Author Topic: ULTRA Street Fighter IV  (Read 32094 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: ULTRA Street Fighter IV - PS4 Release On 5/26 For $24.99
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
 :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Patch is up.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:12:21 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »
New patch is up:
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/DisplayLag/status/609064535631093760
USF4 PS4 patch 1.03 is now live. Significantly reduced input lag. Stay tuned for our results later today!

:aweshum
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
Updated again...I think it's pretty much fixed now.  AA too!

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
USFIV is on, and I'm training Chun. I will get good with this girl. I tried Poison and she's fun but seems limited. Shame because I wish I could main her based on principle.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
SF4 relied on the training mode's recording function for that sort of practice, which obviously necessitates outside research. The closest they came to the above was the challenge mode, but as the name suggests, that's more of an input olympics thing than it is proper training. Maybe they couldn't allocate any resources for that, who knows. Or they knew the community would pick up the slack, so they didn't bother.

Baseline SF4 is an excellent fighting game, but the negative quirks are pretty bad. Worse matchmaking system I've seen in any console game, the ping meter doesn't mean shit and it takes up to a minute to find a ranked match. Mainly because of getting disconnected by someone joining at the same time. The non ranked match options are sparse as fuck. I'd guess more resources went into adding characters than anything else.

A lot of people thought Dead or Alive 4 was meh, but it had the best and most robust room hosting for a fighter.

USFIV is on, and I'm training Chun. I will get good with this girl. I tried Poison and she's fun but seems limited. Shame because I wish I could main her based on principle.

A lot of people rank Poison well above Chun I recall.
OH!

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
worst part for me about SF4's matchmaking system is the choice between same country or all countries. It's very rare to find anyone on same region, so I have to use all and then it's real annoying trying to find someone who isn't half a world away and will lag like shit.

Himu

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
Hugo scares me more than than in SF3 on hardest arcade mode :brazilcry Throw spam
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
Grappling :phil

Oiling up, then grappling :phil :phil

Himu

« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
Haven't played SFIV since 2012. I mean, when it's all said and done, between amount of hours played between all versions, how is SFIV (all versions) not top 5 best games last gen if not second best game of the generation after Mario Galaxy? :obama
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
mormapope did a great job of pretty much covering all the points I'd make.  Saved me a couple of paragraphs!   :lol

Playing against other human players is the best practice you can get.  Spend some time in training mode getting the basics down and then start trying stuff out.  That's how you get good.  It will take some time if you are just starting out.  You also don't need a massive move list in front of you because this is a 2D game...there's only a handful of moves per character to remember.  If you need something though, print something out or pull up an app/page on your phone.  That's what I do.  But sure, a better training mode is always welcome. 

The only old-school mentality I have, if you can even call it that, is that I like to just jump right in and start playing online when I get a new fighting game.  I might not check out strategies/tips online until weeks later, because I enjoy figuring out and discovering stuff for myself.  I also feel that if you take too much of what others say, you're just going to start aping their suggested play style...the same play style that all these other people have learned to play against.

Himu, I'll play you right now.  The PS3 version is not cross-play and is the worst version of the game, BTW, but don't let that stop you.  It's still very good and I played it almost non-stop after ditching my 360 a couple of years ago.  You won't notice the input timing/lag differences compared to the other versions.

You should use who you like.  Poison is not limited at all and as pointed out, is generally considered to be one of the better characters in Ultra.  She has an amazing projectile game and you can get those multi-hit whip combos off of pokes pretty easily.

Skullgirls has an extremely good tutorial fwiw. I recommend checking it it out because a lot of it applies universally to 2D games.

Yup.  Great game, too!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »
Good session, Himu.  You wanted some advice, and this is what I noticed:

-Work on your defense game.  You should definitely spend some time getting familiar with how focus attacks work and work on blocking high and low.
-When you're up against a grappler like Zangief and using a smaller/faster character, RUN!!   :lol  Play keep-away.  Zone the fuck out the opponent with projectiles.  If Gief gets in close, that SPD has a vacuum effect and is going to grab you from a little further away than it might seem.  Don't try to do anything too complex up close; just punish and keep the grapplers out with well-placed normal attacks.  A lot of the dumber players can't beat Chun's jump straight up and HK.  You can do it all day and they're fucked.   :lol
-Speaking of pokes..poke!  It will take some learning/research but you'll find the best pokes to help get more complex stuff started.
-Street Fighter really isn't a combo-heavy game.  It's more about fundamentals/spacing/pokes/footsies/etc.  Don't worry too much about crazy combos and work on the basics first.
-I would recommend learning one or two combos/strategies at a time and then work on getting them off in various situations online.  It doesn't help if you memorize something but then can't actually get it to hit your opponent.  I encounter players like this far too often...too much time spent "in the lab" and not enough time actually playing people.
-Keep trying different characters.  You never know who you'll end up liking.
-If the charge characters aren't making sense to you, there's nothing wrong with just dropping them and using fb/dp characters instead.  Could be that charge moves just don't suit you.  I know that Justin Wong will not play Chun-Li in any game where her fireball is a charge because he hates that input for her projectiles.

I think you did the best with Ryu, but that could easily transfer over to Poison.  The best Poison players I've seen do a lot of zoning when far away (her projectiles are awesome; remember that the lp version goes the farthest) and then base a lot of her close-up game around her "whip rekkas" (the multi-hit qcb+p x3 movie)off of pokes.  You can easily hit it off of crouching MK, for example.

But it's pretty much just all about playing so you get familiar with characters and match-ups. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2015, 11:05:38 PM »
I know how focus works but it's been three years  since I last played sfiv
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »
OK so this is my first time playing arcade mode. It's on the hardest mode. I just got the game this week so I'm getting used to Poison. I lost but I figure it could be useful for learning and showing you guys so I can improve me. Want to be good by the time SFV comes out. Please note again, I haven't really played the game in three years. Be gentle. :(

Here's a fight against Cody.

Critique me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:24:14 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
Lyte, I recorded Chun's fierce kick move in training mode and I'm learning to block it and trying to counter it using Poison anti-air.

This is a good basic combo guide:

IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »
I haven't played SFIV in three years as well, and Himu's posts made me buy the upgrade. What sys are u on, sis?
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »
ps3
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
Sweet. Downloading the data right now.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
Come laugh at me losing in online Ranked matches. I'm embarrassed I lost to that C. Viper. In the second round I did a cr.HP anti-air but it didn't register. Just losing optimism because on Super I wasn't the best, but I still won matches and got to be a B/C ranking. Now I'm just losing one after the other. Hard to keep at it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:18:37 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:11 AM »
Well it's not perfect and I didn't win, but I think I did good in the first two rounds. I was pretty proud of the match even though I lost. I'm still having trouble comboing whip of love. DS3 is awful for this.

IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
Something that can't be overstated is how fucked online play is when it comes to input lag and frames. Playing at a friend's house who doesn't have the best internet meant getting 9 extra frames tacked onto any and all attacks.

Also, playing in endless instead of ranked will help you get back into the game much quicker. Ranked matches are bite sized experiences where you pit everything you know against someone else. A ton of small shit was changed from Arcade Edition to Ultra when it comes to frame data and such.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »
Beat a 5th ranked in the world Dhalsim today. Was tied 1-1, and then I got a perfect in the final round.

:jawalrus

Dude had 18000 bp as Dhalsim and around 4000 pp. Watching the replay he played like he knew Dhalsim, so it wasn't a empty victory against a friend.

And then I lost to a 1200 pp, 3000 bp new akuma account.

:goty
OH!

Himu

« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »
So there's this REALLY good guide.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

And one part of his experience is starting to mirror my own. LIke how he never thought about how fireballs and shoryukens compliment each other. I never thought about that until having to use Poison's fireball for range and not having a great anti-air like srk.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I gave up on Poison specifically because I disliked Kissed by a Goddess so much.

Himu

« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
I like it. Not a good anti-air but standing MK and cr.HP is good. Kissed by a Goddess is good for reminding the other player that you have options when they're in your space, so I like it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
Okay so I got a win. :)

Again, it's not perfect. I mess up. A lot. I wouldn't even say it's a good win, but it's a win.

I didn't dash like in the past, and I REALLY tried to get used to punishing anti-airs with Poison. I took everything I learned in the past day or so and tried to put it in these set of battles and I'm pleased to say I'm improving a lot when I don't fuck up things up due to my inepitude. I still jump in more than I should, and I still go for the occasional risky move, but what I'm concentrating on right now beyond bad habits is trying to learn how to punish players for their mistakes and anticipating their reactions. There's a few points in this match where I predict he's going to DP on wake - he does - but I footsy and end up giving away my advantage. Another thing I'm learning to do: conserve my gauge. I usually use it when I get it, but I'm learning to conserve it. Another thing I'm learning or trying to learn to do is to bait the player into coming into my space and use Poison's backflip to trick them into making a move and then moving back in with a normal. I didn't manage to pull it off in this match but the essentials are starting to get there. I'm starting to learn that cr.HP as an Anti-Air really requires specific timing and practice. I'm also starting to learn how to Hit Confirm and it's really not that bad. I like it.

After this match I'm assessing my strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths:

- I have no fucking clue.

Weaknesses:

- Still jump in too much
- Inconsistent offense and combos, but that's not a priority now
- Lack of mind games and traps
- Sometimes reel under pressure
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »

That mother fucker.

It was great practice for practicing throw techs, but still. What an absolute asshole. I'm not going to call him cheap, because that's a lame way to make excuses. But :argh
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:17:46 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
Himu...I don't want to want to laugh, but  :lol :lol :lol.  Sorry.   :-[  That dude was totally fucking with you.  Your replay doesn't have the inputs listed, so...what were you doing when he kept throwing you!?  Did you get psyched out?

You're still jumping around too much and you keep trying to use Kissed By A Goddess like it's Ryu or Ken's Dragon Punch.  It's not!!   :lol

Also, focus attacks-- you don't have to jump out of the way all the time, but maybe that was just mid-match panic.  You can throw people out of them, hit certain focus-breaking specials/EX specials, or hit the opponent with a quick combo (just a few jabs will do) to stop them. 

That player pretty much saw that you had no defensive game, backed you into the corner, and took advantage of it.  He sucked and the fact that you've only just started playing seriously and still got two rounds off him says something.  You're gonna get way better and stomp scrubs like this into the ground soon enough.   :)
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »
Yes I got fucking pissed. I resorted to back dashing and I was not thinking.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
"There's no way they'll do that again!" strategy is the ultimate mind fuck.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Akuma and Akuma players ::)
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
If people focus you just use Whip of Love

e: or Love Me Tender. IIRC that breaks armor
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:38:27 PM by nachobro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/

Ultra on PC is on sale for $10.66, or $5.00 to upgrade if you have Super.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/17566/?snr=1_550_552

It's also free to play this weekend!
ど助平

Himu

Re: ULTRA Street Fighter IV
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
Bye bye ps3 version :hyper
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:02 PM »

:phil

You might want to keep it around as a "backup" if there's not enough people or a bunch of shitty connections on PC.  Happens every now and then. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »

You might want to keep it around as a "backup" if there's not enough people or a bunch of shitty connections on PC.  Happens every now and then.

The connections can't be worse than on ps3. :lol
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »

The connections can't be worse than on ps3. :lol

There's less players online.  Sometimes if you do same region-only searches, you won't get any results.  And all you get in all-region searches are Euro players with shitty connections.   :-\  This sale and the F2P weekend should boost it though.

People pretty much play fighting games on consoles.  At least Ultra HAS players...I was never able to play Street Fighter X Tekken online on PC.  Literally found one match the entire time I had installed, over the course of a year or so.  They didn't even bother to patch it to keep up with the console version.   :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
How long since you last played?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
How long since you last played?

On PC?  I play it fairly often.  Actually found a pretty large amount of players from Asia online when I was in Japan.  Definitely more than I've seen online here. 

But I don't want to make it sound like you'll never get a match.  Just expect to see less people online in general.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
Going to start maining Sagat. Dude does a lot more anti air damage compared to other shoto types, and I really dig his strong pokes over high damage combo shotos (Sagat can dish out a lot of damage in a combo pretty easily though). His first ultra is also really versatile when it comes to punishing ground & air stuff.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:26:30 PM by mormapope »
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:47 AM »
What platform(s) do you play on and what's your user name?
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
I only have the 360 version of Ultra, gamertag is deathpill00.

Sucks that I have the version that usually has the largest user population, but the people on forums I go to scrapped their 360s long ago  ???
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
Crap, that's the one platform I no longer play on.   :-\

A lot of people ditched XBL after SFV got announced for PS4/PC only.  PS4 is slowly becoming the go-to platform for fighters.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
Can PS4 fighters be played with a 360 arcade stick if the devs use specific firmware?
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
Can PS4 fighters be played with a 360 arcade stick if the devs use specific firmware?

Not sure about the 360 stick adapter, but games like Skullgirls, USF4, and MKX can all use PS3 sticks/pads, yeah.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
Alright, after fiddling with USIV free weekend, I bought it with the vacation costume pack. :p Double dipping within a week, sign of a great game. :)

Tips:

1. Try to make steam friends with people who play USIV on Steam rather than fully relying on match making. You will often get better connection, you can have easily accessible chat, and it's much more fun.
2. Match making is ok, but don't fight people below maybe C, and bars REALLY matter in this game. On ps3, red bars was bearable. On pc it's unplayable.
3. Turn V-sync off; smoother performance.

This is one of the benefits of being a goon: active community on steam. Nice and helpful too.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »
Had a pretty :smug rank match tonight against a C+ Hugo on Steam. I'm ranked D. Watching EVO USFIV really showed me how the game is meant to be played so I got on and took what I learned. I think I did a solid job, though I did get cocky in the second round.

I am really proud of the last round, especially the last move. Tonight on the stream I saw some deliberate whiff pokes to bait and deal a bigger hit. I knew baiting was a risk with Hugo but since I got cocky in the second round he'd bite. He did. I ended with him a hk sweep. Felt good baiting and having my plan work.

I think I'm a good position in regards to the basics. I still don't fully get focus attacks, though. Or when to use them besides fireball evasion. Now that I'm comfortable with my character, and since I'm no longer playing on PS3, I think it's a good time to work on mastering some combos with Poison. Her cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk, st.mk, whip of love is much easier to do on steam for reason. Maybe I'm just imagining it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:03:57 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Going to start using a specific lineup of characters.

Blanka, Rolento, Balrog, Dee-Jay, Rose.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
Okay Infiltration
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »
I already have my little 'stable' with Chun, Hugo, Rose, Cammy, and T. Hawk. (who I never use anymore 'cuz HUGO)  Was thinking of taking up Guile and maybe Sakura.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:11 PM »
My favorite style of play is doing annoying shit and tactics to phase the person I'm playing.

Blanka and Rolento can do that in spades. Dee-Jay having a hard knock down low medium kick allows for constant knockdown pokes, he has to played with a trollish mindset to win out in many matchups. Balrog is fun to play as in general, but I need more patience while playing as him. Rose has really good pokes and I like her moveset a lot.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
My favorite style of play is doing annoying shit and tactics to phase the person I'm playing.

:itagaki
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Right now I wanna work on my Poison. I've always liked Sakura. Juri is fun, Abel is fun but he's going to need a stick. Ryu is also a sub. Cammy is my former main, and i need to get back on her. I want to get good with a charge character but we don't know how many charge characters will be in SFV so it may be pointless?

Rose is really fun.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
Abel is fun but he's going to need a stick.

Nah.

I want to get good with a charge character but we don't know how many charge characters will be in SFV so it may be pointless?

That's a weird reason not to keep practicing.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
I've also learned overtime that you have to find characters that are fun to play as even if you lose the match. If I lose as Blanka or Dee-Jay, I won't feel nearly as salty or mean spirited versus losing as Ryu, Ken, Zangief, ect.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
Abel is fun but he's going to need a stick.

Nah.

I want to get good with a charge character but we don't know how many charge characters will be in SFV so it may be pointless?

That's a weird reason not to keep practicing.

Abel without a stick? iirc he's got a few spd's.

I'm not saying I'm going to keep practicing. :lol
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »

Abel without a stick? iirc he's got a few spd's.

Nope, he doesn't.

...Not that it matters.  I play on a pad and can do standing SPDs no problem.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, he's fun.
IYKYK