Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 174723 times)

Polident Hive

Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #1080 on: May 11, 2024, 11:13:42 PM »
Actually saw a pretty neat fold out sofa bed that minimalists are supposedly into. Some Australian company selling the rare memory foam mattress. Their sofas use the mattress as cushions and turn into a bed in 3 seconds. Notably, they aren’t terrible sofas unlike most.

Well there are other memory foam mattresses. But spending upwards of $6000 for a tempur brand is nuts.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1081 on: May 16, 2024, 03:14:40 AM »
For better or worse I’m going to be in Tokyo for a couple years. Thankfully a quiet area, to the confusion of everybody I’ve talked to. On occasion I need to go to Shibuya for work stuff during the week, which to be blunt, makes me want to die. Otherwise a nice setup. Peaceful.

Really need to focus in on learning the language properly. Had a moment where I wanted to buy carrots and didn’t know the word. Then I remembered the Ninjin Loves You Yeah jingle from Macross Frontier and felt deep shame. But I enjoyed the shockingly large carrots they sell here.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: May 16, 2024, 02:35:09 PM »
One of the first things I bought when I moved there was a pocket electronic dictionary- there was one for the Nintendo DS that was pretty popular among people I knew there at the time too.

But now you can just whip out your phone and use a translator!  Still worth studying the language if you're going to be there long-term though!
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1083 on: May 16, 2024, 09:49:25 PM »
Call it misplaced pride or whatever but I’ve only now used the translator app when making larger purchases to know I’m not messing something up. It’s easy to figuratively and literally eat the mistake at a restaurant. When I’m looking for a laundry machine, and typically refer to it as a washing machine, and get shown dish washing machines. Yeah. Not a headache I want to deal with.

One thing I’ll add. This came together somewhat sooner than expected. Initially the aims were August/September. Tried delaying it to avoid summer. Out of my hands. Still need to head home for a week or two to bring some stuff. But it’s mid May and already 28c. Trying to strategically plan when best to. Mid June last year was hitting 35c regularly…
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:42:08 AM by Polident Hive »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1084 on: May 19, 2024, 01:53:38 PM »
“Already 27°C…”

Buckle up, buttercup.

Bebpo

« Reply #1085 on: May 19, 2024, 10:35:44 PM »
For better or worse I’m going to be in Tokyo for a couple years. Thankfully a quiet area, to the confusion of everybody I’ve talked to. On occasion I need to go to Shibuya for work stuff during the week, which to be blunt, makes me want to die. Otherwise a nice setup. Peaceful.

Really need to focus in on learning the language properly. Had a moment where I wanted to buy carrots and didn’t know the word. Then I remembered the Ninjin Loves You Yeah jingle from Macross Frontier and felt deep shame. But I enjoyed the shockingly large carrots they sell here.

Don't have anything to add other than this has been my go to online dictionary for 20 years:

http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1C

Polident Hive

« Reply #1086 on: May 20, 2024, 12:49:34 AM »
“Already 27°C…”

Buckle up, buttercup.

I’ve complained about heat quite a lot over the last year. Somewhat prepared by buying a new array of lighter clothes. Envious of the old guys I see comfortably wearing sharp three piece suits, as I’m in a t shirt looking like I stepped out of a sauna.

An aside. Rare times I’m around either Mikado arcade, I like to see what new stuff they added. One of them added Silent Scope Bone Eater. I had a vague recollection of reading about it ten years ago. It’s by tri ace of all developers. Kind of strange. More cinematic and rail shooter than the older Silent Scopes. The main screen is so zoomed out you can’t no scope. And I kept wanting to because the cabinet is so low to the ground you have to hunch over to aim. The other Silent Scopes and Golgo 13 are playable standing. Still, silent scope is really fun.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1087 on: May 31, 2024, 07:25:43 AM »
A regular sight this past month: signs saying “please don’t sit on steps and block path,” in multiple languages, about two feet away from a group sitting on steps blocking the path.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1088 on: May 31, 2024, 11:06:09 AM »
A regular sight this past month: signs saying “please don’t sit on steps and block path,” in multiple languages, about two feet away from a group sitting on steps blocking the path.

:peach
ど助平