Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556772 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #4080 on: December 10, 2019, 12:17:04 AM »
I always turn it off before that final award ceremony. It feels so cheesy and corny. I know that huge swell of John Williams in your face is supposed to move you but when you strip that away it seems so out of place.

daemon

« Reply #4081 on: December 10, 2019, 12:25:47 AM »
I always turn it off before that final award ceremony. It feels so cheesy and corny. I know that huge swell of John Williams in your face is supposed to move you but when you strip that away it seems so out of place.

I hope you don't mean victory celebration of ep6 (probably you mean Ep4)

This is easily the best change in the OT.

... if they kept sebastian shaw.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:51:20 AM by daemon »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4082 on: December 10, 2019, 12:31:25 AM »
yub nub  :lawd

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #4083 on: December 10, 2019, 04:43:55 AM »
What

Occam

« Reply #4084 on: December 10, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
Yeah, this is awful beyond words.
I am eternally grateful to the guys who preserved the original movies in 4k quality so I never have to watch the garbage editions again. Project 4k80 (restoration of Empire Strikes Back) is currently underway, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi have already been released (and they look beautiful). I just hope that eventually they'll create an HDR version, too (which they said was possible).

By the way, I have not reserved a ticked for The Rise of Skywalker. No desire to see it at this time.
It's probably going to be the second Star Wars movie I won't watch in a cinema (after Solo, which actually turned out to be good).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:03:53 AM by Occam »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4085 on: December 10, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »

I hope you don’t ..

Nope, I meant what I said. The award ceremony in the original movie. If you look at it objectively, it feels tacked on and lacks any kind of grand sense of scale or accomplishment for what just occurred.

It’s like if they ended Saving Private Ryan in a VFW hall and handed them some cheap trinkets.

But now that you bring up ROtJ ending, maybe Lucas was just horrible at endings.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4086 on: December 10, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »
mental that basically every detail from the leaks has been confirmed in some way or another at this point. even the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
palpatine force draining reylo's life force
[close]
shite.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #4087 on: December 10, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
Yeah, this is awful beyond words.
I am eternally grateful to the guys who preserved the original movies in 4k quality so I never have to watch the garbage editions again. Project 4k80 (restoration of Empire Strikes Back) is currently underway, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi have already been released (and they look beautiful). I just hope that eventually they'll create an HDR version, too (which they said was possible).

By the way, I have not reserved a ticked for The Rise of Skywalker. No desire to see it at this time.
It's probably going to be the second Star Wars movie I won't watch in a cinema (after Solo, which actually turned out to be good).
Solo was such a weird experience in the theater.  I remember thinking while watching it that, “I feel like I’m enjoying this much more than any of the other nu-Star Wars,” but it’s the first one where I also felt seeing it on the big screen did not enhance any of the high points in action.
I feel like anyone actually excited about this new Star War is going to find themselves with their own LOST ending, and I cannot wait to reap the rewards of their bitter tears.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4088 on: December 10, 2019, 11:20:32 PM »
Why is there a ROTJ 4K demaster before Empire

Was there really anything egregious in Empire? Most of the changes were fairly benign [or even a net positive], unless I've forgotten something, unlike some of the really noticeable changes in New Hope and Jedi.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4089 on: December 10, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
The ROTJ print they got was in almost literally perfect condition (I assume it came from the Victorville Film Archive), they are splicing together multiple ESB prints and all of them need color restoration work.

I guess even Lucas' personal copy isn't pristine when he showed it not too long ago.

Tasty

« Reply #4090 on: December 10, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »

Everyone was laughing back then but Palpy's back and everyone's wondering how he survived the Death Star II and got better...

The answer is obvious: The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center. :duh

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4091 on: December 11, 2019, 03:13:44 AM »

Everyone was laughing back then but Palpy's back and everyone's wondering how he survived the Death Star II and got better...

The answer is obvious: The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center. :duh

Also known as the EmPal SuReC IIRC (it's named like that in the video before they say the full name).

Edit : per Wookiepedia

The Chancellor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center, sometimes shortened to ChanPal SuRecon Center, crowned one of the tallest buildings on Coruscant. During the Clone Wars, it was also known as the Grand Republic Medical Facility or simply as the Grand Medical Facility. It later became known as the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center, being commonly referred to as the EmPal SuRecon Center. It was an imposing spire that dominated its particular stretch of the Galactic City—later Imperial City—skyline.

:hhh
ὕβρις

Coffee Dog

« Reply #4092 on: December 11, 2019, 06:11:06 AM »

Was there really anything egregious in Empire? Most of the changes were fairly benign [or even a net positive], unless I've forgotten something, unlike some of the really noticeable changes in New Hope and Jedi.

This is it, for some odd reason Lucas never really fucked with Empire. There were some touched up effects shots, and continuity changes but that's it (Boba Fett and Sheev replaced with prequel actors)

Occam

« Reply #4093 on: December 11, 2019, 07:25:34 AM »

This is it, for some odd reason Lucas never really fucked with Empire. There were some touched up effects shots, and continuity changes but that's it (Boba Fett and Sheev replaced with prequel actors)

The remade scene with Palpatine is terrible. "Search your feelings, you know it to be true". Really, you had to make him say that line? "It's like poetry, it rhymes".

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #4096 on: December 11, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »
still in my "Random" music folder:

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4097 on: December 11, 2019, 11:04:12 PM »
SMH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4098 on: December 12, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
🎵WE GOT DEATH STAR🎵
🎵WE GOT DEATH STAR🎵
🎵WE GOT DEATH STAR🎵
🎵WE GOT DEATH STAR🎵
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4099 on: December 12, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
Everything George Lucas has said about his theoretical Star Wars sequel trilogy

THE PARTS OF LUCAS’ EPISODE 7 THAT DIDN’T MAKE THE CUT
One small detail we know about the story of the later Lucas trilogy is that it would have focused on diving into the “microbiotic world,” where viewers would learn more about the Force and the way it works. Lucas planned to dig deeper into the science of midi-chlorians, the biological explanation for the Force that was first mentioned (and contended with by fans) in The Phantom Menace.

For James Cameron’s 2018 Story of Science Fiction book, Lucas explained that his trilogy would have focused on “the Whills,” an ancient life form that fed on the Force. According to Lucas, the Whills essentially “are the Force.” The midi-chlorians within Force-sensitive beings communicate directly with the Whills, allowing the super-powerful beings to control the galaxy.

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we’re just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in […] We’re vessels for them,” Lucas said.

:brain :lucas :brain
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4100 on: December 12, 2019, 11:18:31 PM »

One small detail we know about the story of the later Lucas trilogy is that it would have focused on diving into the “microbiotic world,” where viewers would learn more about the Force and the way it works. Lucas planned to dig deeper into the science of midi-chlorians, the biological explanation for the Force that was first mentioned (and contended with by fans) in The Phantom Menace.

For James Cameron’s 2018 Story of Science Fiction book, Lucas explained that his trilogy would have focused on “the Whills,” an ancient life form that fed on the Force. According to Lucas, the Whills essentially “are the Force.” The midi-chlorians within Force-sensitive beings communicate directly with the Whills, allowing the super-powerful beings to control the galaxy.

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we’re just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in […] We’re vessels for them,” Lucas said.

aT lEast gEOrGe LUcaS tRiEd tO do sOMethIng diFferENt
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4101 on: December 13, 2019, 03:56:04 AM »

:trash

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4102 on: December 13, 2019, 05:47:24 AM »

I dislike the new Emperor scene. I know it makes sense continuity wise. But the change looks well lame and doesn’t fit. I hate the way the Emperor looks in the prequels, very corny. It also looks like you stuck a 2005 movie scene into an 80s film. The color coding, texture, and so on look off.

Also the editing in  of Vader returning to his ship is pointless and damages the pacing of the movie. It’s jarring. You’ve got all this momentum in the action and music of the Cloud City escape scenes. That’s interrupted because I guess Lucas felt we couldn’t assume Vader took a craft back to the Star Destoryer.   

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4103 on: December 13, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »

It's true.
It's also true that the "different" was garbage.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4104 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »
George Lucas made a film about a trade dispute in a political union causing ever more radical separatists to take control.
We all laughed at him for the ridiculous premise of anyone ever leaving a trade bloc.

:huh
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4105 on: December 13, 2019, 05:23:13 PM »
Jeremy Cor-Byn: "Not to mention the fat gangster HUTT of the United States of Tatooine will make a deal to have his dirty Chlorinated Chicken enter our supply chain as soon as we leave the Republic. I say no that sir!"

Boris Johnson: "The only Chlorinated Chicken in this country is the Jedi Master sitting there right across from me!"

Jar Jar Rees-Mogg: "HEARSA HEARSA!!"

John Bercow: "THE FIRST ORRDEERRR!!! THE FIRST OORDDEERRR!!!"

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4106 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
liked that episode.  Suprised Patrick Rothfuss was in it. 

Himu

« Reply #4107 on: December 13, 2019, 10:49:16 PM »
Trying to not choke on my water from laughter reading all this
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4108 on: December 13, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
Bob Iger: How're you doing? What do you say I buy you a cup of coffee?
Martin Scorsese: Yeah, sure. Let's go.
BI: Follow me.

BI: Fourteen years in Disney. In Capital Cities for two. ABC before that. ABC as tough as they say?
MS: You looking to become a corporatologist?
BI: You looking to go back? I chased down some crews. Guys just looking to fuck up, get busted back. That you?
MS: You must've worked some dipshit crews.
BI: I worked all kinds.
MS: You see me building cinematic universes with a "Born to Lose" tattoo on my chest?
BI: I do not.
MS: Right. I am never doing that.
BI: Then don't talk about superhero movies.
MS: I do what I do best: I talk about movies. You do what you do best: Try to stop guys like me.
BI: So you never wanted a regular-type life?
MS: What the fuck is that? Barbecues and ball games?
BI: Yeah.
MS: This regular-type life like your life?
BI: My life? No, my life...My life's a disaster zone. I got a Star Wars franchise so fucked up...because its real creator is this large-type asshole. I got a wife. We're passing each other on the down slope of a marriage. My third. Because I spend all my time chasing guys like you around the block. That's my life.

MS: A guy told me one time: "Don't get yourself attached to anything you can't walk out on in 30 seconds...if you feel the heat around the corner." If you're on me and you got to move when I move, how do you expect to keep a space opera successful?
BI: That's an interesting point. What are you ? A monk?
MS: I have a woman.
BI: What do you tell her?
MS: I tell her I like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
BI: So, if you spot me coming around that corner...you'll just walk out on this woman ? Not admit you enjoy populist cinema?
MS: That's the discipline.
BI: That's pretty vacant.
MS: It is what it is. It's that, or we both better go do something else.
BI: I don't know how to do anything else.
MS: Neither do I.
BI: I don't want much to either.
MS: Neither do I.

BI: You know, I have this recurring dream. I'm sitting at Comic-Con, and all the victims of all the knee-jerk reactionary firings Disney have committed are there...and they're staring at me, wearing these Guardians of the Galaxy T-Shirts. And there they are, these unshaven people, because I found them two weeks after they'd locked themselves in their mothers basements. The neighbors reported the smell and there they are all just sitting there.
MS: What do they say?
BI: Nothing.
MS: No talk?
BI: They have nothing to say. We just look at each other. They look at me and that's it. That's the dream.
MS: I have one where I'm drowning. I gotta wake myself up and start breathing or I'll die in my sleep.
BI: Know what that's about?
MS: Yeah. Having enough time.
BI: Enough time to do what you want to do?
MS: That's right.
BI: You doing it now?
MS: No, not yet.

BI: You know, we're sitting here you and I like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. Now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta show you Black Panther, I won't like it. But, I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose happiness rests on whether a stranger enjoys the same movie as him.......brother...you are going down.
MS: There's a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta get Denis Villeneuve to criticise the MCU? Because no matter what...you won't get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.
BI: Maybe that's what will be. Or...who knows?
MS: Maybe we'll never see each other again.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4109 on: December 14, 2019, 01:53:57 AM »
6 episodes in and I can sort of see and understand what The Mandalorian is and isn't. It's a good show. Not a great show. It's a safe show. The first few episodes kind of tricked me as I thought it may end up being darker than I expected which would be a good thing but it really isn't that. It's very traditional when it comes to TV. It's honestly not that far removed from something like Bonanza or the myriad of TV westerns that existed in the past. It tries to give a darker and more sinister under-pinning to things, but that aspect is mostly there to sort of make it seem like a more post modern show where critically praised TV nowadays is obligated to be morally ambiguous and gritty.

These kind of sounds like disses but I really don't mean it that way. This is a solid show for Star Wars fans. If you are not a star wars fan, I'm not sure this show has a lot to offer to a person to make it must watch, but its nice comfort food for a star wars fan and that's not a bad thing. This baby yoda thing seems like it will stretch on for quite awhile (seasons if not the entire run of the show) which isn't my ideal plotline but it is what it is. With a few tweaks and creative choices it could have been pretty great but I think we'll have to settle for good since I have a feeling Disney isn't gonna take the creative risks to push it there. And once again nothing wrong with good. I settle in and watch an episode every week and mostly find myself enjoying each of them.

daemon

« Reply #4110 on: December 14, 2019, 03:01:49 AM »
6 episodes in and I can sort of see and understand what The Mandalorian is and isn't. It's a good show. Not a great show. It's a safe show. The first few episodes kind of tricked me as I thought it may end up being darker than I expected which would be a good thing but it really isn't that. It's very traditional when it comes to TV. It's honestly not that far removed from something like Bonanza or the myriad of TV westerns that existed in the past. It tries to give a darker and more sinister under-pinning to things, but that aspect is mostly there to sort of make it seem like a more post modern show where critically praised TV nowadays is obligated to be morally ambiguous and gritty.

These kind of sounds like disses but I really don't mean it that way. This is a solid show for Star Wars fans. If you are not a star wars fan, I'm not sure this show has a lot to offer to a person to make it must watch, but its nice comfort food for a star wars fan and that's not a bad thing. This baby yoda thing seems like it will stretch on for quite awhile (seasons if not the entire run of the show) which isn't my ideal plotline but it is what it is. With a few tweaks and creative choices it could have been pretty great but I think we'll have to settle for good since I have a feeling Disney isn't gonna take the creative risks to push it there. And once again nothing wrong with good. I settle in and watch an episode every week and mostly find myself enjoying each of them.

Reminder that this is Disney Star Wars. We haven't even had a single dismemberment in two star wars numbered movies. Hell, not even in the spin-offs if I recall well.

I might end up eating crow with baby Yoda dying on the finale but yeah xD

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #4112 on: December 14, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
                                                                           KYLO MAH BOI
                                                                          /
                                                                         /

Tasty

« Reply #4113 on: December 14, 2019, 06:52:33 PM »

"Hi leakers! 👋🏻"

team filler

• filler
  • filler

benjipwns

« Reply #4115 on: December 15, 2019, 02:21:47 AM »
TPM is on TNT and I'm so confused. The plot still doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm also confused at how often the CGI characters look clean and everything else looks like rear projection and 80s optical effects with dirty plates. Sometimes the droids look practical, other times they look more realistic in The Clone Wars. Wasn't this all digital? Night scenes look especially bad and blurry.
TPM was like half and half. There are scenes with outlines around actors. IIRC, Lucas later said that he started it too early (in terms of that, not like story or anything) and technology didn't quite reach the point they expected. Also theaters weren't as up to date as expected they learned from the Special Editions. AOTC isn't all digital either, but it's close to nearly so. There was something like they weren't sure how objects at a certain distance from the camera or something would show up because I guess that was a big TPM problem. In the deleted scenes/etc. you can see like there will randomly be a built/painted/etc. pillar or something in the middle of a green room. Or Anakin and Obi-Wan will be sitting on a green box and there's like a random panel prop attached to it. I think they digitally drew over most of them though.

The classic example is how Yoda's still a puppet in the original cuts of TPM, they couldn't model him well enough. By ATOC they could.

You can see some similar stuff with that first CGI Jabba in the Special Editions versus when they redid it again. It often looks worse than the puppet and in the new scenes moves without complete animation frames.

edit: looking at the various wikis it seems that the CHARACTERS were indeed all CGI'd, but lots of other stuff was scanned models/miniature sets/etc. then digitally inserted into scenes, the droids were all built as models then scanned but some were then animated entirely digitally (I bet the droid soldiers were this) while others (R2) were not... so good eye I guess

however some aliens are not CGI as masks were cheaper to make, and the CGI was just touching things up or moving them around in crowd scenes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:36:05 AM by benjipwns »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4116 on: December 15, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #4117 on: December 15, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
If the prequels had been made in the 90s with non-Lucas directors they would have been fucking amazing. Imagine T2- and Jurassic Park-level mixed-practical-and-CG effects. :lawd

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4118 on: December 15, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #4119 on: December 15, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
the puppet Yoda in TPM ruined my childhood

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4120 on: December 15, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
Using fortnite players for marketing the film instead of showing the film.

This film is gonna be so bad I cannot wait!

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4121 on: December 15, 2019, 07:51:44 PM »
After the murderer's row of D list celebrities nerds will recognize in this week's episode I genuinely have to hand it to Disney for how cynical they've been with Star Wars: Escort Mission.

agrajag

« Reply #4122 on: December 15, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
not gonna lie, it's taking a lot to even muster the energy to watch the latest episode

paprikastaude

« Reply #4123 on: December 15, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
If I didn't hear a friend talking about it recently, I would've completely forgotten that ep 9 is coming out in like 2 days?  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4124 on: December 15, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
 :pacspit ziomanji!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4125 on: December 16, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »

8)
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4126 on: December 16, 2019, 06:48:37 PM »
🤴

bluemax

« Reply #4127 on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:35 AM »
NO

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4128 on: December 17, 2019, 02:56:53 AM »
last Jedi is totally gonna be this trilogy’s empire
püp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4129 on: December 17, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4130 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
you don't really need twitter responses when the whole thing was leaked months ago.

paprikastaude

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4132 on: December 17, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »

Yes, this is my take as well.  I'm enjoying it, though it could be better. 

I think most episodes would have been helped by a slightly longer runtime.
MMA

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4133 on: December 17, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »

Someone on the cast will fake a hate crime for sympathy?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4134 on: December 17, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »

Maybe 30% of TLJ.

The rest of it is prequel-tier.

Tasty

« Reply #4135 on: December 17, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »
:drudge

spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast,
a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence,
while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor,
determined to destroy any threat to his power…
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4136 on: December 17, 2019, 10:50:18 AM »
Just read the whole plot through bulletpoints on 4chan, confirmed by the above shots.

Let me just say, there aren't enough:  :lol on the web.

BRA-VO.

Tasty

« Reply #4137 on: December 17, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4138 on: December 17, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
I'm so hyped to see this trainwreck. :lol

Coffee Dog

« Reply #4139 on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
why are they redeeming kylo jesus fucking christ

all they had to do was let kylo stay an asshole and give him some kind of goal for the third film and had him die like the shithead he is. but i guess literally every person is cool deep down except for palpatine. let's redeem ginger first order shouting man next