Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557577 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2880 on: January 15, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
Googled and none of the Korriban/Sith race stuff is canon, watch it come up as a separate JJ Abrams 'original' trilogy

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2881 on: January 15, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
Oh yeah, I watched 10mn of The Force Awakens before falling asleep (lol) because I was dead tired. Obviously a very limited judgement but I honestly was a bit aggravated by the direction. Felt like it was rehashing A New Hope with the only fresh added element being try hard / irrelevant angles (filming from the POV of stormtroopers in dropships like it is Saving Private Ryan :what). It's not hideous looking and cinematography was overall close to what I would expect from a Star Wars film.

Kailo Rain stopping the laser mid air was cool tho.

Maybe one day :yeshrug
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2882 on: January 15, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2883 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:47 AM »
And Ewoks are a really stupid twist on Viet Minh warfare.

It rules that George Lucas made a movie where the NLFSV are cute sentient ursine creatures and The Troops™™™ :american are stormtroopers.

Tasty

« Reply #2884 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2885 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »

I cried a bit watching this, poor mark hamill now that hes aged having to watch his character and franchise he worked so hard on be destroyed in front of him

:neogaf
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2886 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
I empathize with Mark's plight, of watching something turn out differently than expected, and not a direction I'd wanted. "This is not going to go the way you think…"

And there have been times where I was wrong about it, it turned out fine, better than fine. It turned out great.

TLJ is one of those things. To his credit, he nailed the role he didn't want to play.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2887 on: January 16, 2018, 09:16:59 PM »
Hamill is just as fanboy-ish as the rest of awful Star Wars fans.  He's bitched about the direction of the series since Empire.  I appreciate his position, but the direction of his character is EXACTLY what is in-line with how the series has portrayed him up to this date while still giving him the send-off he deserves.

I'm getting fucking tired of people bitching about Luke, Rey, and Kylo in this movie.  I know there's much out there as to WHY people don't like it; I just simply don't agree with them.
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2888 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
The hardcore fanbase that seems to comprise fandom nowadays is the worse I've ever seen it. They've gone from I like this thing and hope it turns out well to, I have one very specific vision of this thing and if its not exactly like how I want it, then its complete shit and I'm never going to shut up about it.

It's not just Star Wars. It's just about everything.

There was always this side to fandom. But it feels increasingly tiresome nowadays. Or maybe I just increasingly find it tiresome to engage.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2889 on: January 16, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
The hardcore Paddington fanbaes have no complaints  :pimp :pimp

Himu

« Reply #2890 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
Pretty sure Mark is fine with the direction of the movie. He had his kids in the movie after all. But Mark knows the pulse of the more nerd centric part of the fanbase, being bit of a geek himself. I think he was trying to soften the blow, play PR, and prepare people for the different expectations, to curb a bad fan reaction to the movie like the one we saw at release. I believe he has said he had to be sold on the vision of TLJ's Luke and eventually came to accept it. He was just trying to act as a sort of mediator between fanbase and creator here to help some fans come to terms with the movies differences more than he was actually criticizing the movie. Notice that in his talks he talks of it in a past tense. "I disagree with everything about my character" He's telling Rian that in a past tense as if that was his initial reaction, which changed - with time.

A very important distinction to make I think.

And to be frank, I think the stuff TakingBackSunday posted sounded just as fanboy-ish as the other stuff he's talking about, except on the flip side. So there's that. :idont Like this idea that anyone who doesn't like the direction of Luke is nothing but a fanboy (GENDER ERASURE!!!! spoiler: :lol) is ridiculous and I say this as someone who enjoyed every single bit of Luke in that movie.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:05:48 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2891 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »
If all that's left is commentary on each other's opinions then maybe it's time to say fuck it, wax on, wax off. This film wasnt exactly citizen cane and does nothing for film itself that can be discussed further than 'neat' nor will it's influence be felt outside the star wars fandom.

Himu

« Reply #2892 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »
Agreed. I forgot I even saw the movie except when I see this thread. It's another forgettable modern Blockbuster. :idont
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2893 on: January 17, 2018, 12:03:56 AM »
I forgot I even saw the movie

Girl you've got like a thousands posts in this thread.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2894 on: January 17, 2018, 12:47:36 AM »

:lol

Cindi, you know you've got it wrong when Mandark is calling someone out and it's not even the politics thread.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/953107873487208448

Himu

« Reply #2895 on: January 17, 2018, 01:14:49 AM »

Like I said, only when I see this thread. I don't see how that's hard to comprehend. I forget the movie exists then I see this thread and I'm reminded of TLJ's existence. :idont
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2896 on: January 17, 2018, 02:08:14 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
:nsfw
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:23:34 AM by chronovore »

agrajag

« Reply #2897 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:24 AM »
To those that didn't like Luke's characterization, how would you have liked the character handled (within the framework established by TFA)?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2898 on: January 17, 2018, 02:55:49 AM »
On a side note, I'm slowly making my way through the audiobook versions of these.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Thrawn_Trilogy

I've never been remotely interested in Star Wars EU stuff but the annual release schedule of these star war films does make me more interested in Star Wars in general for about a month. Generally, I satiate that hunger by watching various prequel fan edit versions of the films like an insane person but this year decided to try something different instead. I guess, I'll post my thoughts on them as I finish each book.

Finished up the first of these Heir to the Empire.

It's an interesting exercise to read/listen to this stuff. Partially because I find myself doing a thought process of wondering if the material would work as a movie. My brain says no. That this book works effectively as a piece of EU content in book form, but probably wouldn't work as well as filmed material. I have specific reasons for thinking that but then again I wonder if I read a novelized version of New Hope without ever having seen a film version would I think, yeah that's a fun book but its hard to imagine that as a movie.

Either way, I think its a fun enough read. It's sort of fun to get into the thoughts of Star Wars characters which you really can't do in a movie. It fleshes them out in a way that a book can that a movie can't.

Thrawn himself seems like a good villain and less insane than the emperor or vader. Joruus C'baothn seems more in line with being a typical evil bad guy as seen in the movie.

All the additions are basically sort of the idea that this stuff was all around during the OG trilogy but never mentioned or focused on. Which is fine. Although I have a feeling if it was a movie nerds would nitpick the shit out of that. Not that it bothers me.

So it seems like good material for people who are already fans of Star Wars which is who its aimed it. Already started the next one. I basically listen to it at night in bed until I fall asleep.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2899 on: January 17, 2018, 03:06:47 AM »
To those that didn't like Luke's characterization, how would you have liked the character handled (within the framework established by TFA)?

From what I've seen it boils down to a few things that keep getting repeated from people who have that position.

1.) NO JOKES. Luke should be serious bizness
2.) Luke would never go so far as to pull out his blade on sleeping Kylo Ren.
3.) Luke would begrudgingly train Rey and/or go help her kill Snoke.
4.) Luke would have done some bad ass killing showing he is the most powerful jedi and then nobly get killed at the end instead of astral projecting himself and dying quietly by himself.

Note that none of this is necessarily my opinion. Just what I see get posted by people who have this position in every single thread on every forum that isn't this one.

agrajag

« Reply #2900 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:54 AM »

From what I've seen it boils down to a few things that keep getting repeated from people who have that position.

1.) NO JOKES. Luke should be serious bizness
2.) Luke would never go so far as to pull out his blade on sleeping Kylo Ren.
3.) Luke would begrudgingly train Rey and/or go help her kill Snoke.
4.) Luke would have done some bad ass killing showing he is the most powerful jedi and then nobly get killed at the end instead of astral projecting himself and dying quietly by himself.

Note that none of this is necessarily my opinion. Just what I see get posted by people who have this position in every single thread on every forum that isn't this one.

Well thanks for answering. I know those aren't your opinions, but nunber 4 is silly fan service wish fulfilment stuff that is similar to yoda doing kung fu flips in the prequels, and 2 was something I very much enjoyed about the film. I mean, to be apalled at the notion is to believe that Luke is some infallible hero. But the backstory hinted at in TFA already presupposes that Luke failed.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2901 on: January 17, 2018, 04:18:10 AM »
Personally I was fine with nearly all the luke stuff.

I thought the astral projection thing was a little odd. But that's mainly because I wasn't a huge fan in general of them being trapped in a cave and moving some rocks at the end of the movie to get out of it. Him buying time essentially yanking their chain isn't the most thrilling thing in the world to me.

But in the context of if that's the plotline you are doing no matter what then the force projection thing in that context works fine.

I think him not really training Rey is one of those cases of good subversion of expectations. I'm not saying it would have been bad if they had done it but its one of those things that's so expected that I found it to be welcome and kept me on my toes.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2902 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:58 AM »
It's obvious that Cindi doesn't care about the movie,  I mean with several 100% more posts about tlj than most people have made in this entire thread I mean, how could it not be obvious?!
que

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2903 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:59 AM »
The astral projection stuff was used by Yoga flame in the clone wars already so it's old canon, iirc using hyperdrive jump as a weapon is too and the bit with the rocks and the animals leading them through a cave is lifted directly off the last 2 part episode of Rebels.

Speaking of people's expectations, I think they generally wanted this for Rey and Luke (i cant give a fuck)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:26:02 AM by Momo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2904 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:33 AM »
Somehow, the first time I saw that REBELS scene, I missed out on how it's a dad and son playing baseball in the front yard, in addition to being Jedi training.
:uguu

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2905 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:01 AM »
The astral projection stuff was used by Yoga flame in the clone wars already so it's old canon, iirc using hyperdrive jump as a weapon is too and the bit with the rocks and the animals leading them through a cave is lifted directly off the last 2 part episode of Rebels.

My issue with the astral projection wasn't canon. I don't really care about canon in that way. It was more that it was just kind of meh to me after the initial interesting surprise wore off. I was just kind of like that is what saved them? Really?

They can't catch up to them with all those vehicles or fly over the mountain to the other side?

agrajag

« Reply #2906 on: January 17, 2018, 04:34:19 AM »
I thought the astral projection thing was cool, but kind of a gimmick. But then again, Luke showing up in person and having this grand stand off with Kylo would have been even dumber.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2907 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:21 AM »
The Empire (or whatever they were called) were written as complete idiots for whatever reason, that broke a lot of the film because every 5 mins i was sitting there going 'why dont they just x'.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2908 on: January 17, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »

My issue with the astral projection wasn't canon. I don't really care about canon in that way. It was more that it was just kind of meh to me after the initial interesting surprise wore off. I was just kind of like that is what saved them? Really?

They can't catch up to them with all those vehicles or fly over the mountain to the other side?

The Empire (or whatever they were called) were written as complete idiots for whatever reason, that broke a lot of the film because every 5 mins i was sitting there going 'why dont they just x'.

agrajag

« Reply #2909 on: January 17, 2018, 04:39:22 AM »
So is the resistance tbh. Why didn't the admiral lady just tell a droid to ram the ship into the new order ship, why did she have to die

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2910 on: January 17, 2018, 04:41:10 AM »
Because Rian Johnson thinks all of you Star Wars fans are morons and he treated you so lol

agrajag

« Reply #2911 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:17 AM »
 :morans :lucas

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2912 on: January 17, 2018, 04:48:46 AM »
Because Rian Johnson thinks all of you Star Wars fans are morons and he treated you so lol
Was he wrong? :trumps
que

agrajag

« Reply #2913 on: January 17, 2018, 04:51:37 AM »

all I know for sure is that Cindi don't curr about this movie

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2914 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »

Don't start thinking like that, or you'll start wondering why they landed on the planet and basically used siege engines rather than aerial bombardment.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2915 on: January 17, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
The issue for me is I'm a film fan first and not even close to what you would describe as a star wars fan, so those kinda things stood out for me, instead of being hidden behind a flashing light show of light sabers, red salt, marvel jokes and Luke Skywalker, yes I can turn my brain off and enjoy action adventures, this just wasnt getting anywhere close to motivating me to do so. Pretty effects in places though, will give it that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2916 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:01 AM »
OMG, just dawned on me that the entire battleground on Crait was fought on the symbolic salt of fanboy tears.

Don't start thinking like that, or you'll start wondering why they landed on the planet and basically used siege engines rather than aerial bombardment.
There's a throwaway line in there that specifically talks about it, but I can't recall offhand what it was.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2917 on: January 17, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
I don't think Rian Johnson was at all subtle with his disdain for Star Wars fans :lol

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2918 on: January 17, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
I know that the steady stream of uncritical puff pieces about actually existing American fascists lately in U.S. papers of record like the New York Times may have lead people to believe that fascists are wily geniuses who operate 8 steps ahead of everyone else, but the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in the middle of the summer with an army that was only 20% mechanized at its very peak.

If the terminal stupidity of the First Order broke your suspension of disbelief in another entry of a long running space opera series you could probably stand to read more about how terminally stupid actually existing fascists were and are.

e: If you think this is out of left field, the First Order is very unsubtly based on ODESSA.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2919 on: January 17, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
The Bee Gee's album?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2920 on: January 17, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
There's a throwaway line in there that specifically talks about it, but I can't recall offhand what it was.

When they're getting out all the old equipment there's a line about how they've got the base's shields raised. It's pretty much the same as in the Battle of Hoth in Empire, the base was shielded against aerial bombardment, but ground units weren't effected by it [for whatever reason].
dog

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2921 on: January 17, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
Can we get a Cindi post count for this thread?
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2922 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Did Last Jedi leak yet?
A friend was downloading it on day two, so it's been out for a bit.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2923 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »
Don’t waste your time. Watch something good like Czech Xtreme #02 Play Fisty for Me.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2924 on: January 18, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »
Did Last Jedi leak yet?
A friend was downloading it on day two, so it's been out for a bit.

Not talking about cams, breh.

Ah. Does that even happen? Movies getting leaked before their source is available to consumers?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2925 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2926 on: January 18, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
There are potentially hundreds of those.
rub

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2927 on: January 18, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
Sometimes. Mostly during screener season. But TFA and now TLJ somehow averted this.

Sometimes a studio puts out an R5 early that gets put up real quick, too

Tasty

« Reply #2928 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-heres-what-lukes-third-lesson-to-rey-in-the-las-1821467308

Ah finally an explanation of that teaser scene I wanted to see. Neat. Hope to see it on the BR.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2929 on: January 18, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-heres-what-lukes-third-lesson-to-rey-in-the-las-1821467308

Ah finally an explanation of that teaser scene I wanted to see. Neat. Hope to see it on the BR.

Oh, man, I hope they include a whole bunch. That scene sounds good. I also like the parallel between Luke on Dagobah being warned not to go, and Rey doing the same thing on Ach-To or whatsit.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2930 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
It sounds like there were a number of cut scenes that were actually pretty good, but they just didn't have any space for them with everything else that the movie did.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2931 on: January 18, 2018, 11:18:32 PM »
It sounds like there were a number of cut scenes that were actually pretty good, but they just didn't have any space for them with everything else that the movie did.

Deleted scenes from the Prequels were a lot less well organized:
https://imgur.com/gallery/SNXeF

etiolate

« Reply #2932 on: January 19, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
That sounds like a useful scene. Someone is going to make a fan cut with the Rose storyline removed and the deleted scenes put back in.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2933 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2934 on: January 19, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
What an odd channel.
rub

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2935 on: January 19, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
Death Star engineers: smart enough to design the ultimate space weapon, but not smart enough to correct design flaws/security measures once they knew the plans were stolen.

Maybe the problem was still in committee.

Tasty

« Reply #2936 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
To be fair that sorta describes the state of computer security today.

Who knows about how many backdoors and zero days the NSA are hoarding.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2937 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Death Star engineers: smart enough to design the ultimate space weapon, but not smart enough to correct design flaws/security measures once they knew the plans were stolen.

Maybe the problem was still in committee.

The time frame from the theft of the plans to the assault on Yavin IV was only a few days, and I think everyone on the Imperial side who knew there was a fatal flaw ended up getting killed.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Boredfrom

« Reply #2939 on: January 19, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »

Well, he considers a big SW fan that is discussing in the playground and using EU books to justify plot holes.