Author Topic: Smash Some Bros. On 3DS And Wii U!  (Read 29580 times)

Mods Help

Re: Smash Some Bros. On 3DS And Wii U!
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
They only go to omega? What's the point of having all of those stages if they stick to one? :lol

Anyways. Have this song in Smash for my Ryu-chan.

RE: Smash and traditional fighters. I still like this discussion.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/oct/17/there-are-no-friendlies-fgc-lets-just-be-clear-mike-ross-and-tafokints-talk-about-super-smash-bros/

Mods Help

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »
What skills can I gain to transfer over to other fighters by playing Smash?

SF2 - Fundamentals

Garou - Footsies

Tekken - Combos

SFIV - Spacing

qq more

« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »
Corrin is literally the only character on the roster I'm super iffy about. Dunno, something about him is just really meh to me. Maybe it's the reveal trailer or I just don't plain like his design at all. Might be a fun fighter though.

Was hoping for more returning stages, but the content they've shown is great. Can't wait to try out Bayonetta.
ok

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:28 PM »
They only go to omega? What's the point of having all of those stages if they stick to one? :lol

...Welcome to competitive Smash Brothers. Did you think the "FOX ONLY. NO ITEMS. FINAL DESTINATION." meme was a complete joke?

Tasty

« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »
There's 11 tournament legal stages in Smash for Wii U last I checked (12 counting Omega versions of everything.)

As for the characters, they broadly fall into categories of whether they're good or bad against your character and you go from there. It's certainly true a character considered low-tier can blow away a tourney if someone finds some gimmick with them since everyone is underprepared, but it's pretty rare. I'm not sure I'd say it's more complicated.

Morma's right in that reaction time is key and that's the biggest differentiator between the gods of Smash and everyone else. We're talking people who can nail frame-perfect input after input after input for three minute stretches. We're talking nailing 95%+ of inputs over >10,000 frames in a single match.

More complicated? Can't say, I don't follow other fighters, but I'd say it's unlikely. More physically demanding? It's pretty feasible to me.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2015, 11:08:26 PM »
I'd smash Bayonetta, amirite guys?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »

:kobeyuck

Even if I was straight, :kobeyuck

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »
Those huge hands and feet  :drool
OH!

archie4208

« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2015, 11:35:47 PM »
Glasses :drool

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2015, 11:59:33 PM »
Another Fire Emblem character :zzz

*huh?*

HOLY.  FUCK.  BAYONETTA?!
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2015, 12:13:44 AM »
Another Fire Emblem character :zzz

*huh?*

HOLY.  FUCK.  BAYONETTA?!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »

:kobeyuck

Even if I was straight, :kobeyuck

Bayonetta 2's outfit: :gurl :comeon :gurl

Bayonetta 1's outfit: :gurl :larry :obama

There's 11 tournament legal stages in Smash for Wii U last I checked (12 counting Omega versions of everything.)

...And? That doesn't disprove the meme wrong for Melee. It's a old old old meme that is still pretty valid for Melee. But I'm done shitting up your Smash thread with my Smash dislike, so I'm gonna drop it here. But if Mods Help followed competitive gaming in the past very lightly, she'd have seen the meme.

Tasty

« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2015, 02:07:37 AM »
I was responding to whodat saying 80 stages makes Smash too complex.

As for that meme, I got some laughs out of it when it hit the scene, but it really is pretty dumb.

Anyone is free to choose any character*. Hungrybox got second at EVO this year with mid-tier Jigglypuff. Fox is just easier for competitive players to start with (which ironically twists the meme - scrubs default to Fox.) Not saying he doesn't have depth or he's not the best character (I wouldn't know), but the reason the masses choose Fox should be pretty self-evident.

Anyone is free to choose any of the non-Final Destination legal starter stages (Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, and Dream Land.) Pokemon Stadium is an additional legal counterpick stage. Many characters are at a disadvantage on Final Destination.

No items is, whatever. They've been illegal in competitive tourneys for over ten years and it's not a decision that's ever been revisited for a reason. When playing with family/friends/casuals, hell yes I crank on the items. Should they be in EVO or any other serious competition? No.

*Except Pichu. Fuck Pichu.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:14:15 AM by Tasty Meat »

Mods Help

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »
Ive seen the meme. But Street Fighter at EVO has limited stages that are allowed so the meme feels silly given many non-EVO tournaments allow more varied stages, such as the Capcom Cup. For all I know, some nub watched and decided on that meme because it described only tourney he watched. You could easily call USFIV Elena Heals. Training Stage. And you'd look pretty dumb so I didn't put stock in the meme.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »
Fox is generally agreed to be the best character (some people say Falco or Marth), but he's not really for beginners. Way too technically demanding. And the "Fox only" meme gets it wrong, Battlefield is the stage that gets spammed relentlessly.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of like how people always go to the training stage in SF4, even though the framerate issues from other certain stages have been long fixed.   :doge  I was happy to see that at the Capcom Cup, people were picking other stages.  I bet they were told to do that.   :lol  I make it a point when playing online to always go pick another stage if I'm playing against someone who keeps going to training. 

Smash Wii U/3DS has Omega versions of every stage available, BTW. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
Actually Omega stages aren't too on vogue because Nintendo didn't clear stream rights for a lot of the music, so tourneys and streamers sick with FD usually.

« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
Not only that, but Omega stages all just count as a Final Destination pick. So unless both players just want a flat stage, it's not going to be a go-to. The standard stage as far as I can tell (and I'll defer to people who've watched more competitive play more recently than I have) is Smashville. The next tiers of popularity were always Town and City or Battlefield with Final Destination possibly falling in there. The rest seem to mainly crop up as counterpicks in best of five sets.

Now some locals might stick primarily to Omegas just because that might be what the people who earned their stripes in online For Glory mode are used to.

Tasty

« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
Smashville :aah

I was :-\ when Town & City was announced because City Folk is bleh, but then they brought back Smashville anyways even though it's 90% the same. :lol I ain't even mad. Must have been super easy to port or something.

qq more

« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
Yeah, they brought back at least 1 Brawl stage for every returning franchise. Too bad half of the Brawl stages were shit though and they make up a lot of the roster  :-\ And I'm one who enjoys casual play.

Corrin is growing on me now, the dragon thing sounds cool. I guess they added him as a "now or never" character, he would not have been able to debut in any later hypothetical Smash Bros installments since Fates would be old news by then.  :lol I guess I'll have to wait for Inklings and such for the next game. (I want Snake back but with the way Konami is now...)
ok

Tasty

« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
I thought they chose some good Brawl stages. At least New Pork City wasn't brought back. :yuck

Luigi's Mansion, Eldin, and Pirate Ship are GOATs. :pacspit

qq more

« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2015, 10:40:04 PM »
I thought they chose some good Brawl stages. At least New Pork City wasn't brought back. :yuck

Luigi's Mansion, Eldin, and Pirate Ship are GOATs. :pacspit
Pirate Ship was the one Brawl stage I was disappointed and surprised in not coming back til the previous DLC update. So glad it's back.

I wish they chosen some Melee stages over their Brawl counterparts though. Pokemon Stadium 2 over 1???  :yuck  :yuck :yuck Who wanted that crap?
ok

Tasty

« Reply #262 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »
It probably looked a little better, but yeah, should have had both. (Like Smashville and Town & City, haha.)

I actually think I like Brawl's original stages more than Melee's, it's hard to tell.

GOAT
Smashville
Luigi's Mansion
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship

Great
Delfino Plaza
Shadow Moses
Green Hill Zone
WarioWare (fight me)
75m (ditto above)
Castle Siege
Port Town Aero Dive
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Battleship Halberd
Mario Bros.

Meh
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Skyworld
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Spear Pillar

Crap
New Pork City
The Summit
Distant Planet
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom
Hanenbow

Though I will say the fact that Fountain of Dreams isn't in Smash 4, either base game or DLC, is a crime against humanity. Otherwise I'm glad Sakurai realizes that Temple and Onett are the best stages in all of Smash Bros. and keeps bringing them into the new games.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:33:16 AM by Tasty Meat »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »
Brawl may be one of the biggest disappointments ever for me... and the stages were a big part of that. New Pork City and Spear Pillar were like unplayably bad.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2015, 01:32:46 AM »
Spear Pillar could be fun in small doses but New Pork City was straight stash. Tried to capture dat Temple lightning and failed miserably.

The rest of the stages were good overall I feel. To each their own.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
Brawl was a disappointment to me because of crap like tripping and shitty online play.  And the latter was what I experienced while living in TEH NIPPON, so there's no excuse for netcode that shitty.

I regret getting rid of Melee when Brawl came out, although now I don't care since Smash '4' is what I'd play anyway.  I still don't think that this game series holds a candle to most other fighting game series, though.
:idont
ど助平

« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
Andy, what are your thoughts on Palutena's Temple? During the time I played it at a friend's place, I felt like it was one of the worst stages in the game due to combining the two worst aspects from New Pork and Temple: a pointlessly huge stage like the former with a ton of solid structures that prevent you from getting knocked away like the latter, only since they're /everywhere/ in PT, its doesn't work the same way as in Temple where you still have the entire upper section to work with.

Tasty

« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Whenever it comes on (I always casual-play with stages set to random) me and the person I'm playing with usually groan.

It's not bad on a super giant TV since Smash is 1080p, but otherwise it's kind of a headache. I will say it's sort of fun for 8-Player Smash since everyone has their own "area" to face their "nemesis" in.

I like the idea for the stage and the general style of it a lot more than New Pork though. I would say New Pork is the worst "big stage" but The Great Cave Offensive gives it a run for it's money. It feels even bigger than Palutena's Temple and I can never tell what's going on even with a big screen.

Temple hits the perfect balance of big but not too big.

qq more

« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2015, 05:06:12 PM »
Andy, what are your thoughts on Palutena's Temple? During the time I played it at a friend's place, I felt like it was one of the worst stages in the game due to combining the two worst aspects from New Pork and Temple: a pointlessly huge stage like the former with a ton of solid structures that prevent you from getting knocked away like the latter, only since they're /everywhere/ in PT, its doesn't work the same way as in Temple where you still have the entire upper section to work with.
It honestly feels like they still don't get what made Temple great as a huge stage. New Pork City, 75m, Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive are all so bad. I have an annoying friend who tends to pick these huge stages just so he can camp and "spam" the charge lasers as Robin. It never worked out for him though  :lol

Palutena's Temple would've been a much better stage if they split it into seperate levels. The whole stage feels like they made 3 stages and decided to put them all in one map. Doesn't feel very coherent either.

EDIT: In speaking of bad stages. The absolute worst stage of all time goes to Pac-Land. Its only saving grace is the cool Pac-Man remixes and some of the Namco medleys.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:10:36 PM by qq more »
ok

Tasty

« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
I can't even remember playing on Pac-Land, haha.

Can't believe Wii U got that crap while 3DS got the amazing Pac-Man arcade stage.

qq more

« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »
I can't even remember playing on Pac-Land, haha.

Can't believe Wii U got that crap while 3DS got the amazing Pac-Man arcade stage.
It was like a very obnoxious side scrolling stage with a shit load of hazards pushing you everywhere, making fighting a really hard task. Doesn't even help that by the final segment of the stage, you're forced to go left and have to walk on collapsing bridges in between ledges you can't even grab on.
ok

Tasty

« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »

qq more

« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
even though im okay with corrin now, thats still hilarious  :lol

hes a better choice than k rool :^)
ok

Tasty

« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
If I was in charge of things I'd replace Corrin with Snake, but then again I didn't even vote so I can't really complain lol.

Villager remains the best Smash 4 newcomer.

qq more

« Reply #275 on: December 19, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
Been practicing a bit with Jigglypuff. A really high risk and reward character, but man some of her best moves requires precision and that's pretty difficult online. I've learned how to hop and rest real quick though so I'm getting somewhere!
ok

Tasty

« Reply #276 on: December 19, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
The sub-second lag online is difficult to deal with after training a lot locally. Maybe I just need to practice 100% online so I get used to it...

Anyways just spent $40 for the last three DLC packs (3DS + Wii U.) :dizzy

Tasty

« Reply #277 on: December 19, 2015, 12:58:55 AM »
Also total price of all DLC since it was asked earlier.

$57.16 for Nintendo 3DS.
$59.15 for Wii U.
$81.35 when bought together.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2015, 03:41:31 AM »
Nintendo goin all in on that dlc gravy train

So DLC on Weeo cost almost as much as the game itself, if you are 3DS only the DLC ends up being MORE than the base game, if you bought both the DLC is 18 and change less than the twos combined msrp. :doge
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
And the final two fighters and set of Mii stuff isn't even out yet! :doge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #280 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:09 AM »
Ah so that total is going up further even!
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #281 on: December 19, 2015, 05:05:55 AM »
Nope. Will probably be around $95 when all is said and done. :lol

So if you want both versions and all the DLC, you're gonna have to cough up almost $200. :dizzy

qq more

« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »
How much does it cost w/o any Mii Costumes?

I really think they should've went with Mario Kart 8's route with paid DLC. They handled that one the best. Wasn't it like 12 dollars for what was basically 16 tracks, 6 characters and 8 vehicles?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:21:40 AM by qq more »
ok

Tasty

« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »
MK8 had more relative value, yeah. Although it was really kind of a steal. :P

Just stages and fighters (includes Bayonetta and Corrin):

$43.39 for Nintendo 3DS (7 fighters + 4 stages.)
$45.38 for Wii U (7 fighters + 5 stages.)
$56.38 when bought together (includes Wii U-only stage Pirate Ship.)

Really wish we got more stages tbh, even just ports of old ones.

qq more

« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
I'm happy with the DLC stages, they were all pretty enjoyable. I think I play them far more than the base game's stages  :lol

Hyrule Castle is the best. I wish we had Saffron City and a load of Melee stages too but oh well
ok

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #285 on: December 19, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
Cloud is super overpowered, I love it
püp

Mods Help

« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »

:obama

That video convinced me to get into Smash. Good punish game, footsies, hops. Shit looks straight AND it has an active community.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:53:53 PM by Mods Help »

Tasty

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
Glad to have you aboard. Try out other characters when you get the chance, too.

Mods Help

« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »
Cloud's not my hype. Call me when SE puts in Squall or Laguna. What interests me is the game mechanic deconstruction of the video. (i.e. is this a fighting game worth putting hours into?). It really is no different from deconstructing or getting into the guts in any other legit fighter.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:12:02 PM by Mods Help »

Tasty

« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
OK. But there have been vids of that for other characters for years. :P

Mods Help

« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
I hadn't seen them. I saw the video randomly posted in fighting game places I read and watched it. I didn't start taking fighters seriously until half a year ago. I'm trying to grow a player, so even if I saw the same video a few years ago, I probably wouldn't have cared.

Tasty

« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »
Well good luck. I'm not super good at the game despite playing it since the N64 version. :P

I can reliably beat everyone I know IRL, but I'm toast online.

Tasty

« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »

"Perfect Pivot Crouch Cancel"

AKA wavedashing but with way more complex inputs required.

Still so bad at perfect pivoting. :( With my new controller setup (got a USB 1-to-2 thing so I can have the GC adapter connected all the time) hopefully I'll be playing Smash a hell of a lot more and getting better.

Tasty

« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
Also even ESPN is onto Smash now: http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/14613564/what-genesis-tells-us-smash-2016

MAINSTREAM VALIDATION :mouf

archie4208

« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
ESPN covers pro wrestling and poker.  I wouldn't see them covering Smash as a sign of validation.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
ESPN covers pro wrestling and poker.  I wouldn't see them covering Smash as a sign of validation.  :doge

It's a step up over IGN and Kotaku :hitler