Author Topic: GAMERGATE: Both Sides Have The Same Melt Value  (Read 177348 times)

Re: GAMERGATE
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
honestly I think a lot of people in the industry/scene just never liked "gamer culture" to begin with, we just kept it to ourselves for 20 years :goty

Gamer culture has never interested me. I love playing games but I've never seen it as a lifestyle that defines me. And this is coming from a guy who imports crazy ass games from Japan on a regular basis.
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »
just a reminder that gamergate members are still out there harassing women and sending them very specific death and rape threats, so if you support them you're a fucking asshole
pcp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »
What if we don't support their movement or stated goals, only their death and rape threats.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »
This shit is still undoing my brain every time I happen to read about it, it's like it just can't contain all the fuckery
___

benjipwns

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2014, 01:55:55 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

:deadpos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Gamergate_controversy

:deadpos :deadpos :deadpos :deadpos :deadpos :deadpos :deadpos :deadpos
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:00:26 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/10/09/gamergate-is-not-a-hate-group-its-a-consumer-movement/

If that sounds absurd it’s because it is: #GamerGate, like any grassroots movement, has diffuse goals and priorities, but it’s a movement that has gone out of its way to decry harassment and abuse because it recognizes that some people associated with it have been abusive. And from my observations, that abuse goes both ways. According to some #GamerGate is the tech world’s version of ISIS, the resurgent Middle-Eastern militant group responsible for things like killing and beheading innocent people. I’ve spoken with writers who claim to have been blacklisted for showing support for the movement.

I don’t agree with everything I see associated with the tag, and there really are hateful people out there using it, too, but by and large what I see in #GamerGate are a lot of very disgruntled, jaded, and alienated gamers. They’re not alienated because they feel the world is evolving beyond their comfort zone, they feel alienated because the media is outright telling them they need to hurry up and die. This feels particularly disingenuous when this same media appears more interested in being chummy with developers and publishers or pushing a specific social agenda, and less concerned with games and the people who play them.

This is at the heart of #GamerGate. This dissatisfaction and anger about the direction of the video game press. And articles like Sottek’s only add fuel to the fire. This makes it harder for people to engage. Members of the video game press have a hard time engaging on places like Twitter because so many #GamerGate supporters are angry and quick to lash out; #GamerGate supporters are constantly being told they’re horrible, misogynistic, gross nerds who just want to harass women, so they’re perpetually on the defensive.

So gamers, and now specifically #GamerGate supporters, are “consumer kings” who worship at the false idol of consumerism; but they’re not to blamed for this, according to leftist website Jacobin, because capitalism is the problem. Peter Frase, the author at Jacobin, says he used to think of himself as a gamer. But now…

“The gamer is threatened by women who share his tastes, and calls them “fake geek girls,”" he writes, no matter that the “fake geek girls” article in question was written by a woman.

Frase believes consumerist-driven game culture (as opposed to its more politically subversive origins) has “cultivated an alternative misogyny, based on resentment of other men and a desire to usurp their patriarchal dominance, rather than overturn patriarchy entirely. Hence the geek culture is a breeding ground for Nice Guys who see themselves as persecuted outcasts but are unable to get over their desire to control women.”

I can’t help but think I’m a target here, even though this doesn’t describe me—a life long gamer, fantasy dork, D&D player. This is not the gamer I’ve grown up with either. This is not the gaming circle I associate with. I’m a nice guy and I’ve always been successful in my love life. In fact, just about all the “nerds” I know are either in serious relationships or married at this point. These vile misogynists with their cute kids and friendly spouses.

And I say spouses because I’ve known plenty of women who play a lot of games—both table-top and video games—and who hold a diverse array of political views and opinions. Maybe not as many as my guy friends, but that’s likely more a matter of luck than not. I’ve been to Comic Con. Women are gamers, too.

Have I also encountered the socially awkward nerd who can’t get a date and maybe has some issues with women? Yes. Of course. And I’ve encountered the stereotypical alpha-male dude-bro, too. I could go back to my days as an athlete and dig up all sorts of anecdotal evidence that all jocks are deeply homophobic and sexist. But it wouldn’t make it true. It would make it a stereotype, just like this gamer stereotype, and trucking in stereotypes is deeply, unabashedly lazy.

Furthermore, Sottek isn’t even being honest. Sottek doesn’t believe that “we are all gamers.” After all, #GamerGate and its supporters are, apparently, no longer wanted, no longer needed, confined to the dustbin of history and good riddance. Leigh Alexander and the bevy of writers who followed in her footsteps made this abundantly clear: Games have evolved (true!) and now include more types of players and games than ever (also true!) so now gamers are irrelevant and need to go away (false!). Somehow, this group of people who has been playing games for all this time are just a nuisance. We should be dragged out of polite society and tossed into the wind.

And yes, I say “we” because I’m a game enthusiast. I know gamers can be jerks. I often set my headset to mute when I play competitive shooters. I wish I could do the same when playing basketball sometimes. I know all kinds of people can be jerks. I’m just really, really sick of hearing that all gamers are awful, that we are sexist and privileged and horrible just because a lot of us played games before it was cool, or watched cheesy science fiction before it was cool, or read fantasy novels before they were cool.

I don’t care that more people like my hobbies—it’s great in many ways, makes my interests more culturally relevant, etc. and allows studios like HBO to produce a Game of Thrones TV show. I don’t care if you’re a casual gamer, a girl gamer, if you like boring walking simulators like Gone Home or violent shooters like Call of Duty. (Sure you should check out my list of games on my Steam Curator page **nudge nudge, wink wink** but I don’t care what you like to play.)

Just don’t come into my hobby and then tell me I’m a horrible person because that stereotype you have about me still exists in your head.
P.S. I want to add, once again, that while I wholeheartedly disagree with the “gamers are over” notion I likewise don’t lump all game journalists into one group or believe they’re all hopelessly corrupt or antagonistic to their readers. There are many hard-working, wonderful, bright gamers out there writing about video games and I think they do great work. I think we can all do better, including myself.

Also...
But I digress. The fact of the matter is, #GamerGate is a diffuse, diverse grassroots movement with lots of different viewpoints. It’s hard to get a grasp on it sometimes, even when you try. There are good and bad sides to it, like any grassroots movement. (I’ve long been a critic of populism, while at the same time doing my best to be a voice for the consumer. I guess I’m just leery of democratic movements in general, but that’s another story for another time.)

I don’t agree with all of #GamerGate’s goals, methods, or accusations, but at its core I see this as the natural outcropping of upset consumers who have long been at odds with the video game media. This was a long time coming, and now here we are. It’s not going away any time soon, either.

Should we be surprised by this? Should we be surprised that gamers, having been scolded as “entitled” and mocked relentlessly for years by people in positions of authority, are now lashing back?

And do you know how you make all of this so much worse? Do you know how you get the worst and loudest voices to rise to the surface? Do you know how you can ensure that the real jerks out there, the tiny few who actually do go out and harass women like Anita Sarkeesian, do you know how to make sure this is the face of #GamerGate rather than actually try to figure out how to make video game journalism better?

You write articles about how awful gamers are and why #GamerGate is just a right-wing hate machine.
You know who else was a diffuse, diverse, grassroots movement that got labeled as a right-wing hate machine...

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2014, 02:00:08 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

:deadpos
Sigh.

The talk page is bound to have some solid material though. Ahem.

benjipwns

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2014, 02:04:31 AM »
http://pastebin.com/rfx1ptfx

not enough :deads in the world

Sigh.

The talk page is bound to have some solid material though. Ahem.
I tried, it's beyond my powers. I have been defeated.

It's also on its 7th archive for length.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/GamerGate
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:09:34 AM by benjipwns »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
Not reading all that
que

Tasty

« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2014, 02:55:26 AM »

#GamerGate: Adam Baldwin and Milo Yiannopoulos

Non-#GamerGate: Adam Sessler and Tim Schafer

Wonder which side is more reasonable.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2014, 03:17:52 AM »
Never heard of that feller what's he...
On 18 July 2012, Yiannopoulos had a public argument on Twitter with Zoe Margolis, author of Girl with a One-Track Mind. He commented: "We write about how tech is changing the world around us. You write about how many cocks you've sucked this week. Back off." and later added: "Is there a difference between writing about sex for money and having sex for money? Not really. What a grubby, humiliating way to make rent."

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2014, 03:38:39 AM »
Yeah, Oscar mentioned this Yiannopulos guy a couple pages ago, he's a raging cunt.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:17:41 AM by Rufus »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2014, 05:27:30 AM »
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/trolls-will-always-win/

Harrassment-related. Worth reading.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
I’ve long been a critic of populism, while at the same time doing my best to be a voice for the consumer. I guess I’m just leery of democratic movements in general, but that’s another story for another time.

:comeon
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Uh, I meant to quote the weird twitter thing. huh.
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #258 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
Uh, I meant to quote the weird twitter thing. huh.
Well, now I’m curious about which twitter thing you’re talking about.

I was mainly wondering if anyone was going to come to Auernheimer’s defense, or claim that Kathy’s situation had nothing to do with #gamergate, but then I remembered that I don’t want to engage GG defenders, and I’d rather just fucking club Auernheimer like a baby seal. Smart people who use their powers for evil should be... I dunno, harmed.

Or maybe they just need a hug.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #259 on: October 11, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
I wonder what an age-range breakdown of gamergate would look like.

benjipwns

« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2014, 12:01:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/EdStern/status/521046546079809536

All great corruption investigations have ALWAYS ignored the money and power, and focused on women. And indie games. That didn't get reviewed

El Diablo Robotico ‏@Wordbeast  6 hours ago
Free indie games, specifically.

Himu

« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2014, 03:27:59 AM »
why are nerds generally terrible people?
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2014, 03:35:28 AM »
Solitary and low-interaction hobbies attract the socially crippled, who then congregate in sometimes toxic internet communities . Those then occasionally spill over into the rest of the internet.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2014, 11:25:05 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
yup I am definitely ready for 4chan and reddit to go away
pcp

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
this seems like a super cool group of people to align yourselves with, excellent life choice etiolate
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »
this seems like a super cool group of people to align yourselves with, excellent life choice etiolate

I mean, it's not like he's known for excellent life choices. GW anyone?
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:51 AM »
Why I Think Giant Bomb Should Denounce #GamerGate?

I guess I never considered myself a member of the silent majority. But I def. have that role when it comes to our site. I'm that person who's been listening to the Jeff (and Ryan) since I was 15. I followed them from Gamespot to The Arrow Pointing Down, to Giant Bomb and back again. I've always been this weird mix of fervid yet quiet supporter.

To be honest, I've only even become a premium member in the last couple years (I blame my struggling Hollywood life). I don't post comments very often and rarely interact on the message boards. But I've always loved and supported Giant Bomb: Whether that's meant buying multiple t-shirts, watching every Quick Look and Breaking Brad, reading everything Patrick puts out, or listening to the podcast over and over again with its every release (yes, I too, still listen to the Ad version even though I'm premium).

I don't know why but Giant Bomb just speaks to me. It's a strange thing to say as a Black Gay man with a penchant for wearing heels. But...it gets me. I was originally introduced to the crew through Ryan. He was my guide through listening to him host The Hot Spot. It drew me in and it kept me coming back. There was something about their authenticity, the ridiculous breath of video game knowledge and how at the same time they never took themselves too seriously that I just connected with. And our community shares that ethos.

I can't think of many video game sites these days that can have pages long discussions about Destiny right beside a Trans member of the community asking for moving advice. Stuff like that reminds me why I always felt Giant Bomb is a special. It's not perfect but it constantly works to be better.

And I've never doubted that fact until...the horrible and vicious harassment that happened in our name earlier this summer. The critique that sprung from Jason and Dan's hiring and the ways in which alot of the gaming establishment has a certain look and perspective was a fair point. It was something I never even second guessed in Giant Bomb's case despite being a double minority myself. We all know how out of control things got and Jeff's letter was a great way to speak to it and give closure.

But that abuse and harassment is still happening and this time it's even worse then before. It seemingly has found endless fuel under the guise of #GamerGate. Let's be clear, GamerGate stopped being about ethics a long ago. It possibly never was. Whether you like it or not it is a hate and harassment campaign against women and other minorities.

These are people, not imaginary beasts, who do not want video games to change, they refuse to hear any sort of criticism and along the way spout homophobic, racist, and women hating garbage at anyone who doesn't agree with them. And while those people use places like 4chan and Reddit as their forts, they also use Gaming Sites. They can't use our site to stoke fires and engineer attacks thanks to Rorie and our fantastic moderators but we are still helping them...by being silent. Silence is a statement. It sounds crazy but not picking a side...is picking a side. And in the case of GamerGate because they are the ones with power and who are being catered to by publishers and corporate companies (See Intel) they can take silence as tacit permission that what they're doing is ok...its not.

This never hit me more then when I found out that the NoPat app I had heard about last year was still alive and well. If you don't know, NoPat is an app extension that censors out Patrick's content. It just recently received a 4 star review. It would have gotten a 5 but apparently Patrick's Alien: Isolation Review snuck through. I couldn't believe that these members of our community thought this was ok. You are allowed to have whatever feelings you want about Patrick, horror, hell even Aliens. But creating something like that even if you're allowed to is wrong.

The kind of mentality that would lead someone to create that is the same mentality that leads to attacking anyone who critiques our site or anyone who has something to say about games in general. In the real world, we treat people with basic decency and just because it's the internet doesn't mean we should exempt ourselves from acting like a human being. When you infringe on someone else's peace of mind, safety and basic right to exist (in real life and virtually), you're no longer one of the good guys.

But that alone wasn't what made me want to write this. It was coming across a sort of post-mortem by Brendon Keogh looking at the weeks that followed the rise of GamerGate and Leigh Alexander's Gamasutra piece, 'Gamers' don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' are over.' From what's become clear to everyone involved, Gamers, the kind that viciously attack anyone who disagrees with them, harasses women and can't stand any talk of diversity or criticism in video games is most certainly not over. In the appropriately titled, Gamers are undead, Brendon talks about how, as opposed to mainstream sites, many of the "core games journalism" outlets have been silent for fear of angering and alienating what has become part of their status qou. They are afraid to go beyond making a conciliatory argument for both sides instead of stating unequivocally how harmful and exclusive GamerGate is and urging people to distance themselves.

At least that was true until yesterday when Kotaku's Editor-In-Chief, Stephen Totilo, detailed the death threats and doxxing attacks on games developer, Brianna Wu, in his story entitled Another Woman In Gaming Flees Home Following Death Threats. Stephen writes how with this latest attack by #GamerGate shows that it no longer stands for investigating games/games media ethics but has become a banner and a platform for women to be targeted and attacked. But what makes this story noteworthy is that he goes on to state that Kotaku as an outlet condemns the moniker and rejects what it represent.

I think Giant Bomb should follow their example. I want Giant Bomb to continue to grow, become bigger and continuing changing the way we talk about video games. That means being inclusive not exclusive. It's a legacy that brought me to the site so many years ago. One great way for us to continue that legacy is by denouncing a movement that clearly doesn't want the industry, let alone our site do that.

Giant Bomb should make a statement whether in a staff editorial or a feature talking about AND denouncing GamerGate and its continued attacks on women in the video game industry. They should go on to state their support for the same kind of diversity that GamerGate seeks to stifle.

Now, I know what some people are going to say...well Patrick already has. I love me some Patrick. Patrick is my everything but Patrick Klepek is only 1 of the 6 editors that make Giant Bomb great. I think it's unfair for him to have the sole role of being that voice. More importantly, he cannot and should not speak for the entire site. And while, I know both Alex and Brad have stated their opinions and Jeff as well in his awesome speech at PAX...there's still something to be said about Giant Bomb as an outlet we do not support this.

Finally, here's the part where you say that you don't care about that kind of stuff or better yet you don't think it's Giant Bomb's place. To the former, I would say...that's cool. Move on to the next article or video. But I know for me, I would care. I would care immensely and I think it would mean the world to alot of other people especially women who visit or could visit our site. It would also mean something to the people who are being harassed right now. Men and women who are thinking of not even going into video games because they feel like they won't belong or will be attacked for trying to make the industry more inclusive. It's a sign of solidarity that video games and people who love them can be so much more.

To the last point of whether or not you think it's Giant Bomb's place that depends on why you come to this site. Personally, if I just want game releases, news, and development updates, I can go to a 100 other sites. I come to Giant Bomb not just because of the editors and our awesome community but because it breaks the mold, dances to a beat of its own path and is a leader in not just the press but in the way the industry thinks and talks about games. Now is the time for some of that leadership.

benjipwns

« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2014, 06:01:28 AM »
guys i can't believe you are still running this stupid shit, why you can't be like this fella here?

you are more stupid than a polygon writer, let that sink in for a moment...
<----

etiolate

« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »

I'm more ashamed of thinking some of you were intelligent, decent people when I knew you were disturbed, desperate men.

sarslip

« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:13 AM »
Why I Think Giant Bomb Should Denounce #GamerGate?

I guess I never considered myself a member of the silent majority. But I def. have that role when it comes to our site. I'm that person who's been listening to the Jeff (and Ryan) since I was 15. I followed them from Gamespot to The Arrow Pointing Down, to Giant Bomb and back again. I've always been this weird mix of fervid yet quiet supporter.

To be honest, I've only even become a premium member in the last couple years (I blame my struggling Hollywood life). I don't post comments very often and rarely interact on the message boards. But I've always loved and supported Giant Bomb: Whether that's meant buying multiple t-shirts, watching every Quick Look and Breaking Brad, reading everything Patrick puts out, or listening to the podcast over and over again with its every release (yes, I too, still listen to the Ad version even though I'm premium).

I don't know why but Giant Bomb just speaks to me. It's a strange thing to say as a Black Gay man with a penchant for wearing heels. But...it gets me. I was originally introduced to the crew through Ryan. He was my guide through listening to him host The Hot Spot. It drew me in and it kept me coming back. There was something about their authenticity, the ridiculous breath of video game knowledge and how at the same time they never took themselves too seriously that I just connected with. And our community shares that ethos.

I can't think of many video game sites these days that can have pages long discussions about Destiny right beside a Trans member of the community asking for moving advice. Stuff like that reminds me why I always felt Giant Bomb is a special. It's not perfect but it constantly works to be better.

And I've never doubted that fact until...the horrible and vicious harassment that happened in our name earlier this summer. The critique that sprung from Jason and Dan's hiring and the ways in which alot of the gaming establishment has a certain look and perspective was a fair point. It was something I never even second guessed in Giant Bomb's case despite being a double minority myself. We all know how out of control things got and Jeff's letter was a great way to speak to it and give closure.

But that abuse and harassment is still happening and this time it's even worse then before. It seemingly has found endless fuel under the guise of #GamerGate. Let's be clear, GamerGate stopped being about ethics a long ago. It possibly never was. Whether you like it or not it is a hate and harassment campaign against women and other minorities.

These are people, not imaginary beasts, who do not want video games to change, they refuse to hear any sort of criticism and along the way spout homophobic, racist, and women hating garbage at anyone who doesn't agree with them. And while those people use places like 4chan and Reddit as their forts, they also use Gaming Sites. They can't use our site to stoke fires and engineer attacks thanks to Rorie and our fantastic moderators but we are still helping them...by being silent. Silence is a statement. It sounds crazy but not picking a side...is picking a side. And in the case of GamerGate because they are the ones with power and who are being catered to by publishers and corporate companies (See Intel) they can take silence as tacit permission that what they're doing is ok...its not.

This never hit me more then when I found out that the NoPat app I had heard about last year was still alive and well. If you don't know, NoPat is an app extension that censors out Patrick's content. It just recently received a 4 star review. It would have gotten a 5 but apparently Patrick's Alien: Isolation Review snuck through. I couldn't believe that these members of our community thought this was ok. You are allowed to have whatever feelings you want about Patrick, horror, hell even Aliens. But creating something like that even if you're allowed to is wrong.

The kind of mentality that would lead someone to create that is the same mentality that leads to attacking anyone who critiques our site or anyone who has something to say about games in general. In the real world, we treat people with basic decency and just because it's the internet doesn't mean we should exempt ourselves from acting like a human being. When you infringe on someone else's peace of mind, safety and basic right to exist (in real life and virtually), you're no longer one of the good guys.

But that alone wasn't what made me want to write this. It was coming across a sort of post-mortem by Brendon Keogh looking at the weeks that followed the rise of GamerGate and Leigh Alexander's Gamasutra piece, 'Gamers' don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' are over.' From what's become clear to everyone involved, Gamers, the kind that viciously attack anyone who disagrees with them, harasses women and can't stand any talk of diversity or criticism in video games is most certainly not over. In the appropriately titled, Gamers are undead, Brendon talks about how, as opposed to mainstream sites, many of the "core games journalism" outlets have been silent for fear of angering and alienating what has become part of their status qou. They are afraid to go beyond making a conciliatory argument for both sides instead of stating unequivocally how harmful and exclusive GamerGate is and urging people to distance themselves.

At least that was true until yesterday when Kotaku's Editor-In-Chief, Stephen Totilo, detailed the death threats and doxxing attacks on games developer, Brianna Wu, in his story entitled Another Woman In Gaming Flees Home Following Death Threats. Stephen writes how with this latest attack by #GamerGate shows that it no longer stands for investigating games/games media ethics but has become a banner and a platform for women to be targeted and attacked. But what makes this story noteworthy is that he goes on to state that Kotaku as an outlet condemns the moniker and rejects what it represent.

I think Giant Bomb should follow their example. I want Giant Bomb to continue to grow, become bigger and continuing changing the way we talk about video games. That means being inclusive not exclusive. It's a legacy that brought me to the site so many years ago. One great way for us to continue that legacy is by denouncing a movement that clearly doesn't want the industry, let alone our site do that.

Giant Bomb should make a statement whether in a staff editorial or a feature talking about AND denouncing GamerGate and its continued attacks on women in the video game industry. They should go on to state their support for the same kind of diversity that GamerGate seeks to stifle.

Now, I know what some people are going to say...well Patrick already has. I love me some Patrick. Patrick is my everything but Patrick Klepek is only 1 of the 6 editors that make Giant Bomb great. I think it's unfair for him to have the sole role of being that voice. More importantly, he cannot and should not speak for the entire site. And while, I know both Alex and Brad have stated their opinions and Jeff as well in his awesome speech at PAX...there's still something to be said about Giant Bomb as an outlet we do not support this.

Finally, here's the part where you say that you don't care about that kind of stuff or better yet you don't think it's Giant Bomb's place. To the former, I would say...that's cool. Move on to the next article or video. But I know for me, I would care. I would care immensely and I think it would mean the world to alot of other people especially women who visit or could visit our site. It would also mean something to the people who are being harassed right now. Men and women who are thinking of not even going into video games because they feel like they won't belong or will be attacked for trying to make the industry more inclusive. It's a sign of solidarity that video games and people who love them can be so much more.

To the last point of whether or not you think it's Giant Bomb's place that depends on why you come to this site. Personally, if I just want game releases, news, and development updates, I can go to a 100 other sites. I come to Giant Bomb not just because of the editors and our awesome community but because it breaks the mold, dances to a beat of its own path and is a leader in not just the press but in the way the industry thinks and talks about games. Now is the time for some of that leadership.

the poor writing and grammar errors kinda kills it.  also he repeat listens to 3.5 hour podcasts.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »
fat

sarslip

« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8z5fcWQrA&t=8

I stand with this guy. Yum

"I was asked about this via PSN and....other forms of media." 

Read: none other forms of media.

« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »

I'm more ashamed of thinking some of you were intelligent, decent people when I knew you were disturbed, desperate men.

I don't even know what that means. Do you?
野球

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »
But how can Gamergate stand without the backing of the mighty Giantbomb?!!! Oh noes!!

Honestly I'm amazed that this is still even going on. Ferguson should be so lucky to have this much discussion.
que

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »

what Drinky and I do in the privacy of our own home has nothing to do with this
乱学者

etiolate

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Yes, and I feel your question reflects a common theme behind why I said it.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
I can't really think of a friend of mine who is less disturbed and desperate than Treesong, and I mean that honestly.
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

Yes, and I feel your question reflects a common theme behind why I said it.

We're not the ones falling for BS MRA arguments, fuckbreath
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
乱学者

Tasty

« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/13/gamergate-right-wing-no-neutral-stance?CMP=twt_gu

We can acknowledge that not everyone on the bandwagon is a men’s rights activist. But what Gamergaters have in common with MRAs is a desperately selfish desire to sideline the problem of both passive and aggressive sexism in the gaming industry, for which they and we have to accept a measure of responsibility; they want to have a debate where they get to play maligned heroes and innocent victims.

That’s the real reason why they want to spin this as an apolitical consumer movement, rather than a swelling of vicious right-wing sentiment. And there is no neutral stance to take on that – we are either with them or against them.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
ETOILET PLZ EXPLAIN WITHOUT USING distinguished mentally-challenged BUNNY AVATARS
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
Holy shit, these dick weeds drove a woman from her home?

:snoop

"a" woman

:goty2
乱学者

Tasty

« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
* female

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »
Holy shit, these dick weeds drove a woman from her home?

:snoop

oh god where do i begin...

1) jezebel is part from gawker media, which is the same company that owns kotaku, so this is basicaly kotaku talking about a kotaku boycott
2) the woman in question apparently decried being doxxed 6 minutes before being doxxed

of course, it could be fake, i don't want to enter this dispute because it's distinguished mentally-challenged and it's just about 2 groups of people with too much time on their hands slinging shit at each other over a bunch of awfull gaming sites

3) oh also weirdly enough she tried starting shit on twitter

why would you try to start shit with a supposedly "hate group" other than you are fucking stupid is beyond me

considering all this fact, i don't believe this shit and i have no idea why the fuck you guys believe it either

there are people that have said to be abused from the other side too, why don't you guys talk about them for once?

http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam/1

i mean there is no reason to believe them either because after all it's 2 groups flinging shit at each other but it's weird how you guys only care about what one side says
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:32:34 PM by magus »
<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
Yeah magoose, cause no one could have called her or messaged her or whatever before that dude tweeted.

Seriously, you need to rethink everything you've ever thought concerning this. You're putting yourself on the side of the dregs of humanity.
yar

Steve Contra

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
Jay Wilson got multiple death threats over Diablo 3 when it came out, but Magoose is doubting this.
vin

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
The timestamps don't lie, Triumph!  The timestamps never lie!

:picard

ehy, i'm not saying that "IT MUST BE TRUE!" but twitter breakdown for the sake of smearing is an easier and more acceptable explanation than angry neckbeards armed with pitchforks against womens... i mean before this, this person was a random nobody, now i know her name

Jay Wilson got multiple death threats over Diablo 3 when it came out, but Magoose is doubting this.

so now i'm supposed to believe that every time someone get a death threat over video games it must be true?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:57:18 PM by magus »
<----

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »

ehy, i'm not saying that "IT MUST BE TRUE!" but twitter breakdown for the sake of smearing is an easier and more acceptable explanation than angry neckbeards armed with pitchforks against womens... i mean before this, this person was a random nobody, now i know her name

Ya, and her address. Congrats.
©@©™

« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
Bruh

Her address was posted in 8chan's /gg/ section. Technomancer confirmed it in the thread. That's where the twitter dude pulled the info from.

:beli

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
she was reading the /8chan/ thread where they were doxxing her because if an angry Internet mob is threatening you and your family it's good to have as much advance warning as possible

she saw the doxx happen & her info get posted to the thread, then someone threatened her on Twitter

is this really that hard to understand
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:25:36 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »

"Occam's Razor suggests she hacked her own account and pretended to doxx herself in order to increase the sales of her next video game, follow the money"
乱学者

Tasty

« Reply #294 on: October 13, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/seemingly-mentally-ill-internet-commenter-presumab,33570/

WASHINGTON—Though his incoherent, deeply uninformed, and often abusive internet comments seem to suggest he suffers from severe mental illness, web user magus is in all likelihood a normal individual capable of functioning in the outside world, sources reported Wednesday.

Noting that he must at least own a computer, know how to use it, and possess the basic skills required to publish his thoughts on numerous websites and forums, internet users said magus—the username of a person who posts dozens of inane and delusional comments online every day—is presumably a stable member of society.

“Clearly this guy has a working internet connection, so he must have some way of paying the bills, which I guess means he’s holding down a job,” said John Winegar, 34, reading YouTube comments from magus that reportedly contained threats, profanity, and extremely forced sexual innuendos that make no sense to anyone. “If he lived with his parents or in some kind of mental health facility, surely someone would stop him from going online and making so many inexplicable and racially charged statements.”

“I can only assume this is an ordinary, sane individual who has a home, goes shopping, cooks dinner, and pays taxes like anyone else,” he added.

Suggestions that magus could simply be a crazed vagrant using the internet at a public library have largely been dismissed, with Twitter users noting that his needlessly vulgar and aggressive tweets personally attacking “fat fuck” celebrities and other people he has never met often occur as late as 2 a.m.

Sources have also confirmed that magus, whose comments on a recent Slate story headlined “The Hard Truth About Obesity” included “Obesity makes ME hard lol” and “Fuk Obama, take your camels back 2 Africa,” must at least possess the mental faculties necessary to have registered with the news website and have kept track of his username and password for each subsequent login.

Further evidence indicates the seemingly psychotic man probably lives in a house with four walls, a roof, and working utilities, drives a car on the same streets everyone else drives on, and is capable of routinely engaging in measured, straightforward face-to-face conversations with coworkers.

Online hints to his place of residence—found in his criticism of a local Thai restaurant whose food was delivered by a “lazy p.o.s. AZN that needs to learn English” and an Instagram photo of a neighborhood dog he described as “herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp”—suggest magus apparently lives on a residential street like any other in America and is not currently institutionalized.

As a result, sources added, the man who has claimed on numerous occasions to be the “only 1 who makes any fucking sense, fuck u if ur 2 stupid to take it” presumably interacts freely with dozens of citizens per day without any monitoring whatsoever.

“The scariest thing is knowing that magus isn’t the only one out there,” an anonymous internet user told reporters in an email statement. “There r so many crazy fucking nutsoz in this world that it makes me want to shoot everyone. Those feggits can go die.”

“Fucking feggits,” he added.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #295 on: October 13, 2014, 03:31:08 PM »
Resort to conspiracy theory when you're faced with the facts that your hobby is occasionally exclusionary and offputting to several groups people, and the people against changing that are a bunch of regressive, potentially violent psychopaths brehs.

(Image removed from quote.)

eh, what can i say, my level of misanthropy isn't high enough to believe this stuff is real :lol

Somehow I doubt magoose would eat thai food. It's not made by white people, for one. Magoose seems like a chicken tenders and honey mustard type to me.

i love rice but i don't like spicy food
<----

Tasty

« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
I hate rice AND spicey food. :ohhh

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

Steve Contra

« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
I hate rice AND spicey food. :ohhh
Somehow you've managed to make this topic worse :goty2
vin

Himu

« Reply #299 on: October 13, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Oh my GOD. This stuff in the past page is SCARY.
IYKYK