Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550840 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Star War is dead. Long live the Star War! [pbuh]
« Reply #4320 on: December 18, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
JJ screwed up when he destroyed the entire New Republic in two seconds by Darth Vader cosplayers who somehow had the resources to build a 100x bigger and more powerful Death Star that no one knew about.

although when you think about it this way, if the new republic is recovering and things are getting better but evil is simmering under the surface as sith forces start trying to insidiously worm their way in to undermine the governments

instead of retreading the OT you're retreading the prequels  :kobeyuck

But just imagine if Watto's Trade Federation was blockading Kashyyyk and Luke and Leia had to go negotiate a settlement and keep Watto from kidnapping Chewbacca and forcing the Wookies to accept unfavorable terms.

:lawd
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4321 on: December 18, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
limp dick lightsabersman :rejoice

daemon

« Reply #4322 on: December 18, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
Alternate timelines are probably the most alienating thing you can do to fans and normal people. Even bore forums posters can't remember who count dooku is

What the fuck are you talking about. I clearly remember when he fought Master Gan-D'alph

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4323 on: December 18, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »
limp dick lightsabersman :rejoice

These Kojima villain names are getting out of hand.
Margs

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #4324 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
if someone asked you "what are the prequels about" you could sum it up fairly succinctly.

I have yet to understand like Christopher Lee's role in all of it - I think he's supposed to be a main villain, but really... who the fuck was his character? :lol And what meaning the robot guys in Episode 1 had in the movie, let alone in the rest of the series. Or what the emperor's plan was other than to get shot in the face. Also there's giant flies that build the Death Star? It was a convoluted mess of a narrative, much more than the new movies.
giant flies? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4325 on: December 18, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/12/18/review-disney-and-lucasfilms-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-is-a-terrible-end-to-the-skywalker-saga/amp/

The Rise of Skywalker is a bad movie and a miserable finale that serves no purpose other than to reassure adult fans of the original Star Wars that they are still the “chosen ones” of the pop culture galaxy.

:lucas
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4326 on: December 18, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »
Real talk: Real Star Wars fans wanted Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn in the sequel trilogy.

They could have even kept Snoke as a weird clone boi and just changed his name to Joruus C'baoth.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4327 on: December 18, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
#BugLivesMatter
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4328 on: December 18, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »
That was a good episode of Rebels.

The Saw Gerrera arc. :lawd

paprikastaude

« Reply #4329 on: December 18, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
Some guy walking past by me on the street, ranting something on the phone along the lines of "but then she died, but then some stupid kiss..."  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #4330 on: December 18, 2019, 05:19:52 PM »
every star war has an inflated rt score

Still true even for RoS :crazy

Boredfrom

« Reply #4331 on: December 18, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »
Some guy walking past by me on the street, ranting something on the phone along the lines of "but then she died, but then some stupid kiss..."  :doge

:lucille

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4332 on: December 18, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Someone on another forum mentioned after this most recent ep of mandalorian (might be the best tbh) that Carl Weathers' performance should be text book how to portray a SW character. Really strong secondary character. You don't miss Greef when he isn't on screen, but the show is always better when he pops up.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4333 on: December 18, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »
Apollo Creed is in a Star War? :leon

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4334 on: December 18, 2019, 06:16:45 PM »
when this shit is shit it always washes over you in waves

the latest realization dawning on star wars fans this evening is that the sith broadcast message mentioned in the iconic opening Star Wars text crawl™ does not appear in the film

this is because it happened during the exclusive live Fortnite event last weekend
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4335 on: December 18, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
Sounds like I can wait for this one to come to Netflix. 

Boredfrom

« Reply #4336 on: December 18, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
Sounds like I can wait for this one to come to Netflix.

:gurl

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4337 on: December 18, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »

Star Wars films have been rudderless since 1994.
It has been reheated and reinvented twice for a new generation.

Original Trilogy: Nerd creates fun and innovative space films with friends and mostly unknown actors, lightning in a bottle
Prequel Trilogy: "Kids" movies about taxation and trade routes to sell toys and pioneer digital film making
Disney Trilogy: Banking on the IP with a JJ nostalgia reboot, turning it edgy, angst and woke with the Last Jedi and finally trying to conclude something that started as something entirely different

The strength of the original Star Wars, was that it was such a misfit to the era it was created in, it was something exciting and different even if objectively it wasn't even technically or from an acting point of view the best film at the time.
Lucas tried to replicate that with the prequels, but he couldn't because the stakes were way higher and in 1994 when he started writing TPM he couldn't count on the same adults that liked SW in the 80's to turn up and watch it.
He aimed it at a new generation trying to fit in the popular things at the time (digitization, comic relief, politics). If you look at the popular movies of the late 90's (Titanic, Babe, Toy Story, The Lion King etc.) you can see where he was coming from
and why with TPM, AotC and ROTS he was always one step behind chasing the market except with his technology.

It sorta reminds me of the final season of Game of Thrones.
GoT at that point had changed from an at the time daring fantasy series that was carried mostly by seasoned actors like Mark Addy, Charles Dance and Sean Bean
to a multi-season cross media behemoth that had lost its best characters/actors and source material halfway through the show. So they had to fall back on the only thing they had left Dragons and 'epic' battle scenes with fast action.

Likewise after 20 years, JJ had nothing left to fall back on but nostalgia. And even that nostalgia exists in at least 2 or 3 different forms at this point.  :doge
Unless he did something entirely different (and Johnson tried but couldn't pull that off within the Disney corporate constraints, so that was off the table) there was no way this would not end in a mediocre final product.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:05:54 PM by Nintex »
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4338 on: December 18, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
It's all good 2020 this nostalgia dead.

Tasty

« Reply #4339 on: December 18, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #4340 on: December 18, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »
All they needed to do to explain Palpatine is name drop Darth Plagueis' discovery of immortality.

That would actually be a neat callback.
He literally, no fooling, says this line to Kylo Ren
[close]

NOT ON THE NOSE ENUFF :maf

That Darth Sidious shoutout by Luke in TLJ made me :gladbron

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4341 on: December 18, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »
Honestly I can't believe there isn't an entire force ghost Skywalker (plus Obi) family scene or shot in this. I'm talking Hayden Anakin, Natalie Portman Padme, Luke and Liea, maybe Anakin's mom, and Ewan Obi Wan giving Rey a nice smile and wave. That seemed like something JJ wouldn't be able to resist.
"If you wanna be Woman Thor, there something you gotta sign, first..."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4342 on: December 18, 2019, 09:06:48 PM »
lol it's below Jumanjii

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #4343 on: December 18, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
lol it's below Jumanjii

It'd be really awesome if The Rock and Jack Black became a bigger box office draw than Star Wars.

Disney should honestly take a look at a franchise that did it right for universe building. That franchise being Fast and Furious.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:23:25 PM by mormapope »
OH!

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4344 on: December 18, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »
i've seen worse films, but i'm not sure i've seen a more desperate one. it's like a frantic loser's last plea when getting dumped by someone way out of their league, begging them to remember all the good times and how everything they've got means soo much.

the clive barker/hammer horror palps is a proper laugh though, chewing every possible bit of scenery while being zipped around by his massive pneumatic mobilty arm. the characters talking around leia like she's a mostly mute puppet and interpreting every throwaway line they had left on the cutting room floor as something massively significant is also a right rib tickler if utterly morbid at the same time.

reading the plot points and leaks doesn't quite convey the smash cut reductiveness of how the whole farce comes together. something will be suggested, executed and already forgotten about by the time you've even gauged whats supposed to be happening. characters introduced and then 15 minutes later you're supposed to be invested in their relationship with the boring protaganists or plot that you've stopped bothering trying to keep up with when you've already forgotten their name. so many big attempts at emotional payoffs that borrow all their weight from films that had nothing to do with this vapid charade, like your parents couldn't afford the real star wars toys so got you some off brand ones and expect you to not tell the difference.

the fact the ending apes the victory shots of ROTJ to the point where ewoks are celebrating and pointing at the explosions in the sky is a masterful comment on just what a pointless waste of time this whole sorry endeavor was. the line "if we fail, it will have all been for nothing" is a recurring mantra in the film and it proves prophetic on a meta level.

i did probably enjoy it more than the last two if purely because of the massively OTT B movie moments or plot contrivances that genuinely had me laughing out loud, like ed wood meets ancient aliens.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:29:12 PM by headwalk »

Tasty

« Reply #4345 on: December 18, 2019, 11:27:13 PM »
:rejoice Cindi we eating :jeb

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4346 on: December 18, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »
i've seen worse films, but i'm not sure i've seen a more desperate one. it's like a frantic loser's last plea when getting dumped by someone way out of their league, begging them to remember all the good times and how everything they've got means soo much.

the clive barker/hammer horror palps is a proper laugh though, chewing every possible bit of scenery while being zipped around by his massive pneumatic mobilty arm. the characters talking around leia like she's a mostly mute puppet and interpreting every throwaway line they had left on the cutting room floor as something massively significant is also a right rib tickler if utterly morbid at the same time.

reading the plot points and leaks doesn't quite convey the smash cut reductiveness of how the whole farce comes together. something will be suggested, executed and already forgotten about by the time you've even gauged whats supposed to be happening. characters introduced and then 15 minutes later you're supposed to invested in their relationship with the boring protaganists or plot that you've stopped bothering trying to keep up with while you've already forgotten their name. so many big attempts at emotional payoffs that borrow all their weight from films that had nothing to do with this vapid charade, like your parents couldn't afford the real star wars toys so got you some off brand ones and expect you to not tell the difference.

the fact the ending apes the victory shots of ROTJ to the point where ewoks are pointing at the explosions in the sky celebrating is a masterful comment on just what a pointless waste of time this whole sorry endeavour was.

i did probably enjoy it more than the last two if purely because of the massively OTT B movie moments or plot contrivances that genuinely had me laughing out loud, like ed wood meets ancient aliens.

dog

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4347 on: December 18, 2019, 11:39:31 PM »
So really the sequel trilogy kills the theme that Anakin was the chosen one, because clearly he did not bring balance to the force, nor did his progeny.

Palpatine is the true chosen one.

:jeb

he didn't in the original trilogy either

it ends with zero living sith and exactly one jedi, which is not a balanced force, light side has its thumb on the scale
Uncle

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4348 on: December 18, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
at least we'll be spared the usual nit picking over plot holes. it dispenses so completely and shamelessly with any concept of narrative coherecy or believable world building that there would be no point.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #4349 on: December 18, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
the only 7/8/9 trilogy for me is final fantasy 7/8/9, they even pulled off the "nostalgic fan service after a divisive weird middle installment" thing better than this apparently does

I think maybe franchises like these need to lean into the beefs and fanbase fractures, it would be cool if they, like, announced that rian johnson would be writing and directing his own alternative version of ep9, just for the fan forum drama quotient. teasing that he is apparently going to be recreating his version of ff versus xiii as a kingdom hearts game (???) shows tetsuya nomura is perhaps again ahead of the curve here 
QED

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4350 on: December 18, 2019, 11:45:51 PM »
at least we'll be spared the usual nit picking over plot holes. it dispenses so completely and shamelessly with any concept of narrative coherecy or believable world building that there would be no point.

yeah that's the one thing I haven't read a single complaint about, that there are no TLJ style massive logic holes, partly because everyone explains everything out loud and why it's happening
Uncle

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4351 on: December 18, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
it's more like being told a story by your kid. you don't grill your 8 year old on why the evil man who was thrown down a hole into the exploding core of a space station is still alive and able to build a giant fleet of spaceships on his own from his secret planet, because you'd be an idiot to expect a proper answer.

daemon

« Reply #4352 on: December 19, 2019, 03:18:07 AM »
On the bright side, Mandalorian episode was pretty good.

Himu

« Reply #4353 on: December 19, 2019, 03:38:53 AM »
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4354 on: December 19, 2019, 05:03:33 AM »

The return of Death Troopers. :lawd (Rogue One da gawd)

Shitty ass cliffhanger ending. :goty

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #4355 on: December 19, 2019, 05:37:36 AM »
Gotta leave an opening for a fourth trilogy. :money
Hi

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4356 on: December 19, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »
sooo how bad was it?

daemon

« Reply #4357 on: December 19, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »

The return of Death Troopers. :lawd (Rogue One da gawd)

Shitty ass cliffhanger ending. :goty

I actually liked the cliffhanger considering the next episode is the finale.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4358 on: December 19, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »
Easy way to fix this- what did JJ do with Star Trek?  He made it take place in an alternate timeline. 

So just make a new trilogy that ignores this last one and retcons it to have taken place in an alternate universe or some shit.  SW nerds love that extended universe stuff, right?  Go with that.

If they truly want to retcon it, just fucking break the entire thing from Force Awakens out. Everything after Episode 6/Return of the Jedi is non-canon: Going forward, the "sequel sequel Trilogy" is 60+ years into the future, thereby older actors (Luke, Han, Leia, Palpatine) can't be used because they're FUCKING DEAD (and no, using CGI for their force ghosts or whatever is dumb, don't do that shit).

Gives them good reasons to have the empire/resistance shit happen again without it being #TOOSOON'd.

The whole Sequel Trilogy was dumb from the get-go because the time-line was way too soon. I get they wanted the big three back, but in that case they should've had the three movies build up to a (Star) "War"(s). Which would've made for boring watching, but at least it'd make more sense than "wait, how the fuck is Death Star 2.0 happening in like a year after the wars' end?"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:59:53 AM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #4359 on: December 19, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4360 on: December 19, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
:phil

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4361 on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:18 AM »
Fuckin pre-ordered IMAX tickets for this shit   :-\

A whole trilogy created and it's probably going to fade from memory as quickly as any other modern Disney film
:9

daemon

« Reply #4362 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
Fuckin pre-ordered IMAX tickets for this shit   :-\

A whole trilogy created and it's probably going to fade from memory as quickly as any other modern Disney film

And in this case, "what can I say except you're welcome!"

I'm so glad I don't remember most of these two movies. Alien titty milk will never fade away, sadly

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4363 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
Maybe it wasn't about the movies, but the toys we bought along the way.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4364 on: December 19, 2019, 09:47:53 AM »
can't even look at my $300 kylo lightsaber just feels wrong :(

(I don't own one, I'm an adult.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4365 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »

I mean, in this economy you just have to rent.
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4366 on: December 19, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »

He probably borrows his mom's.  :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4367 on: December 19, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
I have an acquaintance who unabashedly loves and defends TLJ to the consternation of all

I should buy 50 clearance priced star wars figurines for 50 cents and passive aggressively mail them to him one by one
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4368 on: December 19, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

I love this joke. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4369 on: December 19, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
Mando was good.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #4370 on: December 19, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
Is there a cam yet?  :shh :smug
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #4371 on: December 19, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »
I was trying to look up how Hobbly Bobberts (PBUH) has been reacting to the new Star War and came across this article.
https://www.thewrap.com/rae-dawn-chong-spike-lee-soul-man/

Rae has me convinced to give it another shot, especially since I’ve never actually watched Soul Man all the way through, having only seen the movie piecemail when it used to be a Comedy Central staple.  I bet it’s better than the Star War too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:45:59 PM by Tuckers Law »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4372 on: December 19, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
I was looking at wookiepedia to see what it had to say about my boi Emperor Sheevy Deevy and came across an article about Operation: Cinder that explains that before the battle of endor, Palpers had a vision of Snoke taking over the empire and began setting forth a plan to start building/amassing weapons in the outer rim or whatever the fuck its called in Star Wars lore because he felt the empire should die if he were to die and had plans to make sure the empire was destroyed after he died by getting a small group of empire nerds to like...kill everyone to make it seem like the empire was truly dead and gone but in reality they would go to the outer limits so they could....rebuild the empire. The plan was for his group to lure both the remaining empire nerds and the rebels to Jakku, which would be blown up by dumping a bunch of sith artifacts into a telescope or something that would blow up the planet and kill all the remaining people, then his group would escape to the suburbs and rebuild the empire. That he wanted everyone to think was dead because he was dead. For reason.

But you know, he wasn't dead. So.

:What

:beli

:lol

This is canon, btw.
You can play the story of Operation Cinder in EA Star Wars Battlefront II.
I'm playing it right now, it's a fun little action romp but the story makes no sense.
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Boredfrom

« Reply #4374 on: December 19, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »
Remember when Grievius was a OP Jedi killer and in Revenge of the Sith he got killed by a blaster while coughing?

This was when Lucas was in charge. Now imagine a giant corporation that could care even less than him.

Ghoul

« Reply #4375 on: December 19, 2019, 04:40:52 PM »
Mando was good this week, liked the cliffhanger. Enjoyed the “son of a bitch I’m in” moments.

Himu

« Reply #4376 on: December 19, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/xBrandonGPx/status/1206634795842883584

:dead

I  have to see AOTC when I'm high as balls, man. I've only seen it once.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:51:12 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4377 on: December 19, 2019, 04:49:14 PM »

The video from the Twitter clip
🤴

NekoFever

« Reply #4378 on: December 19, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
I just saw it. It wasn’t prequel bad but it’s aggressively mediocre for most of the running time. It’s got that bad video game plotting of JJ films where going anywhere requires a chase sequence that will always conveniently end right at their intended destination.

But then the final act is like...

One bit that’s going to trigger a lot of TLJ fans:

Rey goes to Ach-To and tries to throw away the Skywalker lightsaber. Luke’s Force ghost appears and catches it, and admonishes her that such a weapon deserves more respect than that.
[close]

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4379 on: December 19, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
One bit that’s going to trigger a lot of TLJ fans:

Rey goes to Ach-To and tries to throw away the Skywalker lightsaber. Luke’s Force ghost appears and catches it, and admonishes her that such a weapon deserves more respect than that.
[close]

this is awesome because it's both shitting on TLJ and completely in character with how that movie left him at the end of his arc
Uncle