Author Topic: ULTRA Street Fighter IV  (Read 32092 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: ULTRA Street Fighter IV
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, he's fun.

The SPD grapplers are Zangief, T. Hawk, and Hugo.  Abel's grabs are half-circles backwards.  Note that you can do the SPD motion by basically doing a half circle back, then hitting up quickly.  There's no need to do a full 360 motion unless it's two 360s for an ultra/super.  That goes for pretty much every fighting game.
ど助平

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
I'd do SPDs with Abel out of muscle memory habit and it wasn't a problem on the shitty 360 pad.

Beezy

« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
I haven't been able to do SPDs consistently in any fighter. :(

Watching this made me wanna start playing USF4 on my 360 again.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
IIRC one of the best Zangief players, Snake-Eyes, uses a stock 360 controller.  Easily the worst controller for fighting games...I'd even use a Game Cube controller for Street Fighter over it.  And yet it doesn't matter.  You don't have to invest in a stick...just use what's the most comfortable for you.  You might even notice that some of the top players don't even use all the normals in these games...they'll map the buttons to other stuff instead.  Pad or stick, doesn't matter.

I'd do SPDs with Abel out of muscle memory habit and it wasn't a problem on the shitty 360 pad.

That's probably pretty easy since he doesn't have any SPDs.   :P

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
Problem with pad is that I need to learn how to play piano style, and I don't think pad is optimal for that. Maybe when I get my Hori pad I'll think differently.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: July 20, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
Problem with pad is that I need to learn how to play piano style, and I don't think pad is optimal for that. Maybe when I get my Hori pad I'll think differently.

You don't have to do that either.   :)  It's all your preference, but yeah, a Hori pad has six face buttons so it's no problem. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
Still wish this had been Abel.

Could have been a rival for Makoto.

I think vanilla SF4 had the weakest new character line-up of all of the games.  Fuerte is...lol, Rufus looks fucking stupid, Abel is good but doesn't really stand out (however, I think he looks exactly like a character who could have fit into the 1991 SFII, which is kind of cool), and while I like C. Viper's design (totally SNK, perhaps something that the EX-SNK staff who worked on the game snuck in?), I don't like her play style.  And then Seth is just dumb. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:35:19 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
Snake-Eyes uses a MadCatz Fightpad.

Also, you forgot Hakan <3. I played him almost exclusively before I quit. The trailer with its stupid music is all it took.

Himu

« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
Still wish this had been Abel.

(Image removed from quote.)

Could have been a rival for Makoto.

I think vanilla SF4 had the weakest new character line-up of all of the games.  Fuerte is...lol, Rufus looks fucking stupid, Abel is good but doesn't really stand out (however, I think he looks exactly like a character who could have fit into the 1991 SFII, which is kind of cool), and while I like C. Viper's design (totally SNK, perhaps something that the EX-SNK staff who worked on the game snuck in?), I don't like her play style.  And then Seth is just dumb.

omg that DESIGN :lawd
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »

Maybe it was Vangief then?  I just remember somebody using it.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
I ought to take up Elena.  Trolling people with healing seems like it could be fun.  I used to use her in 3rd Strike but didn't really take to the SFxTK and Ultra versions, but Gamerbee was very inspiring last night.   :lol

Also, you forgot Hakan <3. I played him almost exclusively before I quit. The trailer with its stupid music is all it took.

Vanilla SF4, not Super.  Didn't mention Gouken because the design is from the 1990s.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »

Hakan offends my sensibilities. A guy who oils himself up. just stupid, doesn't fit Street Fighter and should be thrown to the bushes. Dude is straight Guilty Gear for me. Which is fine in GG.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
Hakan has a bizarre design, but I give the character props for that unique play style.  He also doesn't look dumb like Rufus.  Just...weird.  Namco got the fat guy brawler-type down with Bob.  And SNK did it too with Cheng Sinzan decades earlier.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
Like, I'm fine with an turkish oil wrestler, but Hakan doesn't even look human.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3oMkNvQrI

Hakan offends my sensibilities. A guy who oils himself up. just stupid, doesn't fit Street Fighter and should be thrown to the bushes. Dude is straight Guilty Gear for me. Which is fine in GG.

You deny the beauty of turkish oil wrestling? :bolo

edit: Nvm, you don't. Good! But yeah, I actually agree. Should have given him pupils at least.

Himu

« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
They had the opportunity to make another dark-skinned fighter and opted to make a dude that looks like he belongs in Guilty Gear alien land. Just odd. I am very consistent when it comes to SF designs. I don't think SF designs should ever leave the venue of normal human people with fighting styles repping nations fighting each other. It's why I've never really liked Blanka. Everyone in SFII is normal. Stylized and anime-ish and having super powers, sure. But fairly normal and human. And then there's this green furball. :what I don't like Gill, Seth, or Hakan for similar reasons.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
Like, I'm fine with an turkish oil wrestler, but Hakan doesn't even look human.

Yeah, I don't get that design choice either.   :lol

I am very consistent when it comes to SF designs. I don't think SF designs should ever leave the venue of normal human people with fighting styles repping nations fighting each other. It's why I've never really liked Blanka. Everyone in SFII is normal. Stylized and anime-ish and having super powers, sure. But fairly normal and human. And then there's this green furball. :what I don't like Gill, Seth, or Hakan for similar reasons.

Yeah, I agree.  Blanka was always the odd one out.  But SF3 had its share of 'freaks' too, like Oro, Q, Twelve, and Necro.  Oro always reminded me of a 100 year-old Homer Simpson.   :P

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
That's why I'm generally not a fan of SFIII. Sad, but true. None of the characters appeal to me besides Ryu, Elena, Makoto, and Alex.  Just don't like SFIII despite being able to admit it's a fantastic game. :yeshrug
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
This is a series where people throw energy and literal fireballs  :lol

Keep the freaks coming, I like when Street Fighter has a mix of traditional MMA types and fucked up freakish dudes/chicks.

EDIT: Yun and Yang are the most boring designs in the series, along with having sorta boring playstyles. If there needs to be less of something, its those two.

Thankfully, SF5 looks like it has the perfect mix of normal and freaky.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Naw. The freaks suck. Their designs tend to be oafish and pretty bad. Q is the best freak SF character design though, by a long gap. Doesn't matter if it's a series with fireballs to me. A lot of the characters use real world fighting styles, and then you've got some bizarre green carpet. Don't like it. SNK and Sega are more consistent in this area, and why back in the day when SF was going the route of SFIII with its odd shit, I stuck with Virtua Fighter and KOF instead.

I think that with fighting games there's a delicate balance.

Either you have a game where all of the characters besides maybe one, are normal albeit stylized and anime (Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, SFII, Samurai Shodown), or you go all the way out and everyone is a freaky badass (darkstalkers, guilty gear)
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »

That's probably pretty easy since he doesn't have any SPDs.   :P

Hence me saying, "out of muscle memory habit. . ."

Himu

« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
I have to say, this is probably my favorite stage in a fighting game. :lol

It's so hilarious and I love how each new round it changes to something even more ridiculous. :lol
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »
That stage bums me out because eventually you see Haggar in the background. Really wanted Haggar to be added to SFIV.

Haggar should be in SFV instead of Gief.
OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »
You deny the beauty of turkish oil wrestling? :bolo

I'm sorry, what were we talking about in here?

I think vanilla SF4 had the weakest new character line-up of all of the games.

Gotta agree with this. Though SF5 seems like it's going to fix that with that new character yesterday.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »
That's why I'm generally not a fan of SFIII. Sad, but true. None of the characters appeal to me besides Ryu, Elena, Makoto, and Alex.  Just don't like SFIII despite being able to admit it's a fantastic game. :yeshrug

I was so incredibly hyped for Street Fighter III.  I would play it in arcades whenever I could.  I loved the visuals.  I loved the music so much I bought soundtracks.  I even bought a CPS-3 so I could play 2nd Impact.  I actually didn't go as nuts for 3rd Strike like a lot of people did, despite them adding back my favorite SF2 character, Chun-Li. 

But you know what?  I never did get into the game play.  Was never a fan of the game's take on parries.  I never settled on a main character, either.  Hugo and Elena were my two most-used characters.  I never used Chun in that game because I found her play style kind of boring, especially compared to the Alpha games. 

I like Street Fighter IV so much more than III.  I got into it so much more and put in so many hours in the game that I probably eclipsed all the play time I ever spent with all three SF3 games within a month.  Give me IV or Alpha 3 over 3rd Strike any day.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And give me KOF '98 over them all.  Real Bout 2, The Last Blade 1 and 2, and Samurai Shodown IV too.  Because that's what I was playing back then.  SNK mutha fuckaz.  :rock
[close]
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
real talk, I was an Alpha fan back then. SFIII just isn't that game for me. Alpha 3 :lawd I too enjoy 4 more than 3.

Man, SFV would be so hype with ISMs back combined with the V system.

And yes, KOF 98 :rock
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:45:21 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
Real talk, 1998 was the biggest year for fighting games for me.  KOF '98, Alpha 3, Real Bout Special Dominated Mind, Real Bout 2, Virtua Fighter 3 at home (imported) and others kept me glued to fighting games for the majority of the year.  I also got Waku Waku 7 and Kizuna Encounter that year on the Neo-Geo and played the crap out of them the entire summer. 

Alpha was my game.  More specifically, Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 were where I "peaked" in Street Fighter.  I was in high school and had plenty of time to play, plus plenty of people to play with.  Never did enter any tournaments but I was able to beat virtually anyone that I played or go toe-to-toe with them in the area.  In fact, when Alpha 3 first came out in arcades, I drove out to go play it for the first time, beat everyone there, then proceeded to destroy the CPU without losing rounds until I got to Balrog (hidden boss) and finally lost.  And I did this...

...with Dan.   :lol

I was pretty full of myself until I went to Japan for the first time and got my ass kicked up and down by some insane V-ism players in Alpha 3.  I have no doubt that if I somehow had gone out to Cali to play Alpha 2 in those days, I also would have gotten quite the reality check. 

Anyway, after playing Alpha 3 in the arcades, I kind of didn't care, shrugged the game off, and went back to the Neo-Geo.  It was when Zero 3 hit home later that year that I got addicted to it and played the crap out of it for several years.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:20:22 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
Put Alpha 3 and Super Street Fighter II Turbo on Steam. Don't care about III but that community should get support too.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
Also bring back ISMs :rock
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
ISM's are hard to balance. You're going to get V-ism (er-"V-ACT") and you'll like it.

Kara

« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2015, 01:04:54 AM »
KOF 2000 :aah

thisismyusername

« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2015, 01:20:07 AM »

Himu

« Reply #272 on: July 21, 2015, 01:41:58 AM »
2002 :lawd
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: July 21, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »
The correct answer is:

'98 Ultimate Match
:lawd

2002 Unlimited Match
:lawd
ど助平

Kara

« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
I'll tolerate spaghetti and meatballs picks like 98 but please don't sully me with Eolith or SNK Pachinko stuff.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: July 21, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I'll tolerate spaghetti and meatballs picks like 98 but please don't sully me with Eolith or SNK Pachinko stuff.

2002 Unlimited Match is like an SNK-fixed version of 2002, which was already awesome anyway.  Hate away on 2001, not 2002.

And "tolerate" '98?  THE FUCK? 

OUT.

GIT OUT.

MUH THREAD.

YUH VARMINT.

:punch
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
Beat a 1000 rank Juri earlier this morning. He didn't get a single win in. More than that, it was a Replay match and the replay was uploaded. Pretty good achievement, not that it matters.

Is the player skill level lower on Steam, because I'm winning way more on Steam than on PS3. Or am I getting better that much faster? I haven't lost a rank match in a while.

I'm now the in the 5000 rank for Poison on Steam. I want to get in the top 1000 ultimately.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:12:11 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #277 on: July 21, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »

2002 Unlimited Match is like an SNK-fixed version of 2002, which was already awesome anyway.  Hate away on 2001, not 2002.

OUT.

GIT OUT.

MUH THREAD.

YUH VARMINT.

This is for... Creepy Stalker.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Beat a 1000 rank Juri earlier this morning. He didn't get a single win in. More than that, it was a Replay match and the replay was uploaded. Pretty good achievement, not that it matters.

Is the player skill level lower on Steam, because I'm winning way more on Steam than on PS3. Or am I getting better that much faster? I haven't lost a rank match in a while.

I'm now the in the 5000 rank for Poison on Steam. I want to get in the top 1000 ultimately.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but is that 1000 PP or 1000 BP?  Because the BP points don't matter as much.  1000 PP is also kind of low but still, good on you for beating his ass. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »

Not trying to burst your bubble, but is that 1000 PP or 1000 BP?  Because the BP points don't matter as much.  1000 PP is also kind of low but still, good on you for beating his ass.

BP

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #280 on: July 21, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
Here's the replay, can you critique it?

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: July 21, 2015, 01:52:22 PM »
I see a definite improvement over last week for sure.  No more random jump-ins and Kissed By A Goddess.    :)

You need to work on hitting those Whip Of Love attacks more.  You missed several opportunities to hit and it looks like you also are having some issues getting out all three hits.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #282 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »
I'm hit confirming when they block the rekka, but there is definitely one point where I struggle getting all three hits. If they block the first hit, I don't do it again for fear of putting myself in a bad position.

The Goons you and I played with are gonna have an endless room tonight. Feel free to join us.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »

OUT.

GIT OUT.

MUH THREAD.

YUH VARMINT.

This is for... Creepy Stalker.

Creepy Stalker is one person that never betrayed your trust.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #284 on: July 21, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
No, but I let him down in the end. :'(

mormapope

« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
The salt people have when you beat them as Dee-Jay  :itagaki
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
JUST BEAT LOWTIERGOD AS BLANKA

Dude booted me from the endless lobby, dude was quiet and mad as fuck.

:sabu :sabu :sabu
OH!

Himu

« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
Lyte, when you get on Steam next? Been learning Guile and Juri :obama
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:15 AM »
Guile has a really good moveset and is the most versatile charge character, but I could never get in the right mindset while playing as him. Juri does a high amount of damage with her specials, don't really know much about her though and how she should be played.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2015, 12:41:39 AM »
His normals are amazing but it's really tough playing charge against a grappler. Still, it's good practice because I eventually want to move on to Chun.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
I tried Juri back in the super days but couldn't wrap my mind around her Ultra(s). What does Feng Shui Engine even do?

mormapope

« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Juri/Feng_Shui_Engine

Damn, the first paragraph makes this ultra sound daunting. Sounds like all normals chain together if you move up from light attacks to medium attacks and so on. You can also juggle the opponent.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Juri/Feng_Shui_Engine

Damn, the first paragraph makes this ultra sound daunting. Sounds like all normals chain together if you move up from light attacks to medium attacks and so on. You can also juggle the opponent.

Looking at that, you're right in that LK->LP->MK->MP->HK->HP will work, but the heavies (2HK or 5HP) will crumple or stop the chain. Also 6MK will chain but not chain out/into something, so it's basically like the Heavies.

It also stops super meter gain, which means you can do a few EX moves (or blow it on FADC/Super) but can't gain the meter until the timer is over.

Himu

« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2015, 01:06:50 AM »
feng shui engine sounds like certain characters v-skill

she should be fun in sfv
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »
FSE is fun once you get the hang of it, chain combos so gdlk. The hardest part is actually getting to use it. Activating after a throw or hard knockdown is basically your best chance.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
JUST BEAT LOWTIERGOD AS BLANKA

Dude booted me from the endless lobby, dude was quiet and mad as fuck.

:sabu :sabu :sabu

:rofl

LOW TIER FRAUD

Lyte, when you get on Steam next? Been learning Guile and Juri :obama

Been on PS4 the last few days.  Will get on Steam if I can tear myself away from Basara 4 Sumeragi DA GOAT.
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
http://www.twitch.tv/lowti3rgod/v/8913167

10:50 onwards is when I fought him. I actually felt bad for beating him while watching the footage, he seemed really embarrassed that he lost to me.

As Blanka I use his light specials for footsies and spacing, dude could not grasp that concept, or he doesn't know matchups against Blanka whatsoever. In the last match I did spam electricity when he dropped combos, but the dude shouldn't be dropping shit in the first place.         

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
I like that you immediately get his life down and he starts up with "got somebody else who has no idea what the fuck they're doing.  Wasting my fucking time."  Stay free and salty, Low Tier Fraud.   :lol

"What the fuck is this person doing, man?"  He's kicking your ass. 
:ufup
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
So he loses...sits there in silence...then kicks you and exits the room?   "I'm gonna make a new room for people over 2K"?  What a fuckin' scrub! :lol :lol :lol :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
Ahahaah
IYKYK