete caricatures in addition to the more stereotypical ones.  You don't actually see Daquan in most of the images.  When you do, he's exhibiting some type of stereotypical behavior.  In The Boondocks you at least have Huey Freeman as your straight man.  In some of Chappelle's skits he also just a dude reacting to all the weird shit happening around him  (though I'm sure there are plenty where this isn't the case).

Daquan meme is just the latest example of media where black people only exist in the context of how they impact white people.  Both The Boondocks and Chappelle's Show have some instances where black people get to just "be," which is something I really appreciate.

Are you black?
If not, that's a whole lot of reverse-coonisms.

Oh my fucking god someone hold me back I swear ya'll
IYKYK

:picard

Himu

I'm black, Squiddy.

Eehh.  I guess this is possible too.  This kind of reminds me of the RE5 thing.  Few if any black people in those games for years and when they finally do show up you're tasked with slaughtering mindless hordes of them.  It's racist if RE5 is the only game in the series, but makes more sense when you know it's just one iteration of something that's existed for a while.  I played the game and enjoyed it, but totally understand why people unfamiliar with the series would be outraged by it. 

Daquan may just be the 2014 version of Spike the Punk Rock BF,  but I personally view hip-hop as a black thing and would be pretty surprised if I were alone in that.  This permutation of the old joke just kinda looks bad in a larger racial context.

The RE5 outrage was silly. I mostly only ever saw white people offended. And everyone ignored that you do the same shit in RE4 and RE6. There was nothing racist about the content in that game. It felt like controversy for the sake of it when, in fact, it isn't just black people who you're shooting at.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:23:47 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

king of the internet

• 🚽
:picard

This is the only response needed to Squiddy's posts

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Let's be honest: Shiva is horrible and I blame black people for having to affirmative action her instead of letting Capcom focus on the "don't go into the sunlight" gimmick they were going for with the announcement trailer. :pacspit

Himu

Let's be honest: Shiva is horrible and I blame black people for having to affirmative action her instead of letting Capcom focus on the "don't go into the sunlight" gimmick they were going for with the announcement trailer. :pacspit

It was mostly white people from what I saw that were outraged. But then again, that's what the internet does. Also, Sheva kicks ass. Left handed mother fucker.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

Whatever. Weak ass character that didn't really add anything to the story and ruined my single-player series. :pacspit

Himu

Story. In Resident Evil.

:heh

Single player was fine. Step your game up. 1000/1000 and I've never played RE5 co-op.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Saying it's just another permutation is A=A shit, yeah.

thisismyusername

Single player was fine.

No it wasn't. You basically had to give Shiva AI an infinite ammo weapon to actually have her be some use beyond saving you from down-status. Otherwise she'd vomit ammo without killing anything. Using her as a pack-mule basically showed the game was designed around co-op and ruined a singleplayer focused series with needless bullshit that shouldn't have been added.

Himu

Naw. The AI, no matter who you play as, expends ammo depending on weapon type. Give the ai a sniper rifle or magnum. Doesn't matter if it's infinite ammo or not.

Single player was completely fine. Again, never played the game on co-op. Complaints were overly exaggerated.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Wait, why did we stop talking about cartoons :'(

etiolate

I'm black, Squiddy.

Hip hop may be black related, but the joke really isn't. In that, I mean it's target is not black people or black culture. It's not even aiming to make fun of teenagers. It's making fun of using a temporal pop culture trend as a personal identity, and that's looking at the joke as it always has been. The meme kind parodies the traditional joke itself with the use of stock photos.

Some people may use the setup of the meme to take it into a really racist territory, but that's an indvidual creating an individual joke within the meme.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Page 999

When it hits 1000 and this thread gets closed, I will paypal demi $10 for him to ban/delete any future GAF threads.  Let's just call it good with this thread.
🍆🍆

nudemacusers

$10? that's it? I got stacks on this thread b

and can we go back to pedo talk? this black stuff makes me uncomfortable.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
This is the second incarnation of this thread :stahp

I blame Devo
vin

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
Ya'll addicted.
When you can't get the source, you'll settle for something close enough.

This thread is a GAF micro-cosm, and it's ours.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
I blame Squiddy.

Cause he's an idiot and I blame him for everything.

I like your avatar, what's it from?

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
 :'(

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
Close the thread and ban the idiots that would pollute the forums if it didn't exist (:hitler)
reckt

you people can stop acting like you don't love this thread
😈

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
you people can stop acting like you don't love this thread

Or GAF  :-*

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Lock this thread on page 1000.

Dennis

I liked RE5 a lot even though it is not as good as RE4 - but then what game is? Graphics were real nice though.

Haven't played RE6.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
re5 was like re3 - completely derivative, but still mechanically solid and fun.

re6 is what happens when that same lesser creator stops tracing over the genius and makes his own work

so, terrible

re6 was directed by the guy who did the outbreak games, so....

good job capcom for chasing out all your top talent
pcp

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
I don't touch Resident Evil games prior or after 4.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
shut the hell up
pcp

Himu

The RE5 outrage was silly. I mostly only ever saw white people offended. And everyone ignored that you do the same shit in RE4 and RE6. There was nothing racist about the content in that game. It felt like controversy for the sake of it when, in fact, it isn't just black people who you're shooting at.

maybe i'm misremembering, but wasn't the whole issue initially raised by n'gai croal, gaming's most prominent black journalist?  based on a demo where the only people you were shooting at were black people?  capcom changed the game after that, you do realize, right? 

as an aside, i wish you'd choose between chastising white people for not noticing racism and chastising white people for getting offended over racism.  this constant oscillation is making me dizzy.

N'gai was one of the prominent people, yes. But he was just one voice. I wouldn't say he was the person who brought it up at all, but he did throw his voice in. N'gai was a lone exception, and most of the journalists did cast off RE5 as a racist game. And most of them were white. This could be because most game journos are white, but in the end, I didn't see any black people offended by it besides N'gai. That isn't to say there weren't any, but there it is.

And I wouldn't say the switch is constant. But there does exist a line. It's fine that white people notice racism and call people out on it. But it sometimes feels like white people are often offended for other races. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with bring up either. It's a completely contextual situation and just a social observation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:27:59 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

maybe i'm misremembering, but wasn't the whole issue initially raised by n'gai croal, gaming's most prominent black journalist?  based on a demo where the only people you were shooting at were black people?  capcom changed the game after that, you do realize, right? 
N'gai was one of the prominent people, yes. But he was just one voice. I wouldn't say he was the person who brought it up at all, but he did throw his voice in.
There was some rights activist I think who brought it up first I think. At least that's one of the first links I saw and what the GAF thread started with, I believe.

Phoenix Dark

Himu

It sure wasn't N'gai. He just threw his hat in to my memory.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

It sure wasn't N'gai. He just threw his hat in to my memory.

yea it was. I remember arguing about his article on GAF.

Himu

Longgif.gif

Nicca that is the only RE you have played, sit the hell down.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Longgif.gif

Nicca that is the only RE you have played, sit the hell down.

hey man I played 5 minutes of the one where a zombie jumps through the window at you.

Himu

Actually, Rufus may be right. It seems an activist on some black political site started the dialogue.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Just trying to get this thread closer to 1000

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Bahahahahahahabbaha

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
45 posts per page pleb.

Himu

I just read his article on RE5 racism and I still disagree with him. I certainly didn't see this outrage when RE6 had you mostly shooting people in Asia, and America has a big history with that one. I still feel that, while it's easy to see why someone would be offended, many of the criticisms are overly exaggerated. You could say that there's a history between white people going to Africa and fucking shit up, but there's an equally pervasive stigma against Asia. He says the zombies aren't humanized when, RE4 set the precedent that these aren't normal humans. It's hard to join in and agree when the series has taken already set the score on what you're up against.
IYKYK

king of the internet

• 🚽
PAGE 10000!!!!

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
IT ALL ENDS TONIGHT!!!

Himu

Lol
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

1000 pages...smh

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
It was a great journey ya'll.

From reading about your comments and thoughts of me from afar, to joining this forum ("Sticks and stones may break my bones / But names will never hurt me"), and finally being accepted as one of your own  :'(

I'm with you, and ya'll with me.
God bless murrikah!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Himu

it seems bad, but 200 pages of the thread are anime talk, another 150 are hiphop/music talk, and 450 pages are assorted food talk

I want to eat pho tonight. No. vietnamese vermicelli.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

it seems bad, but 200 pages of the thread are anime talk, another 150 are hiphop/music talk, and 450 pages are assorted food talk

And about 20 pages are dicks. :drool

::) AndrexWankingEmote.gif

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
finally being accepted as one of your own

:heh