Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 774346 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
I think you're being far too dramatic and putting a lot of weight on hobbies for no reason but congrats I guess?
nat

Himu

« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
how am I being dramatic?
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
himu let me curate your game collection til you decide to come back to the fold
pcp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
how am I being dramatic?

abandoning entire hobbies because you aren't enjoying them as much as you used to? seems pretty dramatic.
nat

Himu

« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »
That makes no sense. Not liking it is the best reason for abandoning a hobby. After all, that's what they are: hobbies, things you put money and effort and time into. If you are not enjoying yourself or you find them a waste of time and resources, there's no point in continuing to pursue them.

For anime, I genuinely do not enjoy anime aside from older stuff and occasional new release now. I have spent a lot of time and years with this hobby in particular. I am highly knowledgeable about it and I know that from the current trajectory, continuing to try to pursue it is fruitless. I didn't say I'm going to like, throw out every anime dvd or blu ray out right now or whatever, I just know that as a hobby and something you put time into seeking, I'm kinda over it. Like how an old seasoned comic vet may still read the funny page but take issue with going to a comic store and picking up the latest Batman or whatever.

The same is true for games. Play a game when you're bored, play a game after work to cool down, spend the entire evening playing games. Whatever, I know how it works and there's nothing wrong with it, but ultimately, I could be doing something more important or something that will better myself and help me reach my goals. Those hours stack up. The game that made me realize this was probably Samurai Warriors 4. Such mediocrity, yet I kept on playing. 30 hours clocked and I don't even like it much, and I'm barely having fun, because...I don't know the reason. 30 hours wasted that could have been spent drawing, and trying to reach my career goals. 30 hours wasted I could have spent re-learning guitar. 30 hours I could have spent bettering relationships. 30 hours wasted I could have spent on any thing else. I mostly play or played games for escapism, especially gender escapism. I tend to play games where you're engulfed by a game world and there's lore and characters and sometimes an involving storyline and I can play as a girl.

But these days, I don't have a need for an escape, for obvious reasons. Real life sounds and looks so much sweeter than the virtual version. When I play games, I don't feel like I'm bettering myself or on the road to bettering myself. It's just something to pass the time, and right now, I don't have the time nor the luxury to waste time, especially since I'm moving to such a competitive place. It doesn't help that overall I don't enjoy games much anymore at all aside from mobile games. The games I liked are dead, and let's be honest, do you really see anything you haven't seen before from games in the near future? I don't!

Is this forever? Who knows. Who even cares. But for the time being, it seems important to grow as a person, learn new things, and become stronger because of it and I sure as fuck don't have the time to continue fucking around with things I don't even enjoy anymore just because I liked them in the past out of some odd sense of duty. I'm certainly not doing this because I'm "grown up" and that's what grown ups do. There's nothing wrong with enjoying anime or games. But I think it's important, if one is a goal-minded person, to consider WHY they do the things they do rather than just continue to do follow the same steps of yesterday.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2014, 12:18:40 AM »
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2014, 12:23:28 AM »
Just watched the original Total Recall on Netflix.  :lawd

vin

nudemacusers

« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
I no longer have the time to play story-driven RPGs like The Legend Of Zelda

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
Nevermind the fact that you're writing a novel over this kinda also supports my whole "you're being pretty dramatic", your argument seems to come down to "i could be doing more important things" which is a poor argument because that could be applied to almost any activity or hobby. there's always something more meaningful. it's a pointless endeavor.

and that goes to the other thing i was saying. you're putting a lot of weight on simple hobbies.

there's a difference between not partaking in a hobby for awhile because you lose interest, but to make the proclamation you're abandoning it all together is silly and makes no sense to me and sounds overly dramatic.

do what you feel, because in the end it's not really a big deal. i just think you'd be better off not putting so much behind it :yeshrug
nat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »
You can find better storytelling in a masterpiece like Bioshock Infinite than you will in the thousands of insipid airport novels released every year, and more beauty in most Nintendo titles than in half the galleries in Basel.
I have a feeling those insipid airport novels can probably keep track of their own plot though.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »
Nevermind the fact that you're writing a novel over this kinda also supports my whole "you're being pretty dramatic", your argument seems to come down to "i could be doing more important things" which is a poor argument because that could be applied to almost any activity or hobby. there's always something more meaningful. it's a pointless endeavor.

and that goes to the other thing i was saying. you're putting a lot of weight on simple hobbies.

there's a difference between not partaking in a hobby for awhile because you lose interest, but to make the proclamation you're abandoning it all together is silly and makes no sense to me and sounds overly dramatic.

do what you feel, because in the end it's not really a big deal. i just think you'd be better off not putting so much behind it :yeshrug

She doesn't want to play video games or watch anime anymore. It's her life, why are you so against a decision that will potentially improve her life?
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »
some grade A trolling on this page from multiple people.
:leon

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
I wasn't necessary trying to tell her not to do it. I'm more advising her against putting a giant weight on mostly petty issues. That's the perception I get from it.
nat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
some grade A trolling on this page from multiple people.
:leon

"Trolling"  :smug

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
Personally I wouldn't quit any of my current hobbies completely. I can understand moving away from them but at the same time Himu...I'd bet money that a game will come out in the next few months or a year that you'll really want to play. Nothing wrong with that.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:30 PM »
nvm
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:31:08 PM by Atramental »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
I learned that a cypher is a rap term and not another name for a smoke session with your budz. It's not all my fault. I blame Half Baked for this misrepresentation.
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #257 on: November 11, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
Sitting here by myself smoking a cigar on the back porch. Kids are all out at friends and wife is still working.

That simple life brehs
YMMV

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #258 on: November 11, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
Until you are attacked by a swarm of low hanging pipes on your very own back porch

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
BBP
:noah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
Making chili :aah

I make gawd like chili :aah

I need to try that. What type of meat (if any) do you use?

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Himu

« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
Even I clicked that shit.
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
Even I clicked that shit.

Hell I sent that shit to my wife and she ain't even mad. I mean my wife got a nice ass, but it ain't dat ass.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #265 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
I'm...really jealous of Kim now. I hope it is photoshopped and filled with plastic. :maf
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
I'm...really jealous of Kim now. I hope it is photoshopped and filled with plastic. :maf

There has definitely been some modifications, rest easy girl

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still though, goddamn,  :mouf
[close]
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #267 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/11/kim-kardashian-ass-butt-naked-paper-magazine/

:nsfanyone

(NSFW alert)

:whew
Protip :nsfanyone is reserved for disgusting Arvie posts.  If we start watering it down we lose it.
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #268 on: November 12, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
There are no disgusting Arvie posts, pleb. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #269 on: November 12, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Got the apartment I wanted.  Also they are giving me a months free rent, which I wasn't expecting.  I still feel a bit scammed that they asked me to bid on the place but with the free rent I end up even for the first year and a half anyways.

Steve Contra

« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
That's the type of shit they do when they want to kick everyone out here and convert to condos.
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
There are no disgusting Arvie posts, pleb.
You're right, they could have just said "Arvie post" -- no need to be redundant.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
A client screwed my company out of a chance to bid on their big project while we  bent over backwards to help them on this small onesie-twosie project I'm working on and my CEO essentially called their CIO bitched at him for ruining our relationship and said "I'm pulling my team out of your projects at the end of the week. Keep your stinking money."

I gotta admit. That guy has balls.
que

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #273 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »
Had dinner with my parents: Taco Bell.  :smug

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2014, 08:41:54 AM »
Had a baconator for the first time ever.  Pretty decent. A bit dry though.

The dryness kind of ruins it for me. Seems like some type of sauce would really bring it to life. The other issue is...that's a lot of meat. I've really moved away from burgers at fast food places lately. I found a nice local burger joint recently (Got Burger) that's pretty dope, real nice people run it. Only bad thing is that their fries are soggy. A big bummer because they have some sweet potato fries that taste pretty good, but it's frustrating knowing they'd be so much better if they were firm.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »

Only one more year to watch him play in High School, kids grow up so fast man.

:tocry

My youngster is a baller on the court though

:rejoice
YMMV

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
I am making good coffee, regularly.

My wife brought my AeroPress, so I've been having that every morning while I help my Mom deal with post-funeral stuff.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
still tricking myself with daylight savings time
:lawd

got home, started preparing some marinated chicken (gonna make tacos), looked at the clock on the oven: 9something. So I was like bah, I'll start cooking at 10PM then...shit that's kind of late. Few minutes later jumped on my computer and realized it's not 9something, it's 8something

saving hours, one hour at a time
:whew

« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »
My toilet's flushing mechanism is the real MVP.

Never thought it had what it takes to handle this.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
My old company is hiring me back into a more senior position (2 steps up of where I was) with a 35% raise

« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
My wife came home from Boston last night. She'd been gone a week. I can't imagine being a single parent, it's manageable but tough when she's gone. Very happy she's home.

She also brought me beer from Boston. :rock

My wife brought my AeroPress, so I've been having that every morning while I help my Mom deal with post-funeral stuff.

What roaster are getting beans from? So many good options out here, just curious.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »

What roaster are getting beans from? So many good options out here, just curious.

Ack. Just standard Starbucks Ethiopian.

I should find something better here. I hadn't even thought about it.

Glad to hear Mrs. Gundam got home safely.

« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »

Ack. Just standard Starbucks Ethiopian.

I should find something better here. I hadn't even thought about it.

Glad to hear Mrs. Gundam got home safely.

Sounds like Flying M is popular in Boise. The Crux carries Stumptown.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
Sounds like Flying M is popular in Boise. The Crux carries Stumptown.
I think it was Stumptown you brought to Japan, and it was really flavorful. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for both of those.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Himuro, I cut down my internet usage to about one hour per day (exception being for work or school related usage and the occasional day where there isn't shit else to do) about eight months ago and it's amazing how much shit I'm able to get done now in all facets of life.

How?

I just made a personal rule to keep non-work and school internet time down to an hour a day.  I found I was spending about 30-40 hours a week just fucking around.  I started using my free time to do more productive things instead.  It worked out great.  Also it's not a hard and fast rule.  Some days I don't spend any time online and some days it might be two hours or something.  As long as it averages out to be about an hour a day, I'm fine.
🍆🍆

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Domesticated ass niccas :goty
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
Getting out the bed, taking a massive dump, and getting back in the bed. At 11:30AM. Sundays.

Steve Contra

« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
At work in a cold warehouse at 8am on a Sunday brehs.

Wait wrong thread.  :brazilcry
vin

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »

I went to see Perfume in NYC last night. It was probably the best 2 hours of my life. First, the setlist:

Enter the Sphere
Spring of Life (Album-mix)
Cling Cling
One Room Disco

-MC- (bagel & cupcake)
Nee
Seventh Heaven
Hold Your Hand
Spending all my time (DV&LM mix interlude into the single version)
GAME
Dream Fighter

-PTA Corner-
Party Maker (Gurun Edit)
GLITTER (unfortunately it didn't have the laser danmaku from their Gurun tour)
Chocolate Disco (2012 mix)
Polyrhythm

-encore-
FAKE IT
MY COLOR

If they would have done Electro World instead of Cling Cling, this set would have been nearly perfect.  :(
[close]

This was the first time I'd ever been to a concert, and my body was not ready for how loud and powerful the music would be. I could feel it in my bones, especially during their heaviest songs (GAME, Party Maker, FAKE IT, etc.). It was amazing, of course. I wound up with a pretty good spot on the floor because I stood outside in the bitter fucking cold for 4+ hours (god knows how the people who lined up in the morning survived). I'd say I was around 20-25 feet from the stage, and I'm fairly tall, so I always had a good view unless some hands & cameras got in the way. Nothing worth complaining about, especially since the show itself was flawless.

Honestly, I love Perfume more than any of my other interests, so being able to see them perform live is a dream come true for me. Hopefully this won't be the last time. :D
BiSH

G The Resurrected

« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
You lucky dog iconoclast. If I knew you were going I would have asked you to get some merch for the misses.

triumph for me is taking a crap today, it's been 3 days since I was hospitalized and haven't gone. Morphine is a bitch!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2014, 02:22:18 AM »
Helping my mom around the house as she deals with the fallout and paperwork from her husband's death. Today I spent the entire day cleaning up one room in the house. I was not as happy as I had hoped with my own progress, but my mom seems to have thought I have wrought a miracle.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #291 on: November 17, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »
First concert: Perfume??

:goty
YMMV

Cheddahz

« Reply #292 on: November 17, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
Ended up having to walk to school this morning with all of my drawing stuff  :goty2

Got a ride home from two chicks in my class who are actually cool  :rejoice

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #293 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »
@G The Resurrected - I didn't even bother getting any merch for myself. I didn't want to stand in another long ass line just for some t-shirts when I could just order them online from asmart: http://www.asmart.jp/Form/Product/ProductList.aspx?shop=0&cat=100106

First concert: Perfume??

:goty

Yep. And it will all be downhill from here. :(
BiSH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #294 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I went to see Perfume in NYC last night. It was probably the best 2 hours of my life. First, the setlist:

Enter the Sphere
Spring of Life (Album-mix)
Cling Cling
One Room Disco

-MC- (bagel & cupcake)
Nee
Seventh Heaven
Hold Your Hand
Spending all my time (DV&LM mix interlude into the single version)
GAME
Dream Fighter

-PTA Corner-
Party Maker (Gurun Edit)
GLITTER (unfortunately it didn't have the laser danmaku from their Gurun tour)
Chocolate Disco (2012 mix)
Polyrhythm

-encore-
FAKE IT
MY COLOR

If they would have done Electro World instead of Cling Cling, this set would have been nearly perfect.  :(
[close]

This was the first time I'd ever been to a concert, and my body was not ready for how loud and powerful the music would be. I could feel it in my bones, especially during their heaviest songs (GAME, Party Maker, FAKE IT, etc.). It was amazing, of course. I wound up with a pretty good spot on the floor because I stood outside in the bitter fucking cold for 4+ hours (god knows how the people who lined up in the morning survived). I'd say I was around 20-25 feet from the stage, and I'm fairly tall, so I always had a good view unless some hands & cameras got in the way. Nothing worth complaining about, especially since the show itself was flawless.

Honestly, I love Perfume more than any of my other interests, so being able to see them perform live is a dream come true for me. Hopefully this won't be the last time. :D

What was the crowd at the show like?
^_^

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #295 on: November 18, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

duc

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »
How many new 2 wheeled purchases does that make for you this year, Van Cruncheon? Mrs. Crunheon is shopping for divorce lawyers!

:sabu
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
insurance paid for that one! (i got it awhile back. i just can't read the thread title and not think of bikes.)
duc

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #299 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
...so you wrecked your truck to buy a bike?

:hitler
yar