Author Topic: Puzzle and Dragons  (Read 135755 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: Puzzle and Dragons
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
That's cool, Oscar. At least you are consistent.

I'm just coming from a place of someone who has played 1000s of hours of F2P games in the past 6 years. People are barking up the wrong tree if they are holding up PAD as an example of a shitty F2P model. I can see why people would assume that given its incredible success. But that's due more to the quality and depth of the game and not some secret, magic psychological voodoo it casts on people.

There are literally thousands of other games from companies like EA, GREE and King.com that deserve the ire.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
This game is totally playable for free, but you're bound to hit a wall where you're waiting for the right rare egg event (as I am) or having to grind to level/evolve and I guess that's where they're hoping you'll find it too tedious and dump cash into the machine. But with so many other ways to entertain myself on my phone I can't justify spending money on it. If you can, it probably just means you have more disposable money than I do. The only time f2p + microtransactions bothers me is in PvP games where some guy can come shit on you because he spent enough money. If the game is valuable enough to you to spend cash, have at it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »
I want free games

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Worst of all though in my mind are booster packsand variations thereof. That's just too close to gambling for me. I don't think I'll ever love a game enough to pay for a 'chance' at an item.

I think this the very crux of the argument. Lots of games offer a gambling style mechanic. Borderlands. Diablo. I think most gamers are alright if the tradeoff is your time. It rubs some gamers wrong if the tradeoff is your money. And especially how much money. Because the relationship in how you design that gambling mechanic when real money is involved invariably is going to veer towards screwing the consumer with bad/greedy devs.

I have a long ride I have to take tomorrow. I'll give the game a try just out of curiosity. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:54:45 PM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
dog

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
Fuck, I pulled a fallen angel lucifer today :holeup
vin

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
Sent you an invite GR, you better get something better than that starter dude as leader if you wanna stay on my list tho  :P

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »
It rubs some gamers wrong if the tradeoff is your money. And especially how much money. Because the relationship in how you design that gambling mechanic when real money is involved invariably is going to veer towards screwing the consumer with bad/greedy devs.
Yes, exactly. Even if the game is 'objectively' worth the money, the amount you give is variable when random drops are involved. I imagine most people, once they're OK with paying the devs for their work, also hope to get something out of it at that point.*
If they let you directly buy what you want it could be the only time you ever put money into the game. But if you have to spin the wheel to get it, you might just be compelled to buy a bunch more tickets until you either get what you want or hit your personal spending limit, which will vary greatly. It's genius, but it's also devious.

*Maybe it's the other way around and the majority spend only a bit of money at that point, just to give something.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
rolling outside of godfest  :what
hex

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
I'M NEW TO THIS DON'T JUDGE ME
vin

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »

3 times 0 is still zero.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:54:42 PM by ToxicAdam »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
If this game had a trading mechanic it would be the best mobile game ever created. Need to get a keeper of flame to evolve my starting bro.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »
If this game had a trading mechanic it would be the best mobile game ever created. Need to get a keeper of flame to evolve my starting bro.

Keeper dungeons are Tuesdays, so just plan to spend all day Tuesday grinding.

The lack of trading/an AH is what makes this so financially successful, so I'd expect to see them introduce that never.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Yeah, of course it wont happen, but it'd be rad. I'd pay 10-20 dollars up front for this game if it had trading.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
wow i'm amazed by how many clones this has got,turns out one of them is even avaiable to dirty european with android phones

<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
allright,i found a way to install the actual puzzle & dragons on my device... tips? suggestions? should we share codes or something?
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/

Wait to cash in magic stones at the rare egg machine until there's a godfest going on
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
that site doesn't seems to work at the moment

i searched a guide for starter... first roll got a 3 star monster,restarted... second roll got a 3 star monster,restarted... third roll i got bastet,was a 6.5 in the list i was using and i decided i didn't want to press my luck anymore... besides the leader skill seems pretty usefull and it already use a lot of my cost

any tip on leveling up? i seems to understand that in some case feeding a monster and then feeding that monster give you overall more experience
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Yeah, pdx is down for a site update apparently.

PDX will give you a schedule for when certain dungeons are available... you want to find out when "metal dragon" dungeons are available, or the Pengdra Village dungeon.  Those are special dungeons that aren't terribly difficult and give feeder monsters as drops, which will give a lot of experience.  I wouldn't bother to level up stuff then feed it to other monsters- just seems like a waste of resources.  If you get another monster that's got basically the same skills as one you already have, but better overall stats, etc, then that's a time to think about feeding the lesser one to it.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother- sell or feed monster drops that you don't find useful.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
is there even a small chance to recruit bosses and the like? my team basicaly consist of bastet and my starter dragon (which has reached evolution 3) but it's not really much of a team as much as a pair and i'm sick of getting goblins and fighters who look totaly unusable for anything except sell/experience fooder

i guess you need to end at least the second run before usable stuff start to appear?
<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »
just reached the third tier (fire forest nerva) of dungeon,i befriended a guy with isis and i've been abusing the shit out of it

this game :lawd
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:52:00 AM by magus »
<----

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »
is there even a small chance to recruit bosses and the like? my team basicaly consist of bastet and my starter dragon (which has reached evolution 3) but it's not really much of a team as much as a pair and i'm sick of getting goblins and fighters who look totaly unusable for anything except sell/experience fooder

i guess you need to end at least the second run before usable stuff start to appear?

Some dungeons have rare boss drops, yeah.  Check this for a list of what dungeons will give what drops.  Bosses only leave an egg rarely.  I've grinded like crazy in the Giants dungeons and only ever gotten two Titans.

The basic team-building strat is to use monsters of a single color, so your leader and friend leader will benefit the whole team (a popular arrangement gets you 4x attack, 2x HP, 2x healing).  Orb-changing monsters are at a premium for those sorts of teams.

PDX is a really great resource, and the Puzzle and Dragons forum has some pretty decent guides to ease in beginners.

For myself, I'm leveling my standard mono-Red team and hoping it'll carry me far enough to get some needed subs for a Kirin team.  Looking at what you need to beat to get Valkyrie, I can easily see myself hitting a wall.  Oh well, non-IAP or bust.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »
you have no idea how much i'm enjoying this game,i simply can't stop playing... it's like the sequel to puzzle quest i never got

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i know there was a sequel to puzzle quest,i'm trying to imply it sucked
i guess galactrix was okay
[close]
[close]

i just finished fire forest nerva and started the water dungeon... the pal machine gave me some bull devil earth monster and his attack is amazing so he's helping a lot for the current dungeon

can't wait to unlock technical dungeon's

my team

bastet - bull/taur guy evolution 2 - starter fire dragon evolution 3 - water barrier dragon evolution 2

i don't get the point of mono color team

- can't use isis,horus or any of the norse god
- lot of the gem on board become useless
- screwed when facing strong color (i mean how do you deal with water dungeons with an all fire team?)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:14:14 AM by magus »
<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
Yeah I've gotten pretty far with a mixed team, I just switch leaders sometimes and pick helpers based on the dungeon :shrug

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
You need to have high level monsters on a mono-color team, and you need to be taking advantage of EVERYBODY's skills.

For my mono-dark team, I lead with my Lucifer, who I've evolved already.  He gives me 2 x HP & RCV for all of my dudes.  I've also buddied a bunch of other Lucifer users, so that way I get 4 x HP & RCV total.  I'm usually going into battle with over 40k hp, and I heal a lot when necessary.  I run a Keeper of Rainbow for his massive HP total, and his skill halves damage for 3 turns.  Then, I also have Hattori Hanzo, who has a very unique skill- he turns fire orbs into dark orbs, and a Chaos Dragon Knight, who can turn light orbs into dark orbs.  They make sure I'm usually attacking, and if I need to clear orbs to get more to drop, I clear water and wood orbs, since I can't change them and they have no usefulness to me.  Finally, I have a Lilith that I use because her skill poisons enemies, making it easier to grind them down.

The whole point of using this team is to take advantage of the two Lucifers skills- in exchange for setting my hp to 1, I can do a massive critical strike to a single enemy for about 300k of damage.  2 of those will take out a lot of bosses, and the rest of my set up- really high hp and rcv, ability to defend against dangerous attacks, poison enemies to gradually kill them, and change orbs so I'm continually doing damage- sets me up for a grinding playstyle where I kill a boss enemy all at once.

tl;dr- know your monster's skills.  To get ideas for tough dungeons, look at the dungeon on pdx and read up on the suggested teams.  That will give you ideas.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
i don't get the point of mono color team

- can't use isis,horus or any of the norse god
- lot of the gem on board become useless
- screwed when facing strong color (i mean how do you deal with water dungeons with an all fire team?)

Yeah, a mono-color team doesn't take advantage of the Egyptian or Chinese gods, which rely on combos.  But they do benefit from Greco-Roman, Norse, Indian, and Angel leaders from the same color.  The idea is to put together a team where the monsters and their abilities work together.

The trade-off with mono-color teams is that a lot of gems become useless (except for combo bonuses), but that one color is now six times as powerful.  On my mono-red team, four of my monsters (counting Ares who I always pick as a friend leader) have the ability to change other orbs to red orbs, which keeps my team from being starved out.  The color weakness can be a real issue, though a high level mono team can usually just bust through it, on normal dungeons at least.  It's one reason mono-dark teams are so popular, since they're strong against light and weak against nothing.

Anyway, the point is that a mono-color team can be very strong well into the midgame (and longer if you're a cheater like Triumph and buy yourself a Lucifer), and have the benefit of being fairly easy to put together.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
:heh
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
i've decied to restart the game after realizing bastet was kinda meh and that i was relying more on the good monster of my friend list than my own monsters but now i have spin that slot for like an eternity and nothing as good (or godly) as bastet came out :S

i guess worst case i can always redo it all when that godfest thingie rolls out?

<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
Just do what I said- play as far as you can get and save all your stones until a godfest comes around.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »
Just do what I said- play as far as you can get and save all your stones until a godfest comes around.

yeah someone suggested waiting for a godfest before thinking of resetting but i'd rather restart now and spare myself the waiting time... of course i didn't think the machine odds would be this bad

how do you get more stones anyway? i tought you'd get 1 each day but apparently i'm wrong so i'm puzzled about what to do... i heard that you get them at "events" but that doesn't tell me much

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:02:50 PM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
They have promotions where they give you free stones every once in a while.  But, you need to be clearing content to get stones.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
They have promotions where they give you free stones every once in a while.  But, you need to be clearing content to get stones.

how many do you get per promotions... i guess enough for a single roll?

optimistic guess
[close]

oh also unrelated to above but on average how many combo can you achieve? i get around 3 which is also what made using bastet so frustating as i was always 1 short but at this point i'm wondering if i'm just not putting enough tought on my moves
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:06:13 PM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
It depends.  Usually they'll be at least five days in a row, yeah.  Sometimes as long as 10 days in a row. 

Early in the game though, you should be clearing all sorts of content and getting stones.  You get one for each dungeon you clear, including easy shit like Metallic Dragons and whatnot.

I've got some game with combos, but that's not the way I've structured my team, so I don't need to fuck with it too much.  But if I need to, I can usually get a 5-6 chain combo without too much hassle.  Remember there's no time limit until you touch an orb.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »
Yessss finally evolved to my Tyrannos to Fire Dragon Tyrannos.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
i've rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled and not a single 5 star came out,if i knew it would take this long i would have stuck with bastet,at this point i'm not even sure i want to play it anymore since while i really like the game itself all the strings attached to it frustate the shit out of me... it's silly that there are super rare's,that their powers vary wildly between somewhat game breaking and meh,and that they all magical appear when it's the end of the month
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:35:45 PM by magus »
<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
I didn't even bother rerolling, then again I rolled during a godfest through serendipity and got my Chaos Dragon Knight. Considering doing an all dragon team to have some variety of color but still stack bonuses.

Based on the last times they've had a godfest according to pdx, there'll probably be one fairly soon. I got 5 magic stones I've been hoarding :hyper
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:49:20 PM by Spencer »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
2 free stones for loggin in the next few days, god fest in a couple days, rare metal dragons in the pal machine, go go go

Also the 20 million download dungeon is basically a free stone
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:28:14 AM by Spencer »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
This game :rejoice
©ZH

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
they give extra stat so you should fuse them to a monster that you are 100% sure you will be use

i've been doing some roll here and there but nothing,it's impossible to get a god,i wish people would have told me what astronomical luck i had when i pulled one on the third roll even if it was a sort of half-assed god or that they would be balanced better so i wouldn't have been tempted to find a better one in the first place

<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
God fest is in a couple days magus, if you're playing the reroll game do it then!

JDub -- weekend dungeons give hella money, try to accrue a bunch of cash during the weekend to finance the week.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
Yeah, the Tricolor dungeon on the weekend exists so you can finance yer weekly grinding
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »
I plan on dropping some skrilla during godfest this time. Time to expand the only game I play everyday.
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Puzzle+%26+Dragons+Z/news.asp?c=53358 3DS version looks boner inducing, and you only have to pay once!

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
God fest is in a couple days magus, if you're playing the reroll game do it then!

JDub -- weekend dungeons give hella money, try to accrue a bunch of cash during the weekend to finance the week.

godfest only improve the odd for certain gods right? that means something like horus or gabriel still remains super rare considering the chinese/archangel fest was the last one
<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
According to PDX the next one will be Japanese and Greco roman

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »
started playing again after hitting a wall. finally have enough to evolve my dragon knight to a ancient dragon knight. pretty close with my chaos dragon knight too. should be advancing again pretty soon.
___

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
started playing again after hitting a wall. finally have enough to evolve my dragon knight to a ancient dragon knight. pretty close with my chaos dragon knight too. should be advancing again pretty soon.

you know one of the reason i don't want to bother is that while i had tons of fun,the content is really cheap made "here's a golem as the boss,now fight one for every of 5 colors"
<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
God fest start in an hour, hoping to get something with the three rolls I've built up :hyper

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
:stahp

Got two shitty 3 star monsters with the stones I'd saved up the past week or so. 
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
SUPER RARE god acquired on one pull. :lawd

But it's party cost is too high for me to use it right now. :beli
[close]
dog

FatalT

« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2013, 01:08:10 AM »
Started over and got Susano no Mikoto on my second tutorial run. Trying for something else though.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
i actualy started over again too and got thor before the god festival happened,now i made 3 pulls and i got one of those lame toy dragon,FUCKING VALKYRIE and HINOKAGATSUCHI (which i seems to understand he kinda sucks but ehy! free god! and if i find one of those light mystic knight he can always evolve into his light version)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:27:33 AM by magus »
<----

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Shitty stuff for all three pulls. Lame.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
I never really had any issues with team cost.  There might have been like once or twice, but that just means you need to grind a bunch of levels.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
I never really had any issues with team cost.  There might have been like once or twice, but that just means you need to grind a bunch of levels.

My total available cost right now is 30. The god character I got yesterday takes up 15 cost. So, yeah...
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
I guess I was just fortunate to never get an awesome character early on *sarcasm*
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
I guess I was just fortunate to never get an awesome character early on *sarcasm*

:jawalrus
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2013, 12:37:06 PM »
Let's see... I'm rank 98, and have a max team cost of 111, of which I'm using 99.  My Lucifer is 30 of that, and a Keeper of Rainbow is another 25.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
Yeah.  I also never fielded my two best creatures at the same time early on- I had multiple different two color teams assembled.  Now I'm mostly mono.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
i made another pull at the REM machine with the remaining stone's i had and baal popped out,for a free account having 3 of the 5* monsters and all of them being or being able to turn into light seems like an amazing start especialy compared from when i started

i also finished castle of satan and unlocked tech dungeon so i can now grind away :gladbron
<----