Author Topic: Sunset Overdrive - Now Out On PC  (Read 21951 times)

Beezy

Re: Sunset Overdrive
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
Lol I just tried it for a bit when a friend came over on the weekend. All I've been playing since is Bayonetta 2. My gamertag is Ji3eezy.

Cheddahz

« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Gonna get back to this once I finish up Wolfenstein (since I've had it for months now and I been meaning to finish it anyways)

Shino

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Does anyone think this game is worth buying a system for.  B/c that's the situation I'm in.  I already have a PS4 so all 3rd party games will go to that system.  Sunset is the only exclusive on the system that interests me.
SIG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
No, you seem already convinced.
fat

Shino

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
Curious... what direction do you think I'm convinced in?
I stated the question as neutral as possible b/c I want honest opinions on whether or not those that are playing it think it is worth buying the system for.
SIG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
The Tower Defense in this game, if that's what you want to call it, is pretty forgiving. It's really more of a horde mode and you have plenty of ammo and AOE weapons to protect your position. They can do quite a bit of damage and you still pass the mission.

Is it worth buying collectable maps or is it a waste of money? I'd rather divert those funds to actual guns and I think I heard that currency can be limited in this game.

damn is it?  i am a sucker for buying all maps first.

I’m the same way: maps first. It prevents boredom or frustration through backtracking later.

And I’m talking out of my ass here, because I haven’t played this game, but keeping to lower-powered weapons might be one way to keep the game interesting if you find it too easy.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
I stated the question as neutral as possible b/c I want honest opinions on whether or not those that are playing it think it is worth buying the system for.

Its not worth spending $300+ to play one videogame -- perhaps there are other games down the road, but if its going to sit there collecting dust.........
fat

Cheddahz

« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »
If you already have a PS4 and the only game you wanna play on the One is Sunset Overdrive, then it's not worth it

Shino

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »

Its not worth spending $300+ to play one videogame -- perhaps there are other games down the road, but if its going to sit there collecting dust.........
There almost definitely will be games in the future that I will want to play, which is what was getting me.
My original hope was that I would find a $300 Sunset Bundle for black friday... doesn't seem like that will happen though.

I did see some hints that it may come on PC.  Even if MS says it won't... that's likely just a CYA move.
SIG

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »
Damn this game is fun.  DR3 was my game of the year last year and this one will probably be it for 2014. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »
Alright so maybe I am missing something.  I just did Buck's challenge and it tells me to bounce and kill them but the way it counts the kills seems to be random to me.  I shoot them, I smash them, I blow them up and it doesn't count anything and then all of a sudden it does.  Same thing with the blower kills.  I assume I'm doing something wrong?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »
So chain the bounces basically?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
Oh. Well that is basically what I was doing and it wasn't counting. Maybe some sort of glitch. Oh well

sarslip

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
played online for an hour.  a lot of fun.  definitely chaotic, but seeing eight people bolt towards the objection is fun as hell.  almost done with the game now (three missions left).  i'd prolly rate it a 8.5/10, had slightly more fun with it than i did with Shadow of Mordor.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »
best game for me this year. prolly won't hunt some cheevos like the weapons but definitely doing all the challenges. and done with the collecting last night.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
and mups, it's not just you. wait a bit more before doing that challenge. what I did was shoots the mini chopper guns, they for some reason, counted as bounce kills lol.

Beezy

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »
This game is fun as hell.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
and mups, it's not just you. wait a bit more before doing that challenge. what I did was shoots the mini chopper guns, they for some reason, counted as bounce kills lol.
Good to know.  yeah I tried another Buck's challenge last night and ran into the same issue.  After retrying the challenge like ten times it started to work for whatever reason.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
Still.  This game is super fun and I love the challenges.  Basically a ton of mini games for when you get a little tired of the main story/gameplay

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:03 AM »
Rumor has it that this and Forza Horizon 2 are coming to PC.  Both popped up as listings on Amazon France.
ど助平

Shino

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
Yup... makes the decision I made a little easier to deal with.
This is now the second time it's been "mistakenly" shown as coming on PC.

The game hitting PC is imminent.  I'll wait.
SIG

sarslip

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
Yup... makes the decision I made a little easier to deal with.
This is now the second time it's been "mistakenly" shown as coming on PC.

The game hitting PC is imminent.  I'll wait.

As someone who consistently buys PC versions, i gotta say, Forza 2 is no slouch.  Looks great.  if you already own an XBO no reason not to bite at $30 on Black Friday.  sure the extra 30fps would be nice for a racing game, but again, it looks great at 1080p 30, and if it is coming to PC will still dont know when or if it'll be a good port.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
Made a badass black goth chick  8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:43:36 AM by toku »

Cheddahz

« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
Made a badass black goth chick  8)
#sadgirl

I've been so damn busy lately and I've just been trying to beat Wolfenstein before I get back into this and that's been taking me a while to do

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
Game is really really fun. I'm sold. Reminds me a lot of crackdown. But I didn't like crackdown. I like this though. The traversal is really great. I hope it sold well enough that they get to make more.

edit: playing more and holy shit this game is awesome. It reminds me of the rail stuff in Bioshock infinite and how that completely sucked ass compared to what is going on here.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:50:41 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »
I like that the traversal has benefits to skill. Its not just jumping, mashing x and hoping to use something to keep going. The city is very well laid out. That 500 combo is going to be a PITA. 100 was cake

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
Brobots

:rofl

Robot focus groups are 28% more useful than rodent focus groups

:rofl

Stoney Mason

« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
Got about halfway through. That's the most fun game I've played this year. The traversal is the best system of those kind I've ever played. It makes stuff like Bio Infinite and AC creed seem completely distinguished mentally-challenged and backwards. The game is even funny. It starts off grating. But it hits its stride and charm as it keeps going. I have a bunch of extra credits coming in via xbox rewards on the next deposit so I will absolutely buy it then. That game is fucking great. And its a fucking videogame and it knows it a videogame unlike all the other bullshit wanna be movie shit people are making. Fucking Impressive. And I've never really been that a big a fan of insomniac.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:50:22 AM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Yeah I got that last night too. I was able to put in 4 hours straight tonight. Which for me is like a once a year thing if that. I haven't done that since dead rising 3 last year

Stoney Mason

« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2014, 01:49:03 AM »
I just think a lot of games are designed incorrectly. Most games nowadays feel like the team had a good idea but its almost like how can we slip this good idea into our very traditional x genre game enough times so that it feels worthwhile. Instead of completely designing your game around the good idea. Sunset Overdrive is completely designed around the good ideas they have. It's not a game where the good idea is put in level 2 and then maybe reappears in level 5. The whole fucking game is designed around the fun of the good idea. And you feel it when you play it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »
I just think a lot of games are designed incorrectly. Most games nowadays feel like the team had a good idea but its almost like how can we slip this good idea into our very traditional x genre game enough times so that it feels worthwhile. Instead of completely designing your game around the good idea. Sunset Overdrive is completely designed around the good ideas they have. It's not a game where the good idea is put in level 2 and then maybe reappears in level 5. The whole fucking game is designed around the fun of the good idea. And you feel it when you play it.

I think a big part of this is that games are designed around "cinematic experiences" and "narratives" these days and both of those things fall well below average when compared to the experience they're trying to copy or other mediums. Games are afraid to be games.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2014, 01:58:11 AM »
I just keep thinking of Bioshock infinite. Which when you think about it has a lot of the same elements of overdrive. Plasmid powers. Assortment of guns. Rails. But there's never any moments of joy/real fun in that game. It never feels cohesive design wise. It feels like a game where the good ideas are viewed as not as important as a whole bunch of other stuff. It's like let's pepper in the fun very rigidly and sparsley because god forbid the fun of a game overwhelm whatever faux gravitas we are trying to build in the world.

We have gotten way off track with that stuff in recent years. I think a lot of games are guilty of it.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
Played this all day, finished the story and a good chunk of the sidequests. The game is pretty fun, but the mission design is almost as repetitive as Destiny's. Nearly every mission has you either defend something or run out into the city and collect or kill X amount of whatever. It's like playing an MMO. But that doesn't bother me much because the traversal and combat are enjoyable. I even liked going after the collectibles because it's fun to simply navigate the city. It reminds me of Crackdown or Gravity Rush in that sense, although I'd say SO is better than either of them.

Hmm, what else. The graphics and art are awesome, the soundtrack is nice and it fits the game perfectly, but practically every song sounds exactly the same to me. I'm not a fan of the writing either; it's way too meta for my tastes with the constant pop culture references and 4th wall breaking. It never annoyed me or anything, though.

I'd buy this if were on sale for $30~ for black friday, but it doesn't look like there will be any good deals. I might just start up gamefly again to complete it.
BiSH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
I thought the MS store had it for 30 bucks black Friday.

Cheddahz

« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »
Me and sarslip are not the only people who post itt anymore :rejoice
Once I get some more games out of the way, I'm going to get back into it, so don't worry!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

You know how hard it would be to traverse across the landscape to follow stuff like this in Assassin's Creed. How often the character would be fumbling around as I try to manipulate him to do what I want. 

So effortless in this game. And this isn't even doing anything actually cool or impressive. Just normal in the moment move around gameplay.

In this game I actually feel like a bad-ass moving through the environment. Those other games are supposed to empower me in this way but they don't.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »

$40 at MS Store

It's currently on sale digital as well
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

$40 at MS Store

It's currently on sale digital as well

Yeah, only $10 off though.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Finished it just now. Lots of damn fun. Well worth it. Now time for all the challenges and collectibles and achievement whoring

Beezy

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
Been hooked on this for the past 2 days and I have about 5 missions left. This and Bayonetta 2 are easily the best and most fun games I've played all year.

Cheddahz

« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
Finally picked this game back up last night and I'm kicking myself for putting it down. I'm (finally) almost done with the preps and I'm still having as much fun as I did whenever I got the game

sarslip

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
wrong thread.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:43:10 AM by sarslip »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
$40 on Amazon again so I finally just said fuck it.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2014, 02:38:30 AM »
dat new water traversal

Cheddahz

« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
Really glad I decided to take the risk of buying the season pass whenever I got the game now

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2014, 03:06:08 AM »
I still need to actually play this  :-[

Stoney Mason

« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
On sale for half off today. Buy it if you haven't already.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »
Was already about 3/4 of the way through the game with that free weekend. Started over. Still fucking fun as hell.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
I fell off this game pretty hard but it's a pretty decent title. Even if the humor feels like it's written by a 40 yo desperately clinging to relevance by being edgy™.

It was an infamously turbulent project that will sadly not see enough sales to make up for the amount of money Microsoft has sunk into it though, which is a shame.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2015, 04:02:39 AM »
Sort of numbskulled to build a game around the least entertaining gameplay bit from Ratchet. Half an hour in, and I'm already fed up with rail grinding. Other than that, it feels responsive and such, and I guess the goofy and laidback style is a nice change of pace; I've been missing Ratchet so I guess this is as close as we will get for now.

Probably not a good idea to play this right after Infamous, though.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
I thought this was way better than Infamous SS. You get more mobility options in the first few hours.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
I haven't played second son yet, just first light which I thought was pretty rad. Maybe this game opens up with new weapons (though the distance-combat formula being so-so in the first place makes me doubt that) but at this point it feels pretty low budget. A mish mash of random R&C bits with a focus on the most boring bit of them all, fused together with beard-comedy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:44:11 PM by duckman2000 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
3 new achievements added

http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/games-new-sunset-overdrive-achievements

I recently finished the campaign, been doing Chaos Squad which is -ok- but theres no particular strive to be first, second, or even last place. I just try to get the achievements and move on.
fat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:55:58 AM by a slime appears »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2015, 04:37:47 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Why? Is the game just not doing well enough?  :(

Xbox One isn't really doing well enough to nurture exclusive and original IP. The whole industry is still dealing with the AAA-or-die (now: AAA-and-die) cycle established last-gen.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »
There's a secret collectible in this game, it's stick figure graffiti. Press Y on them, there's 12 and here's a map to find them:

(Image removed from quote.)

They're adding this as a 175 point achievement

http://news.xbox.com/2015/02/games-sunset-overdrive-dawww-achievement
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2015, 02:40:28 AM »
Game makes way more sense once you get air dash.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
"I heard Norton turned into a dragon and tried to kill everybody. Know what I'd do if I turned into a dragon? Just enjoy being a fucking dragon."

:lol