Author Topic: Sunset Overdrive - Now Out On PC  (Read 21934 times)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Sunset Overdrive - Now Out On PC
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:23:47 AM »
EDIT2: Couple of pics... best I can do at work. It's a ten page feature!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

1 - GIANT LASER EYED FIZZIE. Shit yes!

2 - Insomniac says: "We've really begun to understand what we love the most. I think that's reflected in the tone of Sunset Overdrive"

3 - graphics looks BEAUTIFUL - very colourful and vibrant... even more so than PVZ.

4 - City is giving me a crackdown X Jet set radio vibe

5 - (edit) I hereby name this game Sunset Wowverdrive

EDIT 3: Some quotes, courtesy of u/dodmaster

"Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting throughout, and places equal weight on both skills"

"We wanted to take the shooter genre away from cowering behind cover. You'll be rewarded for jumping over that cover and taking the fight to the enemy"

And its this that makes Sunset Overdrive feel new. If a trend is emerging at all from the new console generation, it's that wall running is the new cover, and attack is the new defence. We've spent the best part of a decade lurking behind bullet-chipped masonry. For Insomniac, it's time to come out into the sun.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/250ufm/i_have_edge_sunset_overdrive_looks_amazing/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:43:59 PM by bork »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Sunset Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »
Straight from the MS pr machine "trend emerging from the new gen is that wall running is the new cover"

Looooooool

Shameless plug
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:00:49 AM by Lagerless »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:01:29 AM »
"We wanted to take the shooter genre away from cowering behind cover. You'll be rewarded for jumping over that cover and taking the fight to the enemy"

well at least someone fucking gets it. I'm still reeling from that SRIV review where the critic bemoaned the lack of a cover system. If you've got this futuristic ass graphics you need to be able to kill a bunch of baddies by shooting them in the face. None of this hiding behind concrete barricades; getting your toys ready.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
It's one of the most visually appealing games Insominac has done in about... 20 years. But gameplay wise is TBD. Resistance was blech. I'm not overly fond of Ratchet and Spyro's been dead a long time (and hasn't been under their wheelhouse in years).

But let's be real: This is probably dead on arrival being an X-box exclusive. Who thought that was a good idea?

"And firepower of an Insomniac shooter."

Oh dear... oh deary me. :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz gameplay incoming. Still, though: It sounds really interesting a good change of pace from the normal shooter tropes now a days. Too bad it's exclusive to one-platform that is doing pretty badly. I know MS wants it to be a "system seller" to people that like Insomniac games, but I really can't see them jumping to X-box for one title.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Direct feed images:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:15:40 AM by MCD »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »
This actually looks and sounds interesting (aside from the open world part, I prefer linear to open world for action games...). Not worth getting a 'bone over but still I'd like to try this.
^_^

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
looks nice and colorful at least, basically the anti FUSE  :lol

*yawn* at the shooting of mindless drones though

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
GIFS:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:40:47 PM by MCD »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
That looks really cool. :hyper

Did anyone read the article? Does the game have a single-player component to it?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
Enemy design  :what

Reminds me of these stupid MUSCLE toys

©ZH

bachikarn

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Is there a release date?

Yulwei

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Whenever I get an Xbone I'll buy this game simply because of how fun the movement looks. That said, if the combat is going to consist of shooting those samey looking special fellow zombies then I could imagine that getting boring real quick. If they're smart they'll have a bunch of stuff for you to collect and a progression system in place like in Crackdown.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
That cum-trail when he's moving at any sort of speed looks disgusting, but aside from that it looks pretty nice.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
I'm getting Crackdown 2 vibes from all the mutants looking the same
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
Looks nice, like a mishmash of stuff I like (infamous, crackdown, ratchet).

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
What's that coming out of his asshole?
Drunk

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
another open world action game where you play a white male douche, no thanks
SRY

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
another open world action game where you play a white male douche, no thanks

IIRC there is a character creator plus the trailer showed a female (implied to be another human player) so you should be able to change that.

Plus apparently the voices for the single player stuff have a male and female variant

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
I'm getting Crackdown 2 vibes from all the mutants looking the same

yeah, mutants in crackdown 2 and infamous 2 sucked.  it'd be nice if it's more like dead rising.

also looks a little slow and stilted.  it's lacking momentum of something.  other than that, looks really fun.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
That actually looks  pretty cool.

Purple Filth

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
The announcer in that video sounds annoying as hell.

Yulwei

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

Vertigo

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Damm

Looks pretty good. Read the article in EDGE earlier and it sounds fantastic.

Certainly one of the more interesting next gen games.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »
Official trailer looks dope as hell.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
Not impressed at all. It looks okay but the amount of hype people have really shows how desperate people are for next Gen titles. Looks like Dead Rising mixed with Ratchet and a helping of Ninja Gaiden. More than that, it is by Insomniac. It will probably be a decent game, hardly looks like something worth spending 500 (or even 400) dollars on. Looks like a C title you'd buy from the discount bin at Gamestop two years after it came out or at the end of the generation when you're looking for hidden kusoge.

I'm sure Y2kev got wet by that trailer at least.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:08:45 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
made it 90 seconds before the 'tude got too much.

Himu

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

The only interesting gameplay part was when it showed him getting all Jet Set/Sonic and riding a rail while shooting at a boss.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »

The only interesting gameplay part was when it showed him getting all Jet Set/Sonic and riding a rail while shooting at a boss.

Eh, I like the gameplay. What bothers me more is the wallrunning around the corner. Like... the dude didn't even grab a rail or anything to get around it, just did it because "LOL GAMEPLAY" looks awful animation-wise. :yuck

Himu

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »
I'd be more interested in multi and they didn't show it. Oh well.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:44 AM »
I like the mobility options. I think that's one of the early things for this gen is increasing your options on that front and that stuff looks cool to me. That being said I was never overly a fan of the ratchet and clank stuff. So we'll see.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:34 AM »
Insomniacs last few games have been so so. But now that they are on Xbox suddenly this is a hyped game  ???

Kind of feels like manufactured hype again, like with Titanfall.

I think this game looks kind of cool, I also enjoyed Resistance 1 and Ratchet. Just really surprised at the expectations people have suddenly.  Same goes for Bungie really. I didn't like Halo 3 and I don't think they are that great, they mainly were big cause of Halo 1 IMHO but now that they are multiplat Sony peeps hype Destiny up. Kind of weird.

Not saying anyone here is a fanboy cept MCD.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:35:46 AM by Lagerless »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 03:35:59 AM »
Do you ever have an opinion that is based on an actual opinion you have and not motivated by some perceived console war that pretty much nobody on this board cares about?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:21 AM »
Here I will help you

Insomniacs last few games have been so so. But now that they are on Xbox suddenly this is a hyped game  ???

Kind of feels like manufactured hype again, like with Titanfall.

I think this game looks kind of cool, I also enjoyed Resistance 1 and Ratchet. Just really surprised at the expectations people have suddenly.  Same goes for Bungie really. I didn't like Halo 3 and I don't think they are that great, they mainly were big cause of Halo 1 IMHO but now that they are multiplat Sony peeps hype Destiny up. Kind of weird.

Not saying anyone here is a fanboy cept MCD.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 03:47:52 AM »
Yep, you did edit in some stuff after your initial post which had almost none of it as I was posting. I guess even you realized how dumb it was.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:14 AM »
You must type and read really slow because I edited before you posted. Did you go to special ed?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:23 AM »
Now this is the kind of posting I can get behind!

At least its honest. And less phony than your usual stuff.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:40 AM »
So you rather have me be rude? I don't enjoy being rude.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »
I prefer a legit honest hey this game looks like shit to me because insomniac has a sketchy track record or because of x, y or z, or a million other reasons. (or it looks good to me or whatever).

But yeah in place of that I'll take rude because that's legit and honest too at least.

There is a reason I go after you. I would probably go after you a lot less if Sony/Microsoft talk wasn't peppered into every discussion about an individual game. It's fine to be skeptical of anything. I'm skeptical of EVERYTHING. Just do it for the right reasons.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »
Ya'll a bunch of haters.

:comeon

Himu

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
To be fair to Lager, I do agree that the hype for a lot of next Gen titles is manufactured or desperate. Sunset for instance looks okay, but I'm not understanding the "hype train" stuff as shown on the last page.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:38:29 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
i'm just doing my shilling business. never played any of insomniac shit.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
To be fair to Lager, I do agree that the hype for a lot of next Gen titles is manufactured or desperate. Sunset for instance looks okay, but I'm not understanding the "hype train" stuff as shown on the last page.

How do you measure a "hype train"? What defines a hype train? What level of posting or interest defines a hype train?

Or is it sometimes just easier to call something that doesn't interest me but does interest others a hype train.

Himu

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
I'm not measuring a hype train, I'm just noticing the amount of people who said they're hyped and are very excited for the title.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
I'm not measuring a hype train, I'm just noticing the amount of people who said they're hyped and are very excited for the title.

In this thread. On GAF?

If this wasn't a console exclusive and somebody said they were "hyped" does that constitute a hype train. It's videogames. Since when aren't people allowed to be excited for a videogame.

That's my last post in this thread for awhile on this subject because honestly until I see more footage I don't really care about the game. For me that's the case in 90% of titles or until I actually test out the game.

But just for the record a hype train imo is generally an unwarranted level of enthusiasm and excessive posting for something. Individually we are all allowed to be as hyped or non hyped for something as we want to be. The only reason this tends to come up as an issue in fact is when some people suddenly seem to care about what excites other people on GAF.

My issue is the same as its always been. Talk about the game. That can be negative or positive; Leave the GAF style analysis stuff on GAF. Because its annoying when that comes to dominate a thread.

EVERYTHING on GAF is a hype train. Because that is what that forum feeds on. No need to drag it over here.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:10:22 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just say "i don't understand what some people find appealing about this title"?  The way you and Lager end up wording it makes it seem like a conspiracy at worst and group think at best when instead some people are just excited for a title.  As for me, I don't understand why so many people care about what others find exciting.  Just like those guys on GAF who rage that some people enjoy mobile titles or a kinect/waggle game. 

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
These guys sort of lost me around Resistance 2. But then the last Ratchet game was rad so whatever. Never played that Fuse game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
These guys sort of lost me around Resistance 2. But then the last Ratchet game was rad so whatever. Never played that Fuse game.

I think they lost themselves. Fuse is symbolic of that. It was trying to be dark and grim and semi-realistic. It was a very mediocre game. That's not what these guys do very well. At least this looks more in line with their strengths.

Himu

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

I think they lost themselves. Fuse is symbolic of that. It was trying to be dark and grim and semi-realistic. It was a very mediocre game. That's not what these guys do very well. At least this looks more in line with their strengths.

I agree with that.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »
I dunno guys I may come of as a fanboy but I'm really not.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »
shut the fuck up donny
pcp

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

Cheddahz

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
I figured I bump this, since it's coming out in a few weeks

I ended up trading some games into Wal-Mart today (cause of the 2K15 promo and I ended up returning 2K15 right after I bought it), so I'm going to be picking this up on day one

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
I'll definitely be buying Call of Duty over this.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »

Game looks really fun to me. My only issue is that I didn't really care for those Ratchet and Clank games as much as other people did. I'll probably wait for somebody here to get it and post impressions.

Cheddahz

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
I'll be getting this day one, so I'll be sure to post impressions whenever I get it (hopefully I'll be done with Legend of Korra and Bayonetta 2 by then)