Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556792 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #4260 on: December 18, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
BAHAHAHA

THE THING WE KNEW AFTER TLJ CAME TO PASS

STAR WARS IS DEAD!

LONG LIVE THE WAR OF THE STARS!

:jeb
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4261 on: December 18, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »

:whew
dog

Himu

Re: The Star War is dead. Long live the Star War! [pbuh]
« Reply #4262 on: December 18, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
I'm curious how anyone who liked TLJ possibly thought that the next movie could be anything other than a trainwreck.

IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4263 on: December 18, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
I'm curious how anyone who liked TLJ possibly thought that the next movie could be anything other than a trainwreck.

what do you think Rian would have done with it if the whole thing had been handed to him to continue, and disney didn't tell him "people didn't like this, fix this shit" and stayed hands off
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #4264 on: December 18, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
Let's not pretend Rian had a plan.

IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #4265 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »

:whew

:mynicca Now, this right here.  This is that real shit.

You better not fuck up the sequel, Whitta.   :ufup

Himu

« Reply #4266 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »
BAHAHAHA

THE THING WE KNEW AFTER TLJ CAME TO PASS

STAR WARS IS DEAD!

LONG LIVE THE WAR OF THE STARS!

:jeb

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4267 on: December 18, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
For those that liked TLJ

Were you excited for ep IX? If so, why? Finally, what did you think would happen?
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #4268 on: December 18, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
If you don't care for spoilers, go to star wars leak on reddit.

I'm laughing my ass off, tbh.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4269 on: December 18, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
you can almost hear the frantic typing of dozens of disney content reaction executives, smashing out emails to RT with "does this REALLY read like a ROTTEN review to you??!!" with a line about the nice special effects or costume design triple underlined.

And yet, ‘The Rise of Skywalker; is as much metafiction as Johnson’s film was. Rather than asking questions about what we really want from a series like “Star Wars,” and whether we’re ready to allow our childhood fictions to grow with us, J.J. Abrams and crew decide to lean on the emotional warmth of reunions, friendships, redemptions, and goodbyes. There is some heartfelt value here, or at least, some of it does admittedly produce some anthemic feels, but it doesn’t hold much weight. Ultimately Abrams, taking this epic ship in for one last seat-of-its pants landing and says definitively, that there are no questions to ask, that it’s all just glossy entertainment, and that we can recycle the same ideas over and over for decades into the future and beyond. [C]

that's a "fresh" review apparently.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:25:23 AM by headwalk »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4270 on: December 18, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
this is going to be a fun weekend
püp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4271 on: December 18, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »

NekoFever

« Reply #4272 on: December 18, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »

This is hilarious.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why doesn't he just stop shooting lightning?
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4274 on: December 18, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
Ackbar died for this shit

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #4275 on: December 18, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
Damn. I'm still gonna see it after the crowds die down, but it's a bummer to hear it's apparently the worst film of the trilogy. I guess in the end the OG trilogy will always be there and the universe is still interesting. Just sucks that two mainline trilogies couldn't do the series justice.

Himu

« Reply #4276 on: December 18, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
the universe is still interesting

If the universe were so interesting why did they make two failed trilogies? Star Wars should have never left the confines of the original trilogy.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #4277 on: December 18, 2019, 11:48:10 AM »

If the universe were so interesting why did they make two failed trilogies? Star Wars should have never left the confines of the original trilogy.

Ehh, it's more like the original trilogy had much more talented people working alongside George Lucas. And with this new trilogy, JJ Abrhams is a fucking boring hack.

Extended universe stuff for Star Wars up to a certain point was fantastic. Disney being involved with Star Wars? Not only do the movies suck, extended universe stuff amounts to baby Yoda memes.
OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4278 on: December 18, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »

The Sheev: "You can't defeat me, i'm all of the Sith!"
Rey: "And i'm all of the Jedi"
*she sends the lightning back at him*
[close]
:lol This writing is worse than anime.

This should've been called "Star Wars episode IX: All of the Jedi"

Coffee Dog

« Reply #4279 on: December 18, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »

The could have like, just not brought back palpatine and use all that spare running time in the intro to establish kylo ren as a big bad villain (who does not get redeemed)

I dont know if it would have been a good movie, but it at least wouldnt be a confused mess

daemon

« Reply #4280 on: December 18, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »

[close]

If JJ was a man of culture, he would've:

Sheev: You will not stop my force lightning!
Rey: Omae wa mou shindeiru
Sheev: NANI?
[close]

The biggest LOL is:

The Emperor yeeting Kylo
[close]

studyguy

« Reply #4281 on: December 18, 2019, 12:09:12 PM »
Girlfriend sat me down to watch the entire first two trilogies back to back then we watched these two lead ups.

I still don't get the mass appeal.
pause

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4282 on: December 18, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
Probably helps to be a child when you watch it for the first time.

Himu

« Reply #4283 on: December 18, 2019, 12:13:26 PM »

Ehh, it's more like the original trilogy had much more talented people working alongside George Lucas. And with this new trilogy, JJ Abrhams is a fucking boring hack.

Extended universe stuff for Star Wars up to a certain point was fantastic. Disney being involved with Star Wars? Not only do the movies suck, extended universe stuff amounts to baby Yoda memes.

Star Wars is rebel vs empire, light vs dark, that's it. In what way is that universe so limiting interesting? This is why Star Wars is a shadow of itself outside of the original trilogy. Things that do unique things and have unique things to say about Star Wars (KOTOR 2) are the rare and few exceptions, not the norm. An interesting universe has many things to say rather than reuse material because you're beholdened to some idea of what you *should* be.

My conclusion is still the same after TLJ and Rogue One: Star Wars sucks balls outside of the original trilogy.

But maybe my opinion will change once I see Mandalorian.
IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #4284 on: December 18, 2019, 12:18:18 PM »

Star Wars is rebel vs empire, light vs dark, that's it. In what way is that universe so limiting interesting? This is why Star Wars is a shadow of itself outside of the original trilogy. Things that do unique things and have unique things to say about Star Wars (KOTOR 2) are the rare and few exceptions, not the norm. An interesting universe has many things to say rather than reuse material because you're beholdened to some idea of what you *should* be.

Rebel vs empire and light vs dark is so broad and generic that it's hardly limiting, imo. The issue with these new movies is not that they are star wars, it's that these new movies literally reuse all the same characters, plot devices, and story beats, and they don't have to. They limit themselves, willingly.

I can only imagine what Star Trek would look like if it never moved beyond Kirk/Spock/Klingons.

Himu

« Reply #4285 on: December 18, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

It's the other way around, all the interesting stuff exists outside the movies, but all of that only exists because the (bad) movies keep the intellectual property alive so hopefully they keep making more bad but profitable movies.

Hmm. I haven't read a SW book since I was a kid so I'll trust your word. My problem with stuff like that is it comes across like fan fiction.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4286 on: December 18, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »

I can only imagine what Star Trek would look like if it never moved beyond Kirk/Spock/Klingons.

Essentially what Star Trek is now?

RIP.

Thankfully Discovery is going centuries into the future so we can finally (with hope) have some actual Star Trek and not "REMEMBER SPOCK?!"
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4287 on: December 18, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
KOTOR and the MMO are the best star wars stories. i'm just gonna keep posting that :hmph

daemon

« Reply #4288 on: December 18, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »

My conclusion is still the same after TLJ and Rogue One: Star Wars sucks balls outside of the original trilogy.

Pretty reductionist argument. The movies add a lot of detail that is barely touched that other authors expand on. That's why the OT and specially the prequels are so interesting, because they're a blank canvas for other creatives to expand on. And the thing is: Lucas actually respected those creators and liked to tie-in his lore with others inputs. The result was an interesting lore ecosystem.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4289 on: December 18, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
That Disney totally yeeted the entire EU [Expanded Universe, not European Union] and then had the audacity to go "Well, we just had to come up with all new ideas ourselves because their wasn't any source material to draw from" is so infuriating.
dog

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4290 on: December 18, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »

[close]

Uncle

Himu

« Reply #4291 on: December 18, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »

Pretty reductionist argument. The movies add a lot of detail that is barely touched that other authors expand on. That's why the OT and specially the prequels are so interesting, because they're a blank canvas for other creatives to expand on. And the thing is: Lucas actually respected those creators and liked to tie-in his lore with others inputs. The result was an interesting lore ecosystem.

The fact it needs other authors to expand upon to me shows it's a limited universe. I prefer franchises that are able to have in-depth stories within their own official works.

If anything, your point proves my argument. They needed other creatives to expand the Star Wars universe that wasn't there. Meanwhile something like Star Trek has a tv series, multiple movies, multiple sequel tv series', and an entire universe within its own official media. Needing to use an expanded universe to go in-depth is a flaw for Star Wars, not a plus. They're even doing it now. Oh, you need to read this such and such comic to understand that part of the movie. You should read the books to get more detail. This shows a limited universe with limited creative vision. Meanwhile, with Trek all I gotta do is watch the damn show. Expanded universe? Who gives a fuck. It doesn't need an expanded universe. Star Wars however, does. Hell, even Marvel movies manage make a more complete, cohesive universe than Star Wars.

Star Wars fucking sucks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:16:50 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4292 on: December 18, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #4293 on: December 18, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

[close]

Well Sheev, I guess we really are the all of the Sith.

Tasty

« Reply #4294 on: December 18, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
All they needed to do to explain Palpatine is name drop Darth Plagueis' discovery of immortality.

That would actually be a neat callback.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4295 on: December 18, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
"rey did you ever hear the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise?"
"shut up old man" *lightsaber throw*

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4296 on: December 18, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
JJ Abrams? More like Jar-Jar Abrams amirite!
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4297 on: December 18, 2019, 01:40:57 PM »
"rey did you ever hear the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise?"
"shut up old man" *lightsaber throw*

Missed opportunity to not have Rey “ok boomer” Sheev in this movie. Rian definitely would have.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4298 on: December 18, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »
All they needed to do to explain Palpatine is name drop Darth Plagueis' discovery of immortality.

That would actually be a neat callback.
He literally, no fooling, says this line to Kylo Ren
[close]

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #4299 on: December 18, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
kinda happy abrams is responsible for the critical flop.

I'll admit to having enjoyed his movies in the past. but I'm not happy about it! they always ring a little hollow and leave you feeling empty. one of the most creatively bankrupt corporate fav #1 directors in the biz.
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #4300 on: December 18, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
And get one director for the whole trilogy so it doesn’t end up looking like a fight between two directors and Disney again.
The original trilogy had three different directors. And they came up with the script just before shooting each time. Lucas came up with the Vader/Luke connection at the end of writing Empire, and Return of the Jedi was basically written from a list of ideas by four dudes sitting around needing a script asap.

JJ screwed the entire thing up from the start when he wrote the entire universe into an Obi-Wan sits around and ages extra fast plot hole.

Boredfrom

« Reply #4301 on: December 18, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
He screwed up when he decided to do “the empire is back and leader is a CG character named Snorkel. Every single of OG Trilogy heroes are cynical incompetent  old men running away from their offscreen failures.”

Boredfrom

« Reply #4302 on: December 18, 2019, 02:10:10 PM »
I wonder if they'll back out of the Obi Wan series like they dropped extra films after TLJ response.

Ironically, Obi Wan might really be their only hope to salvage the franchise :lol

The Mandalorian is doing pretty good, isn’t it? And Star Wars Fallen Order seems to be way more beloved than Battlefront.

They may trying just focusing in transition Eras rather than deal with the film timelines.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4303 on: December 18, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
I don't really give a crap about Star Wars in general, but I find it hard to believe that based on the RT consensus, fucking ATTACK OF THE CLONES is a better movie than this new one is.
  :doge
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4304 on: December 18, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
The best part of all the best parts is maybe
The Force Teleport™ of a lightsaber from All The Jedi™ to Kylo complete with magic trick illusion style dramatic reveal
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4305 on: December 18, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
Revenge Of The Sith is at 80% on there??  :lol :rofl

That's some garbo shit.
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #4306 on: December 18, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
Revenge Of The Sith is at 80% on there??  :lol :rofl

That's some garbo shit.

:sheik

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4307 on: December 18, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
JJ screwed up when he destroyed the entire New Republic in two seconds by Darth Vader cosplayers who somehow had the resources to build a 100x bigger and more powerful Death Star that no one knew about.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4308 on: December 18, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
every star war has an inflated rt score

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4309 on: December 18, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »
JJ screwed up when he destroyed the entire New Republic in two seconds by Darth Vader cosplayers who somehow had the resources to build a 100x bigger and more powerful Death Star that no one knew about.

although when you think about it this way, if the new republic is recovering and things are getting better but evil is simmering under the surface as sith forces start trying to insidiously worm their way in to undermine the governments

instead of retreading the OT you're retreading the prequels  :kobeyuck
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4310 on: December 18, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
what part of the stupid plot did you think i was talking about :rage

Boredfrom

« Reply #4311 on: December 18, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »

although when you think about it this way, if the new republic is recovering and things are getting better but evil is simmering under the surface as sith forces start trying to insidiously worm their way in to undermine the governments

instead of retreading the OT you're retreading the prequels  :kobeyuck

But at least the prequels build it up. This was just “nothing really mattered in the OG trilogy” which is worse if you think about it.

benjipwns

« Reply #4312 on: December 18, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
But at least the prequels build it up. This was just “nothing really mattered in the OG trilogy” which is worse if you think about it.
it's okay though because now none of it really mattered plot wise

daemon

« Reply #4313 on: December 18, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
I didn't think we'd have unmarked spoilers.

So uncivillized

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4314 on: December 18, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »
TDKR CIA guy :lawd
Margs

Tuckers Law

« Reply #4315 on: December 18, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
TDKR CIA guy :lawd

Littlefinger has machinations everywhere, from Langley to Baltimore.  Guys a true Sith Lord.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4316 on: December 18, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »

That's definitely true.  Doesn't feel like these recent movies have enough of an arc to them.  It felt like the second movie made stuff in the first one not matter and from spoilers, it looks like the new one then does this to the second one.  :lol
ど助平

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4317 on: December 18, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
JJ screwed the entire thing up from the start when he wrote the entire universe into an Obi-Wan sits around and ages extra fast plot hole.
wait what? can you refresh my memory on this one?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4318 on: December 18, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
Easy way to fix this- what did JJ do with Star Trek?  He made it take place in an alternate timeline. 

So just make a new trilogy that ignores this last one and retcons it to have taken place in an alternate universe or some shit.  SW nerds love that extended universe stuff, right?  Go with that.
ど助平

daemon

« Reply #4319 on: December 18, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »
wait what? can you refresh my memory on this one?

He's saying that to fill in a gap (how does the empire come back and overrule) he just thought: bigger deathstar with multiple lasers, fuck it!