Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 555686 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #3900 on: October 29, 2019, 06:59:44 AM »
Who got their tickets to star wars then? Admit it!

:kobeyuck
Margs

agrajag

« Reply #3901 on: October 29, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »
D&D are out from Star Wars

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3902 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »

Dungeons and Dragons? Whut?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3903 on: October 29, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »

The two guys that were showrunners for Game of Thrones.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3904 on: October 29, 2019, 10:59:05 PM »

The two guys that were showrunners for Game of Thrones.

I think Chrono knows, but his joke is way funnier because that's how most folks would read it if it wasn't Game of Thrones-Dungeons and Dragons super fans.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3905 on: October 30, 2019, 09:04:46 AM »
Dokken?!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
dog

bluemax

« Reply #3906 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:45 PM »
Rogue One was better than Solo and Last Jedi

It might be better on a technical level but I enjoyed Solo way more.

Darth Icky sitting in the corner of the jizz bar, asking strangers if they've ever heard the tragedy of Great Plagueis the Wise....only to add a little more to the story that SHEV left out: Plagueis came back to life and he's ickier than ever

:rejoice

I'm thinking about this gif but with a Darth Vader helmet:

(Image removed from quote.)

NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3907 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
mandalorian  :rejoice it's star war, but it's not  :thinking but it's good  :)

doesn't exactly feel like star war, but it's in the star war universe. at times I got a feeling of vidya cut scenes, but in a good way  :doge

it's a good sci-fi that just happens to be star war

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3908 on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »
One episode so its impossible to really give a full opinion of course on how the show will turn out but I liked the first episode. In a way it felt like a better Star Wars experience precisely because it was on TV and used that format properly. Hopefully it doesn't get stupid in that way star wars can stumble into.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3909 on: November 12, 2019, 11:45:48 PM »
The only thing that slightly made me lol was the idea that mandalorians dont take their helmets off, otherwise it was okay.

daemon

« Reply #3910 on: November 13, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
The written in secret thing is the problem with the trilogy. They wrote each movie of a trilogy, one movie at a time, with no consideration with where it was going next.

It still boggles my mind that they did this. Like, I'm actually fine with the second movie blasting apart the things that the first movie set up but if they're just going to retcon everything in the third movie, then what was the point of it all?

/rian giggles

Occam

« Reply #3911 on: November 13, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »
Apparently there are new changes to at least ANH on Disney+ :dead

:lol what? the one thing people wanted them to do now that Lucas is out of the picture and they fuck it up? :dead

No longer matters since the release of the 4K restoration. The film has been preserved for eternity in its original form.

Tasty

« Reply #3912 on: November 13, 2019, 08:15:42 AM »
A New Hope was off the table forever because Fox had distribution, but now Disney literally owns the entire movie franchise dead to rights (no asterisks.)

I guess to say, if we don't get despecialized versions from Disney, then 100% there's language in Lucas's sale contract about changes to his movies. He's exactly the type of businessperson/creative combo to negotiate something like that.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3913 on: November 13, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »
Watched the Mandalorian.
I gotta admit, I was more entertained and interested in that one episode than I was in 6 of the 8 mainline Star Wars movies.
That being said, I think it's more a statement of what I think of mainline Star Wars movies than the show. But still... :trumps
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3914 on: November 15, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »
mandalorians ep 2 is out   :lucas

Nuitangg

« Reply #3915 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »
30 minute episode  :-\

Occam

« Reply #3916 on: November 16, 2019, 01:38:55 AM »
And it's only 8 episodes. So less than 5h total. That's why they are stretching it to one episode a week for the remainder of the season.
Here's a brilliant idea: devide the rest into 10 minute segments. That way Disney+ could make it last another 4 1/2 months!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3917 on: November 16, 2019, 02:19:18 AM »
This episode was a fetch quest :/

Himu

« Reply #3918 on: November 16, 2019, 06:10:06 AM »
I really liked VII at the time. Biggest waste of potential I've seen in a while.

Will Redbox IX and laugh at it and celebrate the end of star wars.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3919 on: November 16, 2019, 06:13:34 AM »
The trailer has some really neat visuals and exciting set pieces it seems; already better than VIII in that sense, but this...
All this talk about the end of the saga would mean something if the sequel trilogy actually had any real weight or feeling behind it. I don't really care about these characters and they sure don't feel like a group of friends. C3P0 saying "I'm looking at my friends" feels so empty. These characters hardly feel like they've interacted. I don't even feel like Rey knows Poe and so on. The sequel trilogy has really failed.

Writing a trilogy one movie at a time, with no end goal in mind, and no consideration for what comes next is the dumbest way to handle these movies.

It's comical how they managed to create a trilogy arguably more messy than the prequels one, not necessarily worse, but certainly less cohesive.
These characters barely had a clear arc, barely interacted with one another, and were essentially suffocated by the nostalgia bait and the old cameos.
Also how the fuck do you constantly retcon within the span of 3 movies? It's like each movie was bring written in secret, from the other ones.

Too bad, despite not thinking much of the movie itself, i really liked the new characters in VII.

The written in secret thing is the problem with the trilogy. They wrote each movie of a trilogy, one movie at a time, with no consideration with where it was going next.

The most hilarious and mindboggling part is that this is the same company that had already released a dozen Marvel movies and had the next 20 movies mapped out. They paid $4 BILLION for Star Wars and then were like "just wing it, lul".

Star wars is impossible to fuck up. Like a ramen packet or mash potatoes after all.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3920 on: November 16, 2019, 06:21:03 AM »
Another thing I'll bring up, that I've never seen anyone talk about, is just how lived-in that world feels in ANH.

You see a town of a bunch of poor folk controlled by an empire, filled with authoritative troops, and there's a jazz bar where smugglers interact.

There's a weird human/hairy beast duo that run together and understand each other despite Chewbacca's lack of English.

You get the feeling that they've been doing this for a long time, and you get the feeling that there's a ton of people like them. You get that in their dialogue, in the way they interact with everyone etc.

All these new movies lack any sort of imagination or world-building, a lot of times people are "The One", or there's special significance drawn to same geriatric characters, no longer is there a universe to explore... but a plot to follow.

It's one of the reasons why Rogue One feels so terrible, sure it's an "outer worlds" story, but it's not delivered in any way that seems like a realistic progression.

Great summation of arguments I've used since the release of Rogue One and Last Jedi with both being utter crap.

People really tried to convince me that a ragtag group of people that barely know each other are going to do a suicide mission.

I felt insane when I saw rogue one and the initial praise and hype. Surely the rest of the world was smoking crack.

People really tried to convince me that Last Jedi was similar to Empire in earned character set up despite a giant swath of Empire bring slow build up with a majority of the story being on an isolated swamp planet and Han and co evading the Empire by sitting in a "hole" just talking. When you take your time, your story is earned. Nothing is earned in Last Jedi. Half the movie is a wild goose chase.

Bad movies.

Feels good to have feelings I've felt for years reiterated back.

Star wars is crap outside the original trilogy.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:28:47 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3921 on: November 16, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »
I really liked VII at the time. Biggest waste of potential I've seen in a while.

Will Redbox IX and laugh at it and celebrate the end of star wars.
Between this and Shenmue's, a lot of deaths you're celebrating!  :-*

Himu

« Reply #3922 on: November 16, 2019, 07:35:53 AM »
Shit happens.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3923 on: November 16, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »
Anyway, i thought solo did the "world building" bu is talking about, somewhat decently.
It was the least horrid one yet, in my opinion, even though it wasn't all that good either.

Himu

« Reply #3924 on: November 16, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
I still haven't seen solo.

After rogue one showed its ass I vowed to never see another one of the announced star wars spin off movies so I haven't bothered.

Last Jedi killed any remaining interest I have in star wars outside the original trilogy so that gave me even more resolve.

The issue isn't just world building. It's character building. Star wars, despite whatever perception of what it is, were slow ass movies that took their time. Back in the day you would marinate in a story. We see Luke's dreams and concerns. We are with him as he peers into the tatooine horizon hoping for something more. We see his faith in Obi wan and by extension the force but also Han's dismissal of it. TFW served as a great template. It had a lot of moments like that. My favorite of which being the scene with rey eating her food while wearing the helmet. The only real character/story flaw is the lack of interaction with Poe.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:53:23 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3925 on: November 16, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
30 minute episode  :-\

Honestly, I'm fine with both episodes being the length they've been. Just stretching it out to meet some arbitrary hour time length is generally an undiscused flaw of traditional 1 hour tv shows.

Episode 2 was mostly world building, nostalgia nods, and setting the table but I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:41:03 AM by Stoney Mason »

agrajag

« Reply #3926 on: November 16, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
mandalorian  :rejoice it's star war, but it's not  :thinking but it's good  :)

doesn't exactly feel like star war, but it's in the star war universe. at times I got a feeling of vidya cut scenes, but in a good way  :doge

it's a good sci-fi that just happens to be star war

It's awesome. To me it does feel more like old school SW than Diznee.

Also, it's impressive how much tech and production values have come. The production in this are not TV-series quality.

This dude is who Boba Fett could've and should've been if he wasn't a lame ass fucking clone.

Tasty

« Reply #3927 on: November 16, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
It's got some good production but it still definitely looks like a (high end) TV show IMO.

Interesting story so far. Herzog. <3

agrajag

« Reply #3928 on: November 16, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
I guess I don't watch enough high end TV shows? I mean, GoT kind of raised the bar on that whole thing. This definitely has an HBO production feel to it. I'm not saying this is 1:1 to a feature film standard, but with a little polish it could be. And it's mostly character driven, so they can be sparing with the effects.

Tasty

« Reply #3929 on: November 16, 2019, 11:33:02 AM »
Maybe it's the SW universe trappings, or a personal issue, but I seem to notice distinct sets more often on this show than GoT or WestWorld. Some of the costuming sometimes looked cheap to me too but I'd have to watch again.

Stellar editing, effects, and music of course. Disney did spend bank on this, and it shows all over the place. Consider my comments minor nitpicks.

agrajag

« Reply #3930 on: November 16, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
yeah, it's still a TV show after all. I am enjoying this far more than all the SW movies Disney has put out thus far.

agrajag

« Reply #3931 on: November 16, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
lmao Baby Yoda ate a whole damn frog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3932 on: November 16, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
two eps in and it's already the best star war

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3933 on: November 16, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
possibly a lil babby one!

agrajag

« Reply #3934 on: November 16, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
so are the yoda;s species extremely force sensitive or something? They have the highest midi-chlorian counts?  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3935 on: November 16, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
do not feed him after midnight!

Tasty

« Reply #3936 on: November 16, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
so are the yoda;s species extremely force sensitive or something? They have the highest midi-chlorian counts?  :doge

That's what I'm assuming they're going with.

Or there's a WestWorld-like time shift twist and this is actually Old Republic days or some shit and that's really Yoda for real

agrajag

« Reply #3937 on: November 16, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

That's what I'm assuming they're going with.

Or there's a WestWorld-like time shift twist and this is actually Old Republic days or some shit and that's really Yoda for real

I don't think it's the latter because they referenced the failing Empire

Tasty

« Reply #3938 on: November 16, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Yeah, and the stormtrooper designs are 1:1 with the OT Empire, soooooooo yeah. Probably not.

But who knows? :idont

Maybe it's some crazy shit like scene to scene it's literally a different character under the Mandalorian armor?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3939 on: November 16, 2019, 11:23:27 PM »
where the babbie yoda toys at? the perfect christmas gift  :hyper

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3940 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
where the babbie yoda toys at? the perfect christmas gift  :hyper

Next year, Disney wouldn't just throw them out when Disney+ isn't a world wide cult.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3941 on: November 19, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #3942 on: November 19, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Chad Vader redeems himself (throwing the Emperor down a mineshaft) while virgin Anakin betrays the Republic and kills younglings, Vader wins easily.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3943 on: November 21, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »
After the first episode I was worried The Mandalorian was going to be the first Star Wars product actually made for dads who wear Empire Strikes Back shirts but then in episode 2 it became clear that the show was going to answer the question no one asked but Lucasfilm was happy to answer anyway ("What if Yoshi's Island was a Star Wars show?") and our eponymous Mandalorian got the shit kicked out of him by a bunch of Jawas who made fun of him for being a monoglot. What an absolute zero like Jango, Boba, the Brothers Saxon, et cetera. :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3944 on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:39 AM »
After the first episode I was worried The Mandalorian was going to be the first Star Wars product actually made for dads who wear Empire Strikes Back shirts but then in episode 2 it became clear that the show was going to answer the question no one asked but Lucasfilm was happy to answer anyway ("What if Yoshi's Island was a Star Wars show?") and our eponymous Mandalorian got the shit kicked out of him by a bunch of Jawas who made fun of him for being a monoglot. What an absolute zero like Jango, Boba, the Brothers Saxon, et cetera. :lol
Between this and the baby looking stinking cute I might just have to acquire an unlicensed copy of this.

bluemax

« Reply #3945 on: November 21, 2019, 03:44:26 AM »
Karakand is back!
NO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3946 on: November 21, 2019, 03:46:37 AM »
I had him locked in my wine cellar, well he wasnt locked, I just put out some cheese and books and he stayed :smug 

Tasty

« Reply #3947 on: November 21, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
I had him locked in my wine cellar, well he wasnt locked, I just put out some cheese and books and he stayed :smug 

I just say his name three times in front of a darkened room's mirror.

thisismyusername

« Reply #3948 on: November 25, 2019, 03:59:20 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3949 on: November 25, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »
They fly now?
They fly now!
They fly now.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3950 on: November 25, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
Marvel/Disney banter-humor really is absolute garbage trash.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #3951 on: November 25, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
Normally, it isn't that bad. But sweet Jesus: Why are they surprised Stormtroopers have jetpacks?

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3952 on: November 25, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
YA KNOW IF YOU HATE THIS, YOU ARE ALT RIGHT SCUM

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3953 on: November 25, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
About as dumb as, "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS," sorry.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3954 on: November 25, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
About as dumb as, "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS," sorry.

Oh yeah, we'll that's not what your mom said last night! Boom! Star Wars reference!
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #3955 on: November 25, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
The trash tier Disney humour isn't quite that but the over-reliance on what is basically the comedic equivalent of jump scares.

*build up overly serious scene for obvious tension break*
:derp "DERP" :derp

:derp "YO MAMA IS FAT" :derp

:derp "ONE LINER LOL IDUNCUR - FUNNY" :derp

Ghoul

« Reply #3956 on: November 25, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
So I went to opening night of TLJ and my friends and I sneaked in a bunch of wine/beers etc.

I got so drunk halfway through that I left to take a piss but ended up in a bowling alley and did a bunch of coke lost track of time and had to walk to my buddies house to collect my stuff at 3am

Pretty good film tbh.

paprikastaude

« Reply #3957 on: November 25, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3958 on: November 25, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
We gotta hand it to JJ. He at least made a film that already looks like Star Wars which was something Ryan Johnson never achieved in the entire runtime of TLJ.

The marketing for Rise of Skywalker is kinda weird though, not as much hoopla as with TLJ. Disney is promoting the Mandalorian more.
🤴

Kara

« Reply #3959 on: November 25, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Yeah I'm expecting it to suck and would agree the ST is worse with the stock quips but this isn't that different from most of those from the OT :yeshrug

Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking NERF HERDER!

WHO'S SCRUFFY LOOKING?