Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556759 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #3300 on: June 28, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
I just realized that TLJ redpilled Cindi.

agrajag

« Reply #3301 on: June 28, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
I feel that any director that tackles a Star Wars film is in a lose/lose situation when it comes to pleasing people. A segment of the fanbase will be pissed off no matter which direction they go in. Try to please fans by doing a bunch of fanservice? People will complain that it's not taking enough risk, it's stale, etc. Make it ultra woke and progressive, and you piss off the incels/MRA's who seem to be very loud portion of the fanbase. Try to please the incels and skirt any kind of social progress that's occured in the last  40 years since the first movie was released, you piss off millenials.

Besides all that, it is a franchise that's been put on an impossible pedestal (even though the original movies are basically an amalgamation of fairy tales re-interpreted with visually stylish retro-sci-fi sensibilities) and Joe Bloe has his own idea of what the next should be.

There's no winning.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3302 on: June 28, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
TLJ wasn't great but I truly don't get the backlash against the Luke Skywalker arc.

#Not my Skywalker

manbabies building up unmatchable and unrealistic expectations.

The worst part of this fucking franchise (right now at least) is if you're even mildly negative on a movie, you're on the same "side" as the garbo alt-right bitches and the jamokes that are ponying up their own cash to remake a movie they don't own the rights to.

Like, sometimes it's OK for some people to not like a movie that much.

I don't know. Not that difficult for me. As long as some one broaches their discussion in normal person tones and isn't dipping into ruined my childhood tropes, Social Justice Warriors are ruining Star Wars argumentation, or overly analytical Star War is the deepest piece of pop culture ever, I think its pretty easy to distinguish. I was mixed on TLJ but I don't have any fear that anyone would ever mistake me for being part of that knuckle-dragging crowd. I think the people who tend to agenda post on stuff like Star Wars are as obvious as the Assimilate's of the world.

At the risk of sounding like some triggered manchild shitlord, I think my least favorite thing about the movie and the trilogy so far is probably Rey.

For me she's been fine. She was really good in the first one. Like nearly every character I found her less good in the 2nd one but I honestly think that was mainly a plotting issue.  Same as with Finn who was the best part of the first movie to me and then absolutely destroyed in the 2nd movie. I'm hoping since JJ is back for the 3rd, the characters all become more fun and evolved and assume their final form.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:29:35 PM by Stoney Mason »

Tasty

« Reply #3303 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:18 PM »
I liked her more in 2 because she had shades of being more than just an overpowered Luke expy.

Like Wrath there's a lot of individual parts I like in TLJ, but the whole is just... yick.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3304 on: June 29, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »
At the risk of sounding like some triggered manchild shitlord, I think my least favorite thing about the movie and the trilogy so far is probably Rey.

I liked her in TFA, think Daisy Ridley is ok in the role, and actually like that she isn't some long lost Kenobi/Skywalker. But I seriously wonder why in the hell she's the protagonist? (in before diversity bitching, as that's not my problem). Like she's super powerful just because, her primary motivation was finding her parents which amounted to nothing, and she's basically a designated protagonist. Any time I think of the ST I find myself liking the idea of Finn being the protagonist and Jedi a lot more. An escaped storm trooper who is kind of a coward finding courage to overthrow his oppressors is not only more compelling but fits nicely as contrast to Kylo's own turn to the dark side and betraying his family. Not sure what Rey's deal is, as you can also argue that Luke was the real protagonist of The Last Jedi and Rey was just there to be used by Luke and Kylo to fuck with each other (How come I haven't seen scorching hot takes from bloggers about this?).

Rey reminds me a lot of Lightning from FFXIII. She's really powerful and the protagonist but I struggle to think of defining traits of hers that aren't just strange call backs to more famous characters earlier in the series. Lightning is basically the version of Cloud SE thinks people like for example, and most people would describe her as girl Cloud. While Rey's defining features so far is that she's the lead, she's a Jedi, she's powerful, and she flies the Millennium Falcon. Nothing about her character. Hell you can argue that the one thing she had that could count as an arc, her parents, was solved in TLJ. What's the point of her going forward?

Now end me for this long post talking about star wars that even weaves in some Final Fantasy :-\

Mods this account has been hacked by Creepy Stalker

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3305 on: June 29, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »
I feel that any director that tackles a Star Wars film is in a lose/lose situation when it comes to pleasing people.

This is pretty much everything in life.

You could literally be saving lifes by providing healthcare to people, and 50% of people in America would say thats not ok.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3306 on: June 29, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
I feel that any director that tackles a Star Wars film is in a lose/lose situation when it comes to pleasing people.

This is pretty much everything in life.

You could literally be saving lifes by providing healthcare to people, and 50% of people in America would say thats not ok.
lol wut

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3307 on: June 29, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
lol wut
That's literally what happened with the Medicaid expansion.

benjipwns

« Reply #3308 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
literally :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3309 on: June 29, 2018, 09:35:09 AM »
Whatever benji

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3310 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #3311 on: June 29, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
the New Republic (not the magazine) was destroyed when they fired the Starkiller Base at its capitol, Mandark ::)

agrajag

« Reply #3312 on: July 01, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »
what does this have to do with Star Wars though? Did the Trade Federation stonewall Spacecare reform?  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3313 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
Does Galactic Healthcare exist in the Star Wars universe?

It must, there's no way a moisture farmer from Tatooine could afford a plan that would cover weeks in a bacta tank and an artificial arm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:17:19 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3314 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
PalpaCare  :lawd

That's only accepted at the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center though.

benjipwns

« Reply #3315 on: July 02, 2018, 05:12:44 AM »
Does Galactic Healthcare exist in the Star Wars universe?

It must, there's no way a moisture farmer from Tatooine could afford a plan that would cover weeks in a bacta tank and an artificial arm.
Come on, you think Luke was paying for that? And not the princess funding a galactic rebellion taking care of him? Plus who knows what Obi-Wan left him, and then Yoda, they probably made calls all the time "you wish to sell your stocks at [this price]" then bet on the other side of the sale. Look at how those dopes were hanging out in palaces and running things in the prequels.

The Empire's GOVERNMENT HEALTHCARE solution seemed to be "ignore it, we got more clones" and then "oh, you burned up in lava, here's agonizing pain forever intentionally with a massively heavy suit" the latter being exactly like the systems used in Canada and the UK.

Meanwhile, Luke's FREE MARKET health care gives him a totally fancy hand just a few decades later. Something Trump is likely to leave us, WELL-SIZED, CAPABLE, artificial hands on the cheap.

It's really been a major failure of the new films that we aren't getting these important world building debates like in the prequels, hopefully the Ninth film is simply a debate on the merits of the two positions in front of an impartial set of judges.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3316 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #3317 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »
:comeon

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3318 on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:06 PM »
 :heh

benjipwns

« Reply #3319 on: July 02, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
that's eight minutes of him just recounting Anakin's plot, then saying Hayden was perfect...because he says "My Master" like James Earl Jones? so just ignore any other parts where he actually acts?

also, i don't think you can describe your own story (about Vader slaughtering people?) as "beautiful"

and where was the theory?!? no no no, preorder cancelled

agrajag

« Reply #3320 on: July 02, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Love won't save you Padme, only my new powers can do that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3321 on: July 02, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
Hayden is a good actor, it's sad that the Prequels managed to make a clown of him -- just as with every other actor in the film -- due to poor direction and dialog by a secretive technology fetishist.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3322 on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #3323 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
Or they were lazy and reused the same moves.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3324 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
Or they were lazy and reused the same moves.

EASY, SATAN.

I guarantee you Rian is fucking clever enough to have it be intentional.

Tasty

« Reply #3325 on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
Lol I'm sure he is too, just wanted to rustle your jimmies. ;)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3326 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/frodesignco/status/1013923984318947328

Lol I'm sure he is too, just wanted to rustle your jimmies. ;)
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!  :-*

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3327 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
The triple Death Star. :lawd
©@©™

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #3328 on: July 05, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »

The triple Death Star. :lawd

JJ absolutely livid that they beat him to the idea.

warcock

« Reply #3329 on: July 05, 2018, 07:10:52 AM »
yo why  is a GOAT actor like benicio del toro in this pile of phlegm.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #3330 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
So you don't understand why he'd act in TLJ. An interesting well made blockbuster that tilts SW nerds. But Sicario 2, Avengers: Infinity War and GotG are fine?
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #3331 on: July 05, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Because they forgot that Lando was a thing until they hired him.

Only sorta joking.

Tasty

« Reply #3332 on: July 05, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
Disney: We should put the best actors in these roles to elevate and bring legitimacy to our comic and baby space movies. What can we do with Benicio Del Toro?

Also Disney: Lol idk just give him a 3 minute scene where he makes weird faces and noises in a few movies

The Collector is one of his best roles lol.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3333 on: July 05, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »

Because they forgot that Lando was a thing until they hired him.

Only sorta joking.

Yeah, I've hear A LOT of shit about why Billy Dee was mentally unfit to reprise the role of Lando in Canto Bight, but that guy who had the red cloisonné flower pin, standing next to Lily Cole, had only one or two lines total.

#itshouldabeenLando

Tasty

« Reply #3334 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
:confused

Mentally unfit? What?

warcock

« Reply #3335 on: July 05, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »
So you don't understand why he'd act in TLJ. An interesting well made blockbuster that tilts SW nerds. But Sicario 2, Avengers: Infinity War and GotG are fine?

I haven't watched any of those movies. Sicario was amazeballs if 2 is anything like it (unless it's gratuitous milking) i have no idea how you could compare it to this mindfuckingly terrible experience that i subjected myself to, broken up into 20 minute chunks over the course of 2 days. Fucking painful cringe every other scene. Btw has anybody had quality issues on chrome-netflix? It was really low, had to watch on IE.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3336 on: July 05, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

Mentally unfit? What?

Sorry, thirty seconds of google isn't bringing it up, but I was reading that as the main scuttlebutt on why it didn't happen.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3337 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
How is this thread 63 pages? The original trilogy isn't even that great.

Tasty

« Reply #3338 on: July 05, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »

Mentally unfit? What?

Sorry, thirty seconds of google isn't bringing it up, but I was reading that as the main scuttlebutt on why it didn't happen.

LULZ the biggest rumor for Ep 9 is he's coming back in style. He also voiced himself in Battlefront II btw.

agrajag

« Reply #3339 on: July 05, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »
If Billy Dee is mentally unfit, they should give the role to Carl Weathers

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3340 on: July 05, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

Empire is a great movie. People still want to believe that someone can recapture that magic again.

Nerds are no different than other junkies. They are just running around spending their money chasing that dragon. Trying to get that hit that will remind them of the first time.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3341 on: July 05, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »

Empire is a great movie. People still want to believe that someone can recapture that magic again.

Nerds are no different than other junkies. They are just running around spending their money chasing that dragon. Trying to get that hit that will remind them of the first time.

Empire is definitely the best of the bunch, but Return of the Jedi is all kind of meh, the prequels are crap, and all the new movies are forgettable.

Nerds are not addicted as much as they are obsessive, probably because so many are on the spectrum.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3342 on: July 05, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
I think it's less about spectrum tendencies and more about unrequited competitive impulses.

Testosterone gives them this impulse to compete and because they don't get to do it with chasing women or chasing a ball around a field, they direct that energy into fandom of 'a thing'. So, there is this oneupmanship going on where they feel compelled to be "the biggest fan" of whatever. It scratches that itch they can't get in other ways in their life.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3343 on: July 05, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »

Mentally unfit? What?

He also voiced himself in Battlefront II btw.

i read this and thought "well wasn't that like two decades ago? he could have faded since then" and honestly forgot the new battlefronts happened until i googled bfII to find the exact release lol

Tasty

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3345 on: July 14, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
So you don't understand why he'd act in TLJ. An interesting well made blockbuster that tilts

::)

:derp :derp :derp
dur

agrajag

« Reply #3346 on: July 14, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Fucking Donald Glover ruined Lando for me  >:(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3347 on: July 14, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »

You were both consenting adults, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #3348 on: July 14, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »

You were both consenting adults, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
um, can we get this confirmed before we start making comments?

Tasty

« Reply #3349 on: July 14, 2018, 06:06:04 PM »
He's PD's type too :dead

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3351 on: July 15, 2018, 03:15:45 AM »
That theory is unnecessary time travel is already a thing in Star Wars and was a huge part of the Rebels finale 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3352 on: July 15, 2018, 06:58:53 AM »
He's PD's type too :dead

PD is more into dusty Wu Tang affiliates.
a dying and occasionally self-castrating breed

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3353 on: July 20, 2018, 12:58:48 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #3354 on: July 20, 2018, 01:23:12 AM »
Prequel era :donot

agrajag

« Reply #3355 on: July 20, 2018, 01:30:47 AM »
Parts of that look better than the CGI in AotC

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3356 on: July 20, 2018, 02:22:38 AM »
Prequel era :donot
Your loss, Clone Wars is amazing =P

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3357 on: July 20, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »

agrajag

« Reply #3358 on: July 20, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
Solo was the only one I thought was right shut, mate.

And even it had its moments.

Tasty

« Reply #3359 on: July 20, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »