Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557572 times)

Tasty

Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #4860 on: December 30, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
The cool thing with Kotor is it's so long ago you can have plausible deniability on basically everything changing by the time of the prequels, which I'm sure was the original intention anyways.

The only thing holding it back is the big bad being another "The Emperor," but like, WAAAYYYYYY COOLER THAN SIDIOUS, BRO! 8) "Fuck that twat Plageuis 3000 years in the future, I'm basically immortal already baby! Ayyyyyy who wants to host my consciousness?"

Tasty

« Reply #4861 on: December 30, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »
Also reading up on ToR's recent story developments, the lore really is kind of diluted by the need to make it fit inside a videogame. But I guess if they reference stuff they'd recontextualize the game stuff out anyways...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4862 on: December 30, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »
That dude's George Lucas is dead on, but he needs more of a gullet. Speaking of, lol at how many aliens in TPM were clearly based on George and his weird ass neck and he never recognized it or at least acknowledged it.
It was probably a prank by the staff and he couldn't really point that out  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #4863 on: December 30, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
The title is kind of a spoilar tho

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4864 on: December 30, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
"I think the Rise of Skywalker, it doesn't answer anything"

Right you are Kathleen  :lol
🤴

Tasty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4868 on: January 01, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »
he'll be stabbing rey with dat big black lightsaber  ;)

Tasty

« Reply #4869 on: January 01, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »
he'll be stabbing rey with dat big black lightsaber  ;)

Now I know why #Darksaber was trending. :phil

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4871 on: January 01, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
Focus groups didn't take into accounts random fanbases that will RAGE if you mess with their boy/girl.  :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4872 on: January 01, 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
tOxIc faNdOmS
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4873 on: January 01, 2020, 10:43:23 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #4874 on: January 01, 2020, 10:43:30 PM »
KIDS ARE GOING TO BE TRAUMATIZED ABOUT THIS, THINK ABOUT THE 5-6 YEAR OLDS

even though characters are dying like every fifteen minutes over the last film and a half :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4875 on: January 01, 2020, 10:47:42 PM »
Imagine crying over the death of the dude who killed his own dad and nearly his killed his own mom, got into big physical fights with his on again/off again girlfriend, and was a major player in the destruction of an entire star system full of people.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #4876 on: January 01, 2020, 10:47:57 PM »
Imagine getting that upset over the treatment of a Star Wars character.

*side eyes at Rose Tico*

benjipwns

« Reply #4877 on: January 01, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »
didn't they spend like all their personal time together (when not fighting) in The Force Chats, it was like an internet-only relationship

benjipwns

« Reply #4878 on: January 01, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »
Imagine crying over the death of the dude who killed his own dad and nearly his killed his own mom, got into big physical fights with his on again/off again girlfriend, and was a major player in the destruction of an entire star system full of people.
She changed him!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4879 on: January 02, 2020, 01:22:22 AM »

I never understood the appeal of kylo ren. I get that Adam Driver is a good actor the but the actual character is a big pile of shit. And not even a fun pile of shit. Whether he ever "redeemed" himself or not was nothing I cared about ever. And the idea that Rey had some sort of love connection with a psychopath is really troubling when you examine the psychology of it.

Boredfrom

« Reply #4880 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:57 AM »
It also baffles me, I thought he was a unlikeable dipshit worse than Anakin (attitude wise), but I suppose the character was so pathetic that people sort of feel for him.

The character having fangirls is not surprising, however. That they use Rey as some sort of self insert is probably the reason why the shippers here are more batshit crazy.

Tasty

« Reply #4881 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1212090062147637251

Slay 'em, king. :whew

I mean, what's the comparison here?

Finn is basically getting made into a giant dad the whole trilogy by both sexes.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4882 on: January 02, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »
Is this Loss ?
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4883 on: January 02, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
It's funny and weird that the Reylo fans losing their shit are mostly girls and the Rose stans were mostly male feminists.
The same people that gave the original mostly male Star Wars fanbase shit for wrecking TLJ on the internet.

Meanwhile the LGTBQ+ people are disappointed FinnPoe didn't happen but not nearly as vocal about it.

Disney has successfully pissed off every inch of their fanbase. It's like poetry, it rhymes.
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4884 on: January 02, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
I don't want to get into the dark psychology of women, but almost all of them love vampire movies.

Now that I think about it, the Sith (in the latest trilogy) were just space vampires. Immortality, turning normies (they are fond of) into becoming one of them, using murder as tool to gain power, etc.

Boredfrom

« Reply #4885 on: January 02, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
Being fair, people burning their merchandise of their favorite character because shipping is also common with male otakus.

kingv

« Reply #4886 on: January 02, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »

I never understood the appeal of kylo ren. I get that Adam Driver is a good actor the but the actual character is a big pile of shit. And not even a fun pile of shit. Whether he ever "redeemed" himself or not was nothing I cared about ever. And the idea that Rey had some sort of love connection with a psychopath is really troubling when you examine the psychology of it.

I think he’s just the only character that has any kind of arc whatsoever. How can one be a fan of Rey, she has like no titties or character development.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4887 on: January 02, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

According to some person on Reddit JJ got overruled by Disney on key decisions and his 3 hour cut was butchered and now #ReleaseTheJJCut" is trending  :lol
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4888 on: January 02, 2020, 02:09:18 PM »
Everyone involved is now desperately trying to blame someone else for the mess. :neogaf
dog

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4889 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
Star Wars gets a black eye because Disney and Kathleen Kennedy can't stop meddling with shit. Pretty much the opposite portrayal from the Last Jedi and Rian Johnson.

Tasty

« Reply #4890 on: January 02, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

According to some person on Reddit JJ got overruled by Disney on key decisions and his 3 hour cut was butchered and now #ReleaseTheJJCut" is trending  :lol

Huge if true. That said, despite DC vs. Marvel being one of the points the way they've presented the petty inside squabbling seems like actual politics at the studio usually do. So this:

WB wants Abrams for some DC projects. My source said that this generation’s Star Wars is the MCU, and Marvel’s biggest threat is a well operational DC. They want to keep DC in the limbo that they’re in right now. Abrams jumpstarting that franchise with something like a successful, audience-pleasing Superman movie makes them nervous. Their goal is to make JJ look bad to potential investors/shareholders.

Actually wouldn't surprise me.

My source said they’ve never seen anything like this happen before. He’s the director and he wasn’t in the know about what they were doing behind his back.

Yeah, a major Hollywood studio has NEVER gone behind a director's back and dumped a different movie into theaters than expected. This is without precedent, for sure.

Tasty

« Reply #4891 on: January 02, 2020, 02:42:07 PM »
JJ wanted to do some scenes he thought were important but Disney shut it down citing budgetary reasons.

:dizzy Lol this doesn't follow to me. If anything it seems like Disney overspent on this thing.

Tasty

« Reply #4892 on: January 02, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »
Wrong thread.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4893 on: January 02, 2020, 04:21:02 PM »

I think he’s just the only character that has any kind of arc whatsoever. How can one be a fan of Rey, she has like no titties or character development.

I never bought his arc. I never for a second thought he would or could be redeemed. And when it does happen in this film, I didn't buy it for one sec. I thought his bitching throughout was undeserved. He always felt like a teen anime character. But to each his own. Lots of people are fans of him. I never was. Especially since he nominally plays the role of the big bad in this trilogy but never feels especially intimidating. Rey was fine to me for the first movie and half. And then like a lot of characters in the trilogy, it starts to fall apart.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:30:36 PM by Stoney Mason »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4894 on: January 02, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
you think marvel is going to keep moving with the same strength as before in spite of reaching a natural conclusion point for many people?  no fatigue?
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4895 on: January 02, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »
We might not see endgame levels of money for a long time but 08.-1B movies will keep coming for a long time. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4896 on: January 02, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
Saltier Than Crait is a community for those who are critical of the recent new Star Wars revival from Disney and wish to have intelligent, respectful discourse about it.

:lol :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #4897 on: January 02, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »
Oh wow eight whole years?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4898 on: January 02, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »
The comic book movie trend will eventually die down at some point, just like every other entertainment trend before it, there's just no way to really know when that's going to happen. Certainly there's nothing presently to show that we've reached the tipping point yet. I do think Phase 4 will be less successful overall than Phase 3 [which was capped off by the highest grossing movie of all time], but it won't be a huge crash by any means.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #4899 on: January 02, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »
Here's the thing, and it's always been The Thing:

If Disney/Marvel act smartly, they can keep the trend going for a long time (as they've done already.)

If they don't, then it won't.

I'm unsure how the next Avengers/"culmination movie" (and Phase 4 overall) will play out for general audiences now that Disney+ will be required going forward. Certainly, most viewers didn't know "everyone" in Endgame but still could enjoy it quite a bit. Disney/Feige's job is to ride that line as long as they can without falling off.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4900 on: January 02, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Also between influencers, social media and other stuff there's plenty of ways now to keep comic book movies popular, which weren't available in the past.
The only way to undermine Disney is to do what Netflix is doing, which is to release original quality film sometimes anchored by actors from big budget Disney movies directly to their streaming service.

Disney at this point still has to rely on big box office numbers to make up for the increasing production costs of the movies.
As we've seen with Dark Phoenix, making 'cheaper' comic book movies just isn't doable.

I think the crash will be fast and hard, like 3 flops in a row for Disney corp to steer away from comic book movies.

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4901 on: January 02, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »
I think the Disney + thing will help not hinder, not because of the TV shows, but because the MCU movies will be one of the few things worth watching on there and so people who didn't watch captain marvel or antman will be more likely too just out of boredom.  This is different from netflix which only ever had a handful of MCU movies available at once.     

Tasty

« Reply #4902 on: January 02, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »
I'm just wondering how far off we are from "Previously, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer Avengers: Secret Wars..."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4903 on: January 02, 2020, 08:05:12 PM »
I'm just wondering how far off we are from "Previously, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer Avengers: Secret Wars..."
Agents of SHIELD was their attempt on that, and it worked fine. I mean, I was seriously hooked on that for a while. The biggest roadbump was their s2 need to coordinate their episode premieres with the HYDRA reveal.

Tasty

« Reply #4904 on: January 02, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
Agents of SHIELD was their attempt on that, and it worked fine. I mean, I was seriously hooked on that for a while. The biggest roadbump was their s2 need to coordinate their episode premieres with the HYDRA reveal.

Sorry, but like Kevin Feige, I don't consider any of the shows pre-Disney+ to be canon.

Except maybe the Netflix stuff, but only retroactively if they decide to keep the same actors.

Tasty

« Reply #4905 on: January 02, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »
Shit man Netflix stuff is certainly less canon than AOS.

We'll see! Disney just got the rights back literally yesterday and there's lots of rumors.

On the other hand, you're never going to see Coulson alive in the films (I dunno if he died AGAIN in the series or not, bailed in s2.) Or May or Fitz or whoever's left. The most SHIELD can do is reflect the films, but it's never been reflected back.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #4906 on: January 02, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4907 on: January 02, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »

Sorry, but like Kevin Feige, I don't consider any of the shows pre-Disney+ to be canon.

Except maybe the Netflix stuff, but only retroactively if they decide to keep the same actors.

:lol

The nice part about the MCU is how linear it all is. No reboots, no weird-ass clones, no failed universe-retconning bullshit.

And now Disney's going to roll into that muck with glee.

:popcorn.gif

Himu

« Reply #4908 on: January 02, 2020, 10:44:48 PM »
:lol

This movies post release fuckery
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4909 on: January 02, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »
People tend to laugh at #SuperheroFatigue but shit is inevitable. Whether it happens next year or twenty years from now, who knows.

Can't wait till Kingdom Come is adapted as the Unforgiven/Irishman to the genre in 2058

As a personal note, I was on board with the MCU since Iron Man and probably only missed seeing a handful of films in the cinema. Endgame is probably the last one I'll see in the cinema and maybe even at all. I have not seen the new Spiderman and have zero desire to see it. None of the announced phase 4 titles are of any interest to me either.

The fatigue is real. It now just depends if it is a long tail or a short one.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #4910 on: January 02, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #4911 on: January 02, 2020, 10:49:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Extremely bad vibes. This is why I was never fully on board with TFA either. Starkiller base on its own completely invalidates the point of the OT. Palps just needed to wait 30 years and he got a Death Star x100.

(Then he just needed to wait ~1.5 years after that before his hundreds of Death Star-tech packing Star Destroyer fleet was finished.)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4912 on: January 03, 2020, 04:26:54 AM »
The prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy both suffer from the same big problem: Feature creep.

In the original trilogy, the force and the Jedi were mysterious and certainly not super humans. Even Yoda had to concentrate and focus his energy just to get Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp. It enhanced people's natural skills and abilities, it didn't immediately turn them into super soldiers.

The prequels ramped up the force into some sort of super power and the Jedi were unstoppable killing machines that could take out whole armies. They basically videogamed the force.

The sequels dialled that up to 11 with force healing, astral projection, force ghosts interacting with physical objects and all sorts of shit.

This is why Poe and Finn were sidelined so quickly and they had to give Leia force powers. Normal people were rendered irrelevant to the story as anything they wanted to do could be done faster and more efficiently by some force user without them breaking a sweat.
Spud

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4913 on: January 03, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »
the only powers jedi need is the handwave thing, moving shit around, and being able to jump really high. :hmph the rest is wack.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4914 on: January 03, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4916 on: January 04, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
Saw TFA for the first time since it came out and I was pleasantly surprised because I hated it the first time. It's a little bit schizophrenic because there's a good movie here with some clear executive interference. I don't have to name all the dumb things - everyone knows what they are. Finn turned out to be a good character. Rey, not so much (we're not given nearly enough character development). I actually loved Finn and Rey's chemistry as a pair of protagonists.

I'm having trouble weighing the good against the bad. The good parts were very good. The bad parts were hard to get over. But because I've come around on so many of the things that soured me before (Domhnall Gleeson's Nazi screaming, Death Star 3, TRAITOR!), I had a good experience overall.

I also saw Rogue One. This manages to go in the same trash heap as ROTJ. There's no use comparing which is better because both are so bad.

5 >> 3 > 1 > 7 > 4 > 2 >> 6 = R1
每天生气

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4917 on: January 04, 2020, 10:20:11 AM »
Imagine thinking revenge of the sith and phantom menace are better than a new hope
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4918 on: January 04, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Imagine thinking TLJ is better than TFA and ROS. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4919 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:49 PM »
Imagine thinking TLJ is better than TFA and ROS.

It is. 100% true. Congratulations, you've already won.